Jail time now possible if you have a fake service animal

Miskey

DIS Veteran
I personally could not imagine pretending to need a service animal. That's just bad karma.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/new...s/articles/cfn/2015/7/1/service_dogs_law.html

ORLANDO --

A new Florida law means jail time if you pose your pet as a service animal.

Starting July 1, anyone who lies about their animals being a guide or service animal could face up to 60 day in Jail.

For guide dog owners like Richard Darrington, this new law could help discourage imposters.

“I think it will cause people who are on the fence to think before moving forward with the decision,” Darrington explained.

He said that’s important because he is constantly asked whether his dog, Malcolm, is certified and trained.

Darrington is legally blind and needs Malcolm, who was trained for two years to be a guide dog to help him get around.

“I’m questioned all the time, ‘Is this a real guide dog?’” Darrington said. “I know part of that is because there are others out there that are masquerading and that hampers my ability to do what I need to do.”

If the dog is found to be wearing false identifiers, and isn’t properly trained then the owner will go to jail.

The law was sponsored by State Rep. Jimmie Smith, R-Inverness. Smith said he was approached by a disability rights group because veterans with PTSD said they were having trouble with access.

"There was a need for it, and local groups in the state of Florida wanted it," Smith said.

Smith said he worked with local groups as well, but it was tricky because the bill could not step on the toes of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

"So many people wanted us to do certifications and we absolutely told them there was no way to do certifications because the federal government doesn't do certifications," Smith said.

The main purpose of the bill though is to provide clarity -- for owners, for businesses and for the general public.

Service Animals FAQ

What makes an animal a service animal?

The Americans With Disabilities Act defines a service animal as the following:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.

Examples include guide dogs for the blind, dogs who pull wheelchairs, dogs who alert and protect a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person to take medications or calming a person who has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder during an anxiety attack.

A service animal is not a pet. If you see someone with a service animal in store, you shouldn't ask to pet the dog because it is most likely working.

In Florida, a service animal can be a dog or a miniature horse, according to the new law.

What's the difference between a service animal, an emotional support animal or comfort animal and a therapy animal?

Service animals go where their owners go. Because they perform specific tasks directly related to the person's needs, they are always needed anywhere.

An emotional support or comfort animal is not a service dog because while they provide therapeutic benefit to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability through the pet's companionship. Any animal can be an emotional support animal if a doctor is willing to sign off on it. But the animal is not specifically trained to perform tasks. Because of that an ESA does not get the kind of public access a service animal has. However, if the person has an emotional support animal that is approved by a medical professional, they can live in a housing unit that has a "no pets" rule, according to the federal Fair Housing Act. Airlines are also more willing to let an emotional support animal travel in the cabin of an airplane, under certain limitations. Check with the individual airlines.

A therapy dog, however, is neither. Therapy dogs are used in a wide variety of roles. They are best known for visiting people at facilities like hospitals, nursing homes and schools. They can provide comfort and stress relief for patients. They can also help in nursing homes or rehabilitation centers as a tool in therapy and treatment. But they do not have the public access a service dog has.

Where are service dogs allowed?

Essentially every where. Even at places like restaurants and supermarkets where dogs are not usually allowed, or other places where state or local health codes would prohibit animals. However, there are rules:

They must be properly harnesses, leashed or tethered unless the devices interfere with a service animal's work, or the individual's disability prevents them from using them. Then the individual has to maintain control of the animal through voice, signal or other controls.

Also, the animal must be well trained. A person who uses a service dog has to make sure that dog goes through multiple levels of training, from basic obedience to the Public Access Test. While they do not have to show a license or any evidence to training to a business, if they are dragged into court they will have to show documentation that the dog can pass the Public Access Test.

Is it true businesses are not allowed to question people with service dogs?

Businesses are not allowed to ask for proof of certification or medical documentation regarding a service dog. They are not allowed to ask specifically about the person's disability or if the dog is a service dog. They are, however, allowed to ask TWO questions, per the ADA:

1. Is the animal required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?
The business also cannot charge a person with a service animal extra fees or isolate them from other patrons.

If the animal is out of control and the owner doesn't take action to control it, or the animal poses a direct threat to other patrons, the business can be asked to remove the dog from the premises. The disabled person can then come on the property without the dog.

And allergies and fear of animals are not valid reasons for denying access to a service dog, per the ADA.

A FAQ for businesses from the ADA can be found here.

Is it true you can just register your dog online as a service dog?

No. There are many websites that claim you can register your dog, by a vest or a patch and your dog is a service dog. Unless that dog is properly trained, that dog is not a service dog. A service dog shouldn't bark unless it is to alert the patient to something they need. They should be house broken. They should follow all handler commands. They shouldn't scratch or bite. They should almost be invisible, only active and visible when they need to be to work for their handler. Even if the dog was trained by the handler, and not by an organization, their training must be absolutely stellar and obvious.

Is there actually a problem with fake service dogs?

Finding statistics on documented fake service dogs are not easy. Faking a service dog is a federal crime, and now also a misdemeanor punishable with up to 60 days of jail time in Florida. Fake service dogs become a problem for people with real service dogs because these people face added discimination from businesses and individuals who have had bad experience. It can affect their access.

Some organizations, like Canine Companions for Independence, are looking for ways to work with The U.S. Justice Dept., and this may lead to a standard for service dogs. They've collected thousands of signatures on a petition to get the Justice Dept. to look into this. CCI said they are increasingly hearing complaints from their clients that they have been denied access to public places because business owners have had bad experiences with fake service dogs.

Is this new Florida law enforceable?

"That remains to be seen," said Martha Johnson, spokesperson for Canine Companions for Independence. "We sure hope so."

Johnson said at least two dozen other states have a similar long, and it has been enforceable in those states.

"I think what it really does is just build awareness and make someone think twice before they pass their dog off as a service dog when they're not," Johnson said.

Without being able to ask specific questions it seems to me that this isn't very enforceable. Anyone whose morals are unscrupulous enough to fake having a service dog probably has no problem continuing to lie about it even with this law in place.

Enforcement is an issue. I do wish laws were changed so that it is like the parking placards. A means of proof that what you declare is truth.

I had a temporary placard when I broke my ankle. My doctor provided me the form. I had to meet specific criteria, but I don't recall it going into lengthy detail or anything.

Great, because our prisons are not already overcrowded enough and costing us enough money.

I watch a lot of bond court from Florida. It will be interesting to see if they get jail time or plead no contest.

Enforcement is an issue. I do wish laws were changed so that it is like the parking placards. A means of proof that what you declare is truth.

I had a temporary placard when I broke my ankle. My doctor provided me the form. I had to meet specific criteria, but I don't recall it going into lengthy detail or anything.

There is bigger fraud in parking placards than service dogs. The toughest part, some Doctors will write a note for a placard without regard to actual need. So you have met the letter of the law for the placard, but you really don't have a need.

I long ago gave up on wondering whether a service dog is legitimate. As long as they are well behaved I don't care. The problem is, there is no licensing, or universal registration for service animals to even verify whether the animal is legit..

That Florida law is a joke. If they choose to enforce it, I see the state having to pay out settlements for violating the rights of people who somehow find some strange way to legally justify their service animal.

There is bigger fraud in parking placards than service dogs. The toughest part, some Doctors will write a note for a placard without regard to actual need. So you have met the letter of the law for the placard, but you really don't have a need.

I long ago gave up on wondering whether a service dog is legitimate. As long as they are well behaved I don't care. The problem is, there is no licensing, or universal registration for service animals to even verify whether the animal is legit..

That Florida law is a joke. If they choose to enforce it, I see the state having to pay out settlements for violating the rights of people who somehow find some strange way to legally justify their service animal.

Well, I needed mine. I had great difficulty in normal parking spaces and distance was an issue before I transferred to a wheelchair unless I brought mine. If I didn't need to use it, I didn't. And when it expired, that was the end of that.

The point is, it essentially required a doctor's note to her the identification (in this case, a placard). Currently, no if is required of a advice animal for an establishment to check to make sure the animal has a legal right to be there.

Would it get abused? I am sure--but much less than it is now when no proof is required.

The strange thing about people having strange justification--there really is nothing they can prove legally if they were rightfully discriminated against. That depends though is the court would require proof. Emotional support dogs are an example of an uncovered animal. The can produce all sorts of verifications, but it won't make it a service animal.

The only time I ever saw an out of control animal was at EPCOT. It was with someone who clearly had a disability and probably could have benefitted from a service animal. But the dog was in no way behaving like a service dog. I actually felt bad for the guy and had wondered if maybe this dog did perform a service but was instead a family per who had not been formally a free d and trained. It was not someone trying to have Fluffy along because they could not stand to be without her. Something was definitely off. The sad thing is, it could have endangered others. It was definitely a situation to get away from. The dog was not in control.

I think there should be consequences of abuse in cases that are clearly not service dogs, but I don't this jail time is the right consequence. I would be in favor of a step fine, tiered for first offense, 2nd offense, and on.

Truly not trying to be antagonistic here, but I'm wondering why the article would lead one to believe that a dog that calms someone with PTSD is a service dog and not an emotional support animal. I don't understand how the two are different.

I don't like that people try to bend the rules so they can do as they please making it harder for people with actual needs. I usually see people with yippy, lap dogs, but the absolute worst was the lady at Epcot who lost control of her "service animal", when he took off to chase a squirrel. This dog was a fully grown newfoundland and she absolutely did not have control over him.

Well, I needed mine. I had great difficulty in normal parking spaces and distance was an issue before I transferred to a wheelchair unless I brought mine. If I didn't need to use it, I didn't. And when it expired, that was the end of that.

The point is, it essentially required a doctor's note to her the identification (in this case, a placard). Currently, no if is required of a advice animal for an establishment to check to make sure the animal has a legal right to be there.

Would it get abused? I am sure--but much less than it is now when no proof is required.

The strange thing about people having strange justification--there really is nothing they can prove legally if they were rightfully discriminated against. That depends though is the court would require proof. Emotional support dogs are an example of an uncovered animal. The can produce all sorts of verifications, but it won't make it a service animal.

The only time I ever saw an out of control animal was at EPCOT. It was with someone who clearly had a disability and probably could have benefitted from a service animal. But the dog was in no way behaving like a service dog. I actually felt bad for the guy and had wondered if maybe this dog did perform a service but was instead a family per who had not been formally a free d and trained. It was not someone trying to have Fluffy along because they could not stand to be without her. Something was definitely off. The sad thing is, it could have endangered others. It was definitely a situation to get away from. The dog was not in control.

Well I am in California, where it is estimated that half the handicapped placards were fraudulently obtained.

I have a relative over on the Gulf coast that bought a service animal vest and certificate online. Her dog has no training at all. She says she did it so she can carry it onto a plane without paying for it.

Truly not trying to be antagonistic here, but I'm wondering why the article would lead one to believe that a dog that calms someone with PTSD is a service dog and not an emotional support animal. I don't understand how the two are different.

I don't like that people try to bend the rules so they can do as they please making it harder for people with actual needs. I usually see people with yippy, lap dogs, but the absolute worst was the lady at Epcot who lost control of her "service animal", when he took off to chase a squirrel. This dog was a fully grown newfoundland and she absolutely did not have control over him.
Here is an explanation of the difference between a psychiatric service dog and an emotional support animal. The big difference is the psychiatric support dog is specially trained to alert and provide a service to the handler while an emotional support dog is just there for comfort.

http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/76

Here are some of the things a Psychiatric Service dog can be trained to do:

http://www.pawsforveterans.com/our-dogs.html

For instance, a emotional support animal is not trained and is there for comfort. A service dog is specifically trained to recognize the onset of a panic attack and can bring meds or redirect the handler away from a stressor.

There is no point in having consequences when there is no way to enforce the law since it is illegal to ask if a dog is a service dog and every person out there who wants to travel with their pet has learned to say "service dog" to end any conversation with any business that does not allow access to pets.

There is no point in having consequences when there is no way to enforce the law since it is illegal to ask if a dog is a service dog and every person out there who wants to travel with their pet has learned to say "service dog" to end any conversation with any business that does not allow access to pets.

There is a legal way to ask. The two questions that can be asked are listed in the OP.

But they are allowed to ask what tasks the dog is trained to do to provide service for the handler. Most businesses won't ask though because they are not familiar with what is allowed to be asked and what is not.

It seems what is different about this law is that while the business owner cannot ask for proof of training, if they do end up in court, there they will have to provide proof of training. So, people might think twice about saying their dogs are trained service dogs if they can't prove it.

I don't see why? The only way it will end up in court is if the pet owner presses charges which they won't do since they know they can't win.

this new law will never work, I see a lot of law suites coming for florida if they do make this a law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter