• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jan. 2010, need some Jan. info.

WeLoveLilo05

DIS Veteran
I am trying my very best to get back to the world ASAP...haha, we are thinking of doing a big family trip in Aug 2010 (about 11 of us). But was thinking of doing a small trip (just the 3 of us) in Jan 2010 for DD's 5th birthday and my college degree completion (it would be OFFICIAL by then as I would be done with student teaching). So here's my Qs....

When does value season start in Jan?

Are there any types of promotions that are typically seen in Jan?

How's the weather? Can you swim?

How's the crowds?

What time do the parks typically close?

Playing around with the idea :)

We went this past Jan. The 8th through the 12th.

We didnt get any real deals but hey at least we got to go!!!

We wore pants and t-shirts. sweatshirts in the early morning and late night. I have to say every time we left or came back to the resort there were people in the pool. Personally - no way was I getting in the water. But pleanty of people were!

We actually ended up going Marathon wkend and I was a little afraid but all in all the crowds werent that bad. I think our longest wait for something may have been 20 min (except for TSM in DHS - thats always 60 min or more!).

They are on off season hrs but if your staying onsite EMH may give you the extra time you need.

All in all we'd do Jan again:thumbsup2

Hope this helps!

I went Jan of 2008, the 9th to the 18th I think, and was also there for Marathon weekend.

The longest we waited was probably 45 minutes for peter pan. Otherwise, lines were extremly short. My son and I were going to run over to BTMRR real quick, and ride it "just one more time" before the fireworks. We left my wife and other son at Peter pan, and had plans to meet them in a half hour. In that half hour we rode BTMRR 3 times, and still had plenty of time to get back to fantasyland to watch the fireworks.

As far as weather goes, on my first trip in Jan we had beutiful weather. No rain at all. This past time in Jan 2008, we had one full day of rain, and it sprinkled a few other times. It was warm in the begining of the week, so warm that we almost went to the water park. We all were in the pool.

Towards the end of the week it got cooler, but still shorts and t shirt weather. (of course, the day we left Rochester NY it was 15 degrees out, so I'm fairly certain it was probably low to mid 60's during the cooler part of the week, which was still shorts weather for us, but definitly not shorts weather for all!)

Jan is a great time to go, and we actually had plans to go again in Jan 2010 but the free dining promotion convinced us to go in august. It'll definitly be warm enough to swim then!

We were there in Jan 2009 and I did manage to get AP rate for a few nights of our stay. The weather was nice though a few days were frosty but I think only 2 days of rain in the 15 days we were there. I found the weather better in Jan than when we were there a few weeks ago in May as it rained everyday!

We are going again in Jan 2010, the short waits are just great even though the parks are not open too late.:)

We were there in Jan 2009 and I did manage to get AP rate for a few nights of our stay. The weather was nice though a few days were frosty but I think only 2 days of rain in the 15 days we were there. I found the weather better in Jan than when we were there a few weeks ago in May as it rained everyday!

We are going again in Jan 2010, the short waits are just great even though the parks are not open too late.:)

We suffered through that rain too! :(
But we still had a good time.

I am glad you asked this since we're going in January :)

It'll be nice to be able to go to WDW when it's not ridiculously hot like in September!

As for hours, I have been looking at January 2008 in the wdwinfo.com site to get an idea of what the hours will be like, we're going over MLK weekend and into that week so I am slightly worried about the crowds but not too much!

When are you going WeLoveLilo05?

We went in Jan 08 and have a trip planned for Jan 2010.

The girls and I wore jeans / capris with short sleeve shirts. We did all have sweatshirts that came on and off throught the trip.

The kids did go swiming a couple of times in the evening. Although the pools were heated the air too cold for me.

We went in May and are going again in Jan 2010 because i just cant' stand to wait a Year! LOL
Great answers thanks. Hr. look comporable to end of May!
You've given me hope that it's not TOO crowded from the Marathon People.
Anyone with more info on that?
Also how long do they keep the Xmas decorations up? Osbourne lights?

Thanks you are all very helpful! :love:

We are headed to the World in Jan too. The 23 -30th. I can't wait.
I can't wait to see the crowd levels and such. I am sure it will be a huge difference from the last time we went. We went July 08 and it was HOT & crowded. I am from New England so the weather here is unpridictable. It changes from moment to moment. I would rather be in Disney on a cold day than here in MA when it's snowing and cold. :thumbsup2

i'm also going in january! they don't post anything about refurbs this far out, do they?

and i'm glad to hear that the weather is decent

Excited for Jan again!!!!

We got the buy 4 get 3 free promo last time we went... stayed Jan 8th - 18th.

by the time we go again, we'll be AP holders and hopefully we'll get some good codes because of it.

We were at WDW in January this year! We were there from the 19th (MLK day) to the 29th! We are hoping to return next year for a week at the end of the month!

WEATHER: iffy! We had days in the 40's and days in the 80's! Definitely pack a little of everything! We were able to swim a few times, no water park though! Being from Northern Ontario it was WAY warmer in Florida than it was at home! ;)

CROWDS: I thought the crowds were fine! Very manageable. I used the UG's crowd calendar to plan our park days and we only had one crowded day when we went to an EMH!

I believe value season starts on January 1st and runs through to Presidents Day with the exception of MLK weekend!

We were able to use the 4/3 promotion and stayed at WL! We loved it so much! We really want to go back again next year at the same time! We are hoping to stay at POFQ! :goodvibes

We were there Jan 4-12 this year and the weather was beeaauu-ti-ful. Shorts and tees every day. We went at rope drop and all day most days. We were on the pay for 4 get 3 free and added the dining. Also were given a $200 gift card to use, so our total(2 adults) was about $1400. We added another night (at POP) for $49 through Travelocity.
Value season starts after the first or the weekend it falls on. MLK weekend goes a little higher.

I am glad you asked this since we're going in January :)

It'll be nice to be able to go to WDW when it's not ridiculously hot like in September!

As for hours, I have been looking at January 2008 in the wdwinfo.com site to get an idea of what the hours will be like, we're going over MLK weekend and into that week so I am slightly worried about the crowds but not too much!

When are you going WeLoveLilo05?

Well I am toying around with the idea of January, it is between Jan. 2010 and Aug 2010. If we went in January I was thinking of waking DD up on the 15th and saying "Happy Birthday, we're going to Disney" haha and then staying for 6-7 days. She will be turning 5 and will only be in Pre-K and I will just be finishing up my degree in Dec. so I more than likely won't have a steady job at that point, just subbing at a school.
I have never gone on a plane during the colder, possibly icey months here in NJ. I am also worried b/c Jan. cold and flu is going around like crazy.
But my WHOLE family might go in Aug so we might just go then and go during free dining if they offer it again (which I hope they do!).
Jan sounds good b/c its not HOT and Aug sounds good b/c the family is going and possibly free dining.

Excited for Jan again!!!!

We got the buy 4 get 3 free promo last time we went... stayed Jan 8th - 18th.

by the time we go again, we'll be AP holders and hopefully we'll get some good codes because of it.

How do you become AP holder and is it beneficial if you only go once a year? What are the pros/cons?

Well I am toying around with the idea of January, it is between Jan. 2010 and Aug 2010. If we went in January I was thinking of waking DD up on the 15th and saying "Happy Birthday, we're going to Disney" haha and then staying for 6-7 days. She will be turning 5 and will only be in Pre-K and I will just be finishing up my degree in Dec. so I more than likely won't have a steady job at that point, just subbing at a school.
I have never gone on a plane during the colder, possibly icey months here in NJ. I am also worried b/c Jan. cold and flu is going around like crazy.
But my WHOLE family might go in Aug so we might just go then and go during free dining if they offer it again (which I hope they do!).
Jan sounds good b/c its not HOT and Aug sounds good b/c the family is going and possibly free dining.

My mom sort of did that with me only it was for Easter and for Disneyland when I was 10. It was really awesome I still remember so much from that trip and it was 11 years ago... yikes!

Yes, I am worried about the ice and snow as well. I have only gone in Dec/Jan once and that was to NYC, going over the Rockies was not so fun. In December of this past winter, our airports were shut down for close to a week :scared1: I am really glad that I didn't have to fly then. Only time will tell but I can't go back on it since I am renting DVC points... which I got a really good deal on for 5 nights at Kidani so I can't complain.

I can't help you choose between Jan and FD since we plan on doing both. Assuming it's going to be offered again, we will be going in September 2010 also... yes, I know go to Disney World too much.

It looks like we're going around that same time roughly so maybe, hopefully, I'll see you there!

My mom sort of did that with me only it was for Easter and for Disneyland when I was 10. It was really awesome I still remember so much from that trip and it was 11 years ago... yikes!

Yes, I am worried about the ice and snow as well. I have only gone in Dec/Jan once and that was to NYC, going over the Rockies was not so fun. In December of this past winter, our airports were shut down for close to a week :scared1: I am really glad that I didn't have to fly then. Only time will tell but I can't go back on it since I am renting DVC points... which I got a really good deal on for 5 nights at Kidani so I can't complain.

I can't help you choose between Jan and FD since we plan on doing both. Assuming it's going to be offered again, we will be going in September 2010 also... yes, I know go to Disney World too much.

It looks like we're going around that same time roughly so maybe, hopefully, I'll see you there!

There's never such a thing as too much disney haha. I was running the idea of doing Jan and Aug through fiance. I said well if we go just in Aug or just in Jan then I am surely staying at a deluxe, but if we go twice I'll do the values again haha. He looked at me like I was totally crazy and asked who was paying for these trips.:rotfl2:

Well, we're planning on going in Sept, upgrading our tickets to APs, which can be done at any Guest Relations Window at any of the theme parks, and again in Jan for a week, and in May for a week (Half Marathon!)

Not having to buy tickets and not being married to the meal plan (with the exception of free dining) it will save us a lot of money.

Well, we're planning on going in Sept, upgrading our tickets to APs, which can be done at any Guest Relations Window at any of the theme parks, and again in Jan for a week, and in May for a week (Half Marathon!)

Not having to buy tickets and not being married to the meal plan (with the exception of free dining) it will save us a lot of money.

How much extra would you have to pay? Also, if you wanted the meal plan could you add it on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter