January 30, 2005 Anyone?

We are doing the land/sea combo. Traveling with my DH, DD 5, and DS 3&1/2. I am putting together a little care package for each of them. I have 2 disposable cameras each (one for WDW and one for cruise). I am going to get a litle journal for each of them, and probably an autograph book with pencils/crayons. I plan to give it to them at the airport at the start of our trip. Any suggestions for anything else that I may want to include to make it special for them. They have been to WDW before, but this is their first cruise!!
Thanks to all for posting all the amazing information on this board. As I watch the snow fall out the window, I am so excited!!!!!

Dcanoli, seems you had a few ?.The parking is adequate. As a matter of fact I believe it is enough for 2 cruises. When we left on a Thurs in Sept, the 7 day cruise was already out and the parking lot was quite empty.
As for the carryon. We checked 2 suitcases, a duffle and a suiter. Took the smaller wheelie and a small shoulder bag from the set to carry all the drugs and papers etc. Most people left the strollers, luggage outside parrot cay during the lunch and since the dgks were in the Mickey pool, We kept the bags with us while watching them til the room was ready. I think ours was ready around 2ish.
As you can tell, my dh packed way tooo much and we will be considerably downsizing this time. Still bringing the same carryon plus his scooter as they said it's safer to ride it on. So the scooter will be parked on the 3rd deck til the room is ready.This will be an experience.

I know I will pack way too much - it's the things I will bring "just in case" that is going to be the problem! Then there's the stroller and carseat...we are going to have our hands full.

Julie

b&j's_mom-Ditto here. I always pack too much.

As far as a sweater or jacket etc. I packed a sweater for our first cruise and I wore it at dinner and in the theatre and this was in July. If you are the type of person who gets cold easy, I would bring something. Plus we're going to have coats and jackets with us anyways since it'll be cold when we leave for the cruise.

I remember when I was a kid and we went to Puerto Rico in December. I was running around in shorts etc that morning and that evening when we got off the plane at home it was snowing. :earseek:

I'm starting to feel like I have a gazillion things to do and not enough time. :worried:

dcanoli-For the hidden mickey under the water are they talking about the one you see when you go way out snorkeling? Anyways, there are lifeguard platforms and you can just ask one of them where he is. Of course w/the lifeguard I was talking to was saying "a" and I thought he was saying "i" because of his accent.

Thunderrd said:
I'm starting to feel like I have a gazillion things to do and not enough time. :worried:

I know just what you mean! I scheduled the newspaper/mail hold last week and made a little more progress yesterday by finishing the boys pillowcases. I've already warned DH ;) that next week's schedule, starting Tues, is very tight - he can't wait until the last minute (i.e., after work on Friday night!) to lay out his clothes, fuel up, check oil & tires, get travel cash, etc. We're gone for 8 days, so cruise packing is only half the task!

nala1128 - You were looking for some ideas for children - I found some 'glow' necklaces (not sure if that's the right thing to call them) at the Dollar Store. After dark, the WDW vendors are always selling light up gadgets at a PREMIUM that attract children like mad!

Arlenesp - you're the best 'spokeswoman' for the weather down there and what clothes to bring. I take a cotton sweater or denim jacket, even in the middle of summer. The air conditioning is sooo cool in some restaurants. And if you get a little sunburn, brrr.. I guess it depends on whether you're 'cold-natured' or not - I AM! Speaking of sunburn, don't forget the sunscreen. FLA sun can be intense, even if it's not summertime.

We've been to WDW twice in Jan/Feb. Early mornings and after sundown, it got a little chilly for me and the kids. We could see our breath while waiting for the bus at WL on EE morning one yr! Most days I wore jeans/khakis and long-sleve shirt w/ jacket, same for kids. DH wore shorts, T-shirt or polo w/ sweatshirt. We had strollers then, so we could tie the jackets to the stroller mid-day. I guess we'll just plan on locker rental this time.

All said, it's probably a week too early to be accurate on the extended forecast, but so far the weather is shaping up nicely:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/weather/tenday/USFL0372?x=0&lswe=orlando&lswa=VacationForecastCommand&y=0&from=Opt2
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/weather/tenday/BFXX0005?x=0&lswe=nassau&lswa=VacationForecastCommand&y=0&from=Opt2

Bye for now! Happy packing! :thewave:

Hey girl!

Yes, I'm talking about the Mickey on the snorkeling trail! From what everyone says, it seems it would be easy to find, but apparently not! ;) We'll see--if we even get to swim! BRRR!!

We'll have a tight week too, just because we've got things to do for/with the boys that week!

Oh well, it will all be worth it in the end when that big boat comes into view!

Did you guys read the thread about Pirates Night?

It is definitely the same as the Magic, but there aren't any fireworks. Capt. Tom said they don't have the equipment yet; it's coming in February!

Darn it! We were SO CLOSE! ;)

Hey there! I have been majorly MIA, but now I'm back and I'm ready to go cruisin'! Myself, dh, dd (age 5) and ds (age 3) will be checking into the Poly on January 25 (only 6 more sleeps!) Kathy and Robin, maybe we will meet you guys there. You will be able to identify us as the crazy Canadians with pasty white skin who think that 50 degrees is balmy weather and perfectly fine for swimming! Seriously, dh is 6'3", 200 lbs, brown hair, blue eyes, and I am 5'6", asian, with long hair. If you see a family of four which meets that description, do come and say hi!

Thanks everyone for the tips. I especially like the goodie bag idea. I think I will put some bags together for the plane ride. We fly to Toronto, then change planes for Orlando, so it will be a long day. A goodie bag will be perfect to keep the kids occupied.

So are we any farther on the "get together" plans? I like the idea of trying to find each other at the sailing off party.

Lindy.

we're dancing!!!!!!Dana got the docs to us today..........
The mickey at cc from what i heard is all the way out. Read reports most were tired from the long swim?
Weather in the am was high 30's but when I ran out to do some errands at 2:30 I actually had the ac on a bit.Now it's quite chilly.
If the fireworks aren't til Feb, our pirate night technically is Feb isn't it?
Too much to do and so little time.....

Hey Lindy! I will keep my eyes open for you guys! Our kids are the same age too. My dd is 5 (going on 25 of course!), and my ds is 3. I called DCL and found out that the transfer from Poly to the ship is at 11 or 11:30 AM, so I just mde a priority seating at Ohana for breakfast that morning @ 8:40 AM. Since it has been only in the 20's here all week, I think that 50 will be great. If you see a 5'2", dark haired green eyed chick with an Ariel tattoo on her right calf, you will know that is me!!!!

As far as the bag I am putting together for my kids, I am on the lookout for cute new sunglasses to put in. I got them each disposable cameras, and they are each getting a little video now system, so they have stuff to do while we are waiting at the airport, parades, and anything else that usually sparks too much boredom. Since my dd will be missing Kindergarten, I am giving her a journal to write in everyday. It will help her practice here writing, and will be a fun keepsake. I will give my son one too, he will like to scribble in it and he always tries to copy my daughter anyway!!!

I spoke to my TA yesterday, my docs should be here today so I will be doing a happy dance. Also, for anyone else who is staying in the world for a few days or who goes frequently. I just got the Disney Dining experience card.(no use on the cruise, but great for WDW) It says on their website and when you call that it is only for Fla residents, and AP holders, but I was able to get it. It is $50.00 for AP holders and $75.00 for non AP holders. It gets you 20% off at many restaurants including all of the carachter dining spots. I did the math, and on this trip it will at least pay for itself, anything after that is a savings. We have family in the area there so we already know that we are making at least one more tirp to WDW this year. Just thought I would mention it in case anyone is interested. If you re leaving in the near future, they will send you an email that you use just like the card. The card arrives in 4-6 weeks! Time to go get the kids off to school. Although I am fairly new to the board, I would be up for a meet too!!

Hi,
Well, the real countdown has begun, and the bags are getting packed.
We're all excited!!!
Does anyone have suggestions about seasickness? This is our first cruise, so I don't know what to expect. Friends have told me that with the very large ships it won't be a problem. Any advice???
Thanks!

Oh My, I step away from the computer and you all go banana's!!! It took me 10 minutes to catch up. Worked 3-12hr shifts, and all I can do is work and sleep. Done with those for awhile, only 8hr shifts left til we leave.

Robin and Lindy, my little"family"will be easy to spot. Dh is 55 and 6ft and I am 53 and 4-11. Our dgs (6 1/2) is black and the same size as our dgd who is almost 8. On boarding day, they will be wearing obnoxious tie dye shirts with aliens on them (I have 2 sisters that live in Roswell, New Mexico). So WHEN you see us, :cool1: stop and say "hey". I am thinking about taking advantage of going to ALK that a.m. and catching the DCL bus from there. We don't have any plans for ressies or any thing, just get the kids signed up for the club, so no rush to get to the ship. and with only 3 days in the World that might just work for us.

Deb I am so excited for you. At least a partial Pirates nite, and may be Arlene is right it is really Feb and we could get some pixie dust. and thanks for the tip on the All stars. Got that rate!

Now that the docs are out, where are everyone"s rooms and which seating is every one at? We are early(main) and 6542.

Gotta go and will check back later today!! 5 days and a sleep for us. :teleport: Kathy

jmw said:
Hi,
Well, the real countdown has begun, and the bags are getting packed.
We're all excited!!!
Does anyone have suggestions about seasickness? This is our first cruise, so I don't know what to expect. Friends have told me that with the very large ships it won't be a problem. Any advice???
Thanks!
Most take the otc remedies. Bonine and draminine. Some the patch.I've read about the pressure bands but have a bit of carpal tunnel so the thought of something pressing on that area doesn't sit well.
My dh and I cannot take these otc remedies, so I take ginger tabs starting the day before. They recommend ginger snaps for the kids also. It is a natural remedy and when the ship was rocking out of the port my dd and dgs were a tad green, but I think the pills helped. I took the ginger and did what is also recommended by sitting on the verandah for a while,just chilling a bit, and felt ok. My ds took the ginger before he went to ioa as he couldn't ride the coasters without it. Could be all in the mind but most is.
I actually enjoyed the rocking in a strange way. It gave me a slight chair massage at dinner which I have to say was quite enjoyable.
Did sleep like a baby. The cabins have a strange creaking noise when the waves are rough.
As for the night lights etc. We just kept the tv on all night so whichever gk was bunking with us could find their way to the bathroom. You can also leave a light on in the bathroom. Did find the duct tape handy for making sure the closet doors didn't open during the rocking. So take a bit with you other wise you will be stuffing a washcloth between the doors.
The bathtub has a clothesline on the wall. We used suction hooks on the verandah.
Feel free to ask any additional ? Waiting for my ds to come over to hook up my vonage internet phone. Also watching the innaug.Can't remember being home for this since jfk.

Just got our documents from our TA today! Yippee! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

They came with a free beach blanket and beach ball! The kids are so excited!

Speaking of the cruise, I have ANOTHER question--I know I've worn you all out these past few months--my four-year old DS and I were looking through the book that is in the pack with your documents, and I noticed where it showed a picture of the couple snorkeling, he said to me, "I can't do that!"

How do you guys get your kids prepared for snorkeling? I think I should open up the kits I got at W/M (mask and tube) and let them practice in the tub--it will be much easier to pack them that way anyway...are any of you bringing snorkeling gear for yourselves? I've read a lot of links on this website and tips to hit the W/Ms near WDW for cheap "kits" rather than rent them at CC. What are you all doing? Also, do we have to make bike rentals at GS once on board or is that something we can do now or do we just wait?

I'll check my docs and let you know where we are and dining rotation! Thanks guys!

Hey girls,

Just checked my docs. One room is 2082 and 2084 (CAT 9); HOWEVER, one room is Main seating and the other is SECOND!

How rude! ;)

I've e-mailed my travel agent, and I'll see what they come up with. Has this happened to you seasoned cruisers before? Do you think my TA will be able to fix it or will I have to hit GS next Sunday?

As far as snorkeling goes, on our first cruise we didn't rent the gear because I didn't think our kids would use it. Then when we got out on the beach they wanted to, so some of the others we traveled w/let them use theirs but they didn't like the mouth piece or mask. They enjoyed the floats alot better.
:jumping3:

For this cruise, I did buy some snorkling gear at walmart but I doubt they'll use these either, maybe the fins if they go swimming. They might use them more in the pool than ocean.

Mickey mouse at CC is way out in the snorkeling only area and it is a pretty good distance from shore. You definitely want to have fins if you're going out that far. I took some pics w/the underwater camera and some pics of the ship and the shore from out here too as best as I could considering you're treading water.

Dcanoli: I think that it would be a good idea to let your kids practice using the snorkeling gear in the bathtub or pool. We rented bikes at the shore excursion desk on board, but we didn't do this til the second day. They have lots of bikes on the island and I only saw a few people using them at one time. The bike trail to ride is paved for part of it and then you turn right at the adult beach and go down more of a dirt road for quite some distance before reaching the end (the ocean). They have 2 water stations along this road w/cups and cold water to get a drink. They also have bike helmets for everyone and we used those thank goodness. My youngest took a fall on the dirt road, nothing bad just a few scrapes that we rinsed off w/clean water at the water stop.

I read in the passporter or somewhere that the dining rotation goes by the age of your children with the youngest starting at AP, then the next ages at PC, then the teenagers and older Triton's. I like that Disney rotates your meals so that you get to eat in each one once. :cool1:

We got about 2 inches of snow yesterday and it created havoc on the roads. The kids are not in school today due to the inauguration. We are suppose to get more snow this weekend and then it's to remain cold so it seems like even if FLA is cold it'll be warm to us. Today is around 34 and it already feels warm compared to the teens and twenties we had the past week.

I got some of the light up things for nights on the cruise to put in my kids' goodie bags.

Also in case someone hasn't read about it they have a cart like they do at the parks that has lots of toys and things for sale that they bring out during the deck parties and I think it was also out most of the day at sea. Of course it's positioned so it's hard to miss and every child wants something from it.

So far I only have one bag that I threw things into that I wanted to make we brought. I need to get more things packed soon so I won't be stressed at the last minute. :crazy:

:earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: pirate:

Thunderrd,

Thanks for the heads-up! I may not make it to the Hidden Mickey on CC, who knows! (I may try and pick up some fins for myself when we get into FL....we'll see!)

Our TA e-mailed and said Disney is working on getting both our dinner tables together, so that's good; I'm anxious to see if they stick to the AAPT for my young kids.....

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter