I've gone to the dark side???

Renysmom

DIS Veteran
I had to do it... My PC died and so I went and bought a Mac...

Wow it's a different world. I am so confused.. I am sure there are a few Podcast listeners who use a mac and can direct me to some good sites and blogs for learning..

At least I had all my files on external drives so I didn't lose anything.

Well congrats on your mac I have A MAc book PRO and love it i wouldn't have it any other way! If you don't know how to use it you can buy One to one lessons for a year and once a week you learn something new it is great

I'm a podcast listener and I use a Mac... I have a laptop with Vista (for school) and I absolutely hate it. OSX Leopard is so much more user friendly and doesn't freeze programs every 10 minutes. Enjoy the Mac!

Just curious, what kind of Mac did you get?

Great choice! I just started working for Apple at my local mall and just love everything Apple. http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa is a great place to start for getting your questions answered my fellow Mac users.

And remember, if your data isn't in two places, it doesn't exist! GET A TIME CAPSULE.:thumbsup2

And your now part of the FORCE, not the dark side:cool1:

Well, I can't help you out, but I'd love to hear what others have to say...DS6 just started Kindergarten, and they are learning on iMacs. Totally Greek to me. Here I was all excited when DH started a new job a couple of years ago and was able to free up his laptop (company gave him one), and I thought I'd be able to save it for the kids to use for school. Guess I'd better start thinking about getting out of my comfort zone :rolleyes1

I almost bought a Mac when I had to buy a new laptop a bit ago.

That airbook looks some sweet.

"Just curious, what kind of Mac did you get?"

I bought the Imac20.. I will admit I love getting rid of the CPU and hearing it run.

"And remember, if your data isn't in two places, it doesn't exist! GET A TIME CAPSULE"

Okay what is Time Capsule? Is that a Mac program??

Sorry Renysmom, I shouldn't have assumed that you knew what a time capsule was.

Check out this link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB277LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MTA3Mjkx

It's basically a 500 or 1,000 gig backup device that works with OS X's 'Time Machine' to keep your data backed up and safe. And it's also a WAP, which is a wireless access point to essentially give you wireless internet access in your home.

I have an older eMac, but will be getting a 24" iMac this holiday season:banana

Check out TUAW (The Unofficial Apple Weblog) http://www.tuaw.com. I love reading that for different Apple info. I also listen to Leo Laporte's MacBreak Weekly podcast. Lots of good Apple information.

I'm writing this on a two year old MacBook Pro. I've upgraded the OS and did surgery to upgrade the hard drive (I was cheap and bought a smaller hard drive than I should have), and it is as fast as the day I bought it. I have a 24" iMac at work and love it to pieces.

The only thing that I have found that I don't like particularly well is the Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac. The scroll wheel gets stuck from time to time. Keep in mind with the mighty mouse that if you go into the System Prefs, you can add a right click. THAT is a life saver.

Robert

Cyberbox -

Thanks. I already have external drives covered. Backups of each as well.

You said you work at an Apple Store and I see your from Richmond so you will be happy to hear that I bought the Mac at your store. Since there is only one Apple Store in Richmond, it has to be the same one LOL...

We were there for like 2 hours Saturday, in the afternoon. I wonder if you were there at the same time?

I already have external drives covered. Backups of each as well.
Yes, the Time Machine backup system is pretty slick and seamless - it's saved our bacon a couple of times when files were inadvertently deleted. And as you say, you don't need the Apple branded Time Capsule to use it. We've got a 750gb Maxtor which cost about $110 after rebate at Costco.

I'm on my fourth Mac. Love them.

You're not on the dark side, friend. Welcome to the bright center of the universe.
:goodvibes

We were just talking about MAC versus PC tonight at dinner. My brother is a dedicated Mackey and I still like my PC. He was saying though that he thinks Microsoft is getting worried about MAC...hence the Jerry Seinfeld commercials. I used one of my brother's MAC laptops a few months ago for a couple weeks to try it out and I just couldn't get used to it and when I ordered my new computer it was another Dell. I know a few other people though that switched to MAC and love it. I think with kids in school MAC is the way to go, that is what the schools are using now. Very savvy on MAC's part to get them in the schools.

I just switched from PC to Mac a few weeks ago after my Dell laptop got a virus (have NO idea how....I hadn't used it for 2 days then I get on and boom...ugh). I can't say HOW MUCH HAPPIER I am now. My iMac is just amazing.

Cyberbox -

Thanks. I already have external drives covered. Backups of each as well.

You said you work at an Apple Store and I see your from Richmond so you will be happy to hear that I bought the Mac at your store. Since there is only one Apple Store in Richmond, it has to be the same one LOL...

We were there for like 2 hours Saturday, in the afternoon. I wonder if you were there at the same time?

Yep that's right, I'm at the Short Pump Store but I was in training all weekend. But all next weekend I'll be on the floor shadowing a co worker (I'm new)

If I can ever help you when your in the store just ask for Matt:-)

We bought our Mac about 6 months ago, and LOVE it!!! I won't even use my PC laptop anymore!

Between Apple laptops ,desktop, i pods and I phones this house resembles the Apple store :goodvibes

I've had my Mac for a few months now and although I'm still in the learning mode - I absolutely love it!!! I have time capsule and have used it already when I accidently wiped out everything (I said I was still in the learning mode :rotfl: ) All problems I've had have been with the user & not the machine!!! I'm going to try the classes offered by the Apple store. It will make life a whole lot easier!!!

I'm in Richmond, VA too!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter