It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! Update: 1/21/14

Sadly bringing a 2 year old and only 2 adults meant that someone had to stick behind while my husband went on that awesome tour. So...that was me. As he was learning all about trains we were waking up super slowly and packing our bags. Not only was it our last full WDW day, it was time to check out of Art of Animation.

We were packed by 9am and thanks to some leftovers had a light breakfast in the room while we waited for bell services to transfer our bags for us.

Once they arrived we headed down to the desk to see if they needed anything else from us. They didn't. So we went over to the bus stop and headed over to MK to meet up with my husband.

Once at MK I sent a text to my husband to let him know and that we'd meet in Starbucks as planned.

IMG_3094_zps41fad583.jpg

The tree was up!!

We walked down Main St rather slowly. Taking it all in and enjoying being there. I spotted the cart where they do the silhouettes and since there was no one there I stopped to see how long. Growing up we always had one done when we went to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition, or EX if you're a local) in Toronto when we went each year. One of our walls was covered in the little portraits so I was determined to get one of my daughter. Not only for me, but for my mother as a special Christmas present.

I confirmed that it wouldn't take very long at all. I didn't get any pictures of the process because I had to entertain my daughter so she'd stay still. I ended up holding her chin up most of the time. But the end result was worth it.

IMG_3148_zps9563bf8f.jpg

I'm amazed that they just snip this out of a piece of paper. The person doing them, who was in her early 20's said that they trained her onsite and that it was just transferring drawing skills to scissors. I think she was over simplifying it because it's a true work of art.

It's also a truly affordable gift idea. Two of them framed were $22.

The whole process including mounting them and framing took about 15 minutes so by this time my husband was calling to find out where we were.

He was getting nervous because he was hungry and we had some lunch plans...

IMG_3091_zpsa2192100.png

(this is the screenshot I took on the bus just in case the Fastpass+ didn't show up on our bands)

And it was getting close to our Fastpass window.

So off we went to New Fantasyland and the Beast's castle.

We checked in at the kiosk before the bridge and the CMs confirmed our lunch order. Which was nice because we wanted to make a change. Easy enough right? Then we skipped the line, and yes noticed quite a few hateful stares as we did and went right inside. The CM inside confirmed our order with the changes and gave us a printed receipt then directed us to stand in line. Now why the first CM couldn't have done this I don't know.

But we got in line. And waited. And waited.

DSCN1044_zpsbd1ce9e5.jpg

Yes, they really do whisper!

The line was moving crazy slow. But eventually the line moved and we almost got to the end...

DSCN1045_zps121871d1.jpg

Or so we thought. By this time about 20 min had passed from the time we checked in outside and we still hadn't paid for our meal. In defense of the restaurant though it was packed. Every ordering kiosk had someone at it at all times and the CMs were doing a great job of making sure things were moving along, people were just taking a while to get things ordered. Finally we got to a register though and we had to confirm our meal again...which was good because it wasn't in the system correctly.

DSCN1047_zps52877c96.jpg

I love that this was on the screen next to the register.

I think we were handed our drink cups but I'm not sure. Either way we were told that our bands would help them locate us and sent off to find a table.

DSCN1048_zps9167088b.jpg

We wandered around a little bit trying to find a table. Vivien was a little sleepy by this point.

DSCN1050_zps575afb10.jpg

This is the drink station in the Ballroom. You can't really tell but at dinner service none of this is visible. They have little pocket doors on each side that pull out and conceal the area nicely. It's a nice touch. When we were having dinner a few days before both of us were trying to figure out what the changes would be for lunch and that's one thing we were wondering about, the drink station.

We ended up with a table in the West Wing, which was fun. Although I had to say I heard bunches of thunder and never once saw the portrait turn. So I guess I'll have to go back.

We settled in at a table and I went off for drinks.

DSCN1049_zpsf5622e7d.jpg

I was really impressed with the theming on even the soda fountain. Nice touch!

We were seated against the wall. You can see here that there are a lot of people walking around to take pictures.

DSCN1051_zps4887c281.jpg

It wasn't too long before our food came, and I used the time to try to take a good picture of that rose.

DSCN1058_zps7d992721.jpg

I think I did better this time.

So what did we eat?

I had the Croque Monsieur:
DSCN1053_zps86eb3320.jpg

Which was good. We ordered a side of green beans. Vivien and I split those, I added about half my fries and a half of my sandwich too.

Ben got the braised pork.
DSCN1054_zpsd5547cea.jpg

It was very good. But very different from the one served at dinner service.

When we ordered our dessert we knew Vivien would take a whole cream puff to herself so we just got three:
DSCN1057_zps950392a1.jpg

My favorite was the raspberry lemon one in the middle. Yum!

DSCN1068_zps5b1fe0e4.jpg

Vivien agreed!

Full of good food...we did a lap of the restaurant for one last look and we headed off for some more adventures.

DSCN1071_zps5bca7753.jpg

And now to answer a question I see quite often...is dinner worth it at Be Our Guest when lunch offers similar quality of food?

I have to say......

Yes. Yes, dinner is totally worth the expense, the time involved and the effort needed right now to get a reservation. Not only was the food a higher quality in my experience, over all the restaurant seemed a little more refined for dinner. I loved that during dinner the CMs referred to the castle as "My Master's home." and the Beast was only "My Master." I loved that in addition to being encouraged to walk around and see the castle they offered up some fun details on the castle. The rose napkins, the food coming around in big old fashioned glass carts. Everything seemed just a little more magical at dinner there.

Having said that...if they keep up with the Fastpass+ system I'll certainly be back for lunch. I'd also really like to have this option at other restaurants in WDW. I think, even though we had to wait a bit that it helped get us through a little faster.

Once we had our fill of the sights we left the Beast's castle and headed over to see what the wait time was on the Little Mermaid or to see Ariel.

IMG_3100_zpscb0ca0fc.jpg

We decided that both we're a little too long for our tastes since we'd done both-although when we saw Ariel she was in human form. So we headed back over to Storybook circus and took another flight with Dumbo. Then headed into the sideshow.

We hadn't yet met any of these characters since we skipped the Cape May ADR we had on Saturday. We were surprised to see it's actually two lines, and both had a 20 min wait. We decided to pick one and headed to see Goofy and Donald.

wdw201334327875310_6898486186_18_zpscb5a4214.jpeg

wdw201334327875311_6898735544_18_zps19ca248d.jpeg

We got about half a dozen great shots with Goofy.

wdw201334327876109_6898486157_18_zpsb92344ce.jpeg

But not that many with Donald. For this one I had to zoom and crop quite a bit. It was like the Photopass guy was standing off center and too far back.

But we met Donald and Vivien was happy.

We waved at Minnie and Daisy on the other side as we left and headed into the store where I picked up this little treat:

IMG_3125_zpse2c012ee.jpg

To forever remind me of my favorite WDW snack. The chocolate dipped rice krispy treat. And for the record it's the bigger ones that need to be refrigerated and not the small versions.

We decided that Vivien was getting too sleepy to do much else. Since Ben had been up since 5 am, and we didn't get to bed until after 1 he didn't argue too much when I said it was time to head over to All Star Movies and take a break.

I stalled a bit on the way out and we stopped for a few pictures.

wdw201334327891225_6898760647_18_zpsede6e083.jpeg

One last shot of Main St.

DSCN1075_zps59619349.jpg

And one or two with the tree:
wdw201334327885899_6898486205_18_zps97b6d87b.jpeg

wdw201334327887467_zpsb18db0af.jpeg

And then we had to say good bye to the Magic Kingdom.

It's always a little sad when you leave Magic Kingdom and don't know when exactly you'll be back. I swear I could just visit this one park for a whole week and never feel bad about not seeing any of the other ones.

It's just Magical.

Looks like a pretty great day!
We did the KTTK tour this past Sept and I LOVED it so much, definitely see more tours in the future for me! Glad he enjoyed it!

BOG is great, I agree that it's better for dinner, it's just more refined, feels more like a ballroom/castle, somewhere nice, and the food is much better, but I'll still always go for lunch too! Lol.

Looks like a pretty great day!
We did the KTTK tour this past Sept and I LOVED it so much, definitely see more tours in the future for me! Glad he enjoyed it!

BOG is great, I agree that it's better for dinner, it's just more refined, feels more like a ballroom/castle, somewhere nice, and the food is much better, but I'll still always go for lunch too! Lol.

Keys to the Kingdom is our next tour. We also may both repeat the trains tour. Our next trip is a big family with my sister, her kids and my parents and possibly my husband's mother and brother (both are interested but not sure on timing/cost etc) so we're also going to surprise everyone with the Family Magic Tour as a group activity.

I'm glad I'm not alone in liking BOG at dinner more. I mean it's nice at lunch, and you get to see the inside but it really isn't the same. I really do hope that they keep the Fastpass+ system and expand it for other Quick Service restaurants throughout the parks. I think it would be a fantastic addition.

This is my favorite of the bunch! Great call on getting in the pic, too!

Once most of the photopass photographers saw our Photopass+ they immediately went nuts and encouraged lots of combinations and poses. Most times we used them we have about a dozen photos, which was nice because between the 3 of us someone was always blinking or my hair would blow around or something.

What a special pin!

That is pretty neat that DH is watching the conductor job board!

I think it's sweet, and it would hit two birds with one stone if he got a job there. 1) It would be his dream job to be a conductor or engineer.

2) My dream of living close enough to go monthly.

Who am I kidding? If I lived that close I'd be having dinner there 3 times a week!

What a great day! BOG looks yummy - I do like the FP concept for lunch -- I'd go for that, but not that line!

What a great day! BOG looks yummy - I do like the FP concept for lunch -- I'd go for that, but not that line!

Quite right! We still had to wait once inside-so it's not completely line free. But I'd estimate that the wait wasn't any longer than if we'd gone to a counter service right at lunch rush. Not bad for the most popular coiner service in MK I think.

I do love that you don't have to drag a tray around when there too. Makes it seem a bit more fancy.

So we left Magic Kingdom for the last time for this trip. I was a little quiet as we also walked over to a new bus stop and once again we got lucky and one was pulling up right as we got there. It didn't take long to get to our next destination, All Star Movies.

As backstory on why so many hotels...we had originally planned on a much longer trip but scaled back for a few reasons. Then we decided to drive so we both requested a few extra days on both ends of our actual vacation. But then I found a killer deal on airfare and because of the way airfare works (as in cheaper to fly some days vs. others)...I decided it was best to add on a night on each end of the trip. Even with the excellent discounts we were getting I didn't want to spend the money on two extra nights at Art of Animation so...I picked Shades of Green for the first night...and All Star Movies for the end. Easy!

So a little before 2pm on Monday afternoon we found ourselves in the much familiar lobby of All Star Movies. We still have credits left on our bands so I encouraged my husband to either take Vivien around and see some of the buildings or maybe just hang out in the food court. I'd catch up with him in what I assumed would be about 30 min. There were only 6 other people in line at the Online Check In area. So how bad could it be?

Since there was only a few people in line ahead of me you can imagine how I felt when I walked away from the counter with a room assignment at 3:30.

Yes. 3:30. It took over an hour and half to get checked in. To check into a room I had already checked into I might add.

There were no CMs standing by to check people in with iPads like we had at Art of Animation, and even simple questions, like "Can't we just link the meal credits to these bands?" and "I'd like to check out at 4pm tomorrow." Seemed to overwhelm the staff and I ended up in a "Special" line. I certainly didn't feel special at this point.

In the end I walked away with room assignment, the new set of bands and a promise that "Someone" would call with directions on our check out. We were mostly frustrated because we had an ADR and Fastpass+ set up for that evening at Hollywood Studios. We'd purposely eaten lunch and headed to All Star Movies when we did so we could take a nap and start resting. I knew my husband was exhausted by this point so I was concerned about the rest of the night.

I found my husband and we headed off to our room in the 101 Dalmatians room.

I was pleased to see that they've redecorated a bit and we were greeted in the standard Disney way:
DSCN1076_zps91ca0b3f.jpg

New TV stand/dressers from our last trip in 2011:
DSCN1077_zps6784b709.jpg

Table:
DSCN1078_zps14837fbf.jpg

Pretty sure the border is also new:
DSCN1079_zps806da969.jpg

Definitely new stuff in the bathroom:
DSCN1081_zps7004c328.jpg

After checking the room out I called Bell Services to see about our bags and make sure they had the room assignment. Then when I got off the phone it rang again, this time it was the desk to tell me that we were good to check out at 5 the next day and not 4. Since the Magic Express would leave at 6 this was a good thing. They added that the manager had said there would be no charge. So that was nice-considering that I made a complaint (mostly about the wait in line, but also about the inability to answer any basic questions about my stay without calling in another cast member, who had to step away from the people she was helping) to the manager as I was leaving the desk.

My husband and daughter were fast asleep at this point so I took the time to read and catch up on the internet a bit.

Around 5:00 I decided it was time to wake everyone and get started on the evening. We had a 7pm ADR at Hollywood Brown Derby that I'd been looking forward to. Plus Fastpass+ for Rockin Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania and Fantasmic. And I wanted to take my daughter to see the lights too! A fun night!

I went ahead and got ready myself, just freshened up because these two were fast asleep.

IMG_3105_zps0ccdcbec.jpg

But by the time I was ready they still weren't up. So I tried to wake up my husband and nothing. Non-responsive. At one point I checked to make sure he was breathing.

I was growing anxious, and angry and just frustrated. I almost left to go on my own. But I stopped myself. We'd had a great trip so far, but it had clearly been a little too tiring. It was time to step back and relax for the night.

I called Disney dining and was honest about it and said I just didn't think we were going to make it. The CM was lovely and offered to push things back a few hours but I decided to just skip it. He didn't even charge me!

Finally they woke up, at pretty much the same time but still not in enough time to make our Fastpass+ window for the first one. I told my husband what time it was and he was kind of upset about sleeping so long. We talked and he thanked me for changing plans a bit, even if that left us with a huge amount of meal credits (we had saved 4 for our signature meal that night) for the night and nothing to do!

We talked for a bit about seeing if maybe Ohana or Kona had anything available and maybe eating there, then catching fireworks. Or maybe checking to see if Artist Point had any availability since going to a park was a little overwhelming because they were so tired. But we decided to just stick to walking distance and headed over to the food court. I even left the camera behind, so maybe I was tired too?

We ordered a large pizza-2 credits. And the salmon and a meatball sub for the other two. We also got only rice krispy treats as desserts and a few drinks to go. Obviously this was way too much food-but we had a lot of credits to go through that were going to expire in just a few hours.

The food was good, nothing overly noteworthy but nothing bad either. Good food.

After we ate, we went back to the room and just relaxed. I'm pretty sure we were in bed fairly early that night!

Love all your pics! :)

Thanks! This is my first trip report and I have to say that I've really enjoyed writing it up. Even if I'm back to spending my free time thinking about when next to go to Disney. We're thinking about booking a trip for late 2015-but maybe switching it up a bit and doing a sort of land and sea thing Half a week at Shades of Green and half a week on a cruise! :yay:

I'll obviously keep details posted somewhere here once we make a decision.

I guess they were tired!! The picture with your daughter and her stuffed animals is precious!!

I guess they were tired!! The picture with your daughter and her stuffed animals is precious!!

I love how she wraps herself up with all her favorites! Woody & Buzz didn't leave her side for a little over a month. She just recently went back to her old favorite bunny. So I guess impluse buying Woody as we were leaving the dance party was not such a bad idea after all!

We woke up really early on our last Disney morning. Early enough to seriously consider buying just one more ticket each and heading over to Animal Kingdom for the day. Our flight didn't leave until 8:00pm so we could have probably done that and what we needed to at Downtown Disney and still made it on time for the Magic Express.

But we decided that the discounts weren't great enough for a one-day ticket that we wouldn't get at least a full day out of-at best we were thinking on leaving right after lunch. So we took advantage of a late morning and had a bit of a lie in.

We finally wandered up to the food court around 8am and had some breakfast. I didn't take pictures, but I found the receipt in my purse (today actually) and I see that we both got the Bounty Platter and some chocolate milks on the side. The milk we ran back to the room and stuck in the fridge before heading over to the bus stop. This is why I love 101 Dalmations building. Sure it's a bit more but that little path that takes you around the lobby building is lovely to make some quick short cuts!

Anyways...that's about the time our luck with the Disney buses ran out.

We waited.

And waited...
DSCN1087_zps9a28921f.jpg

And waited some more.

But eventually a bus came and we headed out. We managed to get there quickly and we headed off for some shopping.

First up we went to the Christmas Store where once again I hummed and hawed about the Mickey Nutcrackers...but decided that I'd save our money and I bought a single ornament-it's all black and it caught my eye because it was on a rack of some that had been "personalized" with the year. I'm guessing this was because there were next to no 2013 ornaments left over. But I liked it and thought it was worth the "extra" $3. I just wish I'd taken a photo of it. But here's one I found online that's not mine:

Then we spotted this bad-boy:
Disney-Parks-30-Piece-Christmas-Train-Set-NEW-p175172.jpg

Image was the result of a Google Image search because I didn't think to take photos.

Anyways both my husband and I fell in love and decided we had to have that too. The box is huge though so we opted to have it shipped. The CM sort of popped our bubble though and added two facts:
1) At that date there was no guarantee that it would arrive by Christmas
2) Shipping would be $92.

Um? No. Maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) if there was some sort of guarantee. But I'm not paying that much for something I may not have in time for Christmas.

So we moved on...
DSCN1088_zps01f6d442.jpg

We wandered around sort of aimlessly and took in the sights.
DSCN1090_zps99575b11.jpg

DSCN1091_zpsf16b1483.jpg

We went into Mickey's Pantry...I had a gift in mind for a friend and wanted to check out the spice selection.

Ultimately I bought some spices and teas in small packets to use as stocking stuffers for my husband, mother and sister. I got bought myself some of these:
400137159808.jpg

I bought them based on a friends recommendation. I also wanted to get her some, but spotted these instead:
disney-parks-christmas-holiday-coffee.jpg

Both images are from Google Image searches.

Since it was close to Christmas I thought they'd make a sweeter gift so I got some for my friend.

And some for me too. I have to say that so far (And I've been pacing myself) they are fantastic little coffees! There's enough in each tiny can to make about 4 cups in my Keurig. It's great souvenir I think!

We stopped in Once Upon a Toy and stuff one of these for my daughter for Christmas and one for my niece...
fillapotato.jpg

While in there my husband checked out the display of trains and other sets they had. I stopped by after I arranged the shipping on the Potato Heads (which was under $10 each so not too shabby) and asked him what he thought the high pitched squeaking was. He pointed to the Christmas train and went over to it and shut it off for a second. "It's this train you wanted."

Boy did we dodge a bullet on that one! I have no idea if they all squeak like that, or that one was poorly maintained but I felt better about not getting it after all!

Then we decided it was close enough to our ADR time that we could start heading over towards Pleasure Island. We got to Raglan Road a little after 12 noon but there was no line and the hostesses said they could get us in.

Which was nice because the place was deserted. But more on that next entry...

Now I have to say it was our first time there, but I don't think we'll be back. I know they have live music at dinner and I wasn't surprised that they didn't have any during lunch but it was really really quiet in there. For a Pub themed restaurant you'd think they'd at least have something playing, even the radio would have been nice.

The sat us off to the side and the waitress came over quickly to help us with the menu and get our drinks. She explained that since we were on the Dining Plan we could only get an entree and dessert, no appetizer. Which is not the case at most table service but I didn't want to fight about food we didn't really need.

I ordered the Gnocchi Sea, Gnocchi Do. And I think my husband got the salmon. We also got a side of broccoli for the little one.

Our drinks came...
DSCN1095_zpsd18c884f.jpg

And about 15 minutes later the bread came
DSCN1098_zpse496aefc.jpg

And then we waited. And waited. I was glad I decided to grab the old iPhone I keep nothing but movies on for my daughter so she didn't get too bored. About half an hour after we ordered our food came:

DSCN1102_zps5d474cc1.jpg

I didn't bother taking a photo of my husbands (so there's a chance he didn't get the salmon actually but I assure you he ate.) and didn't take too many of mine. But it was truly lovely. The little gnocchi were soft and fluffy, and everything was just cooked perfectly. It's actually a fairly light sauce and I don't recall it being overly heavy or saucy. Just really good.

We ate and the waitress was great, and attentive. All was well, it was kind of nice having the restaurant to ourselves.

Shortly after we finished she came by to offer desserts. We decided on the Dundon's Delight and the bread pudding. And again we waited. And waited.

But eventually they came out and we were pleased with the results.

Bread pudding:
DSCN1105_zps135c71a3.jpg

Dundon's delight:
DSCN1106_zpsc01fdd35.jpg

By this time there were two more tables, but it was still mostly empty. So we ate and enjoyed the food.

And then we waited. And waited. And you see where I'm going with this. At 2:00pm I decided that I'd had enough of trying to contain our two year old and headed outside. I told the hostess that if she could locate our waitress that'd be great because I was leaving my husband to take care of the check since we'd been waiting about 20 min for her. My daughter and I went outside and checked out the fountain while we waited.

DSCN1108_zps16518413.jpg

It wasn't 5 minutes before my husband came out so I guess talking to the hostess did the trick.

Overall it was a great meal and the actual service itself was great. But at 2 hours...it's just too long for lunch. Especially a lunch at Disney.

We had to check out by 5pm and be at the bus stop for 5:15 so really we didn't have too much time on our hands at this point. We figured we needed to be on the bus at 3. So we headed off in that direction.

But wanted to see if Santa's line had shrunk since earlier...it hadn't.

DSCN1109_zps4a4a0bcc.jpg

So we said "HI" to Olaf and headed over to Goofy's to pick up some treats for the plane ride home.

After that it was pretty much down hill from there. Bus ride back to the hotel. I sent the husband off with my daughter and told him to wear her out so she'd sleep on the plane. They took some photos though...

DSCN1118_zpsf93e8438.jpg

She's still holding her Monster's Inc cake pop there.

DSCN1129_zps3b05121d.jpg

She looks so small here!

Meanwhile I packed up. Even though we brought an extra suitcase and shipped most of our stuff back it was still difficult to get it all back in the bags. But of course I did and soon after they were back and we were dragging ourselves back to the Magic Express bus stop.

One came about 10 min early and we were super excited.

Not. :lmao:

But because we didn't have a choice we hopped on and were soon on our way back to MCO.

It wasn't an easy ride though. First we had to stop at all the All Star resorts. Then at the Caribbean. Which was just to make a U-turn. Then we picked up some people at the Coronado and hung out there for a good 10 min doing nothing. Then we drove around the parking lot at Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney for a bit before heading back over to Hollywood Studios to take a tour of that parking lot.

By this time rush hour traffic is in full swing so of course we got stuck there too. We finally arrived at our terminal at MCO around 6:50. Which is around the time the bus driver hit a post and checked the bus itself but didn't think to find security. Which was probably a good thing because the poor guy behind us had a 7pm flight. In all honesty though...if I wasn't sort of leaning towards renting a car now that we've got a child with us at Disney...I was after that Magic Express trip. I've used it every time I've been as an adult and it's always gotten me to the airport in plenty of time for everything-including getting something to eat.

We very nearly missed the cut off for checking in our luggage. Not sure what would have happened with that but we did make it. We were flying Spirt and knew that they are notorious for having a zero tolerance for people being late so we sprinted to security then from the monorail to the gate. We made it just in time.

And we made it home, with just a little crying from our dear little one.

Once back to our car we were greeted by this:
IMG_3122_zps5ee84e8a.jpg

Well not really greeted by it. That was taken after we banged and punched at a bunch of the ice. Remember that ice storm we "barely" missed on the way out of town...well it apparently left a calling card since we missed it.

Not sure if I mentioned it either...but "Home" is Dallas Texas, we had an ice scrapper but obviously it wasn't something that could help with this. We ended up using our fists to break it up. It was more or less a solid sheet of 3 inch thick ice.

Somehow though we got it done, and we were home and snug in our beds by 1am. Which overall isn't too bad at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter