JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pictures! Sounds like you will have a great time with all the teenagers :thumbsup2 Would love too see some pics when you return, have fun :cool1:

SuAnne said:
Thought I'd just jump on the bandwagon here since we only have 18 more days to go until our stay at AKL. :woohoo:

Oh Kimmar, how many days do you have left???????????

Hello to all of you AKL lovers!!! :sunny:

I've just booked our second visit to AKL! We'll be staying there following a Disney cruise, next February. I have AAA, so I asked the CM about getting a discount. They only had savannah, deluxe pool, or standard concierge rooms available with AAA. So...I went with the concierge!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

My only question is (and I posted this out on the board)...what does "standard" concierge mean? Also, what floor is concierge, and are all of the concierge rooms on that floor?? I requested a savannah view. :3dglasses

Also, where can I find out info on the Sunrise Safari? I think I read that they offer the Sunrise Safari and the Sunset Safari at different times of the year; which one will they be doing in early February? Those of you who've done it, did you enjoy it??

Any and all AKL concierge and Sunrise Safari info appreciated!! :goodvibes

P.S. A few months ago we stayed in a pool view room and LOVED the location and the lodge itself. I can't wait to go back!! :love:

Does anyone know if you can walk from the pool area to the bus stop? Do you have to go through the lobby all of the time? I have searched through the entire thread and found nothing about this. This is my first stay at AKL and want to get a feel of where to request my room (savannah view

I've just booked our second visit to AKL! We'll be staying there following a Disney cruise, next February. I have AAA, so I asked the CM about getting a discount. They only had savannah, deluxe pool, or standard concierge rooms available with AAA. So...I went with the concierge!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Good for you - this is my favorite concierge on property. :thumbsup2

My only question is (and I posted this out on the board)...what does "standard" concierge mean? Also, what floor is concierge, and are all of the concierge rooms on that floor?? I requested a savannah view. :3dglasses

Terry - Standard concierge seems to be something new. There has been some talk about it around these boards. From what others have said, the AKL will probably be doing some room rennovations. I know that I will be asking about this when I arrive next week, and I have a feeling there are those already there who will try to find out.
The concierge lounge is on the 6th, and there are very few rooms on this floor. Pool view are usually designated as smoking and there are perhaps 6 rooms overlooking the sunset savanah. Most guests are placed on the 5th floor which usually guarantees you a savanah view. You have access to the floor from the elevator(with your key) and in the past we have used the keyed gate located on one side of the 5th. Not sure if that is still in use. The walk to the lounge has never been that bad, but my boys are older, no small children, so it has never been an issue.

Also, where can I find out info on the Sunrise Safari? I think I read that they offer the Sunrise Safari and the Sunset Safari at different times of the year; which one will they be doing in early February? Those of you who've done it, did you enjoy it??

The sunrise safari is on Th and Sun mornings. You meet in the lounge early, tickets are checked and have a cup of coffee. When it is time you are loaded onto buses,with a knowledgable CM, for your trip to AK which is not yet open. Once there you proceed to KS for your own private tour. Many animals are just being let out and it is a wonderful time for pictures, questions, and a little backstage info. It ends with a wonderful buffet breakfast at Tusker House.( sorry I cannot remeber the exact price - I'm thinking maybe around $50 per adult)
The Sunset Safari is right on property. This one is $150 per person and is limited to about 8 people. You are loaded into a special vehichle and tour the savanahs with a CM answering questions and imparting some little known facts. Again a great opportunity for pictures. The evening ends with a special dinner at Jiko, served family style to your group.

Both safaris are wonderful, and we have done both. We have the sunrise scheduled once again this year, but are also thinking about the sunset as I know there is a new baby girraffe and some baby river hogs that have been born since we were last there.

Be sure to contact the concierge and introduce yourself. Don and Juanita are some of the best IPO's on property and will certainly be able to answer all your questions. You will have a wonderful time. :)

psar said:
Terry - Standard concierge seems to be something new. There has been some talk about it around these boards. From what others have said, the AKL will probably be doing some room rennovations. I know that I will be asking about this when I arrive next week, and I have a feeling there are those already there who will try to find out.
The concierge lounge is on the 6th, and there are very few rooms on this floor. Pool view are usually designated as smoking and there are perhaps 6 rooms overlooking the sunset savanah. Most guests are placed on the 5th floor which usually guarantees you a savanah view. You have access to the floor from the elevator(with your key) and in the past we have used the keyed gate located on one side of the 5th. Not sure if that is still in use. The walk to the lounge has never been that bad, but my boys are older, no small children, so it has never been an issue.

The sunrise safari is on Th and Sun mornings. You meet in the lounge early, tickets are checked and have a cup of coffee. When it is time you are loaded onto buses,with a knowledgable CM, for your trip to AK which is not yet open. Once there you proceed to KS for your own private tour. Many animals are just being let out and it is a wonderful time for pictures, questions, and a little backstage info. It ends with a wonderful buffet breakfast at Tusker House.( sorry I cannot remeber the exact price - I'm thinking maybe around $50 per adult)
The Sunset Safari is right on property. This one is $150 per person and is limited to about 8 people. You are loaded into a special vehichle and tour the savanahs with a CM answering questions and imparting some little known facts. Again a great opportunity for pictures. The evening ends with a special dinner at Jiko, served family style to your group.

Both safaris are wonderful, and we have done both. We have the sunrise scheduled once again this year, but are also thinking about the sunset as I know there is a new baby girraffe and some baby river hogs that have been born since we were last there.

Be sure to contact the concierge and introduce yourself. Don and Juanita are some of the best IPO's on property and will certainly be able to answer all your questions. You will have a wonderful time. :)

Thank you so much for that information, Fran!! :sunny: I was under the impression that ALL or MOST of the concierge rooms were on the same floor as the concierge lounge and that they were just going to give some non-concierge rooms on other floors access to the lounge. That didn't sound very appealing. lol But since it sounds as if MOST of the concierge rooms are NOT on the concierge floor, then that won't really matter :)

Thanks also for the info on the Safaris :sunny:

Definately most concierge rooms are not on the Lounge floor, and truly it doesn't make any difference. In fact, I would say you get to see/enjoy a lot more of the hotel by the nice walks in between the lounge & your room. I espsecially liked being on the kudu trail where you would have to walk over the rope bridge every time. Very cool!

Your welcome Terry. :) Now I see on another post someone is asking about "Shades of Green" :confused3 listed on their confirmation. I certainly will have lots of questions next week.

Tinknme....
Thanks for the pressed penny info. :thumbsup2

I'm going to start saving the shiny new ones and the M & M tube is a great idea! I'm an artistic person and I'm already thinking of ways to decorate the tubes. It's going to be a great souvenier for the kids.

I started making the kids their own personalized autograph books that will then turn into a scrapbook for them. (I just have to contain my own excitement when we see the characters and remember to take a picture of the kids getting autographs! :teeth: )

A note about those "home-made" autograph books sold on ebay...I thought they were a really neat and great idea and if I weren't artistic myself, I would have bought them. After going to the craft store and buying all the stuff....the books are a good price!

Have a great day!
Tracy

Here's another tip on the M&M Mini tubes which I read somewhere on the DIS...

If you keep the tubes (filled with quarters and pennies) in your carry on luggage, be sure to point it out to the bag scanners. Apparently it can appear to be some sort of explosive device when first inspected...solid tube filled with coins. I plan on pulling it out of my bag before going through security so I can point it out right away. This may save some time and embarassment, not to mention a full body search by security (unless the guy is cute and single...but that's another story)! Better safe than sorry... :thumbsup2

Your welcome Tracy :goodvibes

If you need more ideas on the autograph book, checkout this link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1004360

And for frames if you want or need them:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1126496

Lots of wonderful designs & ideas going on here!

Oh_the_anticipation! said:
Tinknme....
Thanks for the pressed penny info. :thumbsup2

I'm going to start saving the shiny new ones and the M & M tube is a great idea! I'm an artistic person and I'm already thinking of ways to decorate the tubes. It's going to be a great souvenier for the kids.

I started making the kids their own personalized autograph books that will then turn into a scrapbook for them. (I just have to contain my own excitement when we see the characters and remember to take a picture of the kids getting autographs! :teeth: )

A note about those "home-made" autograph books sold on ebay...I thought they were a really neat and great idea and if I weren't artistic myself, I would have bought them. After going to the craft store and buying all the stuff....the books are a good price!

Have a great day!
Tracy

...I'm ba-a-a-ck from upstate NY!! [just in time to get ready fer my AKL vaca.... :woohoo: ]

#1hockeymom said:
I don't blame you for telling! Even if all the pictures in the world are viewed they won't do the AKL justice. Plus... the smell as you enter is just heavenly!

.....::yes::!!

Woohoo, 5 more days!!!!!! I am so excited for you :cool1:

kimmar067 said:
...I'm ba-a-a-ck from upstate NY!! [just in time to get ready fer my AKL vaca.... :woohoo: ]

kaysmommie said:
:offtopic: here. I was wondering how that special K is working for you all? I have 26 days left until Disney. Want to lose a size before all that food I'll be eating. to all of you leaving in a few days, Have a great vacation! :wave:

...well, I didn't actually WEIGH myself (I suffer from the rare disease Scalaphobia.. :teeth: !) but I do feel like my shorts fit a bit less snug.....or :confused3 mebbe it's all in my head.....

Thanks for the tips everyone! :)

I haven't had a chance to check out the scrapbook forums yet, but I bet there is some great stuff on there! I bought some special handmade African looking papers for pics from AK and AKL. ( I really need to take the time to figure out how to get all the graphics and pics on so I can show you guys. Is there a forum/post just for that??)

I have not been faithful with it yet :guilty: I love the cereal, but some days I just can't take another bowl. I will try again though. I have cut down on sweets, the cereal bars are really good!

kimmar067 said:
...well, I didn't actually WEIGH myself (I suffer from the rare disease Scalaphobia.. :teeth: !) but I do feel like my shorts fit a bit less snug.....or :confused3 mebbe it's all in my head.....

tinknme said:
I have not been faithful with it yet :guilty: I love the cereal, but some days I just can't take another bowl. I will try again though. I have cut down on sweets, the cereal bars are really good!

..... :thumbsup2 ...don't think of it as 'trying to lose wieght', but more like trying to get healthier.....[OR, making room for MORE zebra domes.... :teeth: ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter