• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

January Planning/Itinerary Advice?

jtgray21

Earning My Ears
Hello!! Traveling all the way from Alaska - flying all night and arriving in Orlando at noon. Taking Magic Express, doing online checkin to speed things along. Surprising daughters (almost 5, almost 9) we're going the day before, YAY! So I'm not big on taking that day, Jan. (Monday) 14th off at all (leaving sat, 19th) - sure we could sit around pool and try to relax but I think we're going to be TOOOO excited. We'll get some sleep on plane- kids do for sure, me & hubby not so much (he can nap at hotel if he wants and we head in to parks, I'm open) My kids travel long trips frequently, they're little troopers. I have no intention of dragging them around so I do promise to be flexible and not THAT parent ahahhaahah I just want to be educated about what our options are and most efficient use of time if possible (using tourguide mike and getting my head full there as well, haven't done dailies yet but will have brief outline later)

My parents took me to both world/land as a young child and up until I was about 12. I then took my daughters at 9 months/4.5 years for a quick 1 day to MK but without any planning so it was a bit of a whirlwind. My husband has never been. I'm considering this the family 1st visit

ON DDP - 1 TS/1QS/1snack - ready to purchase an additional character meal if deemed necessary (reservations yes, we're not ready to wait in much lines to see/visit characters in parks (on the one day me and girls there in 09 we waited over 45 min for Ariel meet & greet - and I'm spoiled so I have no intention of reliving that, happy to scrimp/save to get character meals in budget to avoid ahahahahha) So bottom line is we're not that picky of eaters, I'm sure all the restaurants will be fine - I'm picking/paying based on characters and experiences (and to use as rest/breaks when applicable). Some late dining reservations - those days for sure be morning rope drops/adventure - break/naps/rest for 2-3 hours then back to parks for late evenings

I'm ALL OVER THE PLACE - sidenote: And how ridiculous is this...for our sanity I rented a stroller to be delivered - yes, a STROLLER. I have big DSLR camera I don't want to lug on back all day but can't live without it, want to have things on hand like extra clothes, extra blankets for seating, etc... I also plan to use for some speedwalking if needed for some touring/attraction planning and can easily put girls in there (they're both petite, my older ones doesn't much care if people are staring at her so she'll be all over jumping in a stroller when she's tired). Neither girls have taken naps in years so but they aren't naturally early risers and I do plan for lots of rope dropping so figured if they're tired they'll sleep in stroller (had wagon last year at Six Flags and they slept over an hour curled up in there together) leaving hubby and I to either take break ourselves where ever we are or push them back to hotel for break/pool time...? So please give me some assurance I'm not going to be only parent looking silly with a stroller and old kids...?

ON TO ITINERARY: So we'll have Monday afternoon - was originally thinking Hollywood Studios - we're honestly not used to many crowds and they make me a bit uneasy. I know...anyhow, didn't want to wait for Fantasmic but only dinner pkg I can get is Mama Melrose at 3:05 and then arrive at Fantasmic at 6 for 6:30 show. HS is only open until 7 so I'm kind of feeling like with this all we're doing is eating and watching Fantasmic...?? Would like kids to do TSM, they'd love it, but not about to wait even an hour for it so should I move HS to Wednesday and just do Epcot the first day?!? They don't close until 9pm...was going to even leave off Epcot this trip because I'm not sure it'll be a favorite?

TUESDAY - rope drop at MK
4pm CRT (missing parade probably but will get it Thu)
8pm Wishes

WEDNESDAY - was planning AK but saw TGM recommendations so changed to whatever we DON'T do on Monday (this leaves either full day of HS with rope drop, to TSM for fast pass - I'm only one who would ride either Rockin coaster or Tower of Terror OR full day of Epcot if not done on Monday) Made Askershus dining Reservation at 5:10 in case we end up doing Epcot this day

THUR - MK rope drop again
then afternoon break/pool - back to MK for BBB appt for both girls at 4:50
Electrical parade (I have fond/vivid memories of this as child, important for me to experience with my kids) then
9pm Chef Mickey ADR (any experience here? my girls LOVE princesses but aren't IN LOVE with mickey characters - like of course, enjoy, but not LOVE like Ariel, Cindy, etc...)
I know its late but my kids are naturally night owls like me - summer we easily stay up till 11/12 most nights lol

FRI - Animal Kingdom
rest after closing, get to Grand Floridian by 8 to watch wishes from there - ADR at 8:30 for princess characters

SAT - sleep in/swim/leave

I did prepurchase photo CD - love ride photos and I'm always NOT in the pictures because I'm always taking them - my older daughter loves to scrapbook, etc...

ANY and ALL comments/advice/suggestions are appreciated! Thanks and happy trips/traveling to you all!!

What about doing Downtown Disney on the first day? Fun restaurants, the Disney and Lego stores (plus about a million more) a tethered hot air balloon... there is plenty to do there and it sounds like you might be too busy the rest of your trip to make it over there.

Also, we did Disney two summers ago with my neice (7) and my daughters (4 and barely 2) and all three of the girls sat in the stroller at some point. That is a LOT of walking, even for the older ones, and it's nice for them to have a place to take a break, even if you want to keep walking! We're going in January as well with just our kids, and I told my husband that even if we didn't have the new baby, I'd want a stroller to hold all of our stuff!

If it makes you feel any better - I rented a double stroller for my kids...ages 4 and 6.5. The 6.5 year old has not been in a stroller since he was 2. But this summer we were at an amusement park and by 2 pm he was tired of walking. He has low muscle tone and tires easily....anyway, he and my husband will laugh at me when they see the stroller but I know by mid-afternoon they will both be thankful. I plan to use one side of the stroller for our stuff and the other side for my daughter.

Anyway, I don't want to have to stop a park early so that the kids can go back to the hotel for a break. This way we can keep going..the 4 year old can nap if needed and my son can take a break if he needs to.

holbie18 said:
If it makes you feel any better - I rented a double stroller for my kids...ages 4 and 6.5. The 6.5 year old has not been in a stroller since he was 2. But this summer we were at an amusement park and by 2 pm he was tired of walking. He has low muscle tone and tires easily....anyway, he and my husband will laugh at me when they see the stroller but I know by mid-afternoon they will both be thankful. I plan to use one side of the stroller for our stuff and the other side for my daughter.

Anyway, I don't want to have to stop a park early so that the kids can go back to the hotel for a break. This way we can keep going..the 4 year old can nap if needed and my son can take a break if he needs to.

What kind did you rent? My kids are the same ages and wondering what you rented. Thanks!

I think I rented a citi mini gt double from Orlando stroller rentals. My 6.5 year old is really tall and I know it will be too small for him but that was the biggest they had. I don't expect him to be in it much....but as long as I was renting something for my daughter I figured I should spend an extra $20 to give him the option of sitting. I know my husband and son will laugh at me when they see it....but I also know in the end I will be right :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter