Ive come to the conclusion that im never going to make up my mind

IwasatWDWforamonth

<font color=red>Has a sweetie named Hope<br><font
you would think that after 2 years of trying to decide which dslr to get that I'd have one by now.

I almost got an evolt 500 9 months ago, I came thisclose.

Now I was really thinking i'd just go get the evolt 510, but then I get the best buy ad with the canon 40d and im like, hmmm theres a big price difference there but the 40d interests me. but if history repeats itself i'll be waiting until something else catches my eye.

My minolta is just going to keep going and going, I have 2 of them my mom bought me my first slr when I was 16 and they still work, maybe when they kick the bucket i'll be forced to go buy something

maybe

decisions decisions ;) i'm waiting for the 40 d to drop a little then i'm snagging it

I did the same thing for over a year! I love my evolt 500!!
I'm so glad I got it before our Alaska trip. What an improvement on my pictures. Now I need to really learn it.

Since you shoot minolta...

Have you considered any of the Sony DSLRs?

They would be compatible with your existing lenses and the A100 is currently selling for around $600(body only). But for the record, I will be buying the 40d as my xmas present.

My minolta is just going to keep going and going, I have 2 of them my mom bought me my first slr when I was 16 and they still work, maybe when they kick the bucket i'll be forced to go buy something

maybe

if your minoltas are autofocus, I'd rcomend the sony alpha 100, it's a great camera, or if you want to spend more wait 'till the sony 700 comes out next month,, it's an awesome camera..., they both will use minolta auto focus lenses...

I did this when I was considering buying my first digital camera (Canon A85). What I realized is that the longer I waited, the less time I had to have it and learn how to use it. I was happy when I finally decided to just buy the darned thing!

To me, waiting for newer models, lower prices or anyhting like that can just drive you crazy. A couple of months ago, I could have waited for the 40D to come out and drive the price of the 30D down a bit, but then what? Well, then I would have wanted the 40D, because it was out. It is a never ending thing.

it really is never ending,

I really did think about the sony, but my lenses are as old as the camera's with the exeption of one new one that I dislike

I never knew until one of my lenses broke that there could be a huge difference in lens quality, the one I bought 3 years ago doesnt even come
close to the ones my mom bought me.

my mom paid quite a bit for my first slr it was the spxi and she got me several lenses,I think she paid more for all the lenses than the camera itself though. 2 years later a store was going out of business and she bought me the 3xi with a lens for 100 dollars,
and I im still using it today. that was a heck of a deal lol

Im thinking maybe i'll get the olympus to play with on vacation and get the 40d next year when its a little cheaper.

maybe:)

Im thinking maybe i'll get the olympus to play with on vacation and get the 40d next year when its a little cheaper.

Ok, this make absolutely no sense to me. Unless you expect the 40D to drop by a larger amount than the olympus to cost, then you have spent more money than you had to to get what you want.

And I doubt that it willl come down that much, the 30D is only about 300 cheaper than the 40 at this moment in time and that is over 18 months after release.

it really is never ending,

That would be just about when the 50D is released? :lmao:

My advice is to settle on one or the other (Olympus or 40D) and go for it. Buy the lenses, get used to how to use it properly and enjoy it!

I know it probably doesnt make much sense lol

No 50d for me:) im sticking to the 40d, and will get one sometime before its discontinued,

I actually like having more than one camera, so I wouldnt feel I wasted money buying them both.

not expecting the 40d to drop too much within a year but it should be a little less.

im thinking i'd use the olympus in the parks and have the 40d for home

never said I wasnt crazy

I know it probably doesnt make much sense lol

No 50d for me:) im sticking to the 40d, and will get one sometime before its discontinued,

I actually like having more than one camera, so I wouldnt feel I wasted money buying them both.

not expecting the 40d to drop too much within a year but it should be a little less.

im thinking i'd use the olympus in the parks and have the 40d for home

never said I wasnt crazy

Depending on what kind of shots you like to take, the Oly might not be the best choice at WDW. If you do a bunch of tele shots, then it might be the right one. If low light is important, then the Oly is not the best due to the smaller sensor, which typically is not as good at low light, and there being no affordable fast primes that I have ever seen.

Different brands do not seem to bother you, so have you looked at the Pentax K100D and Nikon D40 (or a refurb/used D50 would be better if you can find one)?

Kevin

or get an XT, that way at least your lenses would be compatable and you would still have a smaller camera body to use.... the XT's can be had pretty cheaply now

or get an XT, that way at least your lenses would be compatable and you would still have a smaller camera body to use.... the XT's can be had pretty cheaply now

thats an idea, you guys are making it harder for me to make up my mind LOL

I do apreciate all the advice here

I would certainly think of what Master Mason said. If you have your eye set on the 40D (an EXCELLENT choice) then you should pick up an XT or XTi for now and then the lenses you get will work on the 40D as well. Then you will have 2 bodies, one smaller than the other for better travelling but you aren't wasting money on a completely different manufacturers lenses, accessories, etc. Of course, the Pentax line is a great one too. The beauty of that is in body IS and the price. Nikon and Canon are much pricier as I 'm sure you know. If I remember correctly, Pentax has at least one "upper tier" DSLR and the ever popular K100D although I am not familiar with all the models. From what I've seen of the photos, you wouldn't be sacrificing any quality by going with Pentax. They take awesome shots as well. I'm not speaking for Nikon because I know very little about them. Others could tell more. I just hate the idea of someone getting the D40 and having it be so limited on the lenses that work properly with it. The other models seem to be great.

my mom paid quite a bit for my first slr it was the spxi and she got me several lenses,I think she paid more for all the lenses than the camera itself though.
That's pretty easy, I would guess that most of the DSLR users here have spent more on lenses than the camera. :)

E510 vs 40D is a kind of unusual final two to pick. If this is your first DSLR, I would probably lean towards an entry-level one, which'll still have way more features than your film SLR most likely, and save you more money for lenses (which is where the real quality comes from.) Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, and Olympus all have excellent DSLRs. The only real "gotcha" at the moment is that the entry-level Nikons won't autofocus a lot of lenses, including most (maybe all) of their fast prime lenses, so I'd go for a D80 if considering a Nikon.

The 40D is currently $1,300 at Beach Camera without a lens - and an XTi (or any entry-level camera) with a quality lens will produce better photos than the 40D with a cheap lens - and the XTi (no lens) is $700 cheaper! The XT (no lens) is $850 cheaper! The Pentax K100D with lens (and IS with all lenses) is $900 cheaper!

I'm not trying to keep anyone from buying a more expensive camera, but it's no guarantee that you're going to automatically get better photos. Oh, and if you're looking at spending that much money, you're getting in the range of the Sigma, Fuji, and Panasonic DSLRs, too. How's that for complicating your decision-making? :lmao:

That's pretty easy, I would guess that most of the DSLR users here have spent more on lenses than the camera. :)

E510 vs 40D is a kind of unusual final two to pick. If this is your first DSLR, I would probably lean towards an entry-level one, which'll still have way more features than your film SLR most likely, and save you more money for lenses (which is where the real quality comes from.) Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, and Olympus all have excellent DSLRs. The only real "gotcha" at the moment is that the entry-level Nikons won't autofocus a lot of lenses, including most (maybe all) of their fast prime lenses, so I'd go for a D80 if considering a Nikon.

The 40D is currently $1,300 at Beach Camera without a lens - and an XTi (or any entry-level camera) with a quality lens will produce better photos than the 40D with a cheap lens - and the XTi (no lens) is $700 cheaper! The XT (no lens) is $850 cheaper! The Pentax K100D with lens (and IS with all lenses) is $900 cheaper!

I'm not trying to keep anyone from buying a more expensive camera, but it's no guarantee that you're going to automatically get better photos. Oh, and if you're looking at spending that much money, you're getting in the range of the Sigma, Fuji, and Panasonic DSLRs, too. How's that for complicating your decision-making? :lmao:

my heads spinning now lol:lmao:

To be honest, some of my favorite pictures came from my 35mm olympus p&s
so I know expensive doesnt mean better pictures,
I do imagine it will take some time for me to get used to a dslr also

I'll keep you guys posted, just don't hold your breath;)

Well, if you are going for the Olympus, I would get the 500 over the 510 any day. They really messed up when designing the 510 by making it wiht a plastic mount. One good drop withy the lense on and the mount will snap and there goes your camera. I ahve 2 Evolt 500's and have never ahd a problem wiht getting the picture I want.

Though not perfect , it's not bad and getting better the longer I own my camera.
P5120329.jpg

I use mine to shoot professionally and have not heard a complaint about any of my pictures yet.

Well, if you are going for the Olympus, I would get the 500 over the 510 any day. They really messed up when designing the 510 by making it wiht a plastic mount. One good drop withy the lense on and the mount will snap and there goes your camera. I ahve 2 Evolt 500's and have never ahd a problem wiht getting the picture I want.

Though not perfect , it's not bad and getting better the longer I own my camera.
P5120329.jpg

I use mine to shoot professionally and have not heard a complaint about any of my pictures yet.

I was looking at my first picture with my Evolt in May, and recent pictures. What a difference!!
I'm having problems with the portrait/landscaping photos. It still blurs the background out. Any hints on how to correct this?

I was looking at my first picture with my Evolt in May, and recent pictures. What a difference!!
I'm having problems with the portrait/landscaping photos. It still blurs the background out. Any hints on how to correct this?
no ideas about your particular camera but
if you are using a portrait setting it probably is set to blur the background..if not are you using a large aperture( ie f4) that would blur the back ground as well by giving you less depth so try f8 or so and see if that helps. if not, never mind, ignore this post:rotfl:

It will still blur the backfround some but not as bad as if you used straight portrait. If you wan continuity in the photo, you can use landscape mode and then it will all be equally as sharp mostly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter