JCP Experts?

mom2daisy

Earning My Ears
Until today, I counted myself as a JCP expert but today's experience has left my head spinning. So, here's what happened: I bought 3 pairs of jeans. There was a 20% coupon for using your JCP card. I also had a $25 gift card. The cashier said I couldn't use the 20% coupon since I was using a gift card even though the balance of the transaction was going on my JCP card.

I had her call a manager. When the manager arrived, the cashier said "I've tried explaining it to her three times, but she just doesn't get it. Maybe you can explain it better..." So, now I'm :furious: When I explained it to the manager, she said "no problem, just make it work". And, guess what, no problem. No extra buttons had to be pushed. No manager approval needed. I made a comment about it being a "Labor Day miracle". The manager wasn't amused and said something about "well, that normally wouldn't have worked".

Have you ever experienced a situation where you couldn't apply a store gift card and use the required store credit card for the transaction's balance??? :confused3

I haven't tried that at JCP, but at Kohl's they just apply the discount to remaining balance. Seems simple to me.

It should not have been a problem. The gift card is a method of payment, not a discount.

Last time at Disney, I could not receive my Disa Visa 10% discount off a purchase over $50 if I used a Disney gift card. I too didn't understand why not because the purchase was way over the $50 minimum and the gift card was only $25, but they didn't relent. I was glad it was the only gift card I had. I shopped the whole week :banana: --just not on Disney gift cards.

A gift card is the same as using cash. There should not have been any problem.

I hate trying to explain simple things like this to a cashier and/or a manager. I do my best to be nice to service people because they have such a sucky job but when they say such blatantly STUPID things like this, it's really hard to be nice!!!!

I know at the Disney Store you can't receive your 10% off with Disney Visa purchase if the remaining amount after using gift cards or cash TO BE PUT ON YOUR CARD is under the 50$ set amount. They offer the discount not because you have the card but because you ARE USING the card. You must actually put the required amount on the card.

I had a similar situation this weekend. I went on Sunday to do some shopping and I picked up some stuff in the kids department. The sales lady that rang me up used the 10% coupon letting me know the 20% was only for JCP cards, I was ok with the 10% - I was actually paying debit.

I then went to get some stuff for myself, and then went to the mens department to get some pants for the hubby - the lady that rang me up there took my coupon and scanned the 20% and didn't even ask if i was paying with a JCP card. I paid debit again, saved about $35!

My mom went back yesterday with the same coupon - it had both bar codes for the 10 and 20% and she got the 20% and she paid cash.

I really thing it depends on the cashier...if it scans and goes thru with no problem I don't see the issue.

mom2d&b said:
It should not have been a problem. The gift card is a method of payment, not a discount.

But the discount wasn't available for cash purchases, only to purchases paid with a JCP credit card. That might be an issue if a minimum purchase requirement wasn't meant with the JCP card. It could also be an issue if the promotion required the entire purchase be charged to the JCP card. That requirement might require making two transactions.

Until today, I counted myself as a JCP expert but today's experience has left my head spinning. So, here's what happened: I bought 3 pairs of jeans. There was a 20% coupon for using your JCP card. I also had a $25 gift card. The cashier said I couldn't use the 20% coupon since I was using a gift card even though the balance of the transaction was going on my JCP card.

I had her call a manager. When the manager arrived, the cashier said "I've tried explaining it to her three times, but she just doesn't get it. Maybe you can explain it better..." So, now I'm :furious: When I explained it to the manager, she said "no problem, just make it work". And, guess what, no problem. No extra buttons had to be pushed. No manager approval needed. I made a comment about it being a "Labor Day miracle". The manager wasn't amused and said something about "well, that normally wouldn't have worked".

Have you ever experienced a situation where you couldn't apply a store gift card and use the required store credit card for the transaction's balance??? :confused3

I work at JCPenney. The sales associate was wrong. We are trained to make the customer happy. Unfortunately I think there are some people out there who work in a cashier position who are on a power trip.

I had a similar situation this weekend. I went on Sunday to do some shopping and I picked up some stuff in the kids department. The sales lady that rang me up used the 10% coupon letting me know the 20% was only for JCP cards, I was ok with the 10% - I was actually paying debit.

I then went to get some stuff for myself, and then went to the mens department to get some pants for the hubby - the lady that rang me up there took my coupon and scanned the 20% and didn't even ask if i was paying with a JCP card. I paid debit again, saved about $35!

My mom went back yesterday with the same coupon - it had both bar codes for the 10 and 20% and she got the 20% and she paid cash.

I really thing it depends on the cashier...if it scans and goes thru with no problem I don't see the issue.

You're correct that it depends on the cashier. I do whatever to make the transaction work for the customer if it is within reason. OP's situation is definitely within reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter