• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Its Not Fair

I don't see how Disney is different from every other store, company, or event.

How many things in life are "men events" compared to "women events"? I would say it mirrors Disney pretty closely. You will find more women who like watching football compared to men wanting to have a manicure. When was the last night you went to a bar for "men's night"? How many pages in the Sear catalog are Womens wear compared to mens wear? When is the last time you went shopping and noticed the same amout of variety in the boys clothes section compared to the girls section?

Girls have way more choice and product directed to them.

As for the BBB thing. If you brought 10 girls into BBB, 9 of them would have different hair styles. If you brought 10 boys, 9 of them would have very similar haircuts. Really doesn't leave alot of options since they will most likely be short hair cuts.

Ladies when is the last time you went for a simple haircut and noticed you are paying $20 min for the same haircut as a man?

Our culture is set up as to accept girls liking "boy" things but does not accept boys liking "girl" things. How is Disney supposed to make a movie that is only for boys? What would that include? I am sure you could rattle of 10 things that girls like but boys don't but can you say the same about the girls?

Girls can join boy scouts but boys can't join girl scouts. Girls get onto boy's high school sports team but boys cant play on the girls team. Womens only fitness center?

Also one other thing I would like to point out that I noticed in some post, which I am stating in a good natured way. For those who have older kids who are getting a bit tired of seeing the same fab 5 and princesses, Heaven Forbid :snooty: To go to WDW so many times you are bored of the characters must be a real drag :rotfl2: How tragic that on your kids 8th visit they want to see something new :confused3

Once again I don't mean that to be rude but come on. You are lucky enough to be in WDW and lucky enough to be there more then once and you are going to complain that it is becoming old hat to you. :lmao:

:santa:
anyways that is my bit. We are looking forwad to our visit and I know we will have a great time.

Thanks

You're right, it would appeal to a certain demographic. All males everywhere. I guruantee you 90 percent of boys/guys want to be a jedi. I dont care if you're six, seven, fourteen, twenty one or thirty nine. Star wars hits every demographic of males. Do you think they pulled in 400 million dollars on one movie by hitting the age 8 - 15 bracket? Star wars would hit HUGE. You can add every princess movie together and one Star Wars movie still obliterates it, let alone the six of them. I think Star Wars would out draw princesses easily for at least the first year it was open if they had a meal. Star Wars is like the catch all for guys, its superheroes, action stars, spies, all rolled into one. Grab a lightsaber, throw it at any guy, 9/10 will play with it, regardless of age..

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I have a DH, 1 DS, 5 BILs, & nephews, & 2 nephews by marriage. One of my BILs enjoys SW, but not enough to go to the last movie. The rest of them have no interest at all. It could be that everyone in my family is in the 10 percentile of non-SW loving males, but that's not likely. Odds are the percent of people who enjoy SW is much lower than your guess. I think it seems more people love it, because many of those who do, are passionate about it. Sure SW weekend at DHS is very popular. It's a chance for the devotees to be totally immersed in what they enjoy. You can't find that everywhere. On a similar note, have you ever met a Parrothead? They're crazy about Jimmy Buffet. If you want to snag a ticket to one of his concerts, you'd better be faster than those calling for V&A chef table. A small percentage of any demographic can make a huge impact, if they're devoted enough.

I wasn't implying a SW meal would only appeal to 8 to 15 year olds, quite the opposite. It's more likely that it would appeal to kids, of any age, with SW loving parents, & older people who grew up during SW's hayday. I'm sure some kids, old or young, discovered they enjoy the SW's movies on their own. Most kids now don't have time to get totally engrossed in something like that, w/o prodding from someone. Adding a SW meal would be great, for those who want it. It will not appeal to 90% of males though, not even close.

I'm sorry you felt I was rude. I was simply stating my opinion, which I believe is as welcome on these boards as yours - everyone has the right to speak their mind.

I don't have children. I do have a neice and a nephew that I take to disney sometimes. I seems that on these boards the moms of boys like to complain about how Disney does more things for girls without thinking through the reasoning for the different treatment.

My point about the cost of the crown package was that princesses make Disney a lot of money so that is why they are willing to have sooooo many princess activities. If no one went to the princess activities or people weren't willing to pay the high cost then they wouldn't be offered.

My point about the moms of boys not buying merchandise the way moms of girls buy princess stuff is that Disney has no business reason to make more boy activities because there moms aren't buying the merchandise in large quanties. Princesses were just idea at some point, but they became very popular with lots of activities available because of the demand shown through sales. I was in no way insinuating that boy moms couldn't afford the merchandise, just that they don't buy it in as large of quanities as girl moms buy princesses.

Do you have any proof...like Disney budget, backing up your statement that boy moms don't buy as much. I'm sorry but as a mom to boys, your statements sound ridiculous!

Also wouldn't it make more sense that IF in fact your statement is true, that the reason boys merchandise isn't beng bought in large quantities is that their isn't alot to buy? Of course girls moms will buy alot, because there's alot to buy.

And it does not matter what the reasoning is. When you have children, you don't want to see more things for a specific child.

Well, I don't have girls, only boys and we just returned yesterday from our second trip with the kids from WDW.

First time, the boys were 12 and 9 and we ate at Chef Mickey's and Donald's Breakfastsaurous.
This time we ate at Crystal Palace and Akershus.
The last time ( 2001) we ate at Akershus it was NOT a princess thing, and we went there again simply for the food. It was kind of embarrassing as my kids are now 18 and 15 and while both love a pretty girl, I think they were mortified that I took them there.

I guess next time as we will truly all be adults-- and maybe going without kids,at all, we will have to avoid character meals. I guess I wish we could have table service without characters-- and I am a BIG Disney fan.
We did go to LTT at lunch with no characters.

I agree that the princess thing at BBB is nice I guess for a little girl, but Disney's ad they run talks about getting something there for your PRINCE or PRINCESS, but I walked around the parks for a week, and never saw any made up princes, nor were there any shown on their tv ad , Disney runs on property in your hotel room 24/7.

I am not sure what the solution is, but I do think it is hard on boys-- and not all love Star wars-- my family could care less about those particular characters. As young kids, my boys loved Toy Story-- but I think that movie has wide appeal to families.

Debi

I'm in the process of planning our trip for August of '08. My son and my nephew will both be nearly 5 (the same age my daughter was when we took her), and I must admit that I've been very disappointed that there aren't more options for boys. I think Buzz/Woody/Jesse would be outstanding, and it would appeal to girls, too. I don't know much about Monsters Inc., but really...there just isn't anything that really appeals to boys.

Cinderella was wonderful when my daughter was that age, but I imagine my son and nephew would rather watch paint dry. :)

I guess next time as we will truly all be adults-- and maybe going without kids,at all, we will have to avoid character meals. I guess I wish we could have table service without characters-- and I am a BIG Disney fan.
We did go to LTT at lunch with no characters.

You don't have to stop going to character meals! Heck, dh and I went to character meals by ourselves before we even had kids!

Granted, once our kids (dd-6.5yo and ds-2yo) are older we won't be doing FIVE character meals over 8 days...but we will definitely still do at least one or two!

princess:pirate:

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Guess my opinion is not welcome on these boards.

One last quote Why are you telling me the price of the BBB Crown package? are you saying that boys parents wouldn't pay $150? You do not know me nor my Financial situation.

Your post was very rude.

When I read your OP, I was like, yeah, there aren't a lot of character meals designed for the little men in our lives, that's for sure!!! I agree with you, we have two new grandsons, and I wouldn't HESITATE to spend the $$ to do something that would make them happy at WDW---I don't think you were saying, DON'T DO THE Princess stuff, you were just saying, even it out a little bit and give the boys some BOY specific things to do too!!

Please don't hesitate to post here---not sure what was up with the poster that sounded off in such a manner, maybe they took it wrong or felt very strongly about what they were saying, or trying to say, but regardless of the message they were trying to get out there, it was over the top.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO READ AND POST HERE---everyone, and I mean EVERYONE'S opinion is welcome here!!

Sign me the proud new Nana of two boys!!

I am a 43 year old single female and I would go to a Star Wars meal.

Disney doesn't own Star Wars, however. George Lucas does. Disney can't do whatever they want with the characters.

Please don't hesitate to post here---not sure what was up with the poster that sounded off in such a manner, maybe they took it wrong or felt very strongly about what they were saying, or trying to say, but regardless of the message they were trying to get out there, it was over the top.

I think the question just came up at a bad time for shellybaxter. I really don't think she meant it as harshly as it sounded to most posters. This just happens to be one of those topics that comes up very often. It's right up there with tipping, the appy/dessert debate, 10 yr. old adults, etc. Most of us can guess what the replies will be. They don't change much. ;) It can be aggravating to see these topics discussed so often, when WDW doesn't seem to be listening. We just don't seem to be getting anywhere with our wishes for change. After awhile, frustration can overtake someone & they react harshly. That doesn't mean they're unkind. It just means they're human. I'm sure we've all have bad days occasionally. We need to ignore the rare outbursts & enjoy all the helpful posts we see here. :grouphug: Now, if we could just find a way to get WDW to listen to us, we'd all be happier DISers. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter