Jan 4-9...no ADR's

mustseethemouse

Earning My Ears
ok, I am just not a planner :confused3 We have no ADR's for our up coming trip. Is it to late? This is our first trip to WDW. Its me, dh, dd8, dd6, ds 4. We are on the myw dining plan. Where should we make sure we eat? I dont have the "must see it all/ do it all" attitude, but I dont want to miss something that would make our trip just so much more special.

TIA,
Debi K

That's a pretty tough question. Since you don't have any places picked out yet and this is your first trip I'll give you a few of the places that we like to go to. Since you have young children I'll list the ones that are very kid firendly. First off let me say that after you make up your mind get on the phone and call Disney Dine since it may be difficult with 5 people.

MK - Liberty Tree Tavern, Crystal Palace
EP - LeCellier, Teppanyaki, Restaurant Marrakesh
MGM - 50's Prime Time Cafe, Mama Melrose, Sci-Fi Drive-in
Resorts - O'hana, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Cape May Cafe, Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fair

Hope this helps.

It is definately not too late....be sure to look over some menus and pick a few. We will be there from the 1st through the 8th and while the 1st through the 3rd are the most busy, your remaing days will also be busy due to the marathon.
:paw:

We're going from Jan. 2-7; DD8 and DD6 need to be back as school is back in session the following Monday. We're okay with DD3.5 missing preschool. DW and my mother round out our troop of 6 for this trip.

We're pretty much in the same boat on ADRs as we did not decide to take the trip until about a week or two ago. We've since booked Chef Mickey on the night of our arrival and O'hana for breakfast on the day of our departure. We're still trying to figure out the rest.

From experience on our last two trips, we are shooting for about one ADR type meal per day, either a lunch (or last sitting of character breakfast) or a dinner. We'll do breakfast in the room at the hotel. The other meal we plan to play by ear (hunger and/or exhaustion). Depending on snacking through the day, we may go on two "meals" on many days.

The kids love meeting the characters, and I love watching the kids meeting the character. And, okay I'll admit that I enjoy meeting the characters as well. Our last trip we did 1900 Park Fare at GF when it was a Pooh theme, and Tigger gave me bouncing lessons around the restaurant, which my children enjoyed immensely. If your kids are into the characters, allearsnet has a pretty good table in under the dining link that organizes the character dining venues by character.

We will be there about the same time as you. I had our ADRs in place, but switched a few of them yesterday and had no trouble getting what I wanted.

FYI - 50's Prime Time will be closed during your visit. They are going to be closed from Jan 4-28.

Here is where we are eating:

Kona Cafe - dinner and breakfast, Spoodles - dinner and breakfast, Boma - dinner, Cindy's - lunch, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Grand Floridian Cafe, Rain Forest Cafe at AK, Earl of Sandwich, Beaches and Cream, 50's, Tomorrowland Noodle Station, Rose and Crown

other great places we enjoy:

Jiko, Flying Fish, Liberty Tree Tavern, Palio, Cape May Cafe, Big River Grill, Portobello Yacht Club

I would say definitely do it if you're on the dining plan. I mean what happens if you can't get a TS restaurant for a meal? You're out the money you paid for that, plus any OOP expenses for another counter service meal. JM.02

Based on recent history, I would expect WDW to be practically deserted the time you're scheduled to be there.....so ADR's are probably not really necessary if you can be a little flexible on times and/or eating places. Also, it will probably be possible to make them the same day, or the day prior...have fun :smooth:

We are going to be there the same time as the OP -- BUT I would not expect it to be deserted --- there are a lot of schools across the country that do not go back until January 9. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is not that crowded, but I would not be surprised if there were more people there than usual.

Make some adrs -- can't hurt, might help.

Lauren

Most of the schools here in Southern GA don't go back until the 9th as the previous poster said.

I'm surprising my 9 y/o GD with a trip to WDW Jan 2nd-8th for a Christmas present. I called at exaclty 90 days out and got PSB dinner for our arrival night (breakfast nor lunch available anytime during that week), Donald's breakfastosaurus, Rainforest Cafe, 'Ohannas breakfast (she loves Stitch), Brown Derby, Sci-Fi, House of Blues, Planet Hollywood (at 5:45pm as they do not take ADRs after 6:00pm), Crystal Palace (breakfast), and CRT (lunch-unable to get breakfast for anytime that week). The CM that made my ADRs said at that time that the restaraunts seem to be much busier than they usually are at that time of year.

Back in Sept (during the free dining promo) we saw LOTS of people without ADRs being turned away. This past January we saw people turned away from CRT and CP. In May I saw people turned away from CP, Mama Melrose, and Le Cellier.

If your kids are into the characters I would try to get into some character meals. I know it's late, but with two daughters I would definitely be calling every day to try to get into CRT and PSB. Every girl should eat in the castle at least once. My 9 y/o GD is a total tomboy, but absolutely loved eating in the castle with the Princesses last January. Call everyday, maybe even several times a day until you get in. Also remember that cancellations must be made for CRT 48 hours in advance to keep credit cards from being charged, so call even while you're down there. Good luck and welcome to the dis boards!

When I was there this past Jan 9-14th, I had made ADRs in advance but ended up changing just about all of them once I was there. I had no problems getting into any restaurant although our dinner time was usually around 8pm. My favorite from that trip was O'hana's and I had a good lunch at Rose and Crown. This trip I am looking forward to Boma.

mtdevine615 said:
MK - Liberty Tree Tavern, Crystal Palace
EP - LeCellier, Teppanyaki, Restaurant Marrakesh
MGM - 50's Prime Time Cafe, Mama Melrose, Sci-Fi Drive-in
Resorts - O'hana, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Cape May Cafe, Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fair

That all looks like a good set of recommendations to me!

I'd make the ADR's.It won't be deserted,it's marathon weekend ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter