Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Hi there! 44 days to go and I just switched our resort from POP to AKL Standard view room. We've never stayed at AKL (or a Deluxe for that matter), so we're pretty excited!
I know practically nothing about AKL but the price difference was fairly minimal so guess I've got some research ahead of me!

I understand the Uzima pool will be being refurbed while we're there...how long of a walk or shuttle is it to the pool at Kidani?

We booked a standard view, but what are the chances we could ask for a savannah view room? It's always been DH's dream to see the animals from his balcony. TIA!

I timed the walk from the front door of Jambo House to the zazu elevator at Kidani (closest one to Jambo) - it was 4 minutes. Then if you are going to the pool at Kidani, you go back out the front - I would say maybe about 5 more minutes to the pool. There's also a small shuttle bus that goes on a loop between Jambo and Kidani, OR you can take the Disney Springs bus from Jambo to Kidani (just ask the bus driver first to make sure).

As far as views, I recommend you search this thread for "people pen". The standard view rooms are classified "standard" for lots of reasons, but at AKL they are often partial savanna rooms just overlooking the fire escape areas on the savannas that are a fence enclosure (hence the term "people pen"). Standard rooms are definitely not all parking lot view and range from parking lot to partial pool view to roof view to a beautiful partial savanna view. I highly recommend the small annual price ($15ish?) for touring plans.com where you can see actual room views, if you aren't willing to slog through all the posts here in this fabulous thread.

The best luck I've had with touring plans is to edit the fax request info and instead of leaving a long trail of "NW facing room 6th floor like 1401, 1402, 1403,..." (this is an example, I just made that up) I delete all of that and write what I am looking for in plain English, like "We are celebrating special birthdays with one night at the Lodge and would love a partial savanna view. My children love the animals but we need to be near the lobby due to mobility issues. Any room near Room xxxx looks like it might fit our needs and we appreciate any requests that can be honored " (or anything else you might need to address). I've been rewarded with some truly fabulous views, or with literally the first room off the lobby when convenience was more important to me than view.

Have a great time planning and I hope you have a great trip.

I timed the walk from the front door of Jambo House to the zazu elevator at Kidani (closest one to Jambo) - it was 4 minutes. Then if you are going to the pool at Kidani, you go back out the front - I would say maybe about 5 more minutes to the pool. There's also a small shuttle bus that goes on a loop between Jambo and Kidani, OR you can take the Disney Springs bus from Jambo to Kidani (just ask the bus driver first to make sure).

As far as views, I recommend you search this thread for "people pen". The standard view rooms are classified "standard" for lots of reasons, but at AKL they are often partial savanna rooms just overlooking the fire escape areas on the savannas that are a fence enclosure (hence the term "people pen"). Standard rooms are definitely not all parking lot view and range from parking lot to partial pool view to roof view to a beautiful partial savanna view. I highly recommend the small annual price ($15ish?) for touring plans.com where you can see actual room views, if you aren't willing to slog through all the posts here in this fabulous thread.

The best luck I've had with touring plans is to edit the fax request info and instead of leaving a long trail of "NW facing room 6th floor like 1401, 1402, 1403,..." (this is an example, I just made that up) I delete all of that and write what I am looking for in plain English, like "We are celebrating special birthdays with one night at the Lodge and would love a partial savanna view. My children love the animals but we need to be near the lobby due to mobility issues. Any room near Room xxxx looks like it might fit our needs and we appreciate any requests that can be honored " (or anything else you might need to address). I've been rewarded with some truly fabulous views, or with literally the first room off the lobby when convenience was more important to me than view.

Have a great time planning and I hope you have a great trip.
This is insanely helpful...thanks so much!

We are going in November :)
If you are visiting in November 2018, I hope that when Disney offered you the "up-grade" they also told you that the pool at AKL Jambo would be closed during that period and that any rooms facing the pool area would be looking at the refurbishments.

So just a week away from our AKV part of our trip-and hubs looked on DME and asked why our pop reservation was only til Aug 7th! Blamed a glitchy app and having to take son off reservation-hoping it will still be a surprise LOL.
Have the Touring plans fax configured with request for partial savanna view....fingers crossed!

Wondering if anyone knows where the 2 bedroom suites (not villas) are located in Jamba house? Thanks very much

How would I go about asking for a room request? fax? Would anyone know the fax #?How far in advance do I ask for this request?
We booked a value studio and believe I read that those rooms are Ostrich and giraffe trails? Is this correct? Is one side better than the other? I was thinking to request the Giraffe side because it looks closer to the buses, pool and mara. Is this correct?
Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

If you are visiting in November 2018, I hope that when Disney offered you the "up-grade" they also told you that the pool at AKL Jambo would be closed during that period and that any rooms facing the pool area would be looking at the refurbishments.
Hope that the reservationists were transparent! Anywhere near the Pool, isn't so "grande":sad2:during the refurbishment period! :scared1::scratchin

We are 9 days away and the kids don't know either! They think the trip is in November
Nice! They know that we have been talking about going to Disney for the 50th....we just never mentioned this upcoming trip. Since we are staying at AKL, I cannot think of a better way to let them know that we are going then waking them up at 4:00 AM on the morning of departure, playing the opening chords of "Circle of Life," from the Lion King Soundtrack...hehehe....

How would I go about asking for a room request? fax? Would anyone know the fax #?How far in advance do I ask for this request?
We booked a value studio and believe I read that those rooms are Ostrich and giraffe trails? Is this correct? Is one side better than the other? I was thinking to request the Giraffe side because it looks closer to the buses, pool and mara. Is this correct?
Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Did you book using DVC points or by making a regular resort reservation? If through DVC points, the best way to make a room request is through member services. If through a regular resort reservation, it's best to call the Disney reservation center and add the request to your reservation. Some people have reported that you are not able to request a room location for value studios. This was not my experience, but I made my room location request through the touringplans service. Both Ostrich and Giraffe trails are short hallways with conveniently located rooms. Some rooms will overlook the parking lot, some have a savanna view, and some overlook the pool.

I have not read anyone recently reporting that they successfully faxed the resort directly with a room request, but you could always try. The fax number is (407) 938-4799.

We are 9 days away and the kids don't know either! They think the trip is in November
DizDaD7's twins didn't know that I would be going on our latest trip (just got back last night) and I surprised them at MCO right after we landed! The look on their faces - PRICELESS!

You can find out through Touring Plans for free using their room finder

https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge

Thanks Cristbel. I'm wondering if there is any more detailed information so that I can make a room request. Touring Plans shows that there are 8 available, but not a location - floor, or view?

If anyone has stayed in a 2 bedroom suite (not villa) do you have any recommendations for room requests? I have heard that some of these rooms are definitely are better located than others.

Did you book using DVC points or by making a regular resort reservation? If through DVC points, the best way to make a room request is through member services. If through a regular resort reservation, it's best to call the Disney reservation center and add the request to your reservation. Some people have reported that you are not able to request a room location for value studios. This was not my experience, but I made my room location request through the touringplans service. Both Ostrich and Giraffe trails are short hallways with conveniently located rooms. Some rooms will overlook the parking lot, some have a savanna view, and some overlook the pool.

I have not read anyone recently reporting that they successfully faxed the resort directly with a room request, but you could always try. The fax number is (407) 938-4799.
I booked through Disney reservation not DVC.
I will call the reservation system. Thank you.

Thanks Cristbel. I'm wondering if there is any more detailed information so that I can make a room request. Touring Plans shows that there are 8 available, but not a location - floor, or view?

If anyone has stayed in a 2 bedroom suite (not villa) do you have any recommendations for room requests? I have heard that some of these rooms are definitely are better located than others.
You have to click on one of the trails to make it displays after you select the room type, then you can toggle through floors on each trail from the drop down menu.

It looks like they are located at either far end of both Kudu and Zebra trails as well as another set off of Zebra opposite side from the pool (sorry, can't remember the Savanna name). It seems that the rooms overlooking Arusha savanna would be better, but they all look like a long walk from the lobby. I guess maybe in a 2 bedroom suite you don't need the lobby much!! I'd never peel myself out of the room!

You have to click on one of the trails to make it displays after you select the room type, then you can toggle through floors on each trail from the drop down menu.

It looks like they are located at either far end of both Kudu and Zebra trails as well as another set off of Zebra opposite side from the pool (sorry, can't remember the Savanna name). It seems that the rooms overlooking Arusha savanna would be better, but they all look like a long walk from the lobby. I guess maybe in a 2 bedroom suite you don't need the lobby much!! I'd never peel myself out of the room![/

Thanks! I can now see the locations. Very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter