• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's The Port Orleans FAQ Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When staying at POR the buses take you directly to the Magic Kingdom and to Epcot. You do not have to go to the ticket and transportation center. If you want to ride the monorail around take the bus to Epcot or the Magic Kingdom (whichever arrives first) and get on it and ride it around.

Quick question about kids and flotation devices in the pools..

Do they allow kids to bring and use flotation devices (i.e. noodles, water wings, plastic inner tubes, kick boards, beach balls) in the pools?
Do they have any such things around the pools for use?

I thought I read somewhere that they had life vests for kids to use - was that just for the boats, or for the pool as well? Are they big clunky-type ones or ones that would work in the pool? Is there any charge to use them?

Thanks!

The official line is the following, but not sure how rigidly some of the finer points are enforced by the life guards:

Safety devices permitted at Walt Disney World resort pools:
  • Walt Disney World approved flotation devices, which must be securely attached and supervising adults must remain within arms reach of the person using the device. Life jackets are available at the resorts
  • Any US Coast Guard Type II or Type III personal flotation device
  • Arm Bands
  • Swim Rings (split rings and full rings)
  • Beach Balls
Not permitted at Walt Disney World resort pools:
  • Hard Frisbees
  • Hard balls
  • Plastic Boats
  • Rafts
Andre

Where did you read that? I was under the impression that you have to go to the TCC to get to MK. :confused3

If you're driving to MK then you would park in the parking lot at TTC then ferry or monorail to MK. If you take Disney bus, it bypasses the TTC and takes you to the front entrance to MK. :surfweb:

Quick question about kids and flotation devices in the pools..

Do they allow kids to bring and use flotation devices (i.e. noodles, water wings, plastic inner tubes, kick boards, beach balls) in the pools?
Do they have any such things around the pools for use?

I thought I read somewhere that they had life vests for kids to use - was that just for the boats, or for the pool as well? Are they big clunky-type ones or ones that would work in the pool? Is there any charge to use them?

Thanks!
They have free yellow lifevests available at any Disney resort like this one:
super_soft_childs_vest.gif

I see that your children will only be 4 and 2 when you go. The lifevests are great for kids that age because they can't pop off and older kids can even go down the slide at POR and POFQ with one on. I personally don't like "water wings" because they give parents a false sense of security and can come off very easily.

Just wondering how far it really is to walk if you're staying at POR and want to go play in the POFQ main swimming pool?

Last time we stayed at CBR and didn't find the walk from Jamacia to the main pool to be overly long. Maps can be deceiving, so I'm trying to get an idea of whether people who stay at POR and POFQ really do go back and forth between the resorts?

Second question: how likely is a family of 4 to get their request of Aligator Bayou? I thought I read these rooms hold 5, are they all used up by families of 5? I don't really like the decor of the Magnolia rooms so if I can't get in AB, I might not want to book POR.

TIA!

Sorry, I have another question. It looks like page one of this FAQ is not all that up to date as it lists smoking buildings? I don't think there are any buildings that allow smoking, just smoking "areas".

Anyway, that's not my question. :) My question is about which buildings are preferred pricing and which are just regular pricing, or is it not by building number at all. Is part of building 15 preferred and the back side just regular?

Which buildings are the best to request for a short walk to pool, bus stop, and restaurant? Looks to me like 14 and 15 would be good, but I'm wondering if they are preferred pricing.

Trying a new resort is so scary!

There are no preferred buildings. You pay extra for a King Bed room or a Water-View room, but those can be in any building.

Just wondering how far it really is to walk if you're staying at POR and want to go play in the POFQ main swimming pool?

Hopefully someone else can better answer this question, but here goes...
To give you a sense of scale, if you look at the map (http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/port-riverside.htm) we were in Magnolia Terrace (bldg 85) on the ground floor right by the laundry and restroom facilities. We would walk from our room across to ol' man island then to the marina in 5 - 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure I've read that you can walk between POR and POFQ in 20 - 30 minutes (depending where you're starting from!) but we never did. Taking the boat was just too much fun. :thumbsup2

Second question: how likely is a family of 4 to get their request of Aligator Bayou? I thought I read these rooms hold 5, are they all used up by families of 5? I don't really like the decor of the Magnolia rooms so if I can't get in AB, I might not want to book POR.

TIA!

Well... all requests for rooms and/or buildings are just that, requests. But they're pretty good about filling requests if they can. POR is a pretty big resort, you might not get the particular building you want, but you'll probably get the section you want. Even if you're single you can get AB. Anyone on here ever have it happen where you got AB instead of Mansions or vice versa? :surfweb:

There are no preferred buildings. You pay extra for a King Bed room or a Water-View room, but those can be in any building.

Thank you! At CBR there are preferred buildings. Oh, all the little nuances of the different resorts make planning fun, right. :) How do people get by without the DIS?

So, are buildings 14 and 15 the primo spots?

We just got back last month from our stay at POR in the Alligator Bayou section. We are a family of three. I had mailed a requst to be in that section to the front desk of POR. I got an email to call them 2 days prior to us leaving. So I did and was told they were completely booked and the women wanted to know if I couldn't get Alligator what would be my next choice? I said what are my options? She told me Magnolia which I said I have seen them before and just was not thrilled with the layout. I told her we loved the Bayou feeling as we had stayed there several times before. She put me on hold and came back to say she had upgraded us to a river view in Alligator Bayou and it was a corner room. :banana: We were put in building 27 which was right on the river and just a very short walk to the small pool, laundry and the food court and general store. We loved it! So, yes if a family of three can be put in that area I don't see why they may not be able to do the same for you. I think it helped that I had mailed a request and also told them we were there celebrating my son's senior graduation. The women had emailed me regarding my reservation and asked me to give her a call.

Maps can be deceiving, so I'm trying to get an idea of whether people who stay at POR and POFQ really do go back and forth between the resorts?

It's 875 yards from one food court door over to the other food court. How far to the pools depends on which building you are stopping in - it could be closer than 875, could be further. So about 10-15 minutes stroll would be a good bet.

If you want to do some detailed measuring, go to Google Earth's satellite images and use their ruler tool and draw a segmented 'rubber band' line along the pathways and it'll tell you the exact distance - neat!

Andre

My question is about which buildings are preferred pricing and which are just regular pricing, or is it not by building number at all. Is part of building 15 preferred and the back side just regular?

Which buildings are the best to request for a short walk to pool, bus stop, and restaurant? Looks to me like 14 and 15 would be good, but I'm wondering if they are preferred pricing.

Trying a new resort is so scary!

Yes, buildings 14 and 15 are close as is 18. Those are the ones normally recommended for closest to Pool and Dining. :surfweb:

She put me on hold and came back to say she had upgraded us to a river view in Alligator Bayou and it was a corner room. :banana: We were put in building 27.

Fabulous, great location. We stayed in 2756 last time, which is an upper floor room in building 27 with a nice view of the pathway and river. It was really lovely, and technically wasn't classed as water view (so we were only charged the standard rate which was even better) even though one of the windows looks directly out onto the river!

Andre

Thanks all for the responses! I'm learning a lot!

Oh, so you can take a boat from point "B" at POR to point "B" at POFQ! Gosh, I have so much to learn! This is the same boat that goes on to DTD?

Thanks all for the responses! I'm learning a lot!

Oh, so you can take a boat from point "B" at POR to point "B" at POFQ! Gosh, I have so much to learn! This is the same boat that goes on to DTD?

Keep asking, as I am learning right along with you! :goodvibes

I read this entire thread a few weeks back, but can't remember now if I saw this or am thinking about something else...is there a retractable string/rod or something similar in the shower that you can hang wet bathing suits on? The information here is GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter