January 2014 or May 2014

Cdnmom6

Mouseketeer
We are looking at booking our first ever Disney Cruise to celebrate our 40 birthdays and 15th Wedding anniversary all in 2014. I turn 40 in January (6) and would really like to be on the cruise for it but May (our anniversary) would be an easier time for our family to go. Any thoughts about those two times on the cruise, pros/ cons. I am thinking weather might not be the best in January....

Thanks for any advice you can give me. It is me, my husband a 10 year old boy and a 6 year old boy by then.

We have gone twice in Jan. one time they had to switch CC and Nassau bc of a storm but we still made it to both. Nights are a little chilly but still not cold enough that you can't take a dip in the pool.

January will be more reasonably priced than May. Early May will be cheaper than late May when schools start letting out.

Hurricane season begins June 1 but that does not mean they are impossible in May.

January will have cooler weather at Port Canaveral but it stays mild in the Caribbean year round. Do some research and see what you're comfortable with as far as water temperatures go.

We have cruised at both times of the year (late Jan and hurricane season several times) and have found tropical weather more disruptive than it being a little cool.

We live about an hour from the port as reference. Either way be flexible and have fun!

We have cruised both times of year and have had great weather both in May and January. I think its more of a gamble at Castaway in January but when we were there, it was in the 80's and sunny. Everyone was out swimming. Others have reported it being in the 60's and wrapped in a towel to stay warm. In May the water temps will be warmer.
If it was a short cruise, I would pick May- if you are looking at a week long, I'd pick where the pricing is best.
Good luck deciding! :goodvibes

I go every Jan but it's hit and miss with the weather. One time we completely missed castaway cay. May will most likely be more expensive. If I had to chose it would be May but other factors might influence your decision. For example, are you going to the parks before or after?

Would you go to the Bahamas or the Caribbean? I wouldn't book another January or February Bahamas cruise, as it can be cool there, as well as in Florida. On the other hand, May in Florida is usually hot, and it's even hotter in the Caribbean.

Buffalofan- can you elaborate on your January experiences with weather. We are heading out feb 1 on the fantasy western and looking forward to smooth sailing, cooler weather, and cc most of all. Have you had some bad experiences that time if year?

We usually cruise early May and it seems to be a great time. Great weather, great seas! We have cruise in Jan as well, but personally i prefer May :) Enjoy!

We did the DCL Panama Canal cruise in January 2011. It was too windy to dock at Castaway Cay, tho the captain tried four times.

the farther south, the hotter the weather. glad we didn't go in May. But if you aren't going that far south you should be fine.

I like the weather in January, but it's more unpredictable. Could be 60s/70s, could have a cold snap. Last year I went in February, and was hot in the middle of the day, so you never know. But, I LOVE that last week in Jan for the lowest crowds of the year - I go every year during a super-low Winter week and generally walk right onto everything, no lines or very short lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter