JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1hockeymom -- small world -- we are not far at all. We are on the north end about 1/2 mile S of Clarkston. Holly is a great town -- interesting about the Colonel from the Adventurer's Club!

Thanks again for the info!

Hi Everyone!!!! Hope Everyone had a good weekend!! Looks like I missed a lot.......... I've been getting DS ready to head to FIRST Grade!!!! Whoo Hoo!!! We got our Mousekeeping Envelopes done...... I'll post a pic later, but that was a lot of fun!!! I think besides actually packing, we are pretty much set!!! NOW ~~ if I can only "kick start" that darn ticker........ it's soooooo slow!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused3

Scoutsmom ~~ Lisa, where are you girl???? OH, I know, out shopping for more stuff for the trip............. :rolleyes1 LOL -- Look at our tickers!!!! :woohoo:

Tinknme ~~ Hey Janet.......... I know, I'm not so much into eating the cereal for breakfast AND lunch.......... but, I'm trying!!!!

PracPerfPatricia said:
Wendy-I beginning to think the tag fair needs a little strong arming as all of our kind pleading and bagging isn't going anywhere...

LOL ~ I know!!!! I guess I really was "bad" -- I can't help it though, it's the Tink in me........ :blush:

SeaSpray said:
Hello to all of you AKL lovers!!! :sunny:

I've just booked our second visit to AKL! We'll be staying there following a Disney cruise, next February.
A few months ago we stayed in a pool view room and LOVED the location and the lodge itself. I can't wait to go back!! :love:

Hey Terry!!! I booked a couple weeks ago for Feb. too!!!!! I knew you'd be "back" after your last stay!!!! :thumbsup2

kimmar067 said:
...I'm ba-a-a-ck from upstate NY!! [just in time to get ready fer my AKL vaca.... :woohoo: ]
:woohoo: :woohoo: 4 more days!!!!! COOL!!! How was your trip??? Didya have a good weekend???!!!

kimmar067 said:
...(I suffer from the rare disease Scalaphobia.. :teeth: !)

UHHHHHH ~ that's not such a "rare" disease!!!! LOL :rotfl2: Seems I have it too???? :confused3

:woohoo: :woohoo: :cool1: :cheer2: ONLY 24 more days!!!!!!

I called AKL this morning to ask them about their bus transportation to and from the hotel to the parks for early morning char breakfasts, and to the p/p party and what time we would need to be at the bus in order to make it. She told me 45mins-1 hour prior to the bus going. I was a bit shocked as I have heard it being a lot less. She also said if we go when park opens it can take up to an hour and a half wait then a hour transporation. I was like oh goodness this might be a problem cause I was under the assumption 30 mins max to get to the parks and usually the busses were there or there shortly after you get outside. Even Disney Travel CM were a bit shocked about what the lady at AKL told me. I am now very stressed as to how to handle the things we need to get to on time. She said we could make the char breakfast without much problem. But our wcc breakfast on sunday at 8:10 we would not have transportation to magic kingdom at that time, and the fact we are hvaing dinner early our arrival day in order to have time to get ready for the party our arrival night it owuld give us a max of 30 mins to get ready and be back at the bus stop that's after dinner if we can get back to our room by 6. We really don't want to rent a car cause we are not going to be doing other theme parks like Universal or Seaworld just disney. I just want our Honeymoon to be magical and fun and our first tiem at Disney to be a fun time, not stressed cause the lady is telling me we have to be there so far in advance before the bus. I am highly considering changing to WL, but the Disney travel agent said it would onoly shave 5-10 mins off our travel time. I am so stressed about this could use opinions from dedicated AKL vets on what the ladt at the lodge told me. I really rather not have to call a cab every day that is going to eventually rack up what a rental car may have cost, and WL package will increase in price by 400-500 dollars not an issue if it would be better with travel and less stress. I just saw no need for a rental car if we are just going to keep it parked since we thought the AKL busses were reliable pretty fast and would get you there on time. Help please :bride: :confused3

Lostgirlz said:
I called AKL this morning to ask them about their bus transportation to and from the hotel to the parks for early morning char breakfasts, and to the p/p party and what time we would need to be at the bus in order to make it. She told me 45mins-1 hour prior to the bus going. I was a bit shocked as I have heard it being a lot less. She also said if we go when park opens it can take up to an hour and a half wait then a hour transporation. I was like oh goodness this might be a problem cause I was under the assumption 30 mins max to get to the parks and usually the busses were there or there shortly after you get outside. Even Disney Travel CM were a bit shocked about what the lady at AKL told me. I am now very stressed as to how to handle the things we need to get to on time. She said we could make the char breakfast without much problem. But our wcc breakfast on sunday at 8:10 we would not have transportation to magic kingdom at that time, and the fact we are hvaing dinner early our arrival day in order to have time to get ready for the party our arrival night it owuld give us a max of 30 mins to get ready and be back at the bus stop that's after dinner if we can get back to our room by 6. We really don't want to rent a car cause we are not going to be doing other theme parks like Universal or Seaworld just disney. I just want our Honeymoon to be magical and fun and our first tiem at Disney to be a fun time, not stressed cause the lady is telling me we have to be there so far in advance before the bus. I am highly considering changing to WL, but the Disney travel agent said it would onoly shave 5-10 mins off our travel time. I am so stressed about this could use opinions from dedicated AKL vets on what the ladt at the lodge told me. I really rather not have to call a cab every day that is going to eventually rack up what a rental car may have cost, and WL package will increase in price by 400-500 dollars not an issue if it would be better with travel and less stress. I just saw no need for a rental car if we are just going to keep it parked since we thought the AKL busses were reliable pretty fast and would get you there on time. Help please :bride: :confused3

Hmmmmm... As this will be our first visit to AKL, it is a concern of mine as well. We have an 8:30 Segway tour scheduled, a 9:00 Backstage Magic tour scheduled as well as an 8:00 ADR at the CP. I figure you guys know more than the lady at the AKL.

What time do the AKL veterans suggest being at the AKL bus stop so as not to be late to any of these?

Thanks...

Babs :wave2:

Lostgirlz said:

Quite honestly, I would trust the collective opinion about transportation from our fellow DIS'ers (ESPECIALLY the Wild Bunch!) over any CM's opinion over the phone. That's tried & true advice, unlike the CM's opinion.

hi and good day to all, 4 days to go kimmar and i was happy about hitting the 1 month mark, have a great trip and i cant wait to hear about it, disney smiles to all

Less than 10 days to go!!!
:cool1: :banana: :cheer2: :Pinkbounc

I will start this by saying that I have never stayed at AKL before but I have stayed at other resorts and bus transportation has been uneven at best. If I needed to be at a particular restaurant or park (especially early) I would either call a cab or rent a car. We are using WDW buses this trip because we plan to take it easy and spend most of our time at the resort. The only time we have to be somewhere early, we will be taking a cab to Ohanas for the character breakfast because there is no way we will be at the bus stop at 8:30a for a 9:30 breakfast as you have to take a bus to a park and then transfer to the Poly bus or if you take the bus to MK then you take the resort monorail to the Poly but this all takes time as nothing guarantees that a bus will be waiting for you. In January it took us over 1 hour to get from the Grand Floridian back to Saratoga Springs as we waited 20 minutes at MK (after taking the monorail there and walking to the bus stop) for the bus to SSR. Even when staying at the Poly, it has taken us an hour to get inside of EPCOT because of monorail traffic. Because then you wait on line to get into the park. Usually Disney Dining will say you need to leave at least hour for transportation between resorts and actually it may be more.

Geez you have me all excited too!!!! I have 3 months to go. I cancelled my ressies at WCC to CP at the MK for that reason alone. I was worried it would be to much with the little one. Have fun and post a great trip report. :thumbsup2

Some of you may want to adjust or add to your dinner ressies:

Certain restaurants around the World will have extended hours from August 13, 2006 through September 4, 2006, as follows:

-- Boma will begin seating 30 minutes earlier for dinner.
-- Chef Mickey will offer a lunch buffet from 12:30 to 3 p.m.
-- Concourse Steakhouse will begin seating 60 minutes earlier for dinner.
-- Grand Floridian Cafe will begin seating 60 minutes earlier for dinner.
-- 'Ohana will begin seating 60 minutes earlier for dinner.
-- 'Ohana will extend seating by 60 minutes for breakfast.
-- Liberty Tree Tavern, Crystal Palace and Tony's Town Square will all have extended dinner hours (varies by day).
-- Mickey's Backyard BBQ is adding shows on August 18, 25 and September 1.

I know that several of you are concerned with getting to your breakfast destinations on a timely basis - I am [right now] trying to find out when the buses ACTUALLY begin running in the morning, and how early you should be at the AKL bus stop....will post more info later......

I use the 20 rule.... 20 minutes at each stop, 20 for travel, 20 to walk from place to place to get where you are going. When in doubt, grab a cab! Please remember, if you need to get to MK go to the Contemporary and walk it, or go to the GF and monorail it. If you tell the cab MK you go to the TTC and you still have a ferry or monorail wait.

Lostgirlz said:
I called AKL this morning to ask them about their bus transportation to and from the hotel to the parks for early morning char breakfasts, and to the p/p party and what time we would need to be at the bus in order to make it. She told me 45mins-1 hour prior to the bus going. I was a bit shocked as I have heard it ..... going to keep it parked since we thought the AKL busses were reliable pretty fast and would get you there on time. Help please :bride: :confused3

No need to stress! Star Limo (407-888-5530) can solve all that for you. Town cars are not terribly expensive and (in my mind) a justifiable expense to insure your timely arrival for early morning events. Particularly for a) your first trip and b) your honeymoon...

For general park attendance the buses are fine coming from or going back to, AKL. We never waited more than about 10 minutes and the trips themselves were no longer than about 15 - 20. Any other resort and you have other "stops" on the route and that can cause delays and crowding.

Bob

While we frequently use towncars and limos for resort/airport transportation, I would much prefer to use a taxi for my resort to resort transportation if I chose not to do a lot of walking and/or switching transportation. Walk out the front of AKL and turn right to the valet. They can get a cab for you and you are instantly on your way. I don't like to be held down by too many time tables while on vacation. This assures I have transportation when I am ready for it, rather than hurrying because I know someone is waiting for me.

If you chose to use AKL's bus system... fear not! It is one of the best!

Have a WILD time!
Debbie

I had quite the little scare yesterday. As you may remember, I have booked a "Standard" room at AKL since that is all I can afford at the moment, especially with all the little "extras" we have planned. I checked availability online (I do this sometimes just to see how "booked" they will be during our stay) and saw the price difference for the 3 nights we will be there was only $65 between Standard and Savannah. Too good to be true, right? (YES :confused3 ).

So I called Disney to inquire if (A) it would be possible to upgrade to a different room level at AKL without losing the free dining package (a CM had told me months ago that any changes to the ressie would lose the dining package if it was after the booking deadline) and (B) to find out what the price difference would be.

The CM eagerly told me all the great benefits of a Savannah room while looking up the difference ($276 for 3 nights). Little did I know, she automatically changed the room level while looking up the price! I was just inquiring, which I had told her when I called, because I wanted to see if I could swing the extra cost if it was an option.

When I told her that I'd stay with Standard and see if my budget changes by the time we go, she tried to change the room back to Standard. Umm, big problem...Standard was "sold out" so she had to get a supervisor to try and change my ressie back, and for the same price I had already paid for.

I panicked, and sat on hold for over 30 minutes while she tried to get back the room I had booked, only once coming back on to tell me she was still working on it. Unfortunately I had a meeting to go to and couldn't hold any longer so ended up just hanging up, half expecting a call back to confirm everything was restored. No call. But I did see online that the ressie has been restored to its original state. While on hold I logged on and saw the room was booked as Savannah, then later back to Standard at a higher price.

Boy, was I happy to see everything back in order later in the day!! :dance3: The moral of the story: Don't call to inquire about upgrading your room unless you're prepared to lose your original ressie!

#1hockeymom said:
While we frequently use towncars and limos for resort/airport transportation, I would much prefer to use a taxi for my resort to resort transportation if I chose not to do a lot of walking and/or switching transportation. Walk out the front of AKL and turn right to the valet. They can get a cab for you and you are instantly on your way. I don't like to be held down by too many time tables while on vacation. This assures I have transportation when I am ready for it, rather than hurrying because I know someone is waiting for me.

If you chose to use AKL's bus system... fear not! It is one of the best!

Have a WILD time!
Debbie

The taxi's are convenient in that you don't have to schedule in advance. If, however, you have a scheduled event anyway, it may be to your advantage to know that your transportation is available when needed. It was my experience that, particularly in the morning hours, the taxis on the "stand" at AKL would frequently be taken and you may be delayed for awhile waiting on one to arrive since many folks use taxis in the morning to insure their timely arrival.

Besides, a honeymoon is a "special" occasion and perhaps warrants additional expenses that might not otherwise be budgeted.

I agree, though, that the AKL bus system is definately well run and would suggest that the CM whose comments originated this discussion may have just been covering themselves to insure there were no un-met expectations.

Bob

shyjade that is horrible, I would have been freaking out if that happened to me. I am glad it is all fixed for you today.

OK experts another question what would you do? A room with a view on the 5th floor or one on the 6th floor with a crappy view but closer to the lounge? I am so torn I just cant decide. I also cant find a picture of a 6th floor balcony anywhere.

Next the IPO said they set up a cake for us for our anniversary ( we are celebrating 15 years ) and it is DH's belated 40th. We couldnt get off for his real birthday 3 weeks prior so we had to go late. Anything that anyone could suggest for a surpise I could do for him???

Anyone know the cost of a cab aprx. from AKL to WL?
TIA.

Liz

Looking for reassurance after a crazy AKL dream I had about my upcoming trip (first time at AKL), and I figured this was the place to get it.

So, we arrived at the resort about 5 minutes after landing in Orlando (first sign that this was a dream). We enter the lobby, which is pretty fancy (I'm talking gold & chandelier-type fancy). In the middle of the lobby is the check-in counter, which happens to be a fold-up table with papers strewn all over it. We check in with the guy working there, and he offers to "upgrade" us, but will give us 60 DVC points for the hassle. The upgrade is for a "standard view harvest room" (we have a savannah view booked). We say no thanks, and he gives us a 1st floor savannah view. Now, the only thing he physically gives us is our room key, which we had to ask for. So, we head off to find our room (we have no map or directions) and are looking for the elevator (yes, we needed the elevator to get to our first floor room). We finally found the elevator in what looked like a stairwell with cartoon animals painted on the walls of the stairwell. When we get off the elevator we are outside of Boma with a lounge-y area (that looked like an airport waiting area) outside it. (We never actually went to our room). Now, Boma looked like a tiny little restaurant that was almost completely open to the waiting area. Around the restaurant section (where the wall would be) was an entire wall of fake rain (actual water falling from the ceiling to the floor). There was one tiny little path that led to the side of the restaurant where you could get in without going through the "rain".

Now, this is where I woke up thinking "I can't believe this is it!"

I know that I'm going to love AKL for real, but I was pretty scared there for a moment when I first woke up.

A cab between WL/AKL will run aprox 13-15 dollars plus tip. Congrats on your anniversary! Have you checked allears for the AKL menus? I know they used to have an in room dining package/romance package. That might be a nice way to wind down after a long day in the parks. One sleeping toddler... romance on the balcony! *just remember there are cameras watching the savannahs and the balconies at all times! LOL* As far as fifth or sixth floor I can see pluses for both with your situation. Good luck with your decision!

ShyJade>> I'm so glad everything worked back to the way it was intended!

sistertrip said:
Looking for reassurance after a crazy AKL dream I had about my upcoming trip (first time at AKL), and I figured this was the place to get it.

So, we arrived at the resort about 5 minutes after landing in Orlando (first sign that this was a dream). We enter the lobby, which is pretty fancy (I'm talking gold & chandelier-type fancy). In the middle of the lobby is the check-in counter, which happens to be a fold-up table with papers strewn all over it. We check in with the guy working there, and he offers to "upgrade" us, but will give us 60 DVC points for the hassle. The upgrade is for a "standard view harvest room" (we have a savannah view booked). We say no thanks, and he gives us a 1st floor savannah view. Now, the only thing he physically gives us is our room key, which we had to ask for. So, we head off to find our room (we have no map or directions) and are looking for the elevator (yes, we needed the elevator to get to our first floor room). We finally found the elevator in what looked like a stairwell with cartoon animals painted on the walls of the stairwell. When we get off the elevator we are outside of Boma with a lounge-y area (that looked like an airport waiting area) outside it. (We never actually went to our room). Now, Boma looked like a tiny little restaurant that was almost completely open to the waiting area. Around the restaurant section (where the wall would be) was an entire wall of fake rain. There was one tiny little path that led to the side of the restaurant where you could get in without going through the "rain".

Now, this is where I woke up thinking "I can't believe this is it!"

I know that I'm going to love AKL for real, but I was pretty scared there for a moment when I first woke up.

Well.... you do need to use an elevator for first floor rooms if you're coming from the lobby and not the pool area! My advice.. stay out of any Rainforest Cafe located in Vegas! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter