It's already paid for.

spruce

DIS Veteran
I understand that renting my points instead of trading into the Disney Collection, Dcl, etc... is better but does anyone feel that you've already prepaid and it's just easier to book through MS? We've used points in the late 90's for Dcl, 2 years ago for Disneyland hotel, last year for Disneyland Paris and once at the Shellborne in NYC. For $95 you get: instant reservation, control of reservation, no rental ads or rental doubts, hassles or fears. Plus it's prepaid although more than likely you over pay with points and leave rental cash on the table. I will add, our contracts are paid off and we have more than broken even since 1st buying 15 years ago.

I totally understand your situation!

Using points is SO easy - one call, and it's done!

We recently rented points for the first time and it went well - we did it on our own.

However, I can easily see how things could go wrong.

Using a point rental agency isn't as good of a deal as renting them out of your own...but it also take a lot of hassle out of the process.

I am often tempted to rent points every time we have a cruise booked - cruising with points really does leave a lot of cash on the table. Especially if you are booking under a promotion.

I don't think we would ever use points to pay for an Adventures By Disney - the point cost is just WAY too high.

We have traded to stay at both the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier. We did a week long trip and stayed 3 nights at the DLH, 3 nights at the GCV, and 2 nights at Paradise Pier. It was a good use of points since we had to cancel a trip earlier in the year - we would have lost them, or had to give them up in rental at a lower price due to the use year.

The other option is to rent the points, and go with a travel agent - no fees, but still the ease of planning and all of the information.

Just using points has its benefit, it all depends on how dollar conscience you are!

Bottom line: YOUR points. YOU decide how to use them. There is no right or wrong way, although a few posters on the DVC board seem to think there is. ;)

op, I think the best use of points is determining how they work best for you. And I also think it's great you have your contracts paid off. Enjoy!

I understand that renting my points instead of trading into the Disney Collection, Dcl, etc... is better but does anyone feel that you've already prepaid and it's just easier to book through MS? We've used points in the late 90's for Dcl, 2 years ago for Disneyland hotel, last year for Disneyland Paris and once at the Shellborne in NYC. For $95 you get: instant reservation, control of reservation, no rental ads or rental doubts, hassles or fears. Plus it's prepaid although more than likely you over pay with points and leave rental cash on the table. I will add, our contracts are paid off and we have more than broken even since 1st buying 15 years ago.

That is one of the reasons that Disney sets the point requirements for anything other than a DVC stay as high as they do, you are paying for the convenience.

:earsboy: Bill

If we decided to cruise, it would most likely be instead of going to Disney for that trip, so in that case, we would use our points.

While it may be more expensive, the hassle of renting the points and dealing with that would be more than I'd want to deal with.

Now, the chances of us actually going on a cruise are low so at most, it wouldn't be too often so the loss in value would be fine with us.

Our thought has always been we bought to cover our vacations. Of course, the bulk of my points--once my newest contract goes through hopefully--will be resale so not an option for much of what I own..

The only problem with using DVC points for these non-DVC stays is that if you have to cancel, you cannot use those points for DVC. You must use them for the Disney Collection and pay another $95 to rebook.

I don't consider the control to really be there with the booking and rebooking fees if you have to change. That may be why I'll use points for DL hotels if necessary (no $95 fee) but doubt I ever will for anything else. We each have our own value limits and that's fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter