January 2015

Are your kids back in school during that week?

Why is it a problem budget wise? I would think that week is going to be discounted.

my kid goes back the 12th if the school stays with the same general schedule. it's a problem because in the past the discounted season starts after the holiday weekend is over. airline tickets are expensive and don't drop till after the weekend is over as well. it's all just adding up. i keep taking days off the vacation to accommodate but it's kinda bumming me out and making planning a chore since i have so little flexibility. if there is a discount given, i'm not sure what i have to do qualify for it since it probably won't fall on all the dates we will be there.

Signed up for my first Disney Half Marathon this week and now I am so ready to plan the rest of the trip. :) So hard to wait until the summer for rates and then the fall for any discounts.

my kid goes back the 12th if the school stays with the same general schedule. it's a problem because in the past the discounted season starts after the holiday weekend is over. airline tickets are expensive and don't drop till after the weekend is over as well. it's all just adding up. i keep taking days off the vacation to accommodate but it's kinda bumming me out and making planning a chore since i have so little flexibility. if there is a discount given, i'm not sure what i have to do qualify for it since it probably won't fall on all the dates we will be there.

Oic so you're saying the discounts wouldn't start until Monday Jan 5? I would just plan on 5-11 then. Past couple of years the discount included a room only after the NYE holiday week. That's a pretty slow week so I'm sure they'll have something that you can qualify for.

I am looking in to January too. But I am worried i will be out of luck for discounts because we are looking at early January. Like right after the holidays. But waiting patiently anyway.

Early January would be great as my 50th birthday is January 7th. Subscribing to hear about any discounts that may be applicable. Also would like to do a cruise immediately afterwards....you know, to relax after a week @ WDW !

We are going on a Disney Cruise 2/2!! Hoping to squeeze in a short trip to WDW at the end of January right before the cruise. We did get a pin code for free dining when we went beginning of Feb 2013....fingers crossed we get another one. Subscribing to this thread in case a discount comes out :)

Hoping to go last week of January. Have done s/p/d and was ok. This time we're hoping for a room discount and just pay oop for food. Think we could save some money....and pounds!

Hoping to go last week of January. Have done s/p/d and was ok. This time we're hoping for a room discount and just pay oop for food. Think we could save some money....and pounds!

How many in your party last time. Trying to figure out if SPD is worth it for 2 adults at POP.

can't decide if we are going to do last week of January or first week of February. This past January we had the worst weather ever, 5 days of rain. Two of the days were only in the upper 40's. :rotfl2: Didn't stop my husband from using the hot tub though. He actually had both the hot tub and the pool all to himself. :rotfl:

I think we've decided on the last full week of Jan. DD and I started rough-planning this weekend - it was so fun to share the planning with her!!! (she's 10)

I'm afraid that because there's FD right now through Dec, that it won't be offered in Jan. :-( We've had it before in Jan, but it's my understanding they haven't offered it in the last couple of years. I'll have to do a cost analysis - DH might yet decide that we should go in early Dec just to save a little more $$.

I think we've decided on the last full week of Jan. DD and I started rough-planning this weekend - it was so fun to share the planning with her!!! (she's 10) I'm afraid that because there's FD right now through Dec, that it won't be offered in Jan. :-( We've had it before in Jan, but it's my understanding they haven't offered it in the last couple of years. I'll have to do a cost analysis - DH might yet decide that we should go in early Dec just to save a little more $$.

Yeah, the last few years it's only been offered in the fall/late winter. This year there are so many blackout dates. Word on the street is they're phasing it out. So unfortunately I wouldn't count on it being offered in Jan. However; There has been stay/play/dine and in the past it was adults get the dining plan and tickets at kids prices but this year they calculated it differently I guess. No one knows exactly how but I read it came to roughly 20% off the entire package. Promos for Jan this year came out oct 3 last year, so we still have 5 months before we know what kind of promo we get!

Also the last week in Jan may be cheaper than Dec, so getting free dining may not be that gear of a deal in that case. Pricing for 2015 should come out Julyish so you'll have a better idea then!

(First post... yay!!)

I'm reeeally hoping we'll be going in January '15! I haven't been to WDW since my senior class trip back in 2000, and now I'm really hoping to take my two kids :)

We have a family wedding in Miami on January 4th that we'll be driving to, so my hope is that we can schedule a WDW vacation the following week. My older son will start kindergarten in the fall, so I'm not sure what rules his school may have about taking him out of class for a week, though. That may make it impossible. Also the other key factor is if we're able to sell our house before then, since we'd likely be using some of the money from the sale for the trip. So... fingers crossed!!

Originally I was thinking we could do WDW the week before the wedding for the holidays, but after reading on here so many stories about how crowded and expensive it is, no thanks!! This would be my dh's first time there, and I want him to want to go back, lol. He hates crowds, so early January seems like the best time to sell him on WDW. ;)

(First post... yay!!) I'm reeeally hoping we'll be going in January '15! I haven't been to WDW since my senior class trip back in 2000, and now I'm really hoping to take my two kids :) We have a family wedding in Miami on January 4th that we'll be driving to, so my hope is that we can schedule a WDW vacation the following week. My older son will start kindergarten in the fall, so I'm not sure what rules his school may have about taking him out of class for a week, though. That may make it impossible. Also the other key factor is if we're able to sell our house before then, since we'd likely be using some of the money from the sale for the trip. So... fingers crossed!! Originally I was thinking we could do WDW the week before the wedding for the holidays, but after reading on here so many stories about how crowded and expensive it is, no thanks!! This would be my dh's first time there, and I want him to want to go back, lol. He hates crowds, so early January seems like the best time to sell him on WDW. ;)

Welcome!

I'll be taking my kindergartener out for a week in Jan. The school technically doesn't "allow" it per sey, but my kid my rules ;) :P Attendance policy is more than 10 missed unexcused days is considered truant, but he will have no other reason to miss school unless he's genuinely ill so I'm not worried.

I took my DH for his first time this past Oct and my son and I will be going without him this Jan so good luck to you! LOL! Jan should be a good time to go, we used to always go in Jan and there were never any crowds! Were going the last week.

(First post... yay!!)

I'm reeeally hoping we'll be going in January '15! I haven't been to WDW since my senior class trip back in 2000, and now I'm really hoping to take my two kids :)

We have a family wedding in Miami on January 4th that we'll be driving to, so my hope is that we can schedule a WDW vacation the following week. My older son will start kindergarten in the fall, so I'm not sure what rules his school may have about taking him out of class for a week, though. That may make it impossible. Also the other key factor is if we're able to sell our house before then, since we'd likely be using some of the money from the sale for the trip. So... fingers crossed!!

Originally I was thinking we could do WDW the week before the wedding for the holidays, but after reading on here so many stories about how crowded and expensive it is, no thanks!! This would be my dh's first time there, and I want him to want to go back, lol. He hates crowds, so early January seems like the best time to sell him on WDW. ;)

My DH also hates crowds, which is why we chose have always done the Jan/Feb time frame. This year will be no different. For our first trip, we also took our kid out of school for her first trip - she was also in Kindergarten. I think it was the PERFECT age for her first trip - she was old enough to walk, old enough to remember, but young enough to get swept up in the absolute magic of it all.

The only downside of this time of year is that the weather is unpredictable. Our first trip, it was snowing when we arrived. To us, it wasn't a big deal - we had left 8" of snow on our driveway in Indianapolis! We brought our hats and winter coats and we were fine - we had our winter skins on, so the 30° didn't seem that cold to us after leaving -10° temps - heck it was balmy! By the end of the week though, we were back in just tshirts, as temps had climbed into the low 70's.

Our last trip, temps were in the 50's to 70's, and we just wore light jackets in the early mornings and after the sun went down. It rained quite a bit one day, but we made the most of it and just rode Splash Mountain (which is usually closed for rehab during that time of year) over and over! :-)

Good luck with planning... ADRs are only a couple months away!!!

Welcome!

I'll be taking my kindergartener out for a week in Jan. The school technically doesn't "allow" it per sey, but my kid my rules ;) :P Attendance policy is more than 10 missed unexcused days is considered truant, but he will have no other reason to miss school unless he's genuinely ill so I'm not worried.

I took my DH for his first time this past Oct and my son and I will be going without him this Jan so good luck to you! LOL! Jan should be a good time to go, we used to always go in Jan and there were never any crowds! Were going the last week.

Yeah, I was planning to pull the 'my kid, my rules' card, too, if they gave me a hard time about it! He shouldn't miss any other days, either, unless an emergency comes up.

I'm so worried that will be my dh's reaction, and we have a younger son who will be 18 months in January that I want to be able to go back for in a few years! My dh is a grumpy vacationer in general; he usually prefers to just sleep in the hotel. I'm hoping that since this will be so fun for the kids that he'll approach it with a more open attitude, though, lol.

The only downside of this time of year is that the weather is unpredictable. Our first trip, it was snowing when we arrived. To us, it wasn't a big deal - we had left 8" of snow on our driveway in Indianapolis! We brought our hats and winter coats and we were fine - we had our winter skins on, so the 30° didn't seem that cold to us after leaving -10° temps - heck it was balmy! By the end of the week though, we were back in just tshirts, as temps had climbed into the low 70's.

Our last trip, temps were in the 50's to 70's, and we just wore light jackets in the early mornings and after the sun went down. It rained quite a bit one day, but we made the most of it and just rode Splash Mountain (which is usually closed for rehab during that time of year) over and over! :-)

Good luck with planning... ADRs are only a couple months away!!!

I'm not as worried about the weather. We're living in NC now, but we lived in WA for five years and that's where my dh grew up, so we're pretty used to snow! We usually get a good laugh at how Raleigh shuts down with even a fine mist of snow. And snow would probably add to the magic for my kiddo, since he doesn't get to see it much here! So that's a win-win for us either way :thumbsup2

I'm so nervous about all the new planning aspects since the only two times I've gone has involved someone else planning (my parents when I was a kid, and my school when I was in hs). I've been reading the disboards since before I found out I was pregnant with my new son, and it's still so confusingly complicated to me. But I'm gonna give those ADRs my best shot, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter