January 2011 HELP!!!

KateB

DIS Veteran
First off you must know that I am a HUGE Disney fan and I'm slowly woowing my DH over to the dark side. :lmao: He is rather quiet and our last trip (our honeymoon) he was starting to loosen up and show his childish side. I will win this battle! He loves Disney even if he pretends that he doesn't! hehe

So here is my predicament my DH and I are going to attempt the 1/2 Marathon next January. We are currently booked for our home resort (BLT) but are thinking of changing to another resort in June (our 7 month). We are only going for 3 nights and since it will only be our second trip on DVC we thought it might be a good trip to try another resort. We absolutely loved BLT last December/January Honeymoon and wouldn't mind if we have to stay there again. However, I was hoping for some input as to the other DVC resorts. We have heard that other resorts have better customer service and such. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Something to consider if you're doing the 1/2 marathon is the huge advantage of the monorail to get to/from the race. BLT is the only DVC on the monorail. All of the other resorts you have to rely on Disney buses. The last Disney bus leaves at 4 am. With the monorail you can wait longer to board so that means more sleep. Also the trip back is much easier on the monorail. There were tons of complaints of long bus lines back to the resorts after the race this year! Just something to think about as you decide.

I know the start place is right outside Epcot but what I do not know is whether you can walk through Epcot at that time (initial runners start going off about 5:30) since I have not done the race, although we have been at that time of year but don't get up for the start. If you can walk through Epcot that makes BWV or BCV ideal since you can walk to and through Epcot from either of them. If you have to take a bus from those then you have that 4 a.m. depart time.

Either of those resorts may be somewhat difficult to get for those three days at 7 months out except for BWV preferred pool or garden view (most rooms). The ideal view at BWV is boardwalk view but small chance of getting that. Nevertheless, BWV offers the following: (a) the main pool is right in the BWV side of the resort although pool time may be at a minimum (this year the temp was under 30 degrees when the race started). At BWV, there are three restaurants and ESPN (combined restaurant/bar and lots of TV screens to watch sports), a bakery, a large store, an ice cream/sweet shop, plus night time entertainment, and if you want you can rent a surrey bike to ride around the lake. The location is ideal. Frankly before we bought at BWV years ago we mainly stayed at MK resorts and once we started staying in the Epcot resort area we could think of no reason to ever go back to the MK area. It is ideally located: walk to two parks (or take boat) and with the Epcot resorts and the two parks you can walk to over 20 restaurants.

BCV provides the same benefits although the walk to Studios is longer, and you need to change buildings to get restaurants but it is not far. It has the best main pool on site but again in January you may see little use.

You definitely CANNOT walk to the start from BWV or BCV. I have done the race several times, and that has never been an option. I was thinking of staying in BLT this year to see how the monorail is for getting to the start. You would just walk from outside the Epcot entrance over to the starting line. It's dark, but there's enough parking lot light and staging lights for the race that I think that may be the best way. No matter what, the Disney half and Disney marathon starts are EARLY! Waiting for the bus at BWV - not much fun. Being able to walk home after the race and take a ride on Soarin' along the way...well, that's pretty fun!

I would agree with dismagiclover and stay in your home of BLT. You really will be at an advantage by having the option of taking the monorail! When we go back in Jan 2012 for the races, I am really hoping to get into the BLT for that exact reason! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter