It's April and time I plan my August WDW Vacation

Easto

Mouseketeer
We have the Polynesian booked from August 23, 2016 (arrival) - September 1, 2016 (check out)

Here is Kenny the Pirates crowd calendar for this time:

crowdfinal_1.jpg

We are trying to figure out our best way to use our 6 days at the parks and 1 day of waterpark

This is what we have as of right now:

Aug 23 - Arrival
Aug 24 - EP
Aug 25 - MK
Aug 26 - off or water park
Aug 27 - HS
Aug 28 - MK
Aug 29 - off or water park
Aug 30 - MK
Aug 31 - AK
Sept 1 - Departure

Right now we have it set up for MK 3 days, EP ones, HS once, and AK once.

Our daughters are 4 years old (40" tall) and 6 years old (44" tall)

Last time we were at WDW was in 2013, I know things have changed since then. I have picked days based on my past experience at WDW so it's a bit dated.

Just to keep things simple to start:

(1) how does this look thus far? Would you change anything around?

Last edited:
Looks okay to me. Personally, I'd want a little more time in EP, but you know your family.

One note: IF the new early morning paid event continues, it will be happening on your last MK day (Tuesday), but by then we'll all know how it is impacting regular park attendees and how to tour accordingly. Plus that will be your 3rd day in MK, so hitting the headliners won't be as problematic.

Looks okay to me. Personally, I'd want a little more time in EP, but you know your family.
I agree.. but we are Epcot lovers. I could never go a whole trip, with only 1 Epcot day. Besides MK, it the park we visit the most. But every family is different.

I'd say it looks great, as we'll be crossing paths a lot! We arrive the 21st and depart the 30th, and we're hitting the same parks as you on our overlap days, except that we're doing AK on the 28th, and MK the 29th and 30th (depart mid-day). We're even doing BB on the 26th!

Magic Kingdom vs Epcot

As of right now we are 3 days at MK and 1 day at EP. Some people are suggesting a second EP day, so 2 MK and 2 EP.

I am a bit confused and likely a bit out of the loop. Last time we were at Epcot we didn't find there was 2 days worth of things to do. We walked around the World Showcase a lot, but attraction wise I didn't think there was enough for our kids to do over 2 days.

Someone convince me, or educate me :D

From my past experience I would think a 4 year old and 6 year old would prefer HS twice rather than EP twice.

BUT.... I haven't been there since 2013 and out of the loop

Last edited:
I think with a 4 and 6 year old you're plan sounds pretty good. How do you guys tour? Do you do rope drop or stay late at the parks? I know the $ add up, but I think there is only a $15 difference between 6-day and 7-day tickets. You might want to add one day to your tickets and get later FPs for Epcot in the afternoon and evening on one of your waterpark off days. I don't think I'd like to spend two whole days at Epcot with kids that age, but it all depends on how much the kids like the world showcase. DD15's favorite park is Epcot and we usually still do multiple half-days. I hope you guys have a great trip regardless.

World showcase would not interest them.

Unless each store had candy. And I bought lots of candy. And I let them eat lots of candy.

Magic Kingdom vs Epcot

As of right now we are 3 days at MK and 1 day at EP. Some people are suggesting a second EP day, so 2 MK and 2 EP.

I am a bit confused and likely a bit out of the loop. Last time we were at Epcot we didn't find there was 2 days worth of things to do. We walked around the World Showcase a lot, but attraction wise I didn't think there was enough for our kids to do over 2 days.

Someone convince me, or educate me :D

From my past experience I would think a 4 year old and 6 year old would prefer HS twice rather than EP twice.

BUT.... I haven't been there since 2013 and out of the loop
For me, I can spend a lot of time in Epcot, but everyone is different. I love how big and spread out everything is, and there is more to see and do than some may think - walking around World Showcase (which I did not care for as a kid, but it is my favorite park now). There are certain rides I love riding more than once - SSE, Soarin, Test Track, Living with the Land, Imagination (yes, I love this lol), and Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico. I cannot just ride them once. I just love walking around the park and taking in the atmosphere, enjoying the countries, and having dinner at Garden Grill. I do not have kids, so that is why I say I can spend more time there.

I don't think you're out of the loop. Maybe just 1 day is fine for your family. You are the only one who knows what your kids will enjoy and how much they'll enjoy it. I typically do mornings at the parks, rest at the resort in the afternoons and go back to the parks at night, so that may be why I can go to Epcot as much as I do on trips - I'm not spending full days there. I love evenings there.. it is the same way I feel about all of the parks at night, it is like a whole different experience at night. Everything is so different and beautiful. I can honestly go to Epcot and not ride a single ride at night and be happy just walking around, and enjoying the surroundings.

I think the main question raised by other posters is
Do you want to do a 2nd Epcot day or a 3rd day at MK?

There are advantages to both, they're both great parks and there's no wrong answer here.
When my kids were that age, they liked the rides of Future World and they liked going around to the various Kidcot stops in the World Showcase and getting their Mickey stamps. It was also a good park for getting autographs and meeting characters.
I would think after 2 days in the MK that you should have done most of the major rides that you want to. Many children enjoy repeating rides that they like though.

Your plan overall is very well thought out IMO. If you are looking at new things since your last visit, the 2 main ones are the 7d mine train at MK and the upcoming frozen ride at epcot norway. They should have the new Soarin by then also. I might look at it that the 2 new things at epcot might make it harder for you to do in one day.

Don't forget to schedule an entire day in Epcot to wait in the Frozen ride line ;) half joking... but if your girls are frozen fans waiting for the ride/M&G could take up a significant amount of your EPCOT day if FPs are going to be as hard to get as everyone is predicting. 2 days in Epcot could be good! Have an excellent trip!

We did 2 1/2 days MK, and 1 at each of the others. If we'd had 1 more day it would've been for EP. In the end we chose to keep it at MK cause there were things we really wanted to do there that we hadn't yet. I'd keep it scheduled as you planned and change as necessary when you're there. There is a ton to do at EP. All the princesses are there and they're lines take quite a bit of time if you try to master them all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter