January No Buy - let's start the year off right

January 2014
1 - $65.00 diesel for oil tank
2 - $792.47 : $733.72 oil tank fill, $58.75 gas for DH car

and tomorrow is grocery day, LOL should have made it a 8 no buy day instead of 18.

Should be good til Saturday, when I need gas, groceries, and text books for classes starting next week.

January
1 - $0
2 - $26 - groceries
3 -

Ok I have a question? Do you guys just count your own personal buys/no buys or do you count if your DH/DW make a purchase as well. Thanks I am just trying to figure out what I should be doing.

Ok I have a question? Do you guys just count your own personal buys/no buys or do you count if your DH/DW make a purchase as well. Thanks I am just trying to figure out what I should be doing.

It is whatever you want. If I were to include gas I would cry. The way I look at it, it is accounting for extras. I am including groceries because I have been spending way too much on them and we need to cut back.

Because my work hours have been cut I can work harder on couponing and sales.

Well I thought I was off to a good start until the unexpected vet visit today!

1/1 - $10
1/2 - $215 (this included going to the grocery store and the vet)

That really hurts, the same thing happened to us. I hope your pet is ok.

If it was the other guy's fault HIS insurance pays for the rental car until you get your check

I hope that's true but when DH called our insurance agent she said because
WE did not include a rental car on our policy, we have to pay for it ourselves.
And then she left the office for the day because of the Nor'easter that hit the New England area. The office is closed until Monday. Thanks for the suggestion - this is the first accident I've been in in 30 years so I know very little about any rights and responsibilities.

Not sure what size car you're looking for, since you had a Windstar but mention smaller cars, but my Mazda3 came in well under 25K new and it's averaged 35 mpg since I got it a year and a half ago. (I'm a little obsessive watching the average change--highest it ever was was 36.1 not long after I got it, went down to 34.5 last winter, back up to 35.7 this summer, going back down now that it's winter!)

It is very small though--great for parallel parking, not for long family trips!

I don't want to highjack this thread but I do trust the opinions and experiences of the DIS-ers. I have mixed feelings - I think the size of our Windstar saved us from bodily harm yet we want our new car to be more fuel-efficient yet safe.

We were driving a Windstar too when it got totaled too, back in 2002. None of us got injured except for marks from the airbags.

I'm just going to include myself, because my DH really doesn't buy anything except gas. He won't even go out to lunch except for on rare occasions and would rather have a root canal then step inside a store. Don't worry, I more than make up for his cheap tenancies! :rotfl:

I try to include DH's spending too but it's hard when he's out of town. I never know what he spends especially if it's cash. Drives me nuts!

Today will be a no buy day, we are snowed in.

I'm in too!

I know I'll need to shop on Fridays for gasoline fill ups and grocery runs plus any misc expenses (trips to the dollar store, fast food runs, etc). I'll also throw in a couple of extra days in for any unexpected purchases but being a single vehicle household with no stores in winter walking distance...the likelihood of this is fairly low. I'll set my goal for 22 No Buy Days but hope to be able to get more like 25 or 26!

2/22

1-$0
2-$0
3-$77.75/$75 in groceries, $29/$50 in gasoline, $0/$20 in misc spending

Stayed within budget today and even deposited some rolled coin into our travel account!

I take out $20 a week in cash for any misc expenses but each Friday, whatever is left over gets tossed into the change jar (even bills!) and the new $20 goes in my wallet. I put $100 in the travel account today and spent nary a cent of my $20 (which is actually rather unusual!) I have a cold, so I'm in for the night!!

Thanks for all your advice on including or not including your SO. I think I have decided that since this is my first month trying the no buy I am just going to track for myself. My DH doesn't spend much besides gas and sometimes a lunch out. I figure since he uses his weekly cash when he eats out it is already accounted for in our budget.
Thanks Again!

I am going to try for 20 no buy days also, including groceries because I really want to try to stay out of the grocery store in between my big shopping trips every two weeks because I always end up with impulse purchases. The only other expenses I know of (besides bills and gas) are eye appts. for glasses for two of my sons this month so if nothing else comes up I should be good.

January:
1$0
2$0
3$4.50 (post office), $8.25 (Walmart)

I had to spend at the post office today, but that was good because I sold a book on Amazon so in the end I will profit $24.00 from it. I did good at Walmart, I bought when I went for, but I did spend $1.25 getting each of the kids a clearance thing of m&m's from Christmas for a quarter each, but that was it.

I don't count DH but we keep our money separate and he doesn't do any of the purchases for the house, I do all that. So anything he spends is personal stuff. (He pays all the bills, though - our money situation is complicated, but fair to everyone.)

I'm in! I haven't seen one of these threads in a long time.

Goal is 15 no buy days. Just got paid yesterday, I do our grocery shopping usually around payday but I was able to roll some meals from December thanks to Christmas and leftovers. Will need to go to the grocery store soon, but need to finish meal planning first.

1 $0
2 ordered new shoes for baby (planned purchase)
3 $0

1- $0
2- groceries, birthday decorations for DD7, board game for DD14 who just got her tonsils out
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-

8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-

15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-

22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-

29-
30-
31-

1/1 - $10
1/2 - $215 (this included going to the grocery store and the vet)
1/3 - $0

Finally a day with $0!!

1/1 - $0.

1/2 -$11.27 - ordered a new planning wall calendar online.

1/3 -$0

1/4- $0.. We'll be using a gift card we got for Christmas to go see the new Hobbit Movie so everything will be covered.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter