It's Been a Stressful Few Days**Update Post 21**

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
I've started threads about my Mom's issues before, so some of you may remember. She had a mild stroke on Saturday and was taken to a local hospital then transferred to a larger one. She has weakness on her right side, but can still feed herself (although she isn't eating much) and talk. They have done many tests and most came back fine. Thankfully they will be releasing her to a nursing home for rehabilitation. But yesterday when we went to see her she was on oxygen and having difficulty breathing. They did a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia in the evening while we were there, but we haven't heard the results yet. They thought it could be fluid buildup around her lungs from the IV so they did cut it way down. Maybe if she would eat better they could take it away completely, I don't know. She has lost her will to live (her family doctor put her on an anti-depressant medication almost 2 months ago, upped the dosage after a month) and has requested to be DNR. It is so hard seeing that bracelet on her arm with the huge "DNR" letters. :( But it is her wish, and her decision, not mine. But so difficult to deal with.

I am praying, when I go see her today, that she will be breathing better and hoping it was just the IV fluid and not pneumonia. If you can, please think some good thoughts for her or send up a prayer, I'd appreciate it.

I do remember you speaking about your Mom previously. I'm sorry to hear that she's doing so poorly. I'll be thinking of you both.

I don't know if you recall me telling you about my Mom's neighbor at the Assisted Living Center or not who also lost so much weight and strength last year but I thought I'd mention that after she did her stint at the Rehab Nursing home, she came out feeling so much better. The managed to put a decent amount of weight on her while she was there and her strength drastically improved, as well as her moods and disposition. My Mom is always talking about how much she eats at dinner time now. She looks wonderful now and is out participating everyday in activities. I'm headed in there this morning to see them. I really hope your Mom follows a similar path.

Last edited:
Aw..I'm so sorry. Hugs and good thoughts sent your way!! It is hard seeing a loved one like that. Especially a parent when their wishes are different than ours. Again hugs.

good thoughts for your mom-and you.

just as an fyi-it's not unusual to be depressed after a stroke (and if you already have issues w/depression it can compound it). I dealt w/this after both of mine. it's frustrating and confusing to have your body very suddenly not doing what it could previously do. it's also one of the most exhausting physical experiences I've ever had. 26 plus hours of active labor was a exhausting but a stroke that took mere minutes to occur knocked the wind out of my sails for a couple of weeks-and I had no appetite as well. the good news is w/rehab (and time in general) a person can start realizing improvements fairly quickly which goes a long way in improving one's mindset.

((Hugs)) my Mom had 2 stokes-first left her in wheelchair with a little mobility...but she was lucky to have a husband at home (No way she could live by herself after that stroke)-2nd stroke put her in Nursing home

I do remember you speaking about your Mom previously. I'm sorry to hear that she's doing so poorly. I'll be thinking of you both.

I don't know if you recall me telling you about my Mom's neighbor at the Assisted Living Center or not who also lost so much weight and strength last year but I thought I'd mention that after she did her stint at the Rehab Nursing home, she came out feeling so much better. The managed to put a decent amount of weight on her while she was there and her strength drastically improved, as well as her moods and disposition. My Mom is always talking about how much she eats at dinner time now. She looks wonderful now and is out participating everyday in activities. I'm headed in there this morning to see them. I really hope your Mom follows a similar path.

Oh, I too hope my Mom follows the same path as your Mom's neighbor. Unfortunately with my Mom not really wanting to live anymore doesn't help. I wish the anti-depressent medication would work. Her doctor did say she could take as much as 60 mg and she is on 20 right now. She has an appointment with him on the 22nd, so hopefully she can keep it and he will increase the dosage then. I just pray they will be able to help her at the nursing home. If she can regain some strength and could get her appetite back. Her confusion is worse too though, so I honestly don't see her ever going back to her own apartment to live by herself. I'm going to keep the apartment until we know for sure though. Mom is 78 and I don't feel that is "old" but she looks and acts "old" that's for sure. :(

((Hugs)) my Mom had 2 stokes-first left her in wheelchair with a little mobility...but she was lucky to have a husband at home (No way she could live by herself after that stroke)-2nd stroke put her in Nursing home

I'm sorry about your Mom. :( I wish my Dad was still alive and could help her. I think that is a big part of Mom's not wanting to keep living, she just "wants to be with Dad." :(

Praying for you and your mom.

Sending tons of prayers and good thoughts. My mom was a stroke patient a number of times. She had many issues but her first diagnosed stroke, she came back very well. Her 2nd big stroke was a brain bleed and much more complicated. At any rate, if your mom is already dealing with some depression, this may now compound it. The doctors and nurses should have some ideas to help in that area.

Confusion during / after a hospital stay often results in confusion in older people. It's fairly common from what I was told. As she gets stronger it should abate if not go away.

Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter