Jeans, Compression Stockings Veins and Sweat!

jubelee1872000

Mouseketeer
:eek:Hello all,

Quick bio, I'm 31. I am obese (5'3, 229lbs) yuck :sad2:

Last year I overdid it (in a weight loss attempt) and went roller skating for the first time in years. My legs burned and ached, but I just kept pushing and skated the whole night, figuring it would go away in a few days.

We over the next week, SEVERAL bulging varicose veins popped up all over my legs..I went to the doctor where they did a vein study and said I have a venous insufficiency (which basically means that the blood is now back-flowing down into my legs instead of easily flowing back to my heart).

I was prescribed baby Asprin every day and compression stockings that go up to just under my knee. I got the cotton kind that are white and they feel great when I have them on and my legs do not hurt most days.

Well that wasn't quick was it? Sorry! :confused3

Now my question, I want and need to wear them at Disney or I know that my legs will swell and ache badly. We are going Mid November. Do you think I will be dying if I wear jeans to the parks? There is NO WAY I will wear these things with shorts or capris or the sheer ones, you can definitely see either of them. I know there has to be others who have worn them to the parks. How is weather in the morning and evening? Maybe I could wear the jeans in the AM until I can't stand it anymore and then change into shorts and take them off then put them back on when it was more bearable in the evening??

Trying to think of another solution..Trying to lose weight..but the doctor says they do not go away with weight loss, but that will prevent me from getting more..

Thanks for any advice! :worship:

I was going to suggest the same. Maybe something like the material that camping/outdoor clothing is made of? I think it would be a lot cooler and quicker to dry.

I have a varicose vein also (from crossing my legs too much, I think) and it's amazing how much better my leg feels with compression stockings on. I would definitely wear them! :goodvibes

Let me tell you a Disney secret.......................

You (and everyone else) will be so busy having a good time, it won't matter!!!
When I see compression socks at Disney, I think, boy those legs must feel goooood at the end of the day:goodvibes

If it bothers you or you think it might impede your good time, try some flesh tone socks <3

I have some light cotton loose fitting capris that I love to wear when it's hot. You could maybe look for something similar that's longer that would be way more comfortable than jeans.

My wife is not obese but she has vein issues as well. She had to have a stint put in each leg and they are now going in to kill another vein. She has to wear one of the sheer stockings as well. She wears loose fitting yoga style pants. November is a tricky month in Orlando, FL. One year you could sweat and the next year you could freeze. This will be our first time in 5 years not going in November because we just can't pull my oldest out of school anymore. As far as looks go, be assured there will always be someone that looks worse at Disney!!!! Enjoy your vacation!

As far as looks go, be assured there will always be someone that looks worse at Disney!!!! Enjoy your vacation!

Agreed!

Nobody will be looking at your legs. I think you should make sure you're physically comfortable and not setting yourself up for being overheated, heat exhaustion, or worse, a medical emergency because you've fainted. I guarantee if you pass out and the medical staff has to transport you, people WILL be looking then.

I wear prescription orthotics in my sneakers 95% of the time. I am a cute shoes kind of girl; so obviously I'm underwhelmed at the arthritis that has taken root in my knees. However, I put my health and comfort ahead of looks and wear the dang sneakers all the time.

Put your health and comfort ahead of your looks and enjoy your trip!!

I wear jeans year round, so I'm going to say it's no problem! I've worn jeans at WDW in September; it just doesn't bother me. Balance it out by wearing a thinner top.

I also agree with other posters that say a lightweight pant could be a good idea as well - yoga pants too.

agree with others that you should dress to be comfortable in the parks and who cares what others think - and most likely no one would even tae the time to notice. There are so many fashion faux pas in Disney that wearing socks for your health is far from noteworthy.

It's hard to say - November can be warm during days and maybe cooler at night - jeans all day may be hot and uncomfortable. If you feel uncomfortable wearing shorts or capris with the socks then I would suggest as others have to look for a pair of lightweight pants.

I'm not sure if you have KMart stores by you but their store brand (Basic Editions) have these light-weight pants that kinda look like sweat pants but are much lighter and cooler. They have elastic band waist and include side pockets great to carry your phone and come in different colors. O have a pair I got for around the house and love them especially on days it's a bit too cool for shorts but too warm for jeans. KMart also carries another type of lightweight pant (also comes in capris) it's like a gauze material but not as wrinkly and very light and comfortable.

Hi, yes lightweight pants - try to resist the urge to buy black. If it is warm the black will just absorb all that sunshine. Hope this helps.

I have to wear a compression stocking when I am on my feet a lot as well. Mine is nude colored though it doesn't match my skin tone at all. I have no problem at all wearing it in shorts.

I agree with the PP who said everyone, including you, will be having way too much fun to notice what you are wearing. If you're concerned about it then try and pick up a pair that match your skin tone better so they will blend in a bit. But either way, you will have the most fun when you are comfortable. If you are too hot in jeans you will be uncomfortable and miserable, if you go without the compression stocking you will be uncomfortable and miserable.

This is a medical device used for a medically necessary purpose. Don't worry what other think just dress for comfort and have fun.

I too have this same problem. I also have a clotting disorder so I wear my stockings all day everyday. I wear them at WDW with jeans and sometimes khakis or yoga pants as well. I will even wear them with capris if the need arises - as in too hot! I have found that although I don't do it at home, at WDW i sometimes need to add a pair of no show cotton socks on really warm days. For some reason my feet are more comfortable that way. I would never skip wearing them for any part of the day at WDW unless I am sleeping or laying by the pool. My legs would be so swollen and uncomfortable.I wear the Jobst Ultrasheer. I love them - well as much as you can love them anyway. :rolleyes1 Go and have fun and don't worry about it. Its WDW after all.

It really depends on the temperature. I've worn them in to Disney in June and August, but with very lightweight pants. So, jeans in November may not be a problem. I'd bring some lightweight pants, just in case.

Also, the brand of compression and the amount of compression may make a difference. I think Jobst has the lightest weight of material. I hate Juzo. They are much thicker and, frankly, uglier Also, someone wearing a 10-15mm Hg will have an easier time than someone on 30-40mm Hg.

Jobst has recently made a really good compression sock, I think up to 30-40mm Hg, so you don't have to wear the stockings plus socks (if you're the type who does it).

Definitely, wear the stockings (or some other type of compression)!

I too have this same problem. I also have a clotting disorder so I wear my stockings all day everyday. I wear them at WDW with jeans and sometimes khakis or yoga pants as well. I will even wear them with capris if the need arises - as in too hot! I have found that although I don't do it at home, at WDW i sometimes need to add a pair of no show cotton socks on really warm days. For some reason my feet are more comfortable that way. I would never skip wearing them for any part of the day at WDW unless I am sleeping or laying by the pool. My legs would be so swollen and uncomfortable.I wear the Jobst Ultrasheer. I love them - well as much as you can love them anyway. :rolleyes1 Go and have fun and don't worry about it. Its WDW after all.

Do you wear the ones with the open toes? And knee high or thigh high?

We just returned from a 12 night trip to WDW. I saw several folks in the park wearing compression socks with capris or shorts. Evidently they make them now in various colors and patterns and are kinda a fad in running circles :confused3

Anyway, just wanted to say I saw lots of really cool looking ones and I was kinda thinking, "I wish I had on a pair" on the days my calves swelled from the heat. You might want to check out some alternative options to the plain white ones, but regardless, wear them and remember: Comfort is always in Fashion :cool1:

We just returned from a 12 night trip to WDW. I saw several folks in the park wearing compression socks with capris or shorts. Evidently they make them now in various colors and patterns and are kinda a fad in running circles :confused3

They are indeed.

OP, I hope you can find some breezier pants to wear that you will feel totally comfy in.

Also, it was one last brutally painful trip to WDW that finally caused me to do something about my weight. I was over 220, and I'm also 5'3", and I just couldn't take it anymore. I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting on Feb 21 2012, I believe, just after returning from our trip...and last Saturday I hit my goal. 85+ pounds gone. Part of that time it felt slow, but other times it seemed fast. Now it seems slow still looking back, but WOW, doesn't even matter. Just does not matter how long it took or didn't take.

So I really really feel some of your pain (though I didn't have the veins pop up like that I had my own problems), and since you brought up trying to lose weight, I just wanted to throw my support your way! YOU can do it, and you CAN do it! Even if it doesn't shrink those veins that already happened, I promise you you will feel a million times better in a million different ways, once you start down that path to losing some of the weight.

I wish you all the best of luck and power in the world. :dance3::yay::cheer2:

Hi there! November should be fine but I agree with others, ditch the jeans. I bought black comfy yoga pants that I wore on our trip last Nov every day and they were awesome. I wasn't hot at all. I got them at Target, they carry them in plus size year round and they even come in petite! :) You will be so much more comfy all day in stretchy pants like that that breathe.

Do you wear the ones with the open toes? And knee high or thigh high?
I actually where all the way to the waist closed toe. They are firm compression but ultrasheer. My feet kinda slip in my tennis shoes when it is warm so i add the socks to be more comfy.

When we went the first week in December in 2011 I wore jeans everyday all day and was never hot. And I tend to get hot fast usually! With that said, you just never know the weather there that time of year. I love the idea of the lightweight yoga-like pants. Comfy, cute, & practical! If it's really hot, can you even wear a longer type loose dress?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter