• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's not the trip that I orginally planned for......

jodistar

DIS Veteran
I started saving for Disney World a few years ago – originally my target was my tenth wedding anniversary……but the most pleasant surprise came along while saving, I discovered I was pregnant with my second child. It was a wonderful little miracle and very much unexpected……after the previous years of a loss of a baby, trying for a few years and then finally seeking help and going through an IVF procedure (having our first after only our first try).

After having my second child, I started to save again – the 10th anniversary at Disney wasn’t going to happen, I just couldn’t save enough in time…….My game plan changed to celebrating our 11th anniversary and bringing the kids for our first trip.

In August of 2015 I reserved for the vacation at Disney for our 11th anniversary – telling almost no one…..I didn’t tell my husband, kids, or my husband’s family. The only people that I told were my best friend at work and my mom.

My husband and I did celebrate our 10th anniversary in a Disney way though --- we went to NYC to see Aladdin. I was so excited to be going, my husband and I didn’t get to spend a lot of time together – there was absolutely no balance in our life…….I felt like we were on a never ending hamster wheel.

We had one of the most magical days in NYC – we went to Madame Tussauds, had a dinner at the Hard Rock Café, and then made our way to the theatre. I had reserved the tickets with one of the Chase Disney Card package – so we got little add ons, etc. The theatre people were really nice and said – you know you can try and meet the cast after the play…….they told me what exit to take. We were lucky enough to meet James Englehart (the Genie), Jasmine, Aladdin, and Jafar.

I swear I had such a great time! I almost spilled my secret on the way home…….”you think this anniversary was one to remember…….wait until next year when we go to Disney World” but I didn’t because I had bought tie in items for Christmas and I was going to announce at Christmas that we were going (My husband always teased me because I couldn't keep my Christmas surprises until Christmas.....this year I had to).

Sadly, I now regret not saying a word………my husband very unexpectedly passed away just days later. I felt so horrible, I still do………we’ve been through so much together and now that we were getting together so much better (we had our bumps).

Everyone that I spoke the days after……..said whatever you had planned for all of you – you still need to do.

So, I contacted my travel agent and asked that we change our trip to August, explained the situation and asked that my mother be added in my husband’s place.

I know this doesn’t sound like the best trip report to follow – but I promise the sad part is over……now, the healing begins – the report will get better!

Jodi, I am so sorry for your loss. Wishing you comfort and healing as you plan this special trip. I look forward to following along on your pre- trip report. :goodvibes

Introductions (I will need to add pictures later):

Me: Mom works full-time an hour from home M-F – lives for the weekends and being able to spend time with the kids. Also, likes to be active running/going to the gym – really have to figure out of timing for that again.

My Mom: retired, takes care of my kids M-Th while I’m at work (Fridays my MIL takes care of the kids), I always wanted to go to Disney with my parents as a kid, now I have my chance. It’ll be a nice break for her and I’ll finally get one life wish fulfilled.

Elizabeth (5 now, will be 6 at the time of the trip): My cute little Diva loves everything Frozen (surprised, huh?), although, she would love if Disney made a meet and greet with Princess Leia.

She has absolutely no idea that she will be going to Disney World; this past weekend , I took her to Disney on Ice – we were literally 4 rows from where Minnie sat at one point……..my daughter said “Mommy I wish I could go up and give her a hug.” I just smiled and said “Maybe someday you will get a chance to do that.”

Michael (2): My adorable little monster…..loves Little Einstein’s , Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and playing with his cars.

It’s really been awhile since I was last at the World – I didn’t have to deal with Magicbands, and reserving FastPasses so far ahead of time……..so it’s a little trial and error for me this trip.

So about the trip:

August 16-23rd…….Staying at the POFQ – I really love the resort, although, in the first planning stages I did look into POR (the princess room)…….I was shocked to find out it was almost $500.00 more to stay there for a week – I guess that will just have to wait for another time and like I said in my previous post this was originally supposed to be my anniversary trip – anyhow, POFQ will do just fine!

Although, you know we all have those secret wishes of showing up at your resort and being told they’d like to upgrade you……my god, it would be so helpful staying at a hotel right on the loop (but that’s like winning the lottery – I failed at the Powerball, so I will remain thankful for just staying on property).

We do have the Disney Dining Plan (might not be the best value for me – but it was too hard to budget food…..the dining plan just makes things easier)…..I also have Memory Maker hoping for many great photos for the kids to look back on – having vacation with Mom; I realized how many few photos that were with the kids and their Father when I put together things for his funeral service, so although, I’m really not happy with the way that I look, bottom line I have to be present for my babies no matter what I look like.

Below are things that I would like to do while we were at the World (any ideas of how I might be able to pamper me and my mom while there – please share).

• BBB (for my daughter)

• First Haircut for Michael (it’s going to be extremely long but I really want his first cut to be there)

• Pick a Pearl

• Character Dining --- Crystal Palace, O’Hana, Cinderella’s Royal Table, Akershus

• Nice dinner at LeCelliar, although, I’m not sure if people would frown upon bringing young children there – I do have very good kids but any kid that is over stimulated may not act their best. Thoughts? Is there maybe another restaurant that would work better for all of us? I have a lot of menus to look at, lol.

Last edited:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think you are an amazing person planning this trip for your kids and your mom (and yourself). I hope it is very healing and most of all I hope it is joyful! I'm sure it will be.

I love what your daughter said at Disney on Ice, that is adorable, she is going to love it so much. That is just the perfect age especially for the girls, they are so into all of the princess stuff and all that.

I love POFQ. It's friendly, easy to get around, and has such a fun atmosphere. :cool1:

Le Cellier always has kids, you'd be fine there. I think it's a good choice, not too fancy, but nice. The gardens are so pretty on the walk to the restaurant. :goodvibes

I love POFQ. It's friendly, easy to get around, and has such a fun atmosphere. :cool1:

Le Cellier always has kids, you'd be fine there. I think it's a good choice, not too fancy, but nice. The gardens are so pretty on the walk to the restaurant. :goodvibes

POFQ -- has been my favorite, since our first time staying there, I loved the ease of getting around.

Oh good -- I was worried that Le Cellier may not be as kid friendly as others........I'm trying to visit some of the places that I was at with my husband Le Cellier was a favorite -- Love the bread sticks as well as the steak.

I would love to try England -- but there isn't much I would eat on the menu and nothing that the kids would eat. :(

POFQ -- has been my favorite, since our first time staying there, I loved the ease of getting around.

Oh good -- I was worried that Le Cellier may not be as kid friendly as others........I'm trying to visit some of the places that I was at with my husband Le Cellier was a favorite -- Love the bread sticks as well as the steak.

I would love to try England -- but there isn't much I would eat on the menu and nothing that the kids would eat. :(
I know you must treasure those memories of being at WDW with your husband. Sending a hug your way. :hug:

The breadsticks are good at Le Cellier. If you want to try England, maybe consider sharing fish and chips and/or victoria sponge from the Yorkshire County Fish shop. No commitment as it's a walk up, and very yummy. Grab a table nearby and enjoy. :flower1:
http://allears.net/dining/menu/yorkshire-county-fish-shop/lunch-dinner

So sorry for your loss... that is a great idea to continue with your Disney plans with the family.

Love POFQ! My husband and I really enjoyed the Rose & Crown Pub in England- we had the fish and chips! So good! Really, any place in World Showcase, you can't go wrong!

Following along, looking forward to your plans! :stitch:

Starting to get excited -- It's getting close to the time that we request ADR's (I'm currently 192 days from my stay).

Last week, I sent my travel agent my requests (here's the Cliff Notes Version ;)):

• Tuesday, August 16th -- Arriving at MCO at 11:16a.m. ---I plan to eat at the resort and then head to Hollywood Studios (or Disney Studios, lol-- whatever they call it).
  • Wednesday, August 17th - I plan to go to EPCOT .....I would like to get an ADR for the Princess Breakfast in Norway and then an early dinner at LeCellier.
  • Thursday, August 18th -- I plan to go to EPCOT- Resort B.F., get to the park as soon as it opens, early lunch at Whispering Canyon Café Then spending the remainder of the day at EPCOT catching the fireworks. I still have to figure out the rest period -- although, the rest in the car might be enough for everyone.
  • Friday, August 19th. --- EPCOT day -- I'd like to go to O'Hana either this morning or the morning of our departure (August 23rd), other than that I plan to do counter service this day.
  • Saturday, August 20th -- Animal Kingdom -- Again just counter services or take snacks and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
  • Sunday, August 21st ---(Magic Kingdom day) I'd like to get a reservation for Crystal Palace before the park opens, then go to the Main Street Barber Shop for Michael first haircut. Late afternoon I may go to Columbia Harbor House. I plan on hitting more of Adventure land/Liberty Square/Frontier land/ (Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, etc.).
  • Monday, August 22nd --- Is there a way to get an early appointment for BBB (before park opening -- and then head to Cinderella's Royal Table?) I'd also like a later dinner at Be Our Guest.Game plan is maybe Main Street and FantasyLand
  • Tuesday, August 23rd - Tomorrow land/ FantasyLand / Maybe go back and hit Haunted Mansion (it's one of my favorites), and look around on Main St. before we leave.
Now, I know in my earlier post I said I would add pictures......can someone tell me how to do that? I couldn't figure it out -- lol. :)

Since it's been awhile since I last traveled and the kids had never gone on a plane........I thought it was time to get us each a carry-on (a new one for me -- because the old luggage has too many memories attached to it and I don't know that I want to deal with those.......it had been on every vacation that I had gone on with my husband and well, I'm still not past the loss).

Here's what I chose for myself: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147FYVH6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

My daughter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147FYOQ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

and my son: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WOJFIWU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I also bought my son this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/258884402/youth-t-shirt-disney-star-wars-mash-up?ref=hp_mod_rf

The items for my son -- I will be giving him at his birthday party (March 5), I'm a little late with the party.....His birthday was January 28th but now he is so young, he really won't know so that's a blessing.

The other thing that is a blessing is I now have many friends that I didn't realize were such good friends.....they were more acquaintances before my husband passed but now they are true friends. A few are conspiring with me to make this trip even more special than it already is. One will be making a few costumes for my son to wear in the parks (I can only ever find girl/princess costumes), and the other offered to pick up items ahead of time in the parks -- because her trip is this April.

It was awesome she came up to me and asked me one day if there was anything that I wanted -- I mentioned how I wanted to get a video from Elsa telling Elizabeth that she would see her soon at the parks, I told her how I know that some "Personal Shoppers" online offer to do that in the parks for you, for a price.......She mentioned that she didn't know about Elsa since that's an in demand character BUT, she is friends with a person that owns a party place and they have an Elsa -- she could probably ask this girl to do it for me.......So even though she's not in Disney it doesn't matter (very true) and this could probably done for free. :)

In addition, I had asked that friend if she'd mine picking up Disney Dollars for me -- she said consider it done!

So things are coming together for me --- for the trip! So happy! :)

Updating the thread with pictures.

Here is me and my daughter, Elizabeth:
IMG_1490.JPG IMG_2605.JPG
She's definitely, my little super hero -- she keeps me smiling.

Not to be forgotten, here is my little monster (most recently Sully):
IMG_2768.JPG

Jodi, Your children are adorable! :daisy: I love your choices in luggage, what fun. It's so sweet that your friends are thinking of some ways to make things special. :goodvibes

Plans are coming along nicely -- Right now I have 173 days until our vacation, so of course, that means that I already hit the time period where I can book my ADRs.........I could not be happier! I got everything on my Wish list! I really was nervous about relying on a travel agent to make all of the reservations -- but he was so wonderful, we spoke a few days before I hit the 180 days and went over everything that I would like for the trip; reservation day -- he sent me a confirmation email with all of the details (he had even booked for BBB and Main Street Barbershop for my son's first haircut).

Honestly, he only missed one thing and it wasn't that big of a deal and was super easy to fix -- he only missed a dinner reservation at Be Our Guest -- but in the end we got that too! I'm really glad that I went with a travel agent for this trip, it really took a load off of me (even though I do really love pulling together vacations myself).

In talking to my travel agent we also went over the details that I booked too! Stroller rental (he agreed the company that I chose was very good), car rental.....everything! We got into this conversation about the rental car - I told him I had booked it because one of the groups on Facebook talked so badly about people getting onto the bus with stroller -- I immediately felt like maybe I shouldn't rely on Disney transportation.....I didn't want to be the person that everyone talked about negatively. So car was my way out.....my travel agent told me what many people say "don't worry about other people -- don't let them effect your happiness."

Now -- the only thing that I still feel "on the fence" about is Disney Studios. I'm planning on going the day that we arrive.....but there will be so much construction, and I was a little disappointed that they took Darth Vader from Launch Bay - I had gotten my picture with him on my honeymoon and really would have loved to try and recreate it (well, as close as I could).......that and Villains are just fun! My only hope is that they add him somewhere else or put him back in the Launch Bay. It's not the end of the world I was just going to try and recreate some of the magic that I experienced with my husband -- I also wanted to try and introduce my daughter to Darth, she's never watched Star Wars but it's also the connection to her daddy (she's fascinated) -- I also bought Darth stuff for Father's Day.

Well, there could always be Disney magic somehow, where this gets turned around. ;) at least Chewy is there.

One park that sounds a lot more interesting is Animal Kingdom -- not my favorite, but with the night time show coming, I'm kind of excited! Honestly, this was always my least favorite park......but maybe it won't be this trip (my favorite will always be Magic Kingdom).

I can not wait to see Disney through my daughter and son's eyes......I asked my mom a few days back if she was looking forward to the trip and she mentioned how she's most excited about seeing my daughter as we enter the Magic Kingdom -- and she catches the first glimpse of the castle.

Oh off-topic of Disney for a minute. I went to my cardiologist appointment today and after a few years of watching what I was eating/losing weight/having my procedure for wpw ---- I am officially off BP pills! I'm still not at my personal goal weight but I hope to be close by the time of the trip (but I'm looking at losing 20 pounds).

Well.........logging off now for a little bit of sleep.

Oh, I am so so sorry for the loss of your husband, I cannot imagine how hard that would be especially so suddenly. One of my biggest fears. My husband is my best friend, but we have had our ups and downs too. My heart aches for you.

But I am so glad you are able to create a magical experience to help you and your beautiful children experience some healing and hopefully joy. I agree that you all definitely need this experience! Someone once told me to always take pictures with your loved ones because how you feel about how you look is not going to be on your or their mind when th is pictures become precious.

Your plans sound absolutely wonderful. I hope you don't mind me following along.

Something you may like that we're intending to do are farmed family silhouette portraits! I'm on my cellphone but I can link you later or you can google "Disney World silhouette portraits" for more info. The way they're done you end up two a set of mirrored images so you'd have a set for you and a set for your mom.

Much love and pixie dust ♡
Paige

Oh, I am so so sorry for the loss of your husband, I cannot imagine how hard that would be especially so suddenly. One of my biggest fears. My husband is my best friend, but we have had our ups and downs too. My heart aches for you.

But I am so glad you are able to create a magical experience to help you and your beautiful children experience some healing and hopefully joy. I agree that you all definitely need this experience! Someone once told me to always take pictures with your loved ones because how you feel about how you look is not going to be on your or their mind when th is pictures become precious.

Your plans sound absolutely wonderful. I hope you don't mind me following along.

Something you may like that we're intending to do are farmed family silhouette portraits! I'm on my cellphone but I can link you later or you can google "Disney World silhouette portraits" for more info. The way they're done you end up two a set of mirrored images so you'd have a set for you and a set for your mom.

Much love and pixie dust ♡
Paige

Thanks Paige

Disney silhouette portraits, if you have time....can you send along the link?

Glad that you're following along.

Thanks Paige

Disney silhouette portraits, if you have time....can you send along the link?

Glad that you're following along.
I can't find any official pages on the Disney, but I'm sure you've seen the kiosks? http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/articles/classic-disney-souvenir-silhouette
http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/10/27/classic-disney-souvenir-cut-paper-silhouette/ It looks they're available in MK at Liberty Square, at Disney Springs, and in the France pavilion in Epcot. I think they're really sweet and timeless keepsakes. <3

Hi! Following along.... I love the planning process!

Did you really mean to have lunch at Whispering Canyon on your Epcot day? I'm guessing that is an error as traveling from Epcot to FWL would eat up a lot of your day. Wanted to point that out in case you didn't realize that. Looking forward to reading more.

Hi! Following along.... I love the planning process!

Did you really mean to have lunch at Whispering Canyon on your Epcot day? I'm guessing that is an error as traveling from Epcot to FWL would eat up a lot of your day. Wanted to point that out in case you didn't realize that. Looking forward to reading more.

Yes, I'm not really worried about the time :)....I'm spending a lot of time at EPCOT. The idea is to keep the kids well entertained.

I'm thinking the kids will enjoy the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom the most -- so those are the days that I will likely stay very close to the park with reservations, etc.

Last edited:
Wow, I've been away longer than I intended -- it's been very busy!

All of my ADR's, BBB, and Barber shop details are now straightened out and booked. I have:

August 17th - Princess Breakfast in Norway | LeCelliar for a late lunch
August 18th - Whispering Canyon Cafe in the evening
August 19th - O'Hana for Breakfast
August 21st - Crystal Palace breakfast | Barber shop for Michael's first haircut afterwards
August 22nd - Early appointment for BBB | Then head to Cinderella's Royal table | Evening - Be Our Guest

Next month -- I have a friend that is going to Disney World......she's going to do a little shopping for me :). She's picking up Disney Dollars for my daughter, and few other surprises that I wanted to get for the kids for the trip.

I've also been busy organizing my daughter's birthday party -- I'm having the party at a local zoo, I created the invite with a picture that my husband took on our honeymoon (at Disney's Animal Kingdom). 12814630_10204950060265808_4670463247780658112_n.jpg

During the party I hope to finally be able to announce to Elizabeth that we are going to Disney World in August. The same friend that is shopping for me next month -- is also going to try and have a girl that takes voice lessons with her son......make a video announcing the trip (dressed as Elsa). She just asked me for what I would like her to say in the video.......So I said how about:

"Hi Elizabeth, I’m sorry that I couldn’t be at your birthday party --- but I will see you in August when you visit me at Walt Disney World. Happy Birthday Elizabeth!"

I'm really hoping this happens --- My daughter will lose it! All of this planning really has given me more than just something to look forward to......but now a way to cope.

More to come.........(hopefully soon!)

Thanks to all that are following along ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter