• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"It's Coming and it's BLUE" - A July 2010 TR - COMPLETED!!

I love this update! I have yet to see the MK welcome show, and I had no idea that was the song they used! :eek: It's on my "Four Parks One World" CD and I listen to it every single day on the way to work, and I never knew what it was from! I thought it was just a song they played on Main Street or something! :confused3 :rotfl: Now I have even more motivation to do rope drop at MK in November! :cool1:

I love your picture of the tree with the streamers in it! I love that you pay such good attention to the little things in Disney, I feel like I go so fast when I'm there that I don't stop to notice these things. :)

I also loved wanting to skip over GF!!! :rotfl: It's so beautiful but I feel so out of place when I go there! :laughing:

Haha, that would be me- falling getting on or off PP or the HM. Then, I'd have like marks on the side of my face from the moving platform the rest of the day. :rotfl:

Yes we do need to compare!
Hahahaha And that's exactly why I will never wear stilettos in the parks. :thumbsup2
I like how you want to pass by the GF to get to MK :thumbsup2 I love the monorail but it makes me more anxious to get to the MK because you can see almost the entire time yet you have to stop by all of the hotels!

I also believe the MK show is a must do! I get all misty eyed every time I watch it!

I love that first walk down Main Street USA I really wish people with Mickey gloves greeted me wherever I went in the mornings :lmao:

Can't wait for more!
OMG. Walking to class would be so much more enjoyable if all of the professors stood outside waving at me with Mickey gloves on! I gotta figure out a way to make that happen. :rotfl:
I love this update! I have yet to see the MK welcome show, and I had no idea that was the song they used! :eek: It's on my "Four Parks One World" CD and I listen to it every single day on the way to work, and I never knew what it was from! I thought it was just a song they played on Main Street or something! :confused3 :rotfl: Now I have even more motivation to do rope drop at MK in November! :cool1:

I love your picture of the tree with the streamers in it! I love that you pay such good attention to the little things in Disney, I feel like I go so fast when I'm there that I don't stop to notice these things. :)

I also loved wanting to skip over GF!!! :rotfl: It's so beautiful but I feel so out of place when I go there! :laughing:
YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST MAKE IT TO ROPE DROP. ABSOLUTELY MUST. Especially since you already know (and love) the song. You won't regret it. :goodvibes

I totally agree with you about the opening show. It is everything you said...so Disney and so magical. There is no better way to start a day. Love it!

Oh, and I want to be one of those dancers as well...maybe you could teach me the coreography. I know the words to the song atleast. :laughing:

JULY 23RD PART 3: A MAGIC KINGDOM MORNING

Our first stop on this Magic Kingdom morning was
DSCN2989.jpg

*Cues Will Smith’s “Wild Wild West”*

You guys know that song, right? I can’t possibly be the only lame one who totally used to listen to Will Smith as a kid. Actually, I think it’s already been established that I’m INCREDIBLY lame, so moving on…

DSCN2990.jpg

As you can see from this picture, Frontierland is DEAD at Opening. The hordes flock to Space Mountain, leaving Splash and Big Thunder with no waits. There were maybe 30 or 40 people ahead of us. I was expecting to see tumbleweeds blowing across the path. Although, if old movies are to be believed, rolling tumbleweeds usually means that there’s about to be a duel, and I don’t do well with guns.

This next picture is one of my favorites. I somehow managed to snap it during our hasty walk towards the Mountains.
DSCN2991.jpg

If you showed this picture to 100 random strangers on the street and asked them to guess where it was taken, I doubt many of them would guess Walt Disney World. And that’s what I love about it. That’s also what I love about Disney. When you travel to WDW, you’re not just traveling to WDW. You’re traveling to the Wild West, outer space, underwater, an African savannah, countries from around the world, Andy’s bedroom, and old Hollywood among others, all in one vacation. And, sure, you’re not seeing the “real” thing, but just look through all of the pictures you’ve taken while at WDW and you’ll see that you’ve “been” to quite a lot of places.

Anyway…

Our first ride of the trip was *in my best old timey miner voice* “the wildest ride in the wilderness” - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad!!
DSCN2994.jpg

We quickly walked right through the nearly empty queue and down into the station. Much to my sister’s delight, we were assigned to the very back row! While standing and waiting for our train to arrive, we were both bubbling over with excitement. I’m pretty sure I jumped up and down a couple times. I just couldn’t help it…We were at Disney and I was about to ride one of my favorite rides. I think that’s cause for a little excited jumping.

Once the train pulled into the station, we boarded, did the little lap bar wiggle for the CM, and then we were off. I LOVE the very beginning of this ride when you take off into the darkness and everyone’s WOOOOOOOOO’s echo throughout the building. You don’t actually do much, but it’s still really exciting.

Because Katie and I were in the very back, we had quite a bit of air time on all of the little drops, which made the ride all the more fun. I love that there are a couple of moments where just as you think you’ve dropped all the way, you drop a little bit more. They always make me scream. And then laugh hysterically. Rollercoasters are just so funny!

Here are a couple pictures I took on the ride.
DSCN2996.jpg

DSCN2998.jpg

After our runaway train made it safely back to the station (thank god), we headed over to the quintessential Disney ride – Splash Mountain.
DSCN3000.jpg

DSCN3001.jpg

Once again, this ride was essentially a walk-on. We had to wait for less than 5 minutes right before the loading dock, but it wasn’t bad at all. Oh, and I absolutely must comment on the fact that the queue is full of signs that say “You may get wet.” That’s a bit of an understatement. From my experience, the second you sit down in that log, your butt gets soaked. Unless you wear (or sit on) a poncho, there is no way you’re escaping the ride without a little moisture in the butt region. No way.

DSCN3003.jpg

Coming around this bend is one of my favorite parts of the ride. Not because it’s super intense or anything- you *are* just floating around a bend- but the constant fear that you are going to get soaked by the jets is exciting. My family always sits there timing the boats coming down the hill and praying to Mickey Mouse that we somehow manage to miss the big spray of water.

Of course we never actually manage to miss them and this ride was no different. We got soaked.
DSCN3004.jpg

I mean, you can see the water dripping off of Katie and Dad in this picture. It wasn’t just a little sprinkle of water, it was a drenching. Not a drenching of Kali River Rapids proportions, but for Splash Mountain, we got pretty wet.

I took a couple more pictures before putting my camera away to enjoy the ride.
DSCN3005.jpg

DSCN3006.jpg

DSCN3007.jpg

We continued on our journey, laughing and singing along with the happy little tunes. (Seriously, can anyone resist singing along to “Hee Hee Hee Hee Ho Ho Ho Boy, are we in luck! We’re visitin’ the Laughin’ Place. Yuck Yuck Yuck Yuck”? I certainly can’t.) But before we knew it, we were making that climb up the final hill. This is usually the part where I start to think WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I DOING??? I don’t normally do heights. Or falling. Like, I go out of my way to avoid those things. But, there’s no way out…unless I want to become one of those crazy people who jumps out and then either dies or gets kicked out of Disney for life. And of course, I don’t want either of those things to happen, so I close my eyes and basically curl up in a ball in my seat. Well, I keep my feet on the ground, but I tuck the top half of my body down as far as possible. And make sure to keep a steady death grip on the bar. Then, I try not to hyperventilate as I wait for the drop to be over.

Thankfully, most of us didn’t get too wet from the splash at the bottom of the hill, but my dad got SOAKED. He got a face full of water and his shirt was completely wet. It was hilarious. And I was incredibly thankful that he's so tall. His tallness prevented me from getting drenched. So kids, always sit behind your dad. He makes a great shield. :thumbsup2

After singing along to Zip-a-dee-doo-dah and getting stuck in the boat backup for what seemed like hours, we made it back to the station. We laughed at our picture (I cannot believe I forgot to take a picture of the picture) and I ran off to the bathroom to brush out my hair. It was a wet mess. Blerg.

Next up, we headed back to 18th Century America to join the happy haunts of the Haunted Mansion.
DSCN3016.jpg

There wasn’t much of a line, but we *just* missed out on making it inside, so we had to wait a few minutes. Frankly, I didn’t mind waiting. I love reading all of the gravestones.

Before long, we were packed into the Stretching Room and introduced to our “Ghost Host”. The Stretching Room would be a lot more enjoyable if I actually had room to stretch out my own body. This claustrophobic hates been packed in with a gajillion other people. And then there’s the mad push that happens when they open the door to the loading area. I grabbed on to Dad’s arm so we wouldn’t get separated. Why can’t people ever do this in a more orderly manner? Like, how hard is it to wait at the back while the people near the door exit? Why must everyone shove themselves towards the front? Seriously, psychologists, I want to know. Is there some weird thing in our brain that kicks in and causes everyone to be all MUST GO TOWARDS DOOR NOW? Whatever it is, it’s super annoying.

As per usual for us on the Haunted Mansion, we got stopped for a bit. I know they have to stop the ride to load the handicapped folks, which I have no problem with, but why can't I ever get stopped in one of the exciting parts of the ride? I always have to sit in the library, listening to the creaky ladder over and over. Why can't I get stuck in a room with ghosts and other cool stuff to look at?

After narrowly avoiding being selected as the 1000th Happy Haunt, we headed off towards one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE RIDES…It’s a Small World!!
DSCN3017.jpg

So many people hate it, but I could sit on one of those boats and float around the world all day. There are just so many things I love about it. I love the smell of the Disney water. I love waving goodbye to the ride operator (As did the people sitting in front of me).
DSCN3020.jpg

I love this sign.
DSCN3021.jpg

I love when the music first kicks in and everyone around me rolls their eyes, but I get really happy. I love how the entire ride looks like a giant art project. I love this little guy who sits atop a mountain shaking his head to the music.
DSCN3022.jpg

I love how bright and cheery the ride is. I love the gondolas in Italy. I love the glitter! I love the pandas eating bamboo. I love the Taj Mahal. I love the magic carpets. I love everything about the jungle room. I love these giraffes.
DSCN3024.jpg

I love these spinning penguins (and their hats).
DSCN3025.jpg

I love the Polynesian version of the song. It makes me want to get up and dance.
DSCN3026.jpg

I love everything about the final room – the lights, the castle, the ferris wheel, the rollercoaster. I also love that the boats tend to get backed up in there because it gives me more time to take in all of the details.

I also love passing by the signs that say “goodbye” in a bunch of different languages. Because we were staying at the Polynesian, I took a picture of the Aloha sign. It’s so glittery and fabulous.
DSCN3030.jpg

I don’t love that they make me get off of the ride, but I do enjoy how the boat shakes as the chains pull you back up into the dock. One time, the boat somehow got stuck and we sat there vibrating for a minute or two. It was hilarious.

So that’s what I love about It’s a Small World. Yeah, it’s not the most thrilling ride, and the song does get a bit repetitive, but it’s classic Disney. How can you hate that?

UP NEXT: More Magic Kingdom fun!!

Wow, that's so great Frontierland wasn't busy for you! Sometimes the herds can get out of control!

I agree with you, the theming and details at WDW are just amazing. They get everything down to the little random things.

Oh gosh, BTMRR!! :yay: Love it. And you got the very back?! Awesome! We love the very back. I can still hear the spiel in my head "Hold on to your hats 'n glasses, 'cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

Whoa, you guys did get soaked! I always dread that coming around the bend part at the beginning of the ride. :laughing: I keep saying to myself 'C'mon...c'mon...c'mon' like it makes our log move faster. :rolleyes: And that's great you got a pic of the water coming down the big drop. The whole rest of the next week, it wasn't working!

Aw...IASW. We were on it sometime during that day. I love waving at the CM too! And at the people in the windows eating at Pinnochio's!

Fun, fun, fun!! I love your excitement! I always feel the same way on day 1! Just bursting with disbelief that I'm actually here and about to ride something I've started to think I imagined, because it all seems to good to be true!

I used to love Will Smith when I was younger I remember getting his cassette tape for Christmas one year :laughing: Never realized how old I was until just now when I said cassette tape :laughing:

Your favorite picture is beautiful!

Is it bad that when you said "In my best old timey voice "the wildest ride in the wilderness"" I could totally hear the Disney voice in my head?:confused3

Great pics on BTMRR!

Splash Mountain has my favorite ride music! I sing "pretty good sure as you're born" every time we go through that scene!

Seriously every time you quote a ride I can totally picture the voice of the character saying it :lmao:

I am not a big fan of its a small world mainly because of how catchy the song is but now that I look at your pictures and knowing it will be down for refurb when I go in a couple weeks I really think I will miss it :sad2:

Great morning so far!

I am loving this TR! I love the way you write and how you make me feel like you are speaking only to me when I read it! And the pics are wonderful! :cloud9:

You definately capture and emanate the Disney excitement and love thats meant to be shared. :worship:

popcorn::...waiting (im)patiently for more!! :banana:

I've finally found someone that shares my love for ASW! :cool1:

My family has to be forced to ride it with me :laughing: I'm am so disappointed that it will be closed while we're there so I appreciate your pics and making me feel like I'm there :goodvibes

If I didn't tell you this before or if I already told you this, I'll say it again - you have a great writing style! Really enjoying your report :thumbsup2

Wow, that's so great Frontierland wasn't busy for you! Sometimes the herds can get out of control!

I agree with you, the theming and details at WDW are just amazing. They get everything down to the little random things.

Oh gosh, BTMRR!! :yay: Love it. And you got the very back?! Awesome! We love the very back. I can still hear the spiel in my head "Hold on to your hats 'n glasses, 'cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

Whoa, you guys did get soaked! I always dread that coming around the bend part at the beginning of the ride. :laughing: I keep saying to myself 'C'mon...c'mon...c'mon' like it makes our log move faster. :rolleyes: And that's great you got a pic of the water coming down the big drop. The whole rest of the next week, it wasn't working!

Aw...IASW. We were on it sometime during that day. I love waving at the CM too! And at the people in the windows eating at Pinnochio's!
I do the same thing. And I'm always like, if we all lean forward will that make the log go faster so we can miss the jets? :laughing:

Yeah, I have a bunch of pictures from later in the week of the big drop sans water. That was good times. I was paranoid that the lack of water would send be falling to my death. I mean, there were tons of logs making it down just fine, but I was sure that it was going to be the end for me. Gosh, I always think of the worst possible scenarios.
Fun, fun, fun!! I love your excitement! I always feel the same way on day 1! Just bursting with disbelief that I'm actually here and about to ride something I've started to think I imagined, because it all seems to good to be true!
Exactly. It all just seems to good to be true. :goodvibes
I used to love Will Smith when I was younger I remember getting his cassette tape for Christmas one year :laughing: Never realized how old I was until just now when I said cassette tape :laughing:

Your favorite picture is beautiful!

Is it bad that when you said "In my best old timey voice "the wildest ride in the wilderness"" I could totally hear the Disney voice in my head?:confused3

Great pics on BTMRR!

Splash Mountain has my favorite ride music! I sing "pretty good sure as you're born" every time we go through that scene!

Seriously every time you quote a ride I can totally picture the voice of the character saying it :lmao:

I am not a big fan of its a small world mainly because of how catchy the song is but now that I look at your pictures and knowing it will be down for refurb when I go in a couple weeks I really think I will miss it :sad2:

Great morning so far!
:rotfl: Oh, cassette tapes. I had quite the collection of cassette tapes. You're right, thinking about them is making me feel so old. Gosh.

Haha I randomly listen to the Splash Mountain soundtrack all the time. I love it so much!

As I'm typing out the ride quotes, I totally imagine the voices that say them. It's impossible not to! :thumbsup2
I am loving this TR! I love the way you write and how you make me feel like you are speaking only to me when I read it! And the pics are wonderful! :cloud9:

You definately capture and emanate the Disney excitement and love thats meant to be shared. :worship:

popcorn::...waiting (im)patiently for more!! :banana:
Aw thanks so much!! :goodvibes
I've finally found someone that shares my love for ASW! :cool1:

My family has to be forced to ride it with me :laughing: I'm am so disappointed that it will be closed while we're there so I appreciate your pics and making me feel like I'm there :goodvibes
The rest of my family aren't big fans of IASW, but they ride it just to humor me. I'm sorry that it's going to be closed while you're there. I remember when it was closed during one of my trips a few years ago...I was so bummed. I always feel like I'm missing something if I don't ride IASW.
If I didn't tell you this before or if I already told you this, I'll say it again - you have a great writing style! Really enjoying your report :thumbsup2
THANKS!! :flower3:

Excuse me. As someone who used to listen to Will Smith as a child AND OCCASIONALLY STILL DOES, I am offended that you say this act is lame. Will Smith is epic.

I think that ALL the time when I see some pictures of WDW, like, no one would ever guess this is Disney. Especially people who think it's all for kids and stuff. Ugh. Let's not even discuss them. I'm really sorry about their lives.

YAY, back row! For BTMRR, you really need to be in the very back or very front.

The Splash Mountain song is one of my favorite Disney songs and I did not know that they were saying "yuck yuck yuck!" I thought it was "yup yup yup!" LOLOL

I got stuck on the Haunted Mansion in April, and I was stuck in the most boring place LOL I so badly wanted to get stuck in the graveyard or ballroom dance scene!! I would love that so much.

You know we share the IASW love, girl! My favorite sign is of course the M'assalamma one!! I ate too much pizza today, m'assalamma!!!

girl, don't worry, you're not the only one who listened to will smith. i liked his songs (and still do!) :laughing:

Splash and BTMRR are two of my most favorite rides in MK. My sis and i always quote "hold on to your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!" when we're feeling nostalgic. that's so cool you got to ride in the very back! i still have yet to ride in the back or front row.

oh those Splash jets. why does Disney have them run all the time now? when i went in November they were still on and it wasn't even hot. we got lucky though, we escaped them. i don't know what my bf would have done if we got soaked, because he hates getting wet :laughing:

Excuse me. As someone who used to listen to Will Smith as a child AND OCCASIONALLY STILL DOES, I am offended that you say this act is lame. Will Smith is epic.

I think that ALL the time when I see some pictures of WDW, like, no one would ever guess this is Disney. Especially people who think it's all for kids and stuff. Ugh. Let's not even discuss them. I'm really sorry about their lives.

YAY, back row! For BTMRR, you really need to be in the very back or very front.

The Splash Mountain song is one of my favorite Disney songs and I did not know that they were saying "yuck yuck yuck!" I thought it was "yup yup yup!" LOLOL

I got stuck on the Haunted Mansion in April, and I was stuck in the most boring place LOL I so badly wanted to get stuck in the graveyard or ballroom dance scene!! I would love that so much.

You know we share the IASW love, girl! My favorite sign is of course the M'assalamma one!! I ate too much pizza today, m'assalamma!!!
After the whole LeBron James leaving Cleveland debacle, I had Will Smith's Miami stuck in my head for WEEKS. Our local news literally spent days covering nothing but "The Decision" and anytime someone said Miami, I would burst out into, "PARTY IN THE CITY WHERE THE HEAT IS ON..." That song actually factors into our trip later on, so stay tuned! :thumbsup2

HAHA Maybe they are saying "yup yup yup". I don't actually know the official lyrics, I just assumed it was "yuck", like a laughing kind of "yuck". :confused3
girl, don't worry, you're not the only one who listened to will smith. i liked his songs (and still do!) :laughing:

Splash and BTMRR are two of my most favorite rides in MK. My sis and i always quote "hold on to your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!" when we're feeling nostalgic. that's so cool you got to ride in the very back! i still have yet to ride in the back or front row.

oh those Splash jets. why does Disney have them run all the time now? when i went in November they were still on and it wasn't even hot. we got lucky though, we escaped them. i don't know what my bf would have done if we got soaked, because he hates getting wet :laughing:
Yeah, those jets are no fun. I mean, you're just innocently sitting there in your log and then BAM. Drenched. And even in the summer it took me a few hours to dry off. I can't imagine how long it would take in the winter.

Love your MK morning! :cool1: I LOVE Splash Mountain so much...that's another song I listen to constantly. In fact...there will be times when my DH and I are watching TV or something and I will grab my phone, put that song on, and do this ridiculous dance. He was annoyed by it at first, but now he does it with me! :rotfl:

I know what you mean about people shoving their way out of the room at HM...like it's going to get you there any faster. :sad2: They do the same thing at ToT, it's obnoxious!

I like IASW just because it's such a Disney classic, but it's definitely not one of my favorites! :rotfl:

Love your MK morning! :cool1: I LOVE Splash Mountain so much...that's another song I listen to constantly. In fact...there will be times when my DH and I are watching TV or something and I will grab my phone, put that song on, and do this ridiculous dance. He was annoyed by it at first, but now he does it with me! :rotfl:

I know what you mean about people shoving their way out of the room at HM...like it's going to get you there any faster. :sad2: They do the same thing at ToT, it's obnoxious!

I like IASW just because it's such a Disney classic, but it's definitely not one of my favorites! :rotfl:
The Splash Mountain soundtrack is lovely. It makes me so happy whenever I listen to it. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to listen to it without getting up and doing a silly dance. :rotfl:
Your pumping me up for my trip in December...can't wait :)
Thanks for joining in on the fun!! :goodvibes

JULY 23RD PART 4: "ARE WE...GOING BACKWARDS?"

When I left off, we had just disembarked from the “happiest cruise that ever sailed” and were trying to decide what to do next. It was only 10:30, but we were all starting to get hungry since none of us had really eaten breakfast that morning as we were WAY too excited to eat. We decided that filling our stomachs was in order so we moseyed on over to our favorite Magic Kingdom Counter Service restaurant, Pecos Bill’s.
DSCN3031.jpg

Following along with the theme of our morning, Pecos Bill’s was a ghost town. Granted, it had *just* opened, but it was EMPTY. I think there were like two other families in there with us. It’s not often that you actually have room to move around while at Disney, so all of the wide open space must have triggered something in me because I felt the sudden urge to run around. But I was able to repress that urge and went with Katie to find a table while Mom and Dad ordered.

Because it was so empty, we didn’t have to wait long for our food. Mom ordered the pulled pork sandwich.
DSCN3033.jpg

Katie got some sort of burger with an onion ring on it.
DSCN3034.jpg

And I got the crown jewel of Pecos Bill’s, THE CHICKEN CAESAR WRAP!!
DSCN3035.jpg

This picture doesn’t do it justice. It’s so delicious. I could eat one of these every day for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied. I’m drooling just thinking about it.

Oh, I should also mention that the portions here are enormous, so Dad ate half of Katie’s burger and half of my wrap.

After filling our bellies, we headed towards the Frontierland train station to catch a ride to Toontown. Our timing was perfect and we showed up right as a train was arriving. Yay for perfect timing!

Here’s a picture I took of Thunder Mountain from the train. It’s nice to be able to take time to appreciate all of the detail that you miss when you’re whizzing through the ride.
DSCN3036.jpg

Midway through the ride, I noticed that there were some openings in the trees where you could see the Fantasyland construction. There wasn’t much going on, just moving around dirt, but once they actually start building things, the train could provide for some interesting views.

Here’s a picture I took of one of the openings, but you can’t really see anything.
DSCN3037.jpg

I must say, this train ride was bittersweet. I don’t know for sure, but I’m assuming that this will wind up being my last Disney trip with Toontown still open. For those of you who don’t know, the “What do you get when you cross Mickey’s Toontown with a Country Fair? Why, Mickey’s Toontown Fair, of course!” part of the train spiel is pretty much my favorite thing ever. The delivery of that line is just perfect. I equate my love for that silly question to the love some people have for the “Paging Mr. Morrow…” part of the old TTA spiel. I am going to be crushed when it’s gone. Riding the train will never be the same. :sad1:

Continuing with the bittersweet-ness, once we got off the train in Toontown, our first stop was Mickey’s house to complete what will probably be the final chapter in one of my family’s biggest Disney traditions. I mentioned this in my Pre-Trip Report, but for my new readers, pretty much every time we’ve vacationed at WDW, we’ve taken a picture of me and my sister in front of the Mickey-shaped pumpkins in Mickey’s backyard. It’s “our” spot. And while I’m excited for the Fantasyland expansion, losing the pumpkins is really sad because we’re also losing our tradition. Katie and I were little tiny things in our first ever pumpkin pic, and it has been a lot of fun watching us grow up in front of those 2 giant fake pumpkins.

I will say though that Disney couldn’t have picked a better time to knock down the pumpkins. Katie just turned 18 in May, so we’re both (officially) not kids anymore. So while the pumpkin pics have recorded our childhood trips, it’s time for us to find a new spot to record our adult trips. Now it’s just a matter of finding that new spot.

Anyway, here’s (probably) our last ever pumpkin picture.
DSCN3038.jpg

We were looking into the sun so we’re a little squinty, but it’s not that bad. Traditionally, we take the pumpkin pictures on the last morning before we leave, but because I really wanted to be wearing my “Forever Young” t-shirt in the final pumpkin picture, we changed our plans around a bit.

After bidding a fond farewell to our giant orange friends, we took the “secret” path to Tomorrowland.
DSCN3042.jpg

Ok, I guess it’s not really a “secret” per say, but there’s never anyone back there.
DSCN3043.jpg

We grabbed some Fastpasses for Space and then headed off to ride everyone’s favorite ride…the TTA!! Because it was closed last summer when they were working on Space Mountain, it had been TWO YEARS since my last trip around Tomorrowland. And even though the new narration SUCKS, I was still really excited to ride.

Literally, the second we boarded, I plopped my feet up on the seat in front of me and made myself nice and comfy. I mean, that’s what the TTA is for, right? It’s like how Ellen’s Energy Adventure exists only for napping purposes. You can’t tell me anyone actually WANTS to spend 40 minutes of their life learning about fossil fuels.
DSCN3044.jpg

DSCN3045.jpg

I attempted to take a picture of the castle, but as you can see, that didn’t really work out.
DSCN3046.jpg

Anyway, we were enjoying ourselves as we zipped around Tomorrowland, but then things took a sharp right-handed turn for the worst.

Disney should probably considering changing the name to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority OF TERROR. Because the Space Mountain portion of the ride was TERRIFYING.

At first, everything was all fine and dandy. We were all oohing and aahing over Space Mountain. But then we came to a sudden stop. In the pitch darkness. And I started freaking out. I’m claustrophobic and being in complete darkness freaks me the eff out. I remember being like, “Um…Katie? Did it break?” as I was blindly feeling around the car for her leg. That’s how dark it was. We were sitting right next to each other and I couldn’t see her AT ALL.

So we start talking to each other, awkwardly trying to make jokes and diffuse the situation. But the whole time I’m having this big internal monologue. “Of freaking course we’d get stuck on the TTA. In the dark part. And they’re going to make us sit here for hours. In the dark. I am going to die on the TTA. And that’s not even the cool way to die! If I’m going to die at Disney, I want to die on one of the thrill rides. Or get eaten by a lion on the Safari. If I start screaming, will the people on Space Mountain be able to hear us? Or will they just confuse my screams of terror with those coming from the Space Mountain riders? OMG. What if they never come and save us because they think the screaming is normal? OMG. I am seriously going to die right here. I wonder if can find the pen in my purse to write out a will on one of the maps. Although, it’s dark so they probably wouldn’t be able to read my writing. I guess my family and friends can just divide up my stuff as they see fit. But I wanna be mummified and wearing mouse ears! How will they know? If I call the kennel, will they let me talk to my dog so that I can tell him that I love him one last time? Shoot, I probably don’t have service in here….But I can use my cell as a light! Why didn’t I think of that earlier? Maybe I can flash out S.O.S. in Morse code…if I actually knew Morse code.”

Midway through my attempt to remember Morse code, we started moving again. Only really slowly. And here’s the kicker…backwards.

Katie and I looked at each other. Or at least, looked in the direction of each other, and we were both like, “Are we…going backwards?” So that was fun.

Yeah, now I’m not only going to die on the TTA, but I’m going to die in a big fire-y crash when two trains collide. This just keeps getting better and better.

After rolling backwards for a few seconds, we came to a stop again. And then we started moving forward again. For real, this time. We were actually going at the normal speed. But I didn’t want to get my hopes up. For all I knew, we were just picking up speed before shooting off the edge of the track to my death. I didn’t really trust that the TTA OF TERROR would get us out of here safely.

And then I started moving towards a bright light. My knowledge of TV and movies led me to the conclusion that this was it. Heading towards a bright light can mean only one thing…Dying.

Or that you’re back outside.

Because we were.

Back outside, I mean.

Holy mother of Mickey Mouse, we were back outside!!!!

I didn’t let myself get too excited, though. We still had half of the ride left for something to go wrong. But thankfully, nothing did. We finished the ride with no problems. (Other than the fact that I was pretty sure I was having a heart attack. What does a heart attack feel like exactly?) And the second we pulled into the station, I jumped out of the car and practically sprinted down the moving platform. Or I would have if there weren’t people in front of me. But OMG. I have never been so happy to be back on the ground. I wanted to drop down to my knees right in the middle of Tomorrowland and shower the ground with kisses. But I didn’t want to catch some horrible mouth disease so I refrained.

And in celebration, Katie and I went and got our picture taken with Buzz Lightyear. OMG. Why didn’t I think to call Buzz when we were stuck on the TTA OF TERROR? He totally would have been all, “Buzz Lightyear to the RESCUE!!” and saved us.
DSCN3047.jpg

We still had an hour before our Space Mountain Fastpasses were useable, but at this point, my nerves were frazzled from the TTA OF TERROR and I really just wanted a nap. So Mom and I decided to head back to the Polynesian to check in, in hopes that our room would be ready.

Will it? You’ll just have to stay tuned.

OH and PS: Let's just take a minute to FREAK THE EFF OUT that Britney Spears is filming Glee right now. GAH. SO EXCITED.

After staring at your pics...I swear to you, I walked by you sometime during the day. I remember when you posted that 'Forever Young' shirt before our trips...and I remember seeing it while at WDW and thinking of you...and now that I see that pic of you with Buzz and I can see your bag too-I swear it was you!

Wow, no one at Pecos Bill's?! You sure got lucky with that one, getting there right when it opened.

We had to have just missed each other on the train! We rode it to Toontown too!

Oh my gosh, it is SO dark on the People Mover during the Space part. I would hate to get stuck there! Sorry you did. :hug: But hey, what a way to go if you did not live to tell the story..it happened at WDW! :thumbsup2 :laughing:

That chicken caesar wrap looks amazing!!!! Yum!

Such a cute pic of you and your sister! I am sorry that tradition won't be able to be continued but at Disney you can always make new traditions!

I am going to miss ToonTown but at the same time I am so pumped for Belle's house!!!! I am so excited about all of the Beauty and the Beast theming so that definitely helps with my ToonTown sadness.

That is the one reason I don't like TTA! It seems like no matter what whenever we are on it we always get stuck! We have been stuck in the dark part before but after a few minutes they turned the lights on so it was nowhere near as scary as your encounter!

Cute pic with Buzz!

Can't wait to hear more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter