Jan vs Dec

Tikitoi

DIS Veteran
So we were planning on coming back to WDW in December. But remembering those crowds has me rethinking January instead.
For those who have been in January, how is it weather-wise, crowd-wise etc. Is there going to be a big difference between Jan and Dec. And even for dining, does it make a difference.
Also we will be driving down from Upstate NY so weather wise how is that for that time of year.

Thanks

I think it depends when in January you are going. There is Marathon weekend, Martin Luther King Day that may be more crowded. The rest of the month should be much less so. We are going in January this year. We went December last year the week before Christmas and didn't think it was that crowded. But, January works out better for my kids in college - so we are trying. The weather is similar to December in that it is unpredictable. I plan to keep a close eye on the 10 day forecast and bring layers.

I think it depends on when in December you were planning to go. We have been in early December and early January. In January we were there during the marathon weekend and didn't notice any increase in crowds from that. People are there for the most part to run. They seem to prepare before the race and rest after the race and then go home. While they are running the crowds didn't seem to be different either. However the traffic was more of a problem, but that was just for that morning of the race. Comparing crowds, it was less crowded in January but didn't seem to be a huge difference. As for weather, it was slightly cooler in January than December. We wore shorts more in early December than early January. We were a huge group both times from Wisconsin/Minnesota so we still swam for both trips.

Had we stuck with Dec it would have been the week of christmas. In Jan it will be thd 7th up to MLK day. We are also choosing Jan due to college schedules. Plus waiting until Jan gives better rates.

I would choose January over actual Christmas week, but January has dropped way down on our list due to the crazy Brazilian tour groups that frequently show up in January and July.

ETA that the weather is usually much better in December as well.

Oh yes, January for sure if you're option in December is Christmas week. Cheaper and less crowded...it's a win win! Weather should be about the same end of dec-beg of jan...typical FL winter weather, you know one day you're in shorts and the next day a sweatshirt :) We go alot in January and once week after Christmas, we just have to pack a little bit of everything.

Thanks all. But any idea when the Brazilian tour groups are there, in January.

We went early January this year, were lucky to have good weather (can be cold). Crowds were kinda bad but not as bad as near Christmas or soon after.

I know when we went in December, a few years ago, the weather was fine for our taste. But I think the excitement is going to be more in the drive down, because of never having driven to Disney.

So we were planning on coming back to WDW in December. But remembering those crowds has me rethinking January instead.
For those who have been in January, how is it weather-wise, crowd-wise etc. Is there going to be a big difference between Jan and Dec. And even for dining, does it make a difference.
Also we will be driving down from Upstate NY so weather wise how is that for that time of year.

Thanks
Have basically the same questions....flying down 1/20/16 until 1/27/16 also from Upstate NY....Found great flights at $89 each way...

But I think the excitement is going to be more in the drive down, because of never having driven to Disney.
Have basically the same questions....flying down 1/20/16 until 1/27/16 also from Upstate NY....
Driving or flying, the key concern will be weather in NY. Start doing your "no snow" dance right now...

January will have shorter park hours and shorter daylight (gets dark earlier), higher probability of refurbishments, and good chance of some downright cold weather. We're also from upstate NY and were there the week before Thanksgiving last year when it was unseasonably cold. Highs in the low 60s with lows in the upper 40s. Along the lines of January weather. We were in pants and jackets the whole time and the outdoor rides were brutally cold. Pool and water rides were out of the question. It was mostly cloudy so no sun to help out. Low 60s doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't reach that until later in the afternoon so if you do rope drop like us, you're really dealing with temps in the 50s. December will be more crowded but if you can go earlier in the month, it will help.

We are headed back at the end of Jan. We did the same week last year and had a blast! We never felt like it was crowded. In fact we walked on to alot of rides and had minimal waits for the bigger attractions. We even snagged FP's for SDMT from the kiosk at the park after our first 3 were used up. Shorter hours at the park might be a problem for some, but we just stayed all day with no break and then were able to get a good nights sleep and do it again with no problem (with a 4 yo). For us the weather was perfect, jeans and tee shirts, but we did see some people wearing jackets. We didn't go expecting to use the pools or anything if that is important to you. 2 years ago we went to DL the first week of December and it was beautiful with all the decorations, to me that was the only negative of going in Jan- no holiday magic:)

I would just say too that if you compare either month (except the week of Christmas to New Years of course), it is better than the summer in regard to crowds and weather.
We went in mid-January (I ran the marathon) and there were lots of Brazilians but I found that rather fun.
And we've found the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas to be light crowds compared to other times of the year.
It's relative :)

We went last January during MLK week and are planning on doing the same this January. Every once in awhile I saw a Brazilian group, but the parks didn't seem overrun with them.

ETA: I also love the idea of going after the holidays... It gives you something else to look forward to.

January will be significantly cheaper and less crowded. Check free crowd calendar for each month at easywdw.com

If you want to see holiday decorations, try earlier in December. Whatever you do, avoid the Xmas holiday week when everything is jam-packed and at its most expensive.

<<<another upstate New Yorker here. Going down late January, 1/24-1/27, staying at AS Sports. Never been in January but have been in early December where I thought the weather was great.

January will have shorter park hours and shorter daylight (gets dark earlier), higher probability of refurbishments, and good chance of some downright cold weather. We're also from upstate NY and were there the week before Thanksgiving last year when it was unseasonably cold. Highs in the low 60s with lows in the upper 40s. Along the lines of January weather. We were in pants and jackets the whole time and the outdoor rides were brutally cold. Pool and water rides were out of the question. It was mostly cloudy so no sun to help out. Low 60s doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't reach that until later in the afternoon so if you do rope drop like us, you're really dealing with temps in the 50s. December will be more crowded but if you can go earlier in the month, it will help.

Come on 40 degree weather is warm to us New Yorkers in Buffalo:flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter