Jan. 28,29: Worth it to book RPR for one night just for FOTL?

Lucky'sMom

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting US/IOA for 3 1/2 days from Jan. 27-30. Got a great rate at the Marriott Grande Vista for a 2 bedroom, and prefer this since we have 3 kids and really like the space. I have a reservation for RPR at AAA rate of $159 for the same dates that I had made prior. I'm not sure what to do. I'm considering keeping just one night at RPR, just for the FOTL perk. But if the crowds are very small, I will feel like it was a waste of money. We will not be riding most coasters, as my kids are too young and not interested. We most likely would not use the room to sleep, possibly just to change if we decide to swim there. Do you think it's worth over $170 (with tax) to have FOTL on Jan. 28 and 29, or do you really think it's not necessary? :confused3

I have to say that I love staying at the on-site hotels sooo much its tempting to say that you should do it. But honestly, in Jan. it seems like moving the kids would be more of a pain than its worth to me. I would cancel it personally, and do the "go early" technique to beat the big crowds. Someday, tho, ya gotta try those on-site hotels. :sunny:

I think FOTL is worth it's weight in gold. That is a decent rate for RPR too. Having FOTL makes your day at the parks so much more enjoyable. I won't visit Universal without it.

I'd stay onsite because you would have 2 days of FOTL-the day you check-in and the day you check-out-. You never know if there's some special event or convention planned that could really bring in lots of people to the parks.

If it matters, the Tony Hawk event is that weekend. I'm not sure what kind of impact that may have on park attendance. (?) We tried to pick a time when the crowds would be thin, but some things can't be planned for! :flower:

I would say that might make a difference. It really is an amazing perk, I will always stay on site myself. I originally thought thoe dates would be slow enough for you to do without, but try to get some info on the crowds during Tony Hawk to be sure, i know my son would love to be there for that.

I am in a similar situation but our family of 5 is going down during the busy week before Easter for 7 days. So we decided to do 3 nights at a timeshare, where we will hang our for 1 day, go to Sea World another. Then we will transfer to RPR for one night so we can do US and IOA with FOTL one day each. Then to another timeshare from which we will go to waterparks and back to US, IOA or Seaworld without FOTL just to do the things we missed the first time around. I figure we will pack really light since I can do laundry at night at the timeshares so changing accomodations hopefully will not be too painful.

But in your situation, since the lines probably won't be too long in January and you will NOT be doing the roller coasters, you will probably be okay staying offsite and just getting to the parks a little before opening.

Have fun with whatever you decide! :flower:

My nephew has stayed in a time share and has booked a room at the RPR for one night, but did not stay at the RPR. They used the room during the day to change clothes and take naps and enjoy the pool, etc. That way, they did not have to pack up and move anyting, but still got the FOTL perk for two days and had the convenience of a room on site to use for the day.

That's just what I was thinking of doing...not actually sleeping at RPR, just using the room for a rest and for the FOTL. If it wasn't for the Tony Hawk event, I think I might cancel, but that has me a little concerned.

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your input...it is so appreciated! :flower3:

I would keep the room! If the number of rooms sold, indicates if it will be a busy weekend then it is going to be crowded.

I went online to look at room rates that weekend, and there are no AP rates at either HRH or RPR, PB had some. Alot of room catergories were sold out!

It looks like it is going to be crowded. I think it also depends on your finincial situation. If you can swing it without cutting into the rest of the trip then go for it! My family loved FOTL access (even though the parks were not crowded).. Hey standing on a 20 minute line versus a 5 minute line.. for me is WELL worth it.

Do it! We brought our niece and nephew last year, went one night into RPH and it was sooooooooooooooooooo worth it for the park perks as we were doing 1 day at Universal. I also love to check out the other hotels, its so much fun, its like an adventure in itself to enjoy another hotel for the night. I kinda wish I did 2 days tho, because the Universal hotels are so wonderful, but it is so worth it! Have fun!

I think we are going to do the same thing this year. Stay at a timeshare and then book one night at RPH. We might stay there our first night in orlando and then transfer to the timeshare.

Lucky's Mom..

Just checking in, hope you had a great vacation!! Maybe you could update us, Did you decide to book the one night?? Now, that your vacation has passed did you feel like you made the right decision. I just thought your insights that you have now, may help other people in the future with the same decision.

Thanks for asking! Well...we actually ended up staying in a deluxe room at the Portofino. We decided that FOTL was really important to us. It was the best decision! We stayed for 2 nights, went to US/IOA for 3 days, and had a fabulous time. The PBH is gorgeous, and so relaxing. We enjoyed everything about it, and the boat ride to the parks was wonderful. We even ate dinner next to Tony Hawk at the Trattoria one night, and he graciously let us take his picture with our 9 year old son! My kids loved the beach pool, and listen to this one....I asked them what their favorite hotel we stayed at was (we stayed at Springhill Suites in Lake Buena Vista the first 2 nights when we went to WDW, PBH for 2 nights, and then went to the NICK HOTEL for the last night as part of the marketing promo they were doing that Monday.) and they chose the PORTOFINO! Although they really enjoyed the Nick Hotel, they seemed to appreciate the beauty of the PBH. Our deluxe room had a bathroom the size of my 5 year old's bedroom. We ate dinner with Scooby and Woody Woodpecker at the Trattoria. It was just a wonderful, relaxing time, and we will definitely stay on-site for any Universal vacations!
And...I can't imagine doing US/IOA again without FOTL. Even though it wasn't incredibly crowded when we there, the wait time for the Mummy was 40 minutes, and we rode it 3 times in a row with NO WAIT - NONE! We walked right on in the Express Line. How much value is that worth? Alot to me. :) :cheer2:

This is exactly what I'm doing in May. 5 nights CSR and 1 not RPR. The FOTL option was a no brainer for me. I sure wish they had this at WDW.

Thank you for updating us!! SOunds like you had a great vacation. My whole family (9 of us), we stayed at CSR in disney, Gaylord Palms, and everyone decided HRH was by far the best part of our trip!

I am hooked on FOTL too!! I would not go to universal any other way. Even a 15-20 minute line is a line to me and to get to walk through that and just show your id was great and get right on the line is great. My nephews felt like rock stars! OMG.. Tony Hawlk my nephews would have died they love him. I didnt realize until it was too late, to try to plan a trip that they were having tony hawlk week. I hope they do it again next year, because we will be there!

We just stayed at the HRH from 1/30-2/3. Loved the location, enjoyed many aspects of the hotel (were very disappointed in others). Did not need the fotl at all-- both parks were nearly empty all week. In high season, I think it would make a big difference, but right now it isn't much of a benefit (although walking into the parks is a fabulous benefit).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter