It's Almost Disney, Sort Of! w/ Photos! Final update 5/17 Italy

Lisann

Thank you Walt
My Day at Busch Gardens Williamsburg would just have to do. I needed a Disney Fix and there was no Orlando in sight for miles. :rolleyes:

Hi, my name is Lisa and I live in Virginia, and just a short less-than-hour drive to Williamsburg. :car: So I have the good fortune of being able to visit Busch Gardens almost whenever I want. I say almost, as the park is only open seasonally.

My love for Disney will always be at the top of the list, but Disney could learn a thing or two from Busch Gardens. This park is BEAUTIFUL. They have the distinction of, year after year after year, being awarded as the Most Beautiful Theme Park in America. And rightfully so. The entire property is full of trees, blooming azaleas and tons of flowers everywhere, with soft rolling hills. In fact, you feel as if you are in a forest, and there just happens to be a theme park tucked carefully inside. There was no bulldozing the entire property to build Busch Gardens, and then planting trees after-the-fact. It makes a real difference in the whole feel of the park.

This park is open seasonally, only in the warmer months. One of the benefits of not being open year round, is that the park can actually shut down and attend to proper maintenance and painting. It is so nice to be able to visit the park at the beginning of the season and everything is all sparkly and clean and freshly painted.

Now, some photos!

I arrived around 11:30 am on a beautiful Sunday, temps in the upper 70s and no humidity. Gorgeous! The park opens at 10 am.

England is the first 'land' upon arrival and most of the buildings have a distinct Tudor style to them.
England 1.jpg

See how the bench is freshly painted and shiny? :)
England 2.jpg

This bldg houses some delicious confections!
England 4.jpg

I didn't get a chance to see this show today as I left by 2pm. But I'll be back!
England 3.jpg

Isn't the weather glorious?!!
England 5.jpg

My favorite (favourite) photo! Taken with my iPhone.
England 6.jpg
And remember those beautiful flowers that I mentioned? :rose::daisy:
England flowers.jpg

Next up: Scotland

Last edited:
Scotland

As I left England, under the cooling shade of the hardwoods, I walk up a little hill and arrive in Scotland. A rather small little area, this is my favorite place as the Clydesdales are there! Along with a diminutive barn owl and a various array of livestock.

These horses are gorgeous and pampered and spoiled. Their stalls are immaculate with ceiling fans, nice lighting and fresh cedar shavings. The photo doesn't do them justice, they are breathtaking animals. This is the first year that the pubic is not allowed to get right up to the stall. I assume children were poking their hands between the bars.

Scotland 1.jpg

Clydesdales info.jpg

They really take pride in these horses. There was even a couple of Irish Setters, "Connor" and "Finn", but they were not co-operating and I couldn't get a pic of them. They are spoiled, too. Look at the
difference between the horse shoe sizes between a pony, a horse, and then a Clydesdale. This will give you some idea how truly massive these animals are. But they are very sweet and loving.

Scotland 2.jpg

Scotland 3.jpg
The horses that I saw today were more on the small side, and there were only about three. I think the big guys were out and about somewhere else.

Who wouldn't love a country that has a quick service named "Pigs In a Kilt". They serve cold beer on tap and I think hot dogs or sausages.
Scotland 5.jpg

There were rides for the little tykes.
Scotland 6.jpg

The side of the horse barn
Scotland 7.jpg

This is around back. The horsies get to roam out here, along with goats, hens, dogs, etc. It's so beautiful, and there is Scottish music playing in the background. Pretty.
Scotland 8.jpg

These are Scottish Highland Cattle. They are huge up close and very shaggy and wooly. So cute!
Scotland 9.jpg

One of three train stations is in Scotland. The theming in the countries is just wonderful.
Isn't this train gorgeous?
Scotland Train.jpg

There is a coaster in Scotland and it's called Loch Ness Monster, with bright yellow track.

Next up: Ireland!

Last edited:
On To Ireland!

As you leave Scotland to the right and behind the stables, lies the entrance to Ireland. As you cross the bridge, the music starts to change and the theming turns to all things Irish.

Ireland 1.jpg

Ireland is a fun and happy country at Busch Gardens. There is a 4D attraction called Europe in The Air (I haven't been in a while, need to rectify that). I have eaten at Grogan's Grill, which serves the typical Irish fare...potato soup, corned beef and cabbage and salads and kid offerings. Everything there is quite good. There is also a pub which is quite nice, and I believe there is a little Starbucks inside of that as well.

Ireland 5.jpg

There are some beautiful theatres here, where you can catch some great Irish dancing, Celtic Fyre. The themeing, again, is beautiful. On some days, there will be traditional Irish music in the town performed by live singers and musicians. A very nice touch.

Ireland 3.jpg

Ireland 6.jpg

Here's a whimsical tree in front of one of the shops in Ireland. Kids love it as you can actually crawl into it!
Ireland 2.jpg

Here's me (a kid, too) in the tree a few years ago
LisaLeprechaunTree.JPG

Emerald Isle Gifts is one of my favorite shops at Busch Gardens. They sell all kinds of stuff made in Ireland, including Waterford Crystal. Their jewelry is really beautiful. There is also tea (which I purchase all the time) and soda bread mixes, scone mixes, perfume from Ireland, warm woolen sweaters and scarves...it's just a great little shop!
Ireland 4.jpg
The roof is real thatch, too.

And, of course, flowers, which are everywhere at Busch Gardens and so beautiful.
Ireland flowers.jpg

Next up...France!

Before moving on to France, here are a couple of quickie videos of my day. Here is the entrance bridge to Ireland

And here are the Scottish Highland Cattle, and a glimpse of the skyride:

And the Clydesdale horsie:

In-between Ireland and France is a small section of animal areas. There is a Bald Eagle preserve, a wolf demonstration, a bird or pet show, and an aviary called Lorikeet Glen, where you can feed the birds. There are also cabana rentals.

As you cross the railroad tracks, the music changes to French songs. This beautiful clock is at the entrance.
France 2.jpg

There is a big outdoor theatre in France where concerts and shows are held during the summer. As you pass by the clock, there is a snack area that sells coffees and crepes. Yum! Along the fence area there are some beautiful grape vines that remind one of the French countryside.
France 3.jpg

Some French architecture. In this shop are wine tastings and items that are French inspired.
France 4.jpg

And behind this building one can see the coaster Griffon! Oh my. I could never ride that thing!
France 1.jpg

Here's the coaster.

And what would this park be without gorgeous flowers?
France flowers.jpg

France flowers 2.jpg

Next up: New France (Canada)

The next country up is New France or Canada. This area is a lot of fun. There is a rustic feel to the whole place. There is a train station, candle shop, pottery shop, rides, log flume, funny photography, etc. And one of the best places to eat some great bbq!

New France 1.jpg

Good bbq chicken, brisket, pulled port, salmon in this restaurant. You can smell it everywhere!

New France 2.jpg

New France 3.jpg New France 4.jpg

You can pan for gold here! Really!
New France 5.jpg

New France 6.jpg

There are coasters everywhere, all meandering through the trees. So nice.
New France coaster.jpg

Again, beautiful flowers in every country.
New France flowers.jpg

Next up: Germany and Oktoberfest

The next country at Busch Gardens (if you are walking around the park counter-clockwise) is Germany and then another section which is basically Oktoberfest.

Leaving Old France, I crossed a bridge near the log flume on my way to Germany. And just around the corner the candy shop appeared.
Germany 1.jpg

Some good fudge in there!
The path through Germany goes by a Christmas store, and a shop that sells cuckoo clocks and beer steins from Germany, among other items.
Germany 2.jpg

Germany 4.jpg

Classic.
Germany 3.jpg

Germany 6.jpg

Germany 7.jpg

Germany 8.jpg

Continuing on to Oktoberfest...

Last edited:

Other than the great restaurant in Oktoberfest, it's not my favorite area of the park. It'sjust a little too arcade and carnival like for my tastes. But the park is so beautiful that it is still a joy to walk through and enjoy.

Here's the entrance, coming from Germany, into Oktoberfest.
Germany 11.jpg
So beautiful! The trees and shade make such a difference!

I didn't take too many photos in this section. Here's a pretty fountain and some detail on the fountain.
Germany 5.jpg

Germany 9.jpg

Germany 10.jpg

Some detail on one of the attractions (a 3-d dark ride)
Germany 12.jpg

And on the way to the next country, another bridge, where you can see the boats and (more) coasters.
Boat 1.jpg

Boat 2.jpg

I'm not the coaster type, but I love watching the riders on these coasters as they snake throughout the park and appear to float through the trees. Very nice!

Next up...Italy!

Italy.

As I crossed the bridge from Oktoberfest, the scenery once again changed. Very nice transformation.

Italy flowers.jpg

Can't forget the flowers. They are stunning!!
Italy 4.jpg

This guy greets you as you arrive.
Italy 1.jpg
More beauty.

Italy 2.jpg

This gentleman works every season (along with another) and sculpts and paints the beautiful capodiamonte that is sold in this shop. They truly are very pretty works of art. He has a wonderful Italian accent and is a kindly man.

Italy 3.jpg

Italy 6.jpg

A gorgeous theatre. Nice to sit and watch a show while enjoying fresh made pasta and salads from the restaurant next door.
Italy 7.jpg

...continued in next post....​

...Italy continued...

There are a couple of adorable rides for young children that fit in with the theming of Italy. This gives the children the feel of flying! It moves very slow, but feels fast to them I'm sure!
Italy 8.jpg

Italy 9.jpg

Around the bend is an area known as Pompeii. The ruins are there, too. There is a great log-flume style ride that takes you through the burning of Pompeii (yes, it's hot in that ride!) and then cools you off as you splash down and get soaked! The water is beautiful.
Italy 10.jpg

Italy 11.jpg

A pretty bridge as you leave Italy.
Italy bridge back.jpg

I hope you all have enjoyed this little trip around Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I have enjoyed sharing these pics with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter