• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's amazing how people don't believe a word you say

rgf207

DIS Veteran
Ok. I've been on the DIS for about 5 years now. I own DVC and have been to Disney at least once a year for the past 7 years. I think I know a little about disney

We are going Aug 1 - August 10. It just so happens that my wife's friends are going the same time.

Her husband was telling me that there is no need for them to make any ADR's for their trip. They are planning on walking up to Chef Mickeys, Le Cellier and Whispering Canyon Cafe and expecting to get in. I tried to tell them this will not happen but he said that was the case when he was at Disney as a Child.

No matter what I tried to tell him, he would not listen. I sort of felt bad but not anymore. I did my best. They are going to be in for a rude awakening.

It's amazing how some people just won't allow themselves to be helped. But at least you tried :thumbsup2 Nothing else you can do - it's all on him now.

Will they have kids with them? That will be a shame if they build up having dinner at a certain place and then to be turned away.

It sounds like you did your best. If your room has a kitchen, maybe you can make up a few PB & J sandwiches and leave them at the podium of each of their selected restaurants. ;)

Will they have kids with them? That will be a shame if they build up having dinner at a certain place and then to be turned away.

It sounds like you did your best. If your room has a kitchen, maybe you can make up a few PB & J sandwiches and leave them at the podium of each of their selected restaurants. ;)
no they will not have kids with them. Since they know where they want to eat, I don't understand why they don't just call and get the ADR's. That's what really bugs me. I was almost tempted to call for them but I decided it wasn't my place.

and you know what??? this is the people that after the vacations will say how Disney did not meet their expectations...... " really bad experiences they will say " :eek:

Wait you are going in August and they refuse to make ADR's? In August???
Is this guy not doing ADR's on priciple or is he that naive?

Wait you are going in August and they refuse to make ADR's? In August???
Is this guy not doing ADR's on priciple or is he that naive?
He's naive. He said that he did not need to make any reservations when he went as a child. I tried to tell him since the start of the Dining Plan, things have changed a lot. He insisted that he will not have a problem.

We are going seperate from them. It just happens they will be there when we are. We have all of our ADR's made. Did that at the 90 day mark.

He's naive. He said that he did not need to make any reservations when he went as a child. I tried to tell him since the start of the Dining Plan, things have changed a lot. He insisted that he will not have a problem.

We are going seperate from them. It just happens they will be there when we are. We have all of our ADR's made. Did that at the 90 day mark.

Good for you! You did all you could, best thing is to shrug it off and enjoy your trip and give a good "i told you so" when you get back.

Tell them to read the Dis and then it may get through to him

and you know what??? this is the people that after the vacations will say how Disney did not meet their expectations...... " really bad experiences they will say " :eek:
...and/or complain they had to eat counter service their entire stay. Lets face it, many people do not want a vacation all planned out. Honestly, I do not like planning out meals so far advance as they also cascade into other aspects of planning beyond what I consider a relaxing vacation. We miss the days when dining was a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.

Overall, remember most guests do not plan out their Disney Vacations. Many people want their vacation planned to the destination and let everything else "go with the flow." Rest assured with the current DDPs and free dining, counter service and snack bars get a lot of their business from the non planners.

Yeah, I have a friend going in mid-June. We talked about ADRs and she has children and specific ADRs. I talked to her about a month ago and she hasn't made them....okay, I said, "You really need to." I talked to her a few days ago. She hasn't made them yet.:confused3We also have friends going on their honeymoon in the second week of June who haven't made them yet!:eek:I just want to shake them- For the love of God, people! Anyway, at least they are open to where they dine. They are coming over on Saturday so I can help them!

DH's cousin, his wife and 5 kids are going Christmas-NY's. I told them it is THE busiest time of year and to get to the parks at opening. They don't believe me that its' the busiest time of year. I didn't even tell them about ADR's. :scared1:

Ok. I've been on the DIS for about 5 years now. I own DVC and have been to Disney at least once a year for the past 7 years. I think I know a little about disney

We are going Aug 1 - August 10. It just so happens that my wife's friends are going the same time.

Her husband was telling me that there is no need for them to make any ADR's for their trip. They are planning on walking up to Chef Mickeys, Le Cellier and Whispering Canyon Cafe and expecting to get in. I tried to tell them this will not happen but he said that was the case when he was at Disney as a Child.

No matter what I tried to tell him, he would not listen. I sort of felt bad but not anymore. I did my best. They are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Nice of you to TRY to and help them....Whats that expression....you can lead a horse to water.....;)
I too think he will be in for a RUDE awakening...:eek:

I guess it depends on how good of friends these are to your wife. If its her best friend or good friends, I might print off a couple threads where this is discussed. I also might print out a list of restaurants they MIGHT be able to get into if they decide NOT to make ADRs (like Grand Floridian cafe, Boatwrights, Maya Grill, Nine Dragons, restaurants at Swan/Dolphin).

Or maybe try to take the wife aside and explain it to her. Have her make the ADRs so they have them when her DH finds out the truth while standing at the podium!

If they aren't that great of friends, I think you have done enough. But you know they won't come back and say "You were right!".

Maggie

I think you have to be careful because there are people that think they know it all even though they have only been twice. I have a friend like that where the boyfriend thinks they know it all... and I keep trying to tell them... unfortunately they have to learn on their own. I have been to WDW 34 times and know it better than my hometown and the one thing you HAVE to do when you go during peak times and for certain restaurants, you always have to do... is make dining reservations. We plan things loosely so that we have our dining reservations and an idea of when we are going where but there is some flexibility in there too. Anyway... it would be nice if people would learn to trust us more experience Dis'ers so they enjoy their trip a little more. That is my 2 cents!

I've had this experience with friends before too. They made fun of me for being so well organized and actually laughed at me. THEY weren't going to have any problem. THEY would be fine. I stopped trying to push, and figured I would get the last laugh. When they got back, they didn't tell me what happened, but from another friend I learned that they ended up eating a week's worth of hot dogs and chicken fingers.

I've had this experience with friends before too. They made fun of me for being so well organized and actually laughed at me. THEY weren't going to have any problem. THEY would be fine. I stopped trying to push, and figured I would get the last laugh. When they got back, they didn't tell me what happened, but from another friend I learned that they ended up eating a week's worth of hot dogs and chicken fingers.

See, to me that's the funny part. We've tried to help and expain this to friends who thought they knew everything and then when they get home they either won't talk about it or basically lie about the experience. I'm not trying to get them to admit they should have listend, but I'm usually more interested in finding out what they had to do since they didn't plan. We did have some good friends who just wouldn't listen to us about ADR's and when they came home they did say they were sorry they hadn't listened more closely to what we were trying to tell them. You can only do so much for people.

It's amazing how some people just won't allow themselves to be helped. But at least you tried :thumbsup2 Nothing else you can do - it's all on him now.

Yeah except this sounds like the kind of guy who will then come back and say Disney was horrible cause he couldn't eat anywhere. Despite being warned...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter