• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's gonna RAIN!! What SHOES do YOU wear??

I take a couple pairs of sneakers. An older pair when it is really rainy and antoher pair with plenty of socks.

Croc sandals. The cleo style, to be exact. As long as the traction on the bottom is still good, they are great to wear. Plus, all you need to do to dry them off is to wipe them down.

I wear my normal sneakers because there's nothing I want on my feet walking around all day but those. And I wear socks but take an extra pair to change if I must. But usually, if my feet are wet, they are wet so I just slosh around in them during the day. I do NOT wear sandals at all. Back at the resort at night, those sneakers get put upside down on the heater/AC thing at night to hopefully dry out. If not, they go back on the next day as dry as they can be.

Others will suggest flipflops but I can tell you I've seen a lot of people skidding with those and it didn't look safe. My feet may have been wet but I was certain I was going to avoid a flat out face down fall. And besides - your feet will be wet in flip flops too, won't they?

Crocs beach shoes, the original ones! They never seem slippery on the bottoms as long as it's not a worn out pair. They dry fast.

If you like Chacos, none of the other shoes mentioned will have as much support as you are used to. I always were !y Chacos in the parks. I do not feel like the Chaco flip flops have enough support for a whole day. I wear my sport sandals all day.

We wore Keen sandals (Newport for me, don't remember what hubby or kids had) when we were at WDW when TS Andrea came through in 2013. No problems.

Keen Whispers or Newports!

Do sizes/fit run the same between Whispers and Newports? I've tried on the Whispers but they didn't have my size to try in the Newports. This was at Dick's Sporting Goods - I can try another location. Anyone know what other common stores carry women's Whispers and/or Newports?

No advice on alternate shoes, but when I was in EPCOT last week, there was a nasty thunderstorm and downpour. It was not one of those quick moving storms either, and I was caught in it in my best running sneakers. It was date night and we didn't have time to sit and wait for it to stop if we wanted to see World Showcase, so we sloshed through it and got my sneakers good and squishy. An hour or two later, when we got back to the room, I used paper towels to get out as much moisture as possible and then used the hair dryer in our room at the Poly. It took a couple minutes on each shoe, but after that and letting them dry overnight indoors, I used them the next day with no problem. DH stopped me from putting them on the balcony to dry further, pointing out that it was crazy humid outside and that likely any benefits the high temperature would have would be cancelled by the humidity.

Looks like you have had plenty of advice on what to wear, but If some one does end up with wet shoes I have read that stuffing them with news paper helps with drying them.

Yes - and in a pinch, drying them with a hair dryer works, too! If there's a lot of rain forecasted, bring several pairs.

I'm not a sandals person; I like walking around in my sneakers, so I wear the sneakers and pack a pair of flip flops so that when the rain starts, I plop 'em on and a while after it stops (once some of the huge puddles start to dry up), I change back to my socks and sneakers. Now, if it's raining most of the day, you might just need to do sandals.

My most comfortable sandals in a material that wont soak. Skin dries easily, socks don't. Flats are usually out of the question, as the ones i own are a soft leather that will get soaked and uncomfortable.

I already have teva's which are great for the rain, but after reading this thread I purchased water proofing spray for my tennis shoes and backpack along with body glide. We leave Wednesday. Thank goodness for Amazon prime! My orders will be here Tuesday!

Weather in my state seems to be at least a day of heavy rain every 10 days. After looking up socks for a different reason a while back and ruining a pair of shoes while walking to work in the rain a few months ago, I've learned that wool socks are the best. Feels wet for maybe three seconds but then it just wicks the water away and I don't have to deal with that wet, cold feeling.

As for shoes...hopefully my more water-resistant sneakers will hold up. Merrell is what I use. I originally wanted to use sandals so I wouldn't have to pack as many socks but a trip to the boardwalk last week taught me that there is just not enough support for walking that many miles in sandals.

I've also worn Croc's Cleo sandals in rain - they worked well and were comfy. I think I might look into getting some water shoes actually - haven't tried them yet.

Chacos all the way! Love 'em! Good support, comfortable, and no worries about them getting wet! My secondary pair that I bring are Teva Mush - I've found them to be really comfortable for walking all day and a nice change from the Chacos.

I wear reefs.....amazing traction and decent support!

I wanna wear my chacos, but the give me blisters in one point when I am walking on flat ground (yeah, its VERY strange, I use them for hiking and they are wonderful)....maybe I can wear them more and see what I can do....

I know how long it takes for sneakers to dry out and if its CONSTANT rain, I doubt my shoes would dry overnight, I would even take 2 (and 3 if I had room) to rotate if those were my park shoes...

Ditto to anyone and everyone who said Keens. I have a pair that have lasted about three years and they have survived being wet in downpours, trudging through water after canoeing, and grocery store trips. The only bad thing is the weird tan lines on my feet -- they look like tiger stripes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter