It's Official: last year of Osborne Lights

yulilin3

DIS Veteran
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...a-delightful-holiday-tradition-one-more-time/
As you plan ahead, we also wanted you to know that this holiday season will mark the finale for The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. The display of lights has enjoyed a successful run at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, going all the way back to when it first appeared on Residential Street.

In order to prepare for some incredible experiences coming to the park, including the recently announced Toy Story Land and a Star Wars-themed land, we will not be able to present The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights in the future. Our heartfelt thanks go out to the family of Jennings Osborne for letting us share their family tradition year after year. And thank you to all of you for being part of the spectacle with us. Here’s to making more memories in this, the 20th and final year.

EDIT TO ADD: The Osborne Lights are shown every night starting Nov. 6th thru Jan. 3rd from 6pm to one hour after park closing except November 17th for the CM party, park closes at 4pm and December 9th park closes at 6pm.

Last edited:

DH cursing when i read this to him... we are on the fence about our holiday in december due to abysmal canadian dollar. he has *almost* convinced me we should not go and wait. the cursing wasn't because it was leaving (which sucks) but because i will now have one more piece of ammo to throw at him! lol! :P

i told him we should pay in full NOW.... before dollar drops any further....

We have no plans to go to Disney this year. We live about 3 hours away. Are the lights worth the expense of a weekend trip (one day tickets, hotel, etc)? It is probably the only way I could squeeze it in. I have a son, 11, and daughter, 8. Thanks!

We went for the first time last year and absolutely LOVED them. We splurged on the dessert party and I'm glad we did b/c we got to sit there and really listen to the music and the story behind the Osborne Lights. The story is wonderful and the family behind the story is amazing.

I'm so glad we will be down this Nov/Dec to see them one last time. I'm not a cryer but I will definitely cry. What am I saying I'm getting all teary right now.

I told my husband I would love to be there for the last lighting in Jan. I bet that will be a very emotional moment for a ton of people.

To all I say go. Learn the story about the Lights before you go as it adds to the experience. You can catch the beginning and watch Goofy turn on the lights but the crowds thin out if you go later. Grab a hot cocoa, look for the hidden Mickeys and that darn black cat, and just have fun playing in the "snow".

Last edited:

Hey gang, Tristan here, yes sadly the lights will be coming to an end after the 2015 Holiday Season. My family sat down with the directors of the lights last night, and we were told that this year is going to be the biggest and best year for the lights as a final blow-out and the 20th year celebration. There are currently no plans to move the lights to any portion of HS or any other park on Disney property. (In fact we were given and inventory sheet of the items in the lights that belong to our family, which further cements the fact that they will never again be displayed on Disney property.)

While the family is sad that the lights will be leaving Disney, we are so very happy that we had the chance to spend 20 years lighting up HS and the many, many people we were able to meet and make their lives brighter after seeing the lights.

We hope you'll join us for one last hurrah, before the streets go dark. And don't worry I'm sure Disney will fill the void with something equally as magical as the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights was for the last 20 years!

-Tris

We loved the Osborne lights. We were definitely in awe. We are going this December for Christmas. So happy we will see them for one last time.

I actually started crying over this. It may be stupid, but I did.
I know, I know, the parks are all about growth and change and they're not stagnant objects, but Disney keeps taking and taking when it comes to amazing holiday displays.

I can't imagine the holidays without them, and I'll find myself going to them A LOT this season.
Thank goodness I live down the street!

Hey gang, Tristan here, yes sadly the lights will be coming to an end after the 2015 Holiday Season. My family sat down with the directors of the lights last night, and we were told that this year is going to be the biggest and best year for the lights as a final blow-out and the 20th year celebration. There are currently no plans to move the lights to any portion of HS or any other park on Disney property. (In fact we were given and inventory sheet of the items in the lights that belong to our family, which further cements the fact that they will never again be displayed on Disney property.)

While the family is sad that the lights will be leaving Disney, we are so very happy that we had the chance to spend 20 years lighting up HS and the many, many people we were able to meet and make their lives brighter after seeing the lights.

We hope you'll join us for one last hurrah, before the streets go dark. And don't worry I'm sure Disney will fill the void with something equally as magical as the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights was for the last 20 years!

-Tris

Thank you for the details Tristan. Your family created something pretty amazing here that will never be forgotten. I believe I read before you come down every year and have dinner with the crew. I hope your family has a wonderful trip and final experience at the lights.

We have no plans to go to Disney this year. We live about 3 hours away. Are the lights worth the expense of a weekend trip (one day tickets, hotel, etc)? It is probably the only way I could squeeze it in. I have a son, 11, and daughter, 8. Thanks!

Yes, worth it at least once as there is nothing else 'anywhere' to compare to the 'WOW' factor! We've seen it about 4 times, and the best was the first few times - before it got 'too' popular and you had to be herded through like cattle!:headache:
There was no path to wander through and you could just go to the beginning, watch them throw the switch and enjoy without being totally mobbed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter