• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo house member mingle

heidibilotti

Mouseketeer
Just arrived today and went to sign up for the Monday night mingle and told all of these have been cancelled. Very bummed as we book dinner around this. Anyone hear as to why they have been cancelled.

Although I have no idea why, I'm really surprised as these were well-attended. My guess is that with the holidays, maybe DVC didn't have enough CMs available to host them? Maybe Animal Kingdom didn't want to supply the staff and food over the holiday season. They (AKV) may have figured they'd rather use their CMs to make magic for all their guests, whether DVC or not. Just guessing here. And if it makes you feel better, I went to one and thought it was just "fair". When I happened to be at Jambo on another trip when it was offered, I didn't bother signing up to do it again.

Just attended one Wed. Enjoyed it. (could be because DD won the gift card in the raffle.) Castmember told DH they are no longer offered. Showed him a clipboard of 5 pgs. of people that signed up to attend. Less than 20 people showed and she said that this happens all the time. Didn't say this was the reason for cancelling, but why mention it if not.

Sad to hear that. We attended last May and had fun. The snacks were delicious and it also helped that I won the gift card! Kids had a great time at the kid program that they offered too. Maybe it is just during the holidays and they'll resume next year.

we just received an email invite to something from DVC at AKL during our stay next week. They said to sign up with the front desk when we arrive. I don't have access to the email right now to give the exact wording

You have to ask yourself what the purpose of the mingle is and can DVC justify charging AKV owners to put them on.

Extra events like these tend to happen while the resort is being actively sold and soon end when the resort is almost sold out.

:earsboy: Bill

Resort sales is my best guess. It was the same way with the event they used to hold at TOTWL. Once sales started winding down for BLT they ended the event. AKV is winding down and VGF is the new resort they are concentrating on selling. It's very possible they'll start something there.

If the members mingle was a sales event, then it was paid for by DVD and not DVC dues. It would then make sense once AKL is or is near sold out for DVD to discontinue it. If the event was not sales then DVC would discontinue it if attendance got too low to spend dues money on it. Now the could have suspended it for awhile, if they know attendance during this season is too low to justify it.

If the members mingle was a sales event, then it was paid for by DVD and not DVC dues. It would then make sense once AKL is or is near sold out for DVD to discontinue it. If the event was not sales then DVC would discontinue it if attendance got too low to spend dues money on it. Now the could have suspended it for awhile, if they know attendance during this season is too low to justify it.

I was told by DVC that the mingles, welcomes, and mixers are billed to Members and payed with dues. They couldn't or wouldn't tell me if we pay 100% or if there are shared costs.

IMO they are used as a PR tool to make us feel good about our ownership which in turn increases the direct sales add-on business. The fact that sales aren't really put in you face tells me the we pay for the events.

:earsboy: Bill

We attended last Wed (12/18) and enjoyed it. There was NO mention of sales. It was just a gathering of DVC members enjoying some beverages and appetizers. Adding to our enjoyment was winning the $100 gift card and another DVC hat.

Just attended last Wednesday and had a wonderful time. There were so many attending it was split into two groups. No gift card won here but did win a poster! Enjoyed mingling with other members. I would attend again if given the opportunity.

We attended about 2 weeks ago, and it was fun. So many people signed up and attended that they set up 2 areas, and both were full. There was no mention of sales, and it was truly a members mingle. One $100 gift certificate and 2 DVC hats were given out in each of the 2 rooms. The food and drinks were plentiful and good, but the CMs started removing them before people started leaving. We didn't get an e-mail invitation to attend, but since I had read about the members' mingle here, I asked the lady at the DVC desk about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter