January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part II !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to get a good day for us all to meet over the bridge in Liberty Square for the afternoon parade viewing. There's little tables and stools there and we can just swarm the area and take it over! If a few of us get there early enough, we can turn it into a Snowbird reserved spot. I may even call Disney to see if there's a way to reserve an area like that. Can't hurt to ask, right :confused3

I think it will be easier for those of us who will be there a little longer to give up some time to meet for a lunch or leisure time, so that's why I was thinking parade. That way, families will still have something to do while we Snowbirds meet and greet!

I do know there's enough of us at the All-stars to do our own meet, so I'm hoping to set up something there too, perhaps during the evening activities/movie. Once again, kids can be occupied, Snowbirds can have a cocktail ;)

I think once it gets closer and we all start to panic, then we'll be able to actually pick some dates, times and places. Until then, it doesn't quite seem real to me :rotfl:

Actually we were planning to skip the afternoon parade at MK this time since we've seen it so many times! We were hoping the line would be shorter for the rides during the parade!

Oh well, I'm sure we'll figure something out when it gets closer! :goodvibes

Afternoon snowbirds!
After catching up with the last few pages, forgive me for not quoting everyone, but I just had to respond to some things....

1) All Sound of Music lovers should check out Biergarten! It's great (mmmm German food) and I think I hear Edelweiss everytime I go. They also take requests! I'm really Austrian so whenever I'm in there we request our favorite songs to dance to! :dance3: They always get a kick out of us. lol.

2) Jane Austen is AWESOME! As is Charles Dickens. I just got a new Persuasion movie from Netflix, along with Tale of Two Cities. I love Netfix! :love: For all you musical lovers near NYC, GO SEE TALE OF TWO CITITES the MUSCIAL! It was really really great!

3) I really hope we can set up a Snowbirds meet! I'm going solo so I'm always up for meeting new Disfriends!!!!! :drinking1

4) You veteran Snowbirds will have to help me with my packing too! I'm already freaking out that I'm gonna have to pack everything I own! :scared1: I really hope to get away with skirts and capris the whole time, with only a light jacket. :confused3 I'm never a fan of going back to the resort midday so I hope one outfit with layers I can carry will do it.....

5) I'm loving the old school WDW pics!!! I'll have to dig some up and scan them in this weekend. I loved the old Toontown (or Birthdayland or Duckville was is too at one point?) :goodvibes

I suppose I should go work on being productive now...sigh....which means cleaning out my shoe collection, so I can buy new ones of course. Then it's off to Oktoberfest tonight!!!! :jumping1:
I hope everyone enjoys their Saturday, and I hope you are all having better weather than us, grrrr rain. :umbrella:

Oh and RIP Mr Newman. I think I'll go pop some of his popcorn in his memory.

Ha!! I would hope so!!:bride: :lovestruc What a wonderful honeymoon!! Me and my hubby will be married 15 years in April. I may have to think about honeymoon #2!! I think my kids would revolt!! Disney without them!!! They couldn't handle it!!!!
In all honesty, I may miss them too bad if I went without them.Where else would you girls go for a 15year anniv celebration?

I would go to Disney World. I dunno.... Disney is just a heck of a lot less stressful than just about anywhere else. I get really stressed when I'm in places where I don't understand the main language of communication.
You could do a cruise though... those are fun, and could potentially be cheaper than Disney. I guess it really depends on what you like to do, and what you want to see. I'll probably trade a few Disney vacations in the future for trips to Costa Rica, Australia, London, Paris in the springtime, Italy, Egypt, Jerusalem, Spain, South America, Alaska, Hawaii, etc....
Just think about places you've always wanted to go, and make your decision based on that. You can never really lose with a trip to Disney though.

I would go to Disney World. I dunno.... Disney is just a heck of a lot less stressful than just about anywhere else. I get really stressed when I'm in places where I don't understand the main language of communication.
You could do a cruise though... those are fun, and could potentially be cheaper than Disney. I guess it really depends on what you like to do, and what you want to see. I'll probably trade a few Disney vacations in the future for trips to Costa Rica, Australia, London, Paris in the springtime, Italy, Egypt, Jerusalem, Spain, South America, Alaska, Hawaii, etc....
Just think about places you've always wanted to go, and make your decision based on that. You can never really lose with a trip to Disney though.

Ohhhh Paris would be such a wonderfull 2nd Honeymoon spot!!!! :lovestruc
And of course, there is always Disneyland Paris, a wonderfully short train ride outside of the main city. Tres Romantic! (yeah for the record, I don't speak French! But it sounded cool :confused3 )

So are we planning any Snowbird meets or what??? :goodvibes Snykymom's lists have me thinking that there are so many Snowbirds that are going to be there the same time as me! I know it's hard to get everyone's schedules together though.

In May I was able to meet up with 3 other DISers for a CS lunch at DTD. It was a lot of fun to meet people I had been "talking" to for over a year! :goodvibes

I so want to be involved in a Snowbirds meet! I know that Northerndisneygirl has an ADR at Crystal Palace the same time as me and Monny2ae will be there an hour after us (Jan 28th). I picked up my LGMH's at Home Depot and will be displaying them proudly! We arrive on the 24th and will probably hit up DTD our first night. I'm sure that as Jan approaches we will all have a pretty solid itinerary and can work something out.

In regards to what to wear at the park, my idea is to wear layers and bring jeans and a sweatshirt for the evening. We will probably rent a locker in the a.m. and throw our heavier clothes in there. We are not the "go back to the hotel midday" people. We are staying offsite and I personally don't like to be away from the park. We won't be getting hoppers so we're stuck (not like I mind) at the same park all day.

Where do you work at 5am? Sounds awful!:rotfl2:

It's midafternoon and Scot's got lunch going. I'm sneaking a few minutes to check my e-mail and my threads! Hope all is well!

It poured down rain in Jerusalem last night. The cooler weather is coming and I have nothing for the kids out. I've got to get the winter stuff out and put away or give away the summer stuff. Time to think about going back to the States too! UGH. Too much going on!

I better just chill and Dis instead!:lmao:

I'm a nurse at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia. I occasionally work an over night shift and I hate it every time.

I'm a nurse at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia. I occasionally work an over night shift and I hate it every time.

ECK!!!! I feel your pain. I used to work the 5am shift at Barnes & Noble and hated every second of it!
At least you are suffering for a great cause....I would rather serve children who need our help than slave away for commercial America! So God Bless You & your dedication!

Hey, Ethansmommy - I found Lion King!

http://search.half.ebay.com/lion-king_W0QQmZmovies

Half.com is a subsidiary of ebay but does not have that auction format. I've had wonderful experiences with them - bought most of my grad school textbooks from there!

Happy Weekend everyone -- what am I doing this weekend? with folks sick or on vacation, I'm working :sad2: oh well.

Tomorrow is church and, since I've worked Fri/Sat, I'll need to do some yardwork :scared:

To all you Dickens' fans -- have y'all seen Bleak House or Our Mutual Friend? Those are great for rainy fall days.

Well Snowbirds, I hope that you all have a great Saturday evening. I have to get ready to go freeze to death. My friends and I are celebrating another friends birthday tonight. We're taking a sunset cruise on Lake Erie on whats called the Moondance Catamaran. The forecast was calling for rain, but it's still clear and sunny. I'm hoping that the rain holds off. We'll be out on the water from 8-10pm! Ah! I'm hoping that I can stay warm! Talk to you lovelies later!

Ohhhh Paris would be such a wonderfull 2nd Honeymoon spot!!!! :lovestruc
And of course, there is always Disneyland Paris, a wonderfully short train ride outside of the main city. Tres Romantic! (yeah for the record, I don't speak French! But it sounded cool :confused3 )

I went to Paris while I was studying abroad and I just LOVED it. However, I want to go back during the spring, because I think it would just be gorgeous. I tried to convince my future DH to take me to Disneyland while I was there, but he didn't go for the idea. Something about wanting his first Disney experience to be at the "World" not "land"

Wardrobe related: I'm testing out my Crocs today. Normally, I am opposed to Crocs, because I think they're hideous, (I feel the same way about Uggs...*gasp*) but I've heard their praises sung on these boards so many times, I thought I'd try them out. I got a free pair from my Aunt while I was visiting her over the summer. They're too small though, but even though they are I can see why people like them. They ARE really comfortable. I might have to go get some that actually fit. We'll see...

Also, Disneystore.com is having a sale on most of their T-shirts. $5.00 a piece. I convinced my Mom that we needed to take advantage of it, and my little sister found my brother's Disney Giftcard that he still had left over from our last trip, (I know...amazing....how?... He's an 18 year old boy that doesn't really want anything...) so we bought 10 shirts. I'm really excited, because I needed more t-shirts, and now my mom, sisters and I can have almost matching shirts for what was supposed to be our All-Girls Trip in June (now the boys are coming.... silly boys)

This one's my favorite of the shirts I'm getting (it was actually $7.99, but I fell in love with it)
58855Mfull.jpg

I actually fell in love with a Nightmare Before Christmas tunic as well, but it was too expensive. I'm hoping that it might go on sale after Halloween...

Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my! :) Just dropped in to see what y'all have been chattin' 'bout t'day! And to my wonder and amazement, we ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT MOVIES! :lmao:

Today was a busy day! We all had haircuts and then Dh and the girls were at church for most of the afternoon (Dh produces and directs dramas that are done during weekend services) while I was at home cleaning out the fridge, doing laundry and then out to buy groceries! :laundy:

Tonite is DH's night to get out for some sanity time so I think I will curl up with a great movie and a bowl of popcorn:: after the girls are in bed! :woohoo:

Church tomorrow and then later in the afternoon we are all going back to chuch for a special family event - dinner and a movie! :) I think the movie is Rocketman - has anyone seen it? I haven't and know absolutely nothing about it!

Weather wise it has been raining lots here too! HAd a great big ole thunder and lightening storm last night! :upsidedow Absolutely amazing! :) My city is not called THUNDER BAY for any other reason! :rotfl2:

Hope everyone has a super fun evening and a great day tomorrow! :grouphug:

One day, are you kidding me???? :sad2:

I kid you not!! I leave the 20th and you arrive on the 21st I believe and trust me I have been tempted more than once to extend my stay by a day...I'm really thinking about! Just cuz then I can do a whole day of Animal Kingdom and get to meet a few other snowbirds...I think trixie arrives on the 21st too...and for me that would be worth it!!

I went to Paris while I was studying abroad and I just LOVED it. However, I want to go back during the spring, because I think it would just be gorgeous. I tried to convince my future DH to take me to Disneyland while I was there, but he didn't go for the idea. Something about wanting his first Disney experience to be at the "World" not "land"

Wardrobe related: I'm testing out my Crocs today. Normally, I am opposed to Crocs, because I think they're hideous, (I feel the same way about Uggs...*gasp*) but I've heard their praises sung on these boards so many times, I thought I'd try them out. I got a free pair from my Aunt while I was visiting her over the summer. They're too small though, but even though they are I can see why people like them. They ARE really comfortable. I might have to go get some that actually fit. We'll see...

Also, Disneystore.com is having a sale on most of their T-shirts. $5.00 a piece. I convinced my Mom that we needed to take advantage of it, and my little sister found my brother's Disney Giftcard that he still had left over from our last trip, (I know...amazing....how?... He's an 18 year old boy that doesn't really want anything...) so we bought 10 shirts. I'm really excited, because I needed more t-shirts, and now my mom, sisters and I can have almost matching shirts for what was supposed to be our All-Girls Trip in June (now the boys are coming.... silly boys)

This one's my favorite of the shirts I'm getting (it was actually $7.99, but I fell in love with it)
58855Mfull.jpg

I actually fell in love with a Nightmare Before Christmas tunic as well, but it was too expensive. I'm hoping that it might go on sale after Halloween...

SALE ON DISNEY SHIRTS:eek: I'm so heading to that site now to look at a few !! I wore Mickey on Friday to school and my students loved it LOL!! I think they want me to wear a different Disney shirt on Fridays up till I leave LOL!! I don't own that many Disney shirts so I'll just have to buy a few!!

Wow, you ladies are chatty!! Time to play catch up....

QOTW- Favorite disney movie? whoa, that is a toughie. But I am going to say Beauty and the Beast. Favorite movie of all time? The Breakfast Club. I know it word for word. I like musicals. Fell in love with Chorus Line first. Have seen Jesus Christ Superstar, Fiddler, Phantom here and in Toronto, and last Christmas my awesome BIL bought us tix for Lion King. My girls were mesmerized by it. I would LOVE to see Mary in NYC.

I also cried during ER. I had DVR'd but DH had watched it. As soon as I started it, he brought me a box of kleenex. I knew I was in trouble. I cried when he died but mostly when Archie gave the ring to Fatima. So sad.

As for weekend plans, I worked today. Then we went to Greenfield Village for a couple of hours to hang out. Now the girls are watching a movie. Disney, of course. DH has gone up to the hospital to see DBIL. He had some major back surgery recently and got readmitted last night for some complications. I hope he heals perfectly in time for Disney!! Tomorrow I have to work, then who knows. I am sure DH will head up there again and I took out a pork loin to grill. I can't believe we are getting down to double digits for all of us!! Go snowbirds Go!! :banana: :cool1:

Ah yes, my Target shoppers- Some christmas should be set in your stores. Check out the Disney stuff!!!

Well we just went to WDW in May for our 10th anniversary and we took the kids with us!!! :goodvibes We rarely leave them at all. I just feel too bad. They would never forgive us if we went to WDW without them!

We have actually been talking about going away for a night this fall (after soccer is over). Considering the fact that the last time we went anywhere without them was in 2003 on our fifth anniversary I think we are long overdue! I just don't want to go too far. I know it should be easier to leave them the older they get, but for me it seems to get harder! I know, I'm weird!! :rotfl:

Shelly-you are definitely NOT weird!! and if you are, I am in the same boat!! I hate leaving my kids. I really think it would be mean & cruel to leave them for a Disney trip. I think I should plan something they wouldn't be interested in. Like Niagra Falls, or something like that. I loved the idea for overseas trip---but that is something else I want to do as a family. Well, it's off to do more:laundy: ---NEVER ENDING!!

Oh hey- has anybody seen 'Fireproof' yet? I think we may get to go tomorrow!! Can't wait!! Flywheel and Facing the Giants were both awesome-if you haven't seen these yet go rent them. We really liked these movies.

Good Evening, Snowbirds!

Looks like things are slowing down around here today. Less than 10 pages today. What's up with that?

We were out to dinner tonight, celebrating hubby's new position. It was very yummy. Now I'm sitting down watching the Penn State game, keeping my fingers crossed for a victory tonight.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

I'm at 101 days today. On Monday, I will start my double digit dance. Everyone stretch out and get ready to dance with me. We don't want any pulled muscles!

Hey everyone. I know we're slow on the weekends - we actually DO have other responsibilities, don't we?

Had the dryer fixed today - $185 for some temperature coil. Oh well, cheaper than a new one, so I shouldn't complain. Once again, the Disney fund gets hit for an unexpected repair on something :sad2: One more dinner in the room, I guess.

Great afternoon - PHILLIES WIN and clinch the National League East. We are huge Phillies fans in our house, so it was really fun and exciting to see the game today. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Shelly, I'm sure we can find somewhere to meet, even if it's for 5 minutes. I can't possibly get through this trip without meeting some of you, maybe we'll take a ride over to CBR and check it out!! I'm sure when it gets closer, we'll all figure it out!

Have a great night peeps. See ya in the AM.

Good evening ladies,

I just had to share that i've made another payment on the trip. We now have 8 of our 9 days paid!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana: :cool1: :thumbsup2 :woohoo: :cheer2: :jumping1: :rainbow: :Pinkbounc :ccat: :donald: :dumbo: :sulley: :tigger: :mickeyjum pixiedust:

I absolutely LOVE wearing Crocs. I agree that they look strange but if you get a pair in your size, you'll see that they are VERY comfortable. I have bad knees and achilles problems, and Crocs are the only thing I can wear and walk for any length of time without pain. I believe that Crocs will make it okay for me at Disney World - I was afraid I might have to rent a scooter, but finding Crocs has really changed my life!

The colors are fun, and you can get Disney Crocs, which makes them extra fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter