• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's official - I'm Disneyed out!

jenandkam

Mouseketeer
We just got back a week ago from a 2 week trip to the World. I'm sad to say that I don't think I will be going back. :eek:

There's just no magic left for me - or for the kids. It was a fun trip, we rode the rides, saw the sights, ate the food, etc., but it's just not worth the money anymore. The whole place is in need of a MAJOR overhaul IMO. The rides were breaking down and are extremely outdated (not the classics, of course, but the others) and the food is slipping big time.

I still love all things Disney and wouldn't hesitate to do another Disney Cruise, but I think WDW is scratched off of our list for quite awhile, if not forever....

We just got back a week ago from a 2 week trip to the World. I'm sad to say that I don't think I will be going back. :eek:

There's just no magic left for me - or for the kids. It was a fun trip, we rode the rides, saw the sights, ate the food, etc., but it's just not worth the money anymore. The whole place is in need of a MAJOR overhaul IMO. The rides were breaking down and are extremely outdated (not the classics, of course, but the others) and the food is slipping big time.

I still love all things Disney and wouldn't hesitate to do another Disney Cruise, but I think WDW is scratched off of our list for quite awhile, if not forever....

I think our upcoming trip will be our last so we can visit other places.

This should be interesting.
popcorn::

Sorry to hear that, OP. Vacations and entertainment are personal decisions; if the magic isn't there for you, you absolutely should take a few years away, or just go elsewhere from now on.

It's not meant to be interesting, just an expression of my sadness that the magic just isn't there for me anymore.

I have been to The World a total of 7 times.

Yeah I understand,
I only go every three years or so. More because I don't want to spend the money than to keep it fresh. I can't imagine how people who go several times a year not get burned out?
I'm sure I'll take the kids a couple times while they are young, but then I can see US becoming more and more popular with our trips.

OP, I'm pretty close to there too. I'm not saying I'll never go back - I know in time the bug will bite, and I really am looking forward to the FLE opening and trying Art of Animation - but I'm at a point where I'm very content with small weekender trips every now and then for special events rather than touring all the parks and staying a full week the way we used to. Part of it is a been there, done that feeling but the bigger part is that I find myself thinking "I don't remember so many breakdowns back when..." and "Gah, what happened to "slow season"?" a little too often. The magic is alive and well for my youngest, though, so I'm still looking at ways to get a little Disney here and there without making it our main travel destination.

We're doing something very different for 2013 - 10 days in Southern California, including 4 days exploring Disneyland. Cars Land looks awesome and we've never been to the west coast parks, so it is a change of pace while still giving DD3 a Disney adventure to look forward to (and if our dates fall into place the way I hope, we'll be starting the DLR leg of the trip on her birthday :) ).

I started to feel that way at the end of my last trip last Sept. I had been 3 times in the past year and did seem a bit burnt out from the usual stuff.

However I now have a trip planned in early Dec to see the Christmas stuff and in May 2013 to catch the end of the flower and garden and early SWW... and I'm super excited again!!

There are times we feel like that too, and honestly the prices are really starting to make it feel a lot worse, so we'll see what our future holds. We've gone every year for the past 6 years or so, and I went a lot as a kid, but I seem to be the only one left pushing for the trips (and the rise in prices are certainly making it hard to justify), so we'll have to see what happens after this year.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Perhaps in time you'll feel the pull back, and if not, that's okay too. When the magic/shine/fun/interest in anything is gone then it's time to move on and find something new.

Hope it's just a temporary loss and you'll be back someday!

For our family we have a trip to WDW planned in 2015, followed by a trip to DL in Dec/16. After that we want to go and see a combo of Nascar/greyhound racing, if we can find a city that has both during the time that we want to go. I am not that big of a fan of WDW, if only for the large cost of it (living on the west coast it's going to cost us $14000 over 15 days, including a side trip to Baltimore, but that extra side trip is less than a $1000 of the total cost):eek::eek::eek:. Our family want's to do WDW once, and am saving up the money for the trip for the family, but for me personally I'd rather do DL, as it's far less expensive, since we live closer to it. But that's just my opinion, as the principle saver of the family.:coffee:

I think it sounds wise for you to take a break from Disney. Even if it is forever. You've been seven times and that's fantastic. Some people could go 77 and it still wouldn't be enough which is also fantastic. But we are so blessed to live in a country with so many sights to see. I will be taking my family back for their 2nd trip. They're glad to go, but not jumpong up and down. They would be just as happy with a week at the beach or Schlitterbahn and Seaworld. They would enjoy camping at the Grand Canyon, Colorado Springs, Co., or Yellowstone. Heck, they would even like a trip to NYC to see the Broadway shows. I think its fantastic that you are wise enough to see that your kids want more out of their vacations than the mouse and are willing to explore those options. I'll probably have to do that after this trip too. :( sad for me. (I'm one of the ones who could go 77 times!)

I agree, I was not gonna go back this year. However my daughter who has spent the last 18 of 24 months at sea (US Navy) ask me to take her back to Mickey Land when her ship came back in. So we went for 10 days. I expect next trip will be with grandkids someday.

OP, I'm pretty close to there too. I'm not saying I'll never go back - I know in time the bug will bite, and I really am looking forward to the FLE opening and trying Art of Animation - but I'm at a point where I'm very content with small weekender trips every now and then for special events rather than touring all the parks and staying a full week the way we used to. Part of it is a been there, done that feeling but the bigger part is that I find myself thinking "I don't remember so many breakdowns back when..." and "Gah, what happened to "slow season"?" a little too often. The magic is alive and well for my youngest, though, so I'm still looking at ways to get a little Disney here and there without making it our main travel destination.

We're doing something very different for 2013 - 10 days in Southern California, including 4 days exploring Disneyland. Cars Land looks awesome and we've never been to the west coast parks, so it is a change of pace while still giving DD3 a Disney adventure to look forward to (and if our dates fall into place the way I hope, we'll be starting the DLR leg of the trip on her birthday :) ).

This is us to a T! We're going for a long weekend in Oct. so we can experience MNSSHP and F&W, staying at AoA, but don't have plans for another WDW trip any time soon. However, we are also looking at a 10 day CA trip in 2013 or 2014 to check out DL for the first time and also to spend a few days in San Diego.

We just went on our first cruise (not Disney) in Feb. and we'll definitely be doing more of those.

I know how you feel! :) we have been every year from 2005-2009 then we bought our first home so haven't been since. When we last went in 2009 I had not wanted to go back again, there was no sparkle left, we had seen it all and done it all so was quite glad to not be going back. But last year me and DH started talking about holiday for 2012 and we settled on WDW!!! I'm super excited but glad we have had a few years away, I'm hoping the sparkle comes back when we go!:)

Disney appears to be hell-bent on finding out how much they can raise prices while cutting back on service before people stop coming.

It seems in your case, they've accomplished their goal.

I'm sure their accountants are telling them this smart, but I doubt they'll be as happy when this is over as they'd have been if they'd made buckets of money.

Before you give up on orlando...if you haven't yet, try a Uni vacation. It's a whole new world over there. And it's fun.

I went 7 times in about 10 years and by the last trip WDW was starting to lose some of it's thrill for me. Still had a good time but the magic just wasn't there any more. So I took a break. It was only intended to be 3 or 4 years and ended up being 13! But now I'm planning a trip with my best friend to celebrate both of us turning 50 this year and I'm super excited!!!
The magic is definitely back full force and I can't wait to get there!

So maybe the OP will feel the same way a couple years down the road. And if not, that's okay too. There's lots of other amazing vacation destinations out there!

funny I feel the same way *I am Disneyed out* after our every other year trip.but give yourself about 4 to 6 months,.,you will be planning again!

I would go to uni for a day for HOP, but otherwise.unless your a roller coaster nut, their isnt much there........after 3 one day stops over the years.......we dont expect to go back except for a Grand kids trip to see HOP again.
AKK

OP, I agree with your decision completely. I have had the chance once in my life to visit WDW two years in a row. That second visit, it felt like some of the magic was gone. I noticed chipped paint, broken animatronics, etc., etc.
Our last trip back in December was one of the most magical visits I've ever had. I truly believe one of the reason was that I hadn't been in over five years.
We had to opportunity to return this December and I almost did it. But we decided to do something else this time around. WDW will still be there when we're ready to go back, and IMHO, it will be all the better for the time we have spent away from it.

That's us too. We went to Disney quite often because it has rides that I can actually ride (health issues) and rides for my son. But with the price increase, food not what it used to be and really nothing new and exciting for the older crowd (I'm talking teens and up) we've scratched it from our list. Went to Universal once, when they mailed out free/super cheap tickets (cost us $50 total to get in!) and we all hated it. So we'll be planning trips to other places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter