It's been a LONG time since we had such and "unplanned" WDW trip....at just a week away (and I just realized......this might actually be a great trip)

apulk

Mouseketeer
BIG family trip planned -- arrive next Saturday, June 5th thru June 12th. My wife and I, our 4 adult kiddos and 3 of them bring their significant others. 2 other friends are joining us for the last two days. This has been THE hardest trip to plan--and maybe that's what Disney wants. I know for years I was one of the complainers that said I didn't like having to booking dining 6 months in advance, or FastPasses 2 months in advance -- which basically means you are planning where you will be (park) at least 2 months in advance. But with that being the norm for so many years....I feel like we're going on this trip and winging it. But Disney didn't make it easy. Planning a trip with 9 and then 11 people this time around has been super frustrating. Long hold times calling for dining reservations that didn't exist, park availability issues, etc. have really made it a challenge to plan but....

• we're less than a week away and have every day accounted for (park reservations or open days planned) -- actually ended up with Hollywood Studios 2 days in a row and really want to switch and go to EPCOT or AK a 2nd day -- but no availability -- wish we could trade someone :)
  • only two sit down reservations for all 9 of us -- could get 4 or 5 for a few others but nothing else -- so, actually think we will end up spending less money on food -- and that's a very good thing
  • hours were really short for our week just a few weeks ago -- now a little closer to normal -- and I actually don't think I hate the 11am EPCOT opening.....2 days in a row in our plans when we don't have to get up early (Blizzard Beach day) -- that's pretty nice (we are rope drop people)
  • seems like Disney's plan is to drive everyone to Disney Springs in the evenings with so many other restaurants being closed or not available -- I'd rather have more options BUT every other trip we always leave saying we wish we would have had another evening at Disney Springs -- looks like we might have 2 nights we're looking for Quick Service at the Springs--with one night already reserved at Raglan Road. That might give me 2 times to eat at Polite Pig -- or break my tradition and eat somewhere else -- again, not bad
  • Masks coming off.....but not fully wide open -- our entire party is vaccinated but....I'm cool with the slow process of eliminating the mask -- very hopeful direction there too
  • Dining Part II -- really, really, really wanted to be able to do Sci-Fi, Whispering Canyon (breakfast) and Boma with our big group. Boma has been THE family big meal since it opened. The one night everyone gets dressed up and we eat then relax at the resort. This is the big disappointment at this point--just read that Beach Club just reopened....wish it was AKL too. 3 of the folks going with us are newbies......we really wanted that one quintessential WDW restaurant with theming -- and though Sci-Fi was the best one for that. Sadly....no luck so far and not holding out hope that walk-up will work for us and our sized group. Oh well -- maybe a little Pixie dust will come our way.
  • No fastpasses.....well I'm taking this as a challenge......can I navigate this 9 to 11 (MK last day a friend and her 5 year will join us) person group thru each park and still get as many rides/attractions as I did WITH fast passes? This feels so old school that I'm actually excited about the possibility (but would definitely take suggestions)
  • We had park reservations for Hollywood Studios our last day (6/12) AND Sci-Fi lunch AND Oga's Caneen reservations for that day BUT....our friend and her 5 year old daughter will join us that day. Proud of my crew -- all 9 of us agreed.....for a 5 year old's FIRST visit to WDW -- we had to take them to the MK. And like magic -- a few weeks back -- on a late Friday night.....MK availability popped up....I cancelled -- with a few tears in my eye our HS, Sci-Fi and Oga's reservations, booked us at MK but am super excited to be tour guide to a 5 year again......it's been 18 years since we've had a 5 year old in our family -- what a perfect way to end a week at WDW
  • I booked us (2) rental cars MONTHS ago......they called to confirm yesterday that we still need them and promised they would be available for us (I'm still thinking Seinfeld episode since we've been let down before) -- and I paid less than 1/2 of what the current going rate is -- that's great too
SO, for a mostly "unplanned" trip....this one actually feels like it just might work out as a pretty good one. Definitely going to miss:

• BOMA -- already mentioned -- this is the ONE thing the family is more disappointed in
  • No fireworks or nighttime shows....
  • No shows (not because we want to watch them.....but because they draw the crowds away)
  • No TRAMS......dang, I'm getting old....but that walk at the end of the day from the park to the car with no Tram is not something I'm looking forward too (staying at BLT so the walk to MK and back is pretty cool)
BUT I think that's about it. So months ago when I started to try to plan like I always did I was pretty bummed in what I wasn't able to do.....I guess it is all in how you look at it.

PS -- any thoughts / suggestions for how to maximize our days especially with the big group, during a pandemic -- please let me know.

andy

First off, congratulations! You get to go to Disney again!! You sound so much like me as the “planner” or “tour guide” to your family. We’ve been on multiple trips always organized by me and I can honestly say the 2 pandemic trips we’ve taken have by far been the best!! It has been so nice not to have to drag everyone around the park bc we have an adr or fast pass we have to make. I’ve had so much more fun just going with the flow and deciding at a moments notice to hop in a line or just sit and people watch. Some tips I would suggest is the morning of each resort day figure out what everyone would like for lunch and around what time and go ahead and put a mobile order in. Don’t wait until everyone is starving to decide bc it can take a long time to find something. Also, don’t always believe the wait times. While we were there the lines constantly moved so a 25 minute wait felt so much shorter than I’m used to. Also lots of rides seem to have inflated times. Just try to go with the flow and enjoy letting everyone have a turn at deciding what you guys are going to do. Without parades and shows you can take things at a much slower pace and still accomplish a ton. Most importantly HAVE FUN!!

Thank you for confirming that less planning this time around at least could make this a more relaxing trip!! And your tip about ordering quick service well ahead of time seems like gold...which reminds me of something else I need to plan :) I need to make sure everyone has their App installed and working. I don't remember how payment works for mobile orders -- I'm telling everyone to use their Magic Band which is linked to our reservation which has my credit card attached.....if payment is taken in the app -- I might need to share my credit card with the rest in case we're ordering from different places and using multiple devices. OK, that gives me a few more things to plan ahead of time this week:yay:

Thanks for the feedback. Have a great day!

I'm telling everyone to use their Magic Band which is linked to our reservation which has my credit card attached.....if payment is taken in the app -- I might need to share my credit card with the rest in case we're ordering from different places and using multiple devices.
Yes, when using Mobile Order in MDE, payment defaults to whatever CC is attached to that MDE account. However, it's possible to enter a different CC number or even a gift card number - best is to store that number as a note on the phone and then copy and paste it when completing the Mobile Order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter