JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy
Thank you again for the info. I think that checking out/in before we go would be best. We would not have to worry about getting back at any set time. It would be a nice surprise to get an upgrade.
Mary

Mary,
My first concierge visit to AKL was a mix of reservations due to the fact I couldn't get the whole thing on the concierge level. Because I didn't want to move three times, I specifically asked to be put in a regular savannah room and keep my room for the entire reservation, just gaining concierge priviledges on those days where I had them reserved. I had one of my favorite rooms on that trip and with just two of us in the room we didn't miss the extra floor space. We did have to check in and check out between all our reservations *make sure to have ALL room keys with you for this*, but we never had to move. It might be an option for you!

You're going to love the sunrise safari! We've done it twice and I'd like to plan for another safari!

Have a wild time!
Debbie

Kimmar and plutospup, thanks for the info on the mugs. I think I will get the skinny one and let the kids choose.

Mary, we split our stay between AKL CL and OKW because of the safari also. My sister's kids really wanted to go and since this is a special treat, we are doing what they want. We are checking out early also so we can enjoy the day in the parks before transferring to OKW.

A question, do we call bell services in the early am to transfer our luggage or do we make arrangements the night before?

eagle0112 said:
Thank you for the info Kathy. I'm transfering to a regular savannah view room so I will have to move. Do you recommend I check out before the safari and leave the luggage with them to transfer to the new room?
I was asking about the lounge because I am not sure of our arrival time the day before and have been reading about some of the food and drink offerings in the lounge. I really would like to try the Chai tea in the afternoon so that should work.
Thank you again
Mary (aka eagle0112)

When we were visiting AKL, we too had to change our room from concierge to "non"concierge. And, it was on the day of the SS. We had to be at the concierge lounge between 6:30 and 7AM - the CM took our PH passes to 'get rid of' one day (you can't be a part of the SS without a valid park pass). At 7AM we were whisked downstairs to the 'overlook alcove', located at the far left of the lobby. We were put into 2 groups - each group getting its own guide, and then we went outside to get one of the 2 WDW buses, which took us directly to AK (via the 'back way' - BTW, this is very cool! :thumbsup2 ). After the African buffet breakfast at Tusker House (which was AWESOME!) we met up with friends of ours. It was at this point I returned alone to AKL to take care of the 'moving arrangements', which didn't take more than 40 minutes. I then caught up with my family and friends at Dinorama.....

Another option you may want to consider is checking out the night before - they can assign you your new room. After that is finished, you can go to your old room, call bell services to have your belongings picked up and transferred to the new room....then when you return from whatever park you have visited for the day, go to the front desk and your keys will be ready...

Debbie
Thank you for the info.

LAWal23
I'm not sure. I was going to make arrangements at the concierge desk. Hope this is right.

Mary

Ok, I have a big favor...I prostrate myself at thefeet of keepers of the AKL wisdom...(I've been off the boards for about week now due to my end of school year mommy volunteer duties (you know when you volunteer for those things early in the year because you want to be helpful and then wind up with 3 events in 3 days :guilty: :badpc:)

Now I promise I have read this entire thread like the good AKL groupie that I am, including the last several pages but some of the info isn't sinking in :sad2: .

I would love to go on the Sunrise Safari but we are currently booked into a standard poolview room. I know you have to be in a concierge room to take advantage of the safari. Is there a consensus on whether moving to a concierge room for a couple of days would be worth it? (The money, yes but also the moving logistics? How amazing is the safari? Is the main difference in concierge the extra food?) If we did this-does it matter what end we do it, end or beginning of trip-I mean will we be crying when we move?)

Ok, once again I am truly sorry if these questions have been answered but please take pity on a poor, memory and sleep deficient me who's brain isn't functioning normally :confused3

Patricia

Could someone please send over a plate of zebra domes and maybe some Kenyan coffee? :blush:

Let me clarify that - call bell services the evening BEFORE to advise them that you will be moving to another room on the NEXT day (unless, of course, when you 'check out' the night before, they advise your that you will be STAYING in the same room, and wouldn't THAT be nice..... :woohoo: )

I may head back to AKL then check us in at OKW and catch up with the rest as I am not sure we will all be up and functioning that early. My sister wants to go to MK after SS breakfast as we have always found it to be fairly uncrowded on a Sun morn no matter what time of year. However niece and nephew have asked for more time in AK (mine and sis's least fav park) and niece told me last night that she would like to spend more time in the pool and resort because we have been to the parks before, leave to an 8 year old to put things in perspective!

A Happy and Safe Memeorial Day to all especially those whose loved one died fighting for our freedom and those currently in the armed forces or have been and their families!

Some really AMAZING pix from d-hlaw ~

dsc036072fz.jpg

dsc036094zu.jpg

dsc035828bc.jpg

These were taken from the VP Suite....WELL DONE, d-hlaw! :thumbsup2
(Thanks again!)

I hope everyone had a great weekend. We had gorgeous (well hot and humid) weather this weekend and the rains are just about on the doorstep here. So here I am catching up.

AKL Goofy Your plans look amazing! I see you have Magical Express listed as your return way to the airport...not sure if you are taking it in or not, but you seem to be going all out on everything else so why not book a towncar or limo for your airport transfers? The only other thing I can think of is have you looked at joining Tour Guide Mike (sponsor here on the dis) at all? Your days are really set in stone, but I have used him in the past for park touring advice and it works really well. It does require some work on your part (ie he doesn't spit out an itinerary for you...you make your own), but if you had the time it might be worthwhile with the short amount of time you are there to maxamize touring capability. He also offers a VIP service through Michael's VIP which is a lot more money and they do all of the planning for you and take you around the parks.
DiznEeyore Gald you were able to contact IPO and find out what you needed.
wendypooh Did you ever talk to Private Dining? Are you thinking about doing a dinner? I can't decide what to do if I want to do a dinner or sometype of dessert(s) for us to enjoy. BTW did you know we are in Single digits(lol only 96 more day for me!)?
Kimberly815 Great pics...they are really helping me pass the time until my trip.
athenna :wave2: Welcome to the thread don't be shy we love new faces.
tinknme What a wonderul suprise for the boys to have a friend along. You guys will have a blast seeing WDW through the eyes of a first timer.
123SA Of the resorts I have stayed at AKL has the best of the best transportation. Some people think it is so far away from everything and not centerally located...well I don't think they have ever stayed at AKL. A big bonus is that AKL does not share busses like the other deluxe resorts do.
LAWalz23 I have seen the fat and the skinny ones at AKL
kimmar those are great pics and I will be sure to check out the thread on the CB.

Okay, just got back on saturday. WOW! I am in love with AKL! We had a savannah view on the 2nd floor and it was awesome. Woke up every day to 4 giraffes, lots of zebras, bongos, wildebeasts, and bunnies. Absolutely beautiful!

I'm leaving again after tomorrow and will be out of the country for almost 3 weeks but I wanted to say how amazing the place was!!

Syrreal said:
Okay, just got back on saturday. WOW! I am in love with AKL! We had a savannah view on the 2nd floor and it was awesome. Woke up every day to 4 giraffes, lots of zebras, bongos, wildebeasts, and bunnies. Absolutely beautiful!

I'm leaving again after tomorrow and will be out of the country for almost 3 weeks but I wanted to say how amazing the place was!!

Glad you had a great trip :thumbsup2

Hello,

We are going to stay at AKL Dec. 29, 30, 31st, Savannah View. I would like to surprise the family with a Sunrise Safari on the 31st so we need to be concierge. My TA suggested doing one night in Concierge but when she checked into it, they said we would need to check out and check back in. (which I have read about here and think is a bit of a hassle)

My question is... would it be worth it for us to stay Concierge (800.00 difference) for the 3 nights so that we could do the Sunrise Safari? Does AKL do anything special on New Years Eve that if staying in Concierge we would benefit from?

Is there anything special happening at the hotel, even if you are not concierge?

LAWalz23 said:
Great thread you started on the Community board, Kimmar!

...thanks, and I just found out that we should honor one of 'our own WB' members, luvfigment..... :thumbsup2

scoutsmom99 said:
The only other thing I can think of is have you looked at joining Tour Guide Mike (sponsor here on the dis) at all? Your days are really set in stone, but I have used him in the past for park touring advice and it works really well. It does require some work on your part (ie he doesn't spit out an itinerary for you...you make your own).
Does anybody have any short cuts, or tips, I joined TourGuide Mike's site a couple of months ago, and still haven't quite figured it all out. We are going to be there at a really busy time, so all the help I can get is appreciated. I have so far planned which days we are going where.....(I think...unless I change it......again) although I have pretty much followed Mike's advice on that, now I am trying to figure out how to tour each park...and that is where I hit stumbling blocks...we leave in less than four weeks! Yikes...
Thanks for any tips on that site.

stephwynn said:
Does anybody have any short cuts, or tips, I joined TourGuide Mike's site a couple of months ago, and still haven't quite figured it all out. We are going to be there at a really busy time, so all the help I can get is appreciated. I have so far planned which days we are going where.....(I think...unless I change it......again) although I have pretty much followed Mike's advice on that, now I am trying to figure out how to tour each park...and that is where I hit stumbling blocks...we leave in less than four weeks! Yikes...
Thanks for any tips on that site.

sent you a pm :goodvibes

kimmar067 said:
...thanks, and I just found out that we should honor one of 'our own WB' members, luvfigment..... :thumbsup2

Luvfigment has been away this past weekend. She was in a wedding for her best childhood friend. BTW since we were together we talked AKL!! Saturday is coming. :Pinkbounc

LOL I am using this time to bump us back up to the first page. :banana:

Some great new pix on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter