January weather in Orlando

daraus

Earning My Ears
Has anyone here been to RPR or other onsite in January.Is it warm enough to get sun by pool?Is there a lot of ppl swimming?

I've been to Cabana Bay during late January. It was a really cold winter. And yes they did close the pool. They close the pool when it gets below a certain temperature. They also closed down the Hogwarts express due to wind.

It depends really. Weather in Florida especially during our winter months is at best unpredictable. So it could be mild or it could be very chilly. Last year we had a very mild winter. Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

On the plus side the pool feels like it is heated. I am assuming RPR's pools are the same. Swam in December at CB last year. And there's always the Hot tubs.

Last edited:
Was at rpr January first week two years ago and skipped pool sitting
Way too cool out

Second time early January was pool time for those that braved 60 degree weather

I can't predict how first week of January could be but have read later in the month pool time is doable

The temperatures can yo-yo from day to day. I was down Mid-January 2014, the winter of the "Polar Vortex" and it was so varied from day to day. Some days we had temperatures in the low 70's and it was nice enough to swim/sunbathe. Other days it was in the low 50's. So a really mixed bag from day to day.

A site I check to see historical temperatures for exact dates is https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KORL/2016/1/15/DailyHistory.html

Have a look at that and check some historical temps for the time you are going from years past.

The life guards were out at Cabana Bay on our days- lows 38 degrees, high reached 50, 55 and 65 on our 3 park days. The poor workers looked like they were going to freeze to death. ;). Before we got there, it had been much warmer. Days after we left, rain. A few folks braved the pool. Not us. :)

I've been there in January twice. Both times we arrived around the 22nd-23rd. The first time in 2010 it was hot every day, this year it was freezing. And I mean freezing, 0 degrees celsius in the mornings. It was sunny every day but big coat needed every day until around lunchtime. It warmed up a bit in the afternoons though.

It was funny when we arrived in Orlando and looked out the window of the plane and saw the guys unloading the plane were dressed like they were working in the South Pole. We just laughed and thought they were just lightweights not used to a bit of cool weather but the joke was on us when we walked out of the terminal and queued up for the taxi.

It might be 80, it might be 20. Pack for everything and don't assume you will or won't be able to swim. Just be prepared.

I was down Mid-January 2014, the winter of the "Polar Vortex"

Ah yes. I was participating in WDW's marathon weekend. The morning of my Half (I think) it got UP to 50. The next day by noon, when DS was doing his Mickey Mile, it was 80. I was already sick (landed on the 4th, was sick as a dog by the 6th) and the change in temperatures just about too me out. I couldn't take it. And I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. Puffy coats and jeans are nice, but WOOL socks and thermal underwear would have been nice to have underneath!

Because when the cold wind blows across the swamp that is WDW and Universal (Uni to a lesser extent) it's colder than you can believe. You might be from a cold place, but there are reasons they don't build themeparks in cold cold places. It's just not FUN to be out for 10+ hours in it.

Has anyone here been to RPR or other onsite in January.Is it warm enough to get sun by pool?Is there a lot of ppl swimming?

I've only seen pools @ WDW closed once in the evening during January. They & U heat them well.

It's all relative, if you're coming from the north 60 degrees in January will feel downright tropical!

check out the historical averages posted above for general idea, but it can vary.

Me, I'll be floating in the pool come January, even if I have to wear a rash guard to insulate.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter