JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let everyone know a we dont do split stays. We dont wanna have to change resorts at all during our trip. We wanna check into 1 resort and checkout 1 resort. Thanks for the idea though. We just dont want the burden having to change resorts.

Okay, then if you don't want to split stays I would have to say take the moderate resort and have the extra $$ to enjoy your trip more. As much as I love AKL - and I REALLY love AKL :) it's fun to eat where you like, shop where you like and not worry about the $$.

You can always come over for a meal & to see the resort & animals.

Concierge was really nice, especially the preplanning department. As many others have consistantly noted on these boards, Don and Juanita are great, and will help you with everything you need and then some. I always felt as though I were their only guest when we were planning this trip, even though I know there were many many more. AKL's IPO made the Grand Floridian's IPO look like a joke.

The lounge itself was nice. It was really neat to get to look out over the lobby. There was something out all day, including some really delicious juice. The CMs in the lounge were very friendly and helpful as well.

Hope your daughter is doing well. It certaintly sounds like your family could use a fabulous vacation.

This sounds wonderful, I keep changing my mind about this short trip during the summer. When we went this past Nov. we found out 2 days before we left that she couldn't do the "big rides" after her dr. assured us she could at 6 months post surgery. She has watched all of the disney stuff on the travel channel and saw one that included suites and has been obsessed ever since. So, I am now considering 3 nights POR, 3 nights AKL suite. This will be our 1st time switching resorts.:confused:

If you can only get the standard view at AKL, then just go to CSR. Everyone says that its not worth it at AKL if your not looking out at the savannah.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree.

There are many areas from which to view the animals, and there are different animals on each savannah. Why limit yourself to one view? Sure, savannah rooms are nice, since you can watch the animals from the comfort of your own room, but check out the animals on the other savannahs, too. Also, there are so many things to do at AKL, don't limit yourself to "just the animals"! Of course the animals are the main draw, but the culture, activities, and African CM's make AKL a real experience!

So, I am now considering 3 nights POR, 3 nights AKL suite. This will be our 1st time switching resorts.:confused:

Switching resorts is not difficult, you just ask them to send your luggage to the next resort and off you go to the parks. Later (after 3pm) check in at the new resort and you are all set.

Or you can just take your own luggage to the new hotel with you via a quick cab ride in the morning (20.00) check in and leave your bags until your room is ready.

When I do a split stay I pack 2 cases, the first case has clothes for the first stay. I don't even open the second case. Then I throw my worn clothes in the first case, switch hotels and open the second case with all fresh clothes. I don't even open the first case again until we get home

About the suites at AKL, they are at the ends of the trails and/or branches of the trails, they are a pretty far walk from the lobby - unless you are talking about the Royal Asante & Royal Kuba suites - they are both the closest to the lobby and are spectacular. :goodvibes

I'm pretty sure staying in a suite gives you automatic concierge access, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree.

There are many areas from which to view the animals, and there are different animals on each savannah. Why limit yourself to one view? Sure, savannah rooms are nice, since you can watch the animals from the comfort of your own room, but check out the animals on the other savannahs, too. Also, there are so many things to do at AKL, don't limit yourself to "just the animals"! Of course the animals are the main draw, but the culture, activities, and African CM's make AKL a real experience!

ITA! You do not need a "room with a view" to have an awesome stay at AKL! :thumbsup2

i have a question for all ya'll. i got home from a great trip last week at akl. i need the address to send a thank you to cleo at the conceirge desk. also i found something i liked at the gift shop and did not get it when i was there(did not buy it). how do i go about getting it? do i call the gift shop?

To order merchandise from WDW:

Call: 407-363-6200
Email: wdw.mail.order@disneyworld.com

Let them know that the item you want is at the Zawadi Marketplace.

Kathy

Hi there,

We just returned from AKL. Last night was our first night home. I would not stay at AKL if I were you, especially if it makes a difference in dollars. We were at WDW from Dec. 23 and left on Jan.1st. We spent the first half at All Star Sports Resort and the last half at AKL in Concierge. The AKL was beautiful and we enjoyed the view and we did the Sunrise Safari, so we went all out. I have read so many wonderful things on this board about AKL that it was a "must" for us. I have to say though, that I wouldn't stay there again. For the dollar value I felt that it wasn't worth it. The part that is hard for me, is I really felt like we wasted our money and it was alot of money but I wouldn't have known if I hadn't done it for myself and I would have probably left "wishing" we had stayed there.

We had a really great vacation and my family had a very nice time but if you can have more fun with your money in other ways, then do that.

When I do a split stay I pack 2 cases, the first case has clothes for the first stay. I don't even open the second case. Then I throw my worn clothes in the first case, switch hotels and open the second case with all fresh clothes. I don't even open the first case again until we get home

About the suites at AKL, they are at the ends of the trails and/or branches of the trails, they are a pretty far walk from the lobby - unless you are talking about the Royal Asante & Royal Kuba suites - they are both the closest to the lobby and are spectacular. :goodvibes

I'm pretty sure staying in a suite gives you automatic concierge access, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Cass, I don't know about all of the suites, but the one that we stayed in (5285) was about 1/2 way down the left side of the "horseshoe" (as seen from the front of the building), on the far left side of that little piece that juts out, overlooking the sunset savannah. If you have one of those maps of the lodge they hand out to you, the room number is actually on there. It wasn't TOO bad a walk to get to the lobby and/or concierge lounge, I guess, looking at things relatively. We could have been MUCH farther out, as I tried to point out to my grumpy BF everytime we made the hike back.

When we did our split stay this past Dec, I did the same thing you described with our luggage and it worked out really well. Switching resorts was really easy!

Have a great day!

Amy

...."borrowed" from WAHMto5:

WDWak.JPG

...thanks WAHMto 5 :thumbsup2 !!

Just to let everyone know a we dont do split stays. We dont wanna have to change resorts at all during our trip. We wanna check into 1 resort and checkout 1 resort. Thanks for the idea though. We just dont want the burden having to change resorts.

...may I ask why you don't do split stays?? Have you done so in the past and have had a bad experience?? I have done so already a few times, and it isn't as bad as it sounds.....especially, since:

1) checkout is 'automatic' [express] if there are no discrepancies in your bill that they slip under your door, so you don't actually have to 'check out', and

2) CSR is only a few moments 'down the road apiece' from AKL....

Hi Gang

We've stayed at the Contemporary, Swan and the Dolphin. We're used to seeing the fireworks from Epcot or MK every night. Can you see any nightly fireworks from AKL?

Thanks
Andy

We dont wanna do a split stay because its kinda stupid to go from one resort to another. Some people may like the idea of doing a split stay, but others like myself and my DH dont wanna have to unpack then repack then unpack and then repack again. And also checkout is only automatic if you file a credit card in time of checkin. Another thing I dont get is why some think that doing a split stay is like having 2 vacations in 1. That doesnt make any sense. Its not like your going from WDW to Universal. All you're doing is moving from one resort to another. Why change resorts when you can just spend the full length time to stay at one so you dont have all the hassle. Not to mention the ticket porition would get screwed up since the ticket and room key are on the same thing. Cant use the same room key for both resorts. And buying 2 park hopper passes 5 days each would cost more then just doing 1 park hopper for 10 days. Everyone can tell me a zillion times that doing a split stay is awesome, I really dont see a point in it. Yes, it does matter where we stay but it doesnt matter as much as if it came to choosing a resort or not go at all. If it came down to it and we have to change to CSR for the full length of time fine. Next time we will save up longer so we can stay at the AKL.

...may I ask why you don't do split stays?? Have you done so in the past and have had a bad experience?? I have done so already a few times, and it isn't as bad as it sounds.....especially, since:

1) checkout is 'automatic' [express] if there are no discrepancies in your bill that they slip under your door, so you don't actually have to 'check out', and

2) CSR is only a few moments 'down the road apiece' from AKL....

I have never done a split stay but the idea has crossed my mind so I have a question. If you do a split stay do have to buy two sets of passes as someone already mentioned? So if I go for 8 days and split it ip 4 days and 4 days can I buy an 8 day pass? TIA

some think that doing a split stay is like having 2 vacations in 1. That doesnt make any sense.

Because staying at a different resort is a whole different experience (ie) I would stay at the moderate and do all my parks etc.. and then switch to the deluxe for the last few nights and take it easy spending more time at the resort.

Inyour case you are thinking of going all moderate to have more spending $$, the split stay is really a way to save $$ and still have the experience of the deluxe resort.

I have done it a few times and honestly, I'm not a patient person and wouldn't do it if it was a pain - it was really no trouble at all for me.

We did a split stay this Dec. I was worried at first because we are the type of people who totally unpack everything and move in! However, we switched resorts after 2 nights (and then 5 more nights at the 2nd loc.) so we were able to do the 2 separate suitcase thing, as suggested above.
It was like getting to go on a whole other vacation, because for us the resort feel really impacts our Disney experience. And, it wasn't a big hassle at all. However, we had a rental car and we have APs, so we were easily able to move and store our luggage, and we didn't have to worry about the complications of switching park tickets or dining plan days.
I can see how, if you wanted DDP for the whole trip, a split stay could get complicated. (Otherwise, you would book a package for the first part--getting as many tix days as you need--and book room only for the 2nd part.)
I was unsure at first, but it turned out that we really enjoyed the split stay and it made the whole vacation feel longer. :) I wouldn't have known if I didn't try.
But, to each his own. ;)

Well, with us, we spend 99% of our time at the parks. The only time we actually spend time at the resort is when we first get there, we check in and eat dinner and then go to epcot to see IllumiNations and then go to bed. We usually eat all our breakfasts at the resort we are staying at but this time we are gonna eat at the resort a couple times and the rest either at the parks or other resorts for character breakfasts. Outside that we use the resort to sleep and thats about all. We will explore the resort grounds when we first get there as well, since we usually have time to kill between getting there and dinner. Thats why split stays arent important to us like it is to others. We are never at the resort to really fully enjoy it because we really dont care what is at the resorts. We care about whats at the parks. We dont spend $5000 on each disney trip just to sit around the resort for a day or 2 when we could be out at the parks and having fun. If others do, thats fine. Thats up to them.

Because staying at a different resort is a whole different experience (ie) I would stay at the moderate and do all my parks etc.. and then switch to the deluxe for the last few nights and take it easy spending more time at the resort.

Inyour case you are thinking of going all moderate to have more spending $$, the split stay is really a way to save $$ and still have the experience of the deluxe resort.

I have done it a few times and honestly, I'm not a patient person and wouldn't do it if it was a pain - it was really no trouble at all for me.

We usually eat all our breakfasts at the resort we are staying at but this time we are gonna eat at the resort a couple times and the rest either at the parks or other resorts for character breakfasts.

As far as the CS breakfast options go, I would say that both AKL and CSR both have really great food options (The Mara and the Pepper Market). However, the TS options at AKL are way better (Jiko and Boma are both worth eating at!)

But, if you are mostly interested in going to the parks, I would stick with CSR. We felt like we were much more "in Disney" there. AKL defintiely has that "world away" feeling.

Based on what you've written, you may be better off just staying at CSR the whole time. Save the extra $ and use it to go have a meal at Boma and/or Jiko at AKL.

We did a split stay this Dec. I was worried at first because we are the type of people who totally unpack everything and move in! However, we switched resorts after 2 nights (and then 5 more nights at the 2nd loc.) so we were able to do the 2 separate suitcase thing, as suggested above.
It was like getting to go on a whole other vacation, because for us the resort feel really impacts our Disney experience. And, it wasn't a big hassle at all. However, we had a rental car and we have APs, so we were easily able to move and store our luggage, and we didn't have to worry about the complications of switching park tickets or dining plan days.
I can see how, if you wanted DDP for the whole trip, a split stay could get complicated. (Otherwise, you would book a package for the first part--getting as many tix days as you need--and book room only for the 2nd part.)
I was unsure at first, but it turned out that we really enjoyed the split stay and it made the whole vacation feel longer. :) I wouldn't have known if I didn't try.
But, to each his own. ;)

...ITA! Get the park passes for your length-of-stay - no need to worry about getting new passes with new room keys. Also, you can have your luggage sent over to AKL without having to actually BE there, and still get a whole day in at a park....just check in later in the day. As for the 'experience' of feeling like you are on a 'double-vaca', it especially holds true when you are doing a split stay in a value/dlx or mod/dlx. Since the WDW resorts all have a special uniqueness of its own, it really DOES almost feel like you are going on 2 separate vacations! When we did split stays, I packed accordingly, putting the 1st days' accessories/clothes in one luggage and the 2nd part into another. This served 2 purposes:

1) we didn't go 'rummaging' into the '2nd-part-of-the-trip' luggage, and
2) on a 'non-park' day, where we were relaxing at the resort, I was able to wash the dirty laundry from the earlier suitcases, not mixing them in with the cleaner clothes

As I stated before, you must ultimately do what is right for YOU and your family. I just wanted to emphasize that it is not as bad as some folks think ('specially those who have NEVER done it before!). Regarding the $$ sitch, one of the reasons we DID opt to do a split stay was because of my DSis-i-L. She couldn't afford to stay at WLone of the Deluxes, during our entire trip because it was too costly for her, so I suggested staying at CSR during the first half of the vaca, followed by WL for the last...it worked out really well - so well, that we did it a 2nd time....

Well, with us, we spend 99% of our time at the parks. The only time we actually spend time at the resort is when we first get there, we check in and eat dinner and then go to epcot to see IllumiNations and then go to bed. We usually eat all our breakfasts at the resort we are staying at but this time we are gonna eat at the resort a couple times and the rest either at the parks or other resorts for character breakfasts. Outside that we use the resort to sleep and thats about all. We will explore the resort grounds when we first get there as well, since we usually have time to kill between getting there and dinner. Thats why split stays arent important to us like it is to others. We are never at the resort to really fully enjoy it because we really dont care what is at the resorts. We care about whats at the parks. We dont spend $5000 on each disney trip just to sit around the resort for a day or 2 when we could be out at the parks and having fun. If others do, thats fine. Thats up to them.

...I'm curious - have you ever stayed at a Deluxe before?? I ask because you sound like I did, just thinking of the room as 'a place to rest my head' before I'm out the door at break speed running commando-style to a park - that is, BEFORE I ever stayed at a Dlx, too! Believe me, one of the wonderful things about a deluxe IS spending a whole day exploring and enjoying everything that a deluxe has to offer. It sounds like you really want the most for your money - why don't you try Pop C instead?? Honestly, for the $$, I would personally like to stay at a VALUE, rather that a Mod, if budget is an issue....plus, although I absolutely LOVE the Pepper Market, the food court at Pop is 'killer'.....:thumbsup2 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter