Jan 2009 Code Watch

Problem: I have a disney Visa but haven't used it since our last trip. I looked for it today...couldn't find it anywhere. Called Chase and they are express mailing a new one which I'll probably have by Wed.

Question: if the Visa code comes out tomorrow, do I have to have my Disney Visa in hand? Or can I book/hold the room and then give my Visa card number once it arrives later this week? I don't want to miss out on a good discount!!

P.S. (I don't have the card number written down anywhere and no old bills from which to pull the number; for security reasons, Chase can't give me the card number over the phone).

I just called today and had my current reservation changed to the new AP discount for January. I just returned home from WDW and was surprised to see that there was an AP discount for my stay during MLK weekend. However, it was only offered at the moderates. I had a reservation at Pop for $92 a night and happily moved to PO/FQ for $99 a night. I was able to keep my delux dining too. There were no discounts available for any of the value resorts. I had a great CM and all went well. We only have the room because we are arriving one night earlier for our DVC stay. It was great to get a moderate for the same price as Pop -- BTW, Pop was higher because it was a Saturday night stay during a holiday weekend. PO/FQ would've been only $89 a night for a Sun/Thur stay, just a little higher for a weekend.

I'm sorry, i'm kind of a newbie to these codes. I know you can get them if you have an AP or are a Florida resident but i'm neither. I have AAA but is there some other code we're talking about? One that will come out in January? That would be great because i'm thinking about doing a split stay at POP and the Poly and any discounts would really help me out! Thanks

I'm sorry, i'm kind of a newbie to these codes. I know you can get them if you have an AP or are a Florida resident but i'm neither. I have AAA but is there some other code we're talking about? One that will come out in January? That would be great because i'm thinking about doing a split stay at POP and the Poly and any discounts would really help me out! Thanks

Yes, sometimes Disney comes out with general public (GP) discounts for either room only, maybe free dining, maybe ticket upgrades. Just depends how badly they need to fill the rooms. I myself am hoping for free dining or at least 40% room only. Either would be great!!! From what I understand, your AAA travel agent can apply codes to your ressie if it's better than the deal you have now.

Yes, sometimes Disney comes out with general public (GP) discounts for either room only, maybe free dining, maybe ticket upgrades. Just depends how badly they need to fill the rooms. I myself am hoping for free dining or at least 40% room only. Either would be great!!! From what I understand, your AAA travel agent can apply codes to your ressie if it's better than the deal you have now.

Well I have my trip planned out on paper, i'm just waiting till next week so I can double check some dates and make sure that I can go. I have to book the trip and then have the AAA discount applied but if I can get a better rate then maybe I should wait? :confused3

Well, I have been waiting right along....checking hourly.....::surfweb:
I would LOVE to go ahead and plan on paper but I have no idea what the code might be.....does anybody know what it was last year for Disney VISA?
And how long was it good for? We might switch to March......

Thanks!

Well, I have been waiting right along....checking hourly.....::surfweb:
I would LOVE to go ahead and plan on paper but I have no idea what the code might be.....does anybody know what it was last year for Disney VISA?
And how long was it good for? We might switch to March......

Thanks!

Last Jan/Feb Visa Code was for a ticket upgrade - so it was the same price +
free Disney Quest and Water Parks.

I'm pretty sure I got a 15% discount on my moderate reservation plus the ticket upgrades.

EDIT: That was the General discount, not with the Visa.

I'm pretty sure I got a 15% discount on my moderate reservation plus the ticket upgrades.

EDIT: That was the General discount, not with the Visa.

Yep, I got the ticket upgrade and 15% discount at WL last January. General public discount. Honestly, I believe that was a pretty generous offering for this time of year. Between the marathon, MLK, Super Bowl, Mardi Gras then President's Day, it is not as crowd-free as people think.

I talked to 6 different CRO CMs today and none of them knew about a discount, either Visa or GP coming tomorrow. Not sure how much warning they get - if mbanks is reading maybe he can chime in on that.

ETA more info.

Yep, I got the ticket upgrade and 15% discount at WL last January. General public discount. Honestly, I believe that was a pretty generous offering for this time of year. Between the marathon, MLK, Super Bowl, Mardi Gras then President's Day, it is not as crowd-free as people think.

I talked to 6 different CRO CMs today and none of them knew about a discount, either Visa or GP coming tomorrow. Not sure how much warning they get - if mbanks is reading maybe he can chime in on that.

ETA more info.

Hmm..that's interesting because on Disney's own website, not to mention resort rates, it shows that Jan and parts of Feb are one of two of their least busiest times.

Just to add, I have been one of the early risers this past week to check on codes. Between us code seekers we probably have called CRO 80 times (they think we are nuts) the consensus we tend to get from the CM is that they don't have a clue about when codes are coming out AND that we usually know it before they do. We get the codes and they key them in and THEN they see there are discount codes to be had.

A few at CRO have said they haven't seen discounts in a long time like they are seeing now (Canadians getting 40% right now off room pins, etc) so I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

See ya'll early in the AM!

My significant other called us "code hoes", he thinks I'm crazy but he will be really smiling when I save him some $! Well, money that we can spend somewhere else at Disney..:)

Dates at the end are when they were announced (per mousesavers)

1/1/08-2/13/08 Annual Passholder room-only rates 10/31/07, exp 2/13/08
1/1/08-3/15/08 package deal (discount + free ticket upgrades) for Canadian residents 10/18/07, exp 12/15/07
1/1/08-3/15/08 package deal (discount + free ticket upgrades) for Disney Rewards® Visa® Cardholders 10/29/07, exp 12/15/07
1/1/08-3/15/08 package deal (discount + free ticket upgrades) for general public 11/1/07, exp 12/15/07
1/6/08-2/2/08 "Bounceback" room-only offer only for guests staying at WDW Resorts and willing to prebook their next vacation for selected dates in 2008 (at selected resorts only, and dates available vary by resort) approximately 10/23/07
1/6/08-2/2/08 package discount for Disney Rewards® Visa® Cardholders for OKW and SSR only 11/30/07, exp 12/29/07
1/6/08-2/2/08 room-only discount for Disney Rewards® Visa® Cardholders for OKW and SSR only 11/30/07, exp 12/29/07
2/14/08-3/6/08 Annual Passholder room-only rates 1/3/08, exp 3/6/08

Jan and Feb got some really good discounts I think.

Hmm..that's interesting because on Disney's own website, not to mention resort rates, it shows that Jan and parts of Feb are one of two of their least busiest times.

It is definitely not crowded!! I have been for the past few years in January and up until Presidents weekend the crowds are non-existent. It is awesome for the parks to be that empty!

Unfortunately, Disney can be disingenuous in their marketing of "wonderful weeks" or whatever it's called so I'd take that with a grain of salt. "Value" season for the deluxe resorts started on July 20 this year but, in years past, has started shortly after July 4. The average crowd level for July and early August, according to touringplans.com is 9. Early December is Value season AND listed as one of the best weeks to go ... tell that to one of the people trying to get room reservations or ADRs then, competing with those coming for the parade filming, Mousefest, Pop Warner, etc. I've been there then, twice actually, and, though we like the holiday atmosphere, it was by far the most crowded we've ever seen it. The fact is: WDW is never NOT crowded, it's a matter of degrees and Disney has been very successful in directing people to go when they suggest.

And, I don't see how the mousesavers historical info, which I am well aware of, disagrees with anything I, or anyone else, has said. :confused3 I said exactly that it was a "pretty generous offer" in my previous post so you just reinforced my point - thanks! :-) I merely think that to get a BETTER offer than last year's might be unrealistic, especially with so many people already booked but expecting codes (if occupancy looks high, Disney has no incentive to offer them). Plus, I am pretty sure the 2008 AP rate % percentage was comparable to 2009's already-announced one.

Oh, and I forgot the cheerleading championship and Brazilian tour groups when mentioning events during that time frame - we ran into them in droves last two times we were at WDW in late January. I will have to try to figure out when the cheerleading dates are. Their competition is at DHS and can impact that park, particularly. It'll be interesting to see if the economic meltdown will impact the Brazilians.

None of this keeps me from coming, of course!

Finally, I hope tomorrow is the day for y'all waiting. I hope my guess is wrong. :-)

I'd like to know the dates for the cheerleaders too

Mousesavers says:

Some less-known events that may affect crowds, park hours and/or traffic at Walt Disney World:

*Cheerleeding/Twirl/Dance Competitions - Various dates each year, especially January-March. These usually don't have a lot of impact on the in-park crowds. The issue is that the Value resorts (All-Stars and Pop Century) play host to hordes of girls who can be extremely loud -- so you may want to avoid those resorts during competitions. Some events take place at Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular in Disney's Hollywood Studios, so that attraction might be closed. Some of the competitions and events include UCA/UDA Thanksgiving Day Parade (November 25-28, 2008), College Cheerleading & Dance Team National Championships (January 16-18, 2009), National Dance Team Championship (January 30-February 1, 2009), National High School Cheerleading Championship (February 7-8, 2009), Twirlmania (February 13-16, 2009), Contest of Champions Nationals (February 28-March 1 and March 6-8, 2009), National All Star Cheerleading Championship (March 14-15, 2009), All Star Cheerleading and Dance Worlds (last one was April 24-26, 2009).

*Mardi Gras Week. February or March (varies annually - 2009 date: February 24). Many New Orleans schools have all or part of this week off, so families leave town the weekend before the holiday and head to Disney World in droves.

http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwfaq.html

Mardi Gras is later this year!

Edited to bold the January/February dates.

I checked and there is the

College Cheerleading and Dance National Championship
January 16-18, 2009

This was there last year around the same time as well. ANY holiday weekend at Disney will be more crowded than the non holiday weekends in any given month. But a bad Presidents Day weekend beats a summer weekday no matter how you slice it!

I think the discounts should be good. Disney offered free dining over Christmas this year. That is pretty unbelievable to me so I don't think we should discount the fact that the economy is a factor this year. They might also be looking to the election and will wait until after to put out any codes. I know a lot of people who will base their upcoming plans on who wins the election.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter