It's Official: AVATAR breaks ground at Disney's Animal Kingdom

At the time the original movie was in theaters the first sequel was supposed to be shown in 2012, that has moved many times and is now projected for 2017, will it move again? No script work have yet been starred for it.

Actually they are projected 2016-2018... Each year a new film. Whether that happens is of course still debatable

At the time the original movie was in theaters the first sequel was supposed to be shown in 2012, that has moved many times and is now projected for 2017, will it move again? No script work have yet been starred for it.

Oh and the script work comment is not entirely accurate. Cameron is writing the scripts fair 2 & 3 now... But yes, they are not finished... They have been started.

I don't get the negativity - this means more new things to experience and as a previous poster mentioned - Pandora at night could be awesome! There is a reason that the stores selling those 3D tvs have Avatar running on them in store. You don't have to like the movie to enjoy rides or experiences. How many people like Splash Mountain but never even saw the movie it is based on? Whether or not you care about the Avatar story-line, it does fit at Animal Kingdom since the underlying theme is conservation. I loved the movie but my husband didn't, but we are both looking forward to what those talented imagineers will come up with!

I don't get the negativity - this means more new things to experience and as a previous poster mentioned - Pandora at night could be awesome! There is a reason that the stores selling those 3D tvs have Avatar running on them in store. You don't have to like the movie to enjoy rides or experiences. How many people like Splash Mountain but never even saw the movie it is based on? Whether or not you care about the Avatar story-line, it does fit at Animal Kingdom since the underlying theme is conservation. I loved the movie but my husband didn't, but we are both looking forward to what those talented imagineers will come up with!

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

Although you better check with mice chat to see if it is going to be good or not. Actually it probably isn't happening because they said it won't.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. Although you better check with mice chat to see if it is going to be good or not. Actually it probably isn't happening because they said it won't.
Yeah mice chat is gonna say its just gonna end up being an empty pit of dirt because the project will never succeed or something crazy.

How dare you question King Cameron and his Dis apostles. They demand we drink the Avatar kool aid or else.

Oh and the script work comment is not entirely accurate. Cameron is writing the scripts fair 2 & 3 now... But yes, they are not finished... They have been started.

Certainly. Cameron's track record for meeting schedules is so great :rotfl2:

What is great is his ability to produce projects that are some of the finest works in the industry.

He delayed Avatar sequels to take a 7-mile trip into the ocean, part of info gathering for these sequels. This is the deepest part of the earth, nobody has gone this deep in over 50 years, and they couldn't get footage while there at the time. He had a sub designed and created so that he could do this.

It wasn't him just not wanting to get to work on filming a movie.

Thank you for showing us you can use google. ;)

I understand you have an intense dislike for everything Disney and now Disney-related, but millions upon millions of people around the world love Avatar.

I'm sure if the almighty Universal was taking this on as a project, you'd be first in line to sing their praises.

I don't see what all the negativity is about. Whether you like the movie Avatar or not, it's hard to deny that the visuals are great. I can see this turning into a favorite place to be at WDW for many people just because of the atmosphere. Any rides they create will be just that much better. I really hope they make a boat ride like their concept art suggested.

Now, whether this all gets finished this century is another story.

For me, the movie was only so-so but I agree the scenery was stunning. So why so many negative about the ride - Disney has always been about the story. The story for AVATAR was not great and there are so many other stories that rise above that deserve a ride. It's not so much that AVATAR was horrible but that in building it you cut out other, better IMHO, stories.

What is great is his ability to produce projects that are some of the finest works in the industry.

He delayed Avatar sequels to take a 7-mile trip into the ocean, part of info gathering for these sequels. This is the deepest part of the earth, nobody has gone this deep in over 50 years, and they couldn't get footage while there at the time. He had a sub designed and created so that he could do this.

It wasn't him just not wanting to get to work on filming a movie.

:thumbsup2

I think I read somewhere that he was doing some new technologies and was actually going to do some deep sea filming to use in the move.

Who cares about schedules? I care about good. And this guy has done something no one else has ever done that I know of: Made two films that were both cultural phenomenon, and amazingly successful. Each alone is a major accomplishment. I

t would have been much better if he had kept on schedule with both movies, wouldn't it? :rolleyes2

I also think much of the delay Cameron would cause has already taken place in the concept and design phases. Construction will not be the issue.

For me, the movie was only so-so but I agree the scenery was stunning. So why so many negative about the ride - Disney has always been about the story. The story for AVATAR was not great and there are so many other stories that rise above that deserve a ride. It's not so much that AVATAR was horrible but that in building it you cut out other, better IMHO, stories.

The story will be the world, not the movie. The storyline of the movie and characters might play a minor role, but the story will be the amazing nature of Pandora and its protection. That fits fine. Just like there is a story to Splash mountain even though people don't know the movie. The story is key to Disney, but that story doesn't have to be attached to something else.

Personally I don't think there is any property Disney or otherwise that would make a better land of make-believe than Pandora. Others, including Beastly Kingdom could have been great, but I think Pandora will be exceptional.

:thumbsup2

Personally I don't think there is any property Disney or otherwise that would make a better land of make-believe than Pandora. Others, including Beastly Kingdom could have been great, but I think Pandora will be exceptional.

This.

I mean, the Cars franchise was hardly well received by all, yet CarsLand has made an unbelieavably great addition to California Adventure. It's because the visuals of Radiator Springs were really good, and Disney was able to convert that to an immersive experience that is at least on par with Potterville, if not better.

Arguably, they can take something from Star Wars and make something even better, but I feel that with Star Wars, you're going to have to either build an expansion that is at least half the size of DHS now, or you're going to have to have a generic area with a mashup of Star Wars rides, restaurants, meet & greets, and shops.

I'd love to see a Star Wars Galaxy expansion with an area concentrating on Tatooine (Pod Races/Jabba's Palace/Mos Eisley Cantina), Coruscant (Jedi Temple-Master Yoda's Jedi Training Academy, Senate Building-restaurant, Coruscant skyline), Naboo (Theed Palace), Endor (speedracers, children's play area), and a Hyperspace section (Death Star dark ride, Millenium Falcon restaurant, X-wing vs Tie Fighter coaster/ride). Just that its hard to imagine an expansion that large done by anyone, as it would almost be an entire new park.

My understanding is that this is a bit of a myth. While certain attractions and exhibits need to be closed at certain times (or animals cycled out), there is no reason the park can't be open late. The only reason they've had it close earlier in the day is that it doesn't have enough content (attractions) to justify a longer operating day. They're adding a nighttime component to the safari, which may involve new lighting and cycling of animals. They're also adding a nighttime show somewhere in the park (presumably on the river near Everest). Personally, I'm very excited about all of this activity at DAK. It's my favorite park aesthetically, and now it will have even more for you to actually do. There's a lot of negativity about Avatar (and I REALLY hope this thread doesn't devolve into an anti-avatar rant, like most of the threads), but I think it's a brilliant choice for this park. It adds to the nighttime offerings - especially considering how beautiful it will be in the dark. Disney is all about place-making. Avatar is one of the most beautiful landscapes ever created in a movie. The plot is pretty much irrelevant in this case. The key to this whole expansion is creating a completely immersive experience for guests, and I think they'll do it.

I couldn't agree more Josh. Adding to this park is nothing but a positive, and, if done right, could be a real sight at night.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...atar-inspired-land-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

The shovels are officially in the ground. :thumbsup2

~Paging Dr.Disneymd......
~LOL. :rotfl:

Great, so that's Avatarland OPENING in 2017 - that'll probably be the restrooms and gift shops. Given Disney's recent track record we can probably expect the first E Ticket ride in 2020 :rotfl2:
~I know -- it's for [freaking] ever. But, I am still rooting for your precious StarWars land. :goodvibes

Loved the movie and look forward to this new project. I'm sure it will be amazing when complete.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

~I totally agree! :cool1:

Beer!!! Where have you been??? :lovestruc

~Now, hopefully all of the Avatarland are cancelled rumors will finally disappear! I told you (the collective you) who swore this project was cancelled, and then scaled back. It's not -- $800 million plus will be allocated for AK the expansion. :goodvibes

I have to be honest, I've never seen Avatar and probably never will but since Joe Rohde is involved with this project I'm setting my expectations very low.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter