Jackets for Alaska

We went on an August cruise to Alaska last summer--LOVED it!! I was so worried about jackets and footwear, so I understand your concerns. I have a circulation disorder, so I am always cold and frequently have blue tinged fingertips...and that is at home, not in Alaska! :)

For jackets, I brought a North Face fleece that I could zip into a North Face waterproof rain jacket. This was a perfect combo for me. I wore this over long sleeves and it kept me quite warm. The rain jacket has a great hood with a bit of an "overhang" over my face--not one that just cinches tight around the edges of my face. Layering was key for me! I also had hand warmers stuffed into my jean pockets as well as my coat pockets and my gloves.

For shoes, I wore sneakers and waterproofed them with the waterproofing spray. It worked great! It was cold and drizzly on Tracey Arm day and my feet stayed toasty warm and dry.

However I did *not* stand outside all day on Tracey Arm day. No thank you! We had a lovely brunch in Palo on that morning and sat right by the window. Later we bundled up and went out front for a bit. Then we went down to our verandah room for a little while. After the ship turned around we went on the stern to the "secret deck" that was TOTALLY deserted and got great pictures from there too.

We also went on a private whale watching charter--just our family and one other. I sat up on the top of the boat the entire time wearing the same combination of layers I just posted. I was fine the whole time! Definitely bring those hand warmers! I brought a huge package of them from Amazon and stuffed them into every nook and cranny--my children were very grateful for them too!

WOW! Palo sounds wonderful on that day....
Could you see well from the verandah? Enough to just stay there all day?

Hand warmers- great idea!!! Will do that.

What did you guys wear for dinner?

Were there less Dresses worn?
Were people more dressed "down" instead of "up"?

I froze in the dining room last month on a Bahama's cruise.

For the formal night, I wore a long sleeved black velvet dress and probably was in the middle of the level of dressed up. Semi formal I wore black dress pants, a sparkly sweater & cardigan. Both nights my husband wore black dress pants, a white long sleeve button down and a Disney tie.

Pirate night I wore a Disneyland hoodie (with the characters in pirate dress) and jeans. Other nights I wore khakis or jeans and nice turtleneck or long sleeve shirts.

For the formal night, I wore a long sleeved black velvet dress and probably was in the middle of the level of dressed up. Semi formal I wore black dress pants, a sparkly sweater & cardigan. Both nights my husband wore black dress pants, a white long sleeve button down and a Disney tie.

Pirate night I wore a Disneyland hoodie (with the characters in pirate dress) and jeans. Other nights I wore khakis or jeans and nice turtleneck or long sleeve shirts.

DH collects Mickey Mouse ties -- ebay is his enabler. We refer to his ties as being rodent infested. And while we're off the subject, I made a king-size quilt out of Mickey ties.

Also know that there are many touristy shops at the ports and they sell TONS of fleece - mostly with Alaska embroidered on them.

And if you're there in September a lot of it is on sale because it's the end of the season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter