It's starting to sink in.... and I'm feeling a little nervous

natenkate

Earning My Ears
lol not nervous about being there, but it's my very first trip (29, almost 30 y/o) as well as my son's first (9y/o) and it's just the two of us! Neither of us have even been on a plane and it's the first for that as well!

I have been talking to a lady I work with and she is helping me out, she's been a ton of times, and i've been lurking these boards for about 6 months since I booked and I've gathered a ton of info. I also purchased the unofficial 2012 guide book, but I still feel lost. I am just afraid I am going to get there and be SOO overwhelmed. And I'm a little afraid that my son, who can be a bit of a complainer, is going to whine about being hot (we are going in August) and not wanting to walk.

I have decided to get up early every day, and take breaks in the afternoon. We have park hoppers, water parks, and DDP.

I know everything will be fine once we get there, I'm just being a crazy person I'm sure :crazy:

Sounds like my situation from a few years ago. My first trip alone with my DD who was 10. Best thing you can do is just gather as much info as you can and once you get there just let loose and have fun! :thumbsup2 Is your trip coming up? how long are you staying? I remember we were so excited, we couldnt even follow the plans we made. Just went where we wanted, and ran around like crazy mad people! Talking about it has me getting excited about it all over. I guess it dont hurt that we have another trip planned for later this month.

It's August 15th and we are staying for 10 days at Pop! I know, I am so excited I just want to burst. I have wanted to go to WDW all my life, and now I am so psyched that I am going with my boy!

Thanks for your help and enjoy your trip!

O wow! So you will have plenty of time so see and do alot! Thats awesome that you will be able to share such a great trip with your boy. I bet he is just as excited as you. Go crazy the first few days and have a blast but dont forget to take your time and check eveything out. Our first trip was over the July 4th week two years ago and loved it so much we are going on our 5th trip this month.

It's August 15th and we are staying for 10 days at Pop! I know, I am so excited I just want to burst. I have wanted to go to WDW all my life, and now I am so psyched that I am going with my boy!

You will have a great time!! The Unofficial Guides are fabulous and give you great information. It won't seem so overwhelming when you are there. I have three sons (10, 8, and 5) who can also be complainers and they are always wonderful in Disney. They love it. You do have a good amount of time down there, so take your time and enjoy! :)

PS My boys LOVE Epcot, it is their fave park!!

No problems. With a 10 day stretch, you will be a pro by the end and look back with wonder at it all. We are going on July 28 but just for the day. Talk about cramming some things in.....

You're so lucky, you've got all those firsts in front of you!!!

- the first time you get on the airport 'monorail'
- first ride on DME
- first time you step into the lobby at your resort
- first ride
- first night, walking into your first park
- sitting down to the first meal, knowing you have you whole vacation in front of you
- first Wishes

I could go on and on... I think you're well prepared - for your first visit to a park, follow the Unofficial touring plan until you get the lay of the land, then on your second visit, take your time, enjoy the details you missed the first time.

Have a magical trip! :wizard:

Listen to your limits and you'll do just fine. Don't feel like you have to do/see/experience it all. If you are hot, take a break, get cool, and head back out. Hungry? Stop to eat. Tired? Call it a day and go to bed early.

As long as you pay attention to what you need to do to stay relaxed, hydrated and rested everything else will fall into place.
My best memories from all of our trips are the things I didn't plan. They just happened while I was on my way to something else.
Enjoy the magic.. it will be everywhere you look:wizard:

How exciting, all those "firsts"!!:goodvibes Yes, as the previous posters said "listen to your bod", it's going to be very hot and humid-take breaks, drinks lots of H2O!! Your son is going to be too happy and psyched to complain all that much-just make sure he stays hydrated! We're checking into Pop on the 20th -Ill be thinkin of ya!:thumbsup2

thanks for your suggestions, they make sense. I kept thinking I want to rush to see everything because I will probably never be back, but everyone says to me "oh, you'll be back." So, I can make that something to look forward to, and just take it slow on this trip.

I agree that the best trip was the unplanned trip. These boards and the books can make a first time trip overwhelming! The first time I went as an adult with my family, we just...went! Didn't know anything about having a touring plan or, Disboards. BEST trip EVER!!! Don't let other people's "must-dos" become yours, I have been disappointed many times by getting caught up in all of the must-dos and felt like I needed a vacation after the vacation was over. Now I know better - I only make a few ADRs and it's ok to not have each day planned out. Sometimes my kids want to sleep in, sometimes they want to leave the park to go swimming. You get to spend 10 days there?! Enjoy. If you miss something, you can always plan another trip back!

thanks for your suggestions, they make sense. I kept thinking I want to rush to see everything because I will probably never be back, but everyone says to me "oh, you'll be back." So, I can make that something to look forward to, and just take it slow on this trip.

Natenkate...I am soooo excited for you!!!!

Ten days?!?! That will be more than enough time for you and your son to do and see everything you could possibly want. The longest we have ever stayed has been 7 days and we've been there 7 times in the last 16 years(our first trip was only 5 nights).

Promise us that you will tell us all about it when you get back, okay?

You're so lucky, you've got all those firsts in front of you!!!

- the first time you get on the airport 'monorail'
- first ride on DME
- first time you step into the lobby at your resort
- first ride
- first night, walking into your first park
- sitting down to the first meal, knowing you have you whole vacation in front of you
- first Wishes

I could go on and on... I think you're well prepared - for your first visit to a park, follow the Unofficial touring plan until you get the lay of the land, then on your second visit, take your time, enjoy the details you missed the first time.

Have a magical trip! :wizard:

Peaseblossum...*this* is a beautiful post. It conveys the heart of why many of us became Disney-addicts!

Your list of "firsts" is exactly the stuff I crave from a WDW experience. The only part that you left out was the sad part...getting back on that airport monorail on your way home or the sad ride on the Magical Express heading to the airport. But hey...there's always that *next* visit that's right around the corner!!!!

The most important thing I can tell you as someone who just went for their first time in December is this: Try to remember you don't have to and can't do it all! Take your time, enjoy everything you see, take pictures or do silly things like run through splash fountains. Get Mickey ears. Eat a Mickey bar! Let your son's choices be your guide because even though the trip is for both of you, this is going to be something he remembers all his life!

More practically though? If you're not a regular walker - start walking. Practice in the heat because that will acclimate both of you to the temps. Keep in mind that people walk upwards of 5 miles a day at WDW sometimes! Get your body and your mind ready for all of it.

Also start a box and put it somewhere in your house. Every time you think "Oh this would be good for WDW" go put it in the box! Do a practice run in packing. Remember you can do laundry on-site! (not fun, but it saves on the packing)

And try to relax, you're going to Disney World :)

I always went with my family growing up. Now that I am 24 this is the first trip I will be taking without my family...which is basically us following my father like a pack as ducks through the airports to a convenient rental car lol. Instead I will be on my own with my map leading me to the magical express that will take us to our magical destination. It will be me and my BF who is 28 but has never been on an airplane before!!! :eek::banana: These words are encouraging and help me feel a little less anxious of being "head honcho" :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter