Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Has there been word as to if/when WDW plans on renovations at Kidani? We're just back from five awesome days over Thanksgiving and though the lobby and common areas were nice, I was blown away by how worn both the room and hallways were at the resort, so much so that we'll chose another Deluxe on our trip next year. Love the animals off the balcony, but I just can't find value in the price of another Savannah view stay if the rooms haven't been renovated by our next visit.
I think it's likely they'll announce an updated renovation schedule for all the DVC resorts at the condo association meeting tomorrow afternoon. Several resorts got off schedule as a result of the pandemic and ensuing supply chain issues. I hope they've worked hard to catch up.

Could anyone check at the Mara or the gift shop and see what the price of a 750 mL bottle of white wine is?

Has there been word as to if/when WDW plans on renovations at Kidani? We're just back from five awesome days over Thanksgiving and though the lobby and common areas were nice, I was blown away by how worn both the room and hallways were at the resort, so much so that we'll chose another Deluxe on our trip next year. Love the animals off the balcony, but I just can't find value in the price of another Savannah view stay if the rooms haven't been renovated by our next visit.

we noticed this too. Don’t get me wrong, we LOVED our stay, but it’s definitely dated. We had several outlets that didn’t work, and one that was pretty much coming off of the wall. Overall, still loved it, but it’s ready for some TLC

Last edited:
I'm so bummed the campfire is so early! We are staying tomorrow night and that'd be so much fun to do after we get back from GKTW Night of a Million Lights :(

Pre-trip panic mode has set in!

Does anyone know if the hotel rooms at Jambo have USB ports? I just realized I have no other way to recharge my portable phone battery. Help! Thank you.

Pre-trip panic mode has set in!

Does anyone know if the hotel rooms at Jambo have USB ports? I just realized I have no other way to recharge my portable phone battery. Help! Thank you.

Yes, there are USB ports but they’re not reliable. Sometimes they wouldn’t work and I had to use a regular plug in an outlet.

Yes, there are USB ports but they’re not reliable. Sometimes they wouldn’t work and I had to use a regular plug in an outlet.
Thank you! I'm probably going to buy an adapter for the portable battery's power cord. I didn't realize I didn't already have one, but it's a new phone and a new battery.

ETA: I found an adapter right here. One less thing to purchase . . . since I'll be spending all my spare change on G+ and ILL$!

Last edited:
Does Animal Kingdom Lodge participate in the Disney In-Room Celebrations program? I know that balloons are not allowed for the health and safety of the animals, but I’m not sure if that also applies to floral arrangements. Looking at celebrating a graduation milestone on our trip in May!

Just back last Wednesday from a wonderful stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House.

Some notes and observations:

I put in a Touring Plans room request for a Standard with a partial Savannah view, and we had what was quite possibly the best location I've ever had. Not sure if it was actually a Standard room as booked, but our view was fantastic. Lots of animals out and about the entire trip, we were in Room 3347.

I was shocked when I checked in and they tried to talk me out of any housekeeping at all, but requested a light housekeeping once every 3 days which was my only choice. Then they only came once in 9 nights, and we had to call or ask for clean towels/coffee/etc. I found that completely unacceptable for a stay of 9 nights at a Deluxe resort, sorry. They would not even change the sheets, but would have brought up clean sheets had I asked.

We ate at Sanaa for the first time, first visit to Kidani as well. One of the best meals I've had on Disney property, service was outstanding and the food was excellent (even with a limited menu). We will be putting Sanaa on the list of must eat restaurants for future trips. Kidani was gorgeous, I need to go back sometime during the day to check out the resort more thoroughly.

I did not order much from the Mara, the menu was quite limited and I was not a big fan before the pandemic squeezed the restaurants and it's even worse right now.

Delighted that Boma was back as a buffet, I ate both breakfast and dinner during my trip, it's still one of my favorite restaurants. I do hope they ultimately bring back the make your own omelet station, they had a few premade ones to choose from but I like to pick my own fillings.

I talked to a number of CM's during my trip both at AKL and the parks, most were so happy to be back and doing the best they can during these trying times. I found mask compliance to be excellent overall, which surprised me. I'm really glad I ended up finally getting back to my Happy Place after two years!

Attachments

• giraffe.jpg
    giraffe.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 37
We were also at Jambo last week, and it was so nice to get back. Sanaa and Boma are 2 of our favorites at WDW, too. We did not get to enjoy Sanaa this trip, but the dinner buffet at Boma was a welcome site! It's still not 100% of what it was pre-Covid, but it was still darn good! Now if we can just get Jiko back open - I'm sure that's coming in 2022 (or at least I hope!).

We were also at Jambo last week, and it was so nice to get back. Sanaa and Boma are 2 of our favorites at WDW, too. We did not get to enjoy Sanaa this trip, but the dinner buffet at Boma was a welcome site! It's still not 100% of what it was pre-Covid, but it was still darn good! Now if we can just get Jiko back open - I'm sure that's coming in 2022 (or at least I hope!).

Next trip I would like to try Jiko, I've never eaten there despite staying at AKL a number of times!

Hoping and praying that Jiko is open when we go in January - we had reservations in 2019 but Hurricane Dorian had other plans and the whole resort shut down early afternoon.

Hoping and praying that Jiko is open when we go in January - we had reservations in 2019 but Hurricane Dorian had other plans and the whole resort shut down early afternoon.

When we asked they thought it might be in the January/February time frame for reopening. Even though most restaurants are open now, they're still limiting capacity because they just don't have the staff.

Jiko is definitely a unique and special place to dine. I find it might not be for everyone, but we've enjoyed our experiences a lot. We especially enjoyed it as part of the Wanyama Safari, which included a trip around the savanna at AKL and then an amazing dinner/wine pairing in the restaurant. It doesn't get much better than that!

Jiko is my families favorite restaurant on property. First dined there in 2006 and many times since. Beyond the delicious food… Wonderful, knowledgeable staff. Fantastic wine. Great atmosphere. Never feel rushed.
A few years back we were having dinner there when I looked up and realized that Joe Rhode was having dinner with a group of folks directly behind us. Didn’t bother him (wouldn’t dream of it) but we got a kick out it none the less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter