It's a Whole New LAND! February 2016 Updated 2/8

hollyrose1313

Princess
Hi There, Hey There, Ho There!

Cast of Characters:

This is our family’s first trip to Disneyland! We have been to WDW many times but were finally ready to make the pilgrimage to the homeland. We live in Minnesota where it is usually subzero and snowy so California mid-60’s temps sound like a dream!

Holly.jpg
Me: Holly, 33. I work for as a business process analyst for a health insurance company…which is as exciting as it sounds. I did not grow up going to the parks but my awesome husband really introduced me to WDW in my early 20’s and I have been hooked ever since. This technically isn’t my first time at DL as I did get a twilight pass about a decade ago when I was there for a conference for work…but for all intents and purposes I am a first timer too.

*Favorite Disney Movie: ughhhh this is stressful…ummm honestly I really love Big Hero 6 but I think Mary Poppins might be my favorite…oh but I love Pete’s Dragon too! Oh and Cinderella of course! And Sword in the Stone…. Okay well… yeah, I love almost all of them
*Favorite Character: I loved meeting Baymax last year at DHS but I of course also love the main mouse!
*Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom (I am so basic)
*Favorite Ride: Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean

Roger.jpg
DH: Roger 32 (looks about 19) Roger is something to do with creating systems at the same health insurance company I work at (he has told me countless times but honestly I kind of glaze over…all I hear is transponster). He grew up taking family vacations to Disney World and to be honest is way more Disney obsessed than I am. Other than all things Disney his other passion is running marathons, though he has yet to do a Run Disney race.

*Favorite Disney Movie: Frozen or Sleeping Beauty
*Favorite Character: Figment
*Favorite Park: EPCOT
*Favorite Ride: Haunted Mansion

And who I am sure will be the star of this show….

Max.jpg
DS: Maxwell 5 This lucky little boy has already been to WDW 3 times as we have gone annually since he was 2. He is a ball of energy, loves the parks, hates drops (or lulees as he dubbed them his first visit and it has just kind of stuck), loves the characters, adores all kinds of treats, and can be bribed onto most any ride at least once.

*Favorite Disney Movie: His answer is Star Wars Episode 7 but I would also say Frozen and Phineas & Ferb (not really a movie but he sure loves them)
*Favorite Character: Darth Vadar (drawn to the dark side this one is)
*Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
*Favorite Ride: Small World (his fourth birthday was a Small World party per his request)

Coming up next: Plans...

Attachments

• Holly.jpg
    Holly.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Roger.jpg
    Roger.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
also first time uploading photos to this so kind of trying to get the hang of it...sorry no one needs to see a picture of me THAT large but it took so long to get it on there I am too worried to try and play around and make it smaller.

Yay! Following. Fellow Minnesotan, making my first DL pilgrimage in May! Cannot wait to see your report!
Oh awesome! We are pretty excited for a break from the cold, though it does look like we will be above zero until we leave so that will be nice :)

The plans...
We will be arriving at LAX (via MSP with a plane change in DEN) on Sunday January 31 and heading back home Sunday February 7th.
Accomodations:
After a lot of research and trying to decide if we could live on air and water for 4 months in an effort to afford an official Disney hotel we settled on the Howard Johnson.
This is probably the part I am the most nervous about, when it comes to WDW we would never dream of staying off property so we are trying to adjust our mindset.
I think part of the hesitation is that while it sounds like the best place for our family within our actual budget I am just not familiar with the chain beyond a few references in Mad Men.
But none the less, we pre-paid, it is super close, lots of fun swimming stuff (again, we are hearty Minnesotans so 65 degrees is swimming weather), and it does seem like it will be clean and bright so hoping we fall in love and the Ho Jo doesn't turn out to be a Ho No.

Tentative Plans...
Sunday January 31st: we have reserved a rental car through Midway Car Rental so we will pick that up at LAX. DH will drop us off at the hotel (and by drop us off I mean I am sure he will be the one schlepping the bags to our room) and make a Target run for groceries while I unpack and hopefully Max takes a rest. We are planning on heading to Trader Sam's late afternoon/early evening (while kids are stil allowed) for some drinks and apps. Then head back to our room and collapse in exhaustion.

Monday February 1st: Disneyland!!! Yay!!! Get there for rope drop which shouldn't be an issue as I am sure our bodies will still be on Central time so yeah...10 am Pacific should not be a struggle. Planning to leisurely head down main street and making an effort not to remark on how small the castle is. Every year we have done Small World as our first ride at WDW but as it is closed that day we are going to head to Adventureland instead and hitup that and New Orleans Square, and Critter Country and then Toontown after lunch. Snacking and then getting dinner back at Mimi's after 8pm park close.

Tuesday February 2nd: DCA very short hours 10-6 so we are hoping it works in our favor to keep crowds and waits at a minimum. Planning to beeline for Carsland grab a RSR FP and ride standby. Thinking of sticking with carsland and bugs life and pacific wharf (or something pier...dont remember but the one that is boardwalkish). We do not have a dinner plan yet but are thinking of maybe doing RainForest Cafe after DCA closes at 6...or maybe getting a pizza or chinese or something and just relax for the evening.

Wednesday February 3rd:
Disneyland and this will be our Star Wars day, planning on doing Fantasyland too but Star Wars is the focus. Jedi Training for Max (he loved this last year at DHS and considering he thought it really was Darth Vadar I was so proud of how brave he was), meet Kylo Ren, Star Tours for all, Hyperspace Mtn for Roger and I, and probably more star wars merch than we will ever need.
This night after park close by childhood bestie who now lives in Hollywood is going to come and get me and I will spend the night and following day with her while Rog and Max enjoy some boys time.

Thursday February 4th:
Roger is still deciding what to do with Max that day but it sounds like maybe a hike or the beach. I am going to take in all the Hollywood sights with special attention to all things Audrey Hepburn and then we also have tickets to attend Jimmy Kimmel that day. Hoping to get back to our hotel by 8 pm, 24 hours is already too long to be apart from my loves on a family vacay but I rarely get to see my friend so I appreciate Roger giving me that time.

Friday February 5th: Last day at Disneyland :( park is open until midnight though I am sure the friday crowd will be pretty heavy. Spending the day redoing favorites and catching anything we missed and it looks like Small World might be open this day! Have a Blue Bayou reservation at 2:20 and then Max and I will attempt to take a nap or at least a rest until 6 or so in an effort to make it until midnight.

Saturday February 6th
Last day at DCA :( planning on not setting alrams and hopefully sleeping in after a late night. Planning on doing the front half of the park and hopefully grabbing a FP for RSR. I think at some point Roger and I will take turns heading to the hotel to pack. Park close at 10.

Sunday February 7th:
Wake up way too early to make it to LAX to return our car and catch our 8:30 am flight :(

All Packed Up and No Place to Go (just yet):

We fly at least once a year with Max, at this point I feel like I have the flight thing down but a few years ago I know I struggled on what to bring so I wanted to share my carry-on that I bring to keep Max entertained and happy...to keep me sane and happy which keeps my inflight drink orders to a minimum.

First I will state this is for probably overkill but I like to bring a ton because I have been burned on return flights before where he had already done everything on the way down, also this is stuff we keep in our room for him to play with during quiet time or on our rest days.

The Goods:

**Note these are just regular Amazon links, not affiliate links**

Unpacked.jpg

1. Melissa and Doug drawing pad…really any notebook or paper will do I just liked the size of this one and wanted one without lines, also did not want the hassle of having loose computer paper http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-4108-Drawing-Pad/dp/B000IFZ6LA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453509203&sr=8-1&keywords=melissa+and+doug+drawing+pad

2. Connect the Dots…I think my mother in law picked this up at a local education store, I just grabbed one out of our bin of “workbooks”

3. Playmobil My Secret Dragon’s Lair…I am expecting this to be a big hit. Last year I got the Playmobil My Secret Box Police Station and he loved it! Played with it for a couple hours at least on each flight. This folds up and comes with a lot of little pieces that all fit inside. In this particular one there are two guys, a dragon, lots of weapons, and some gemstones. Last year I made the mistake of just putting the police one with his other Playmobil toys so it is kind of old hat now but after this flight I will stash this one away and save as something just for flying.

http://www.amazon.com/PLAYMOBIL-Secret-Dragons-Lair-Playset/dp/B00A30YWE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453509391&sr=8-1&keywords=playmobil+secret+box

4. Melissa and Doug Make-a-Meal Sticker Pad…pretty excited about this one. Past years we have done the make-a-face sticker pads but I think he will like this one a lot. These are one time use stickers but I think we will for sure be able to use it on the way there and home.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Make-a-Meal-Sticker-Pad/dp/B007WDPXFK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1453509738&sr=8-8&keywords=melissa+and+doug+sticker

5. Gel Window Clings…I just pick these up at Target on clearance. Max will usually decorate our window with these while I am getting us in our seats and everything set. Flight attendants are usually really sweet to him about how pretty they look and he always gets a kick out of when the sun comes through them just so to make splotches of color on his clothes or tray table.

6. Melissa and Doug Baby Farm Animals Stamp Set…Are you sensing a theme? I love most things M&D. I like these because they are something we do not do at home so he usually really enjoys them.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Baby-Animals-Stamp/dp/B000FDALPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453509956&sr=8-2&keywords=melissa+and+doug+stamps+farm

7. Washable Markers…these are the Crayola Pip-Squeaks, I like that they are smaller than a regular marker. He will use them in his activity book, for drawing, and to make scenes for the farm animal stamps.

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Wash-Pip-Squeaks-Markers/dp/B003HGGPM6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453510079&sr=8-2&keywords=crayola+pip+squeaks+washable+markers

8. Magic Nuudles…love these! Little mess and super lightweight. They are basically like cheeto puffs (but do not eat them) if you dampen one with water it will stick to another and you can make little creations. I pack a few paper towels that I dampen with a little water. At the end of the flight I just throw the creation away and he is just fine with that. I personally have bought these at Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon but they do also sell them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Jo-Ann-Stores-MAGIC-NUUDLES-CLSRM/dp/B0007LHISO/ref=sr_1_6?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1453510224&sr=1-6&keywords=magic+nuudles

9. And 12. Just little games and cards, we will probably do these in the hotel room more than the plane.

10. Airplane Toy…DH bought this in an airport gift shop (I do not want to know how much it was) but I find in a situation like this a plane toy is quieter for those around us than a car toy and it fits the theme of the day

11. Pipe Cleaners…because why not. Seems like one of those random things that kids can play with. Also they are small, light weight, and inexpensive…these were leftover from some Christmas craft.
  12. Just a deck of cards...Disney Junior, natch.
  13. Wipe Clean Book…just another activity book to use on the trip. This particular one I bought at an Usbourne Book Party.
  14. New Book…I might pack a couple more early readers.
Not Pictured: Pony beads (he can string them on the pipe cleaners), 2 eggs of Silly Putty (currently in my liquids bag for TSA), snacks we don’t eat at home (fruits snacks and teddy grahams), and then portable DVD player and a few DVDs. We have a 2.5 drive to the airport so by the time we get to the flight he is usually over watching movies or playing on our phones but always good to have just in case.

So all of that gear (with the exception of the DVD stuff and snacks) fits in this little foldup bin that slides under the seat perfectly! It is so much easier than rummaging through a bag or backpack every time he wants something new. Actually the meal sticker pad is too big but I will stick that in the seat back pocket. And everything fits perfectly in my backpack and there is enough room for me to bring a book for myself :)
Bin.jpg packed.jpg

Day 1: Travel Day 1/31
We were flying United out of Minneapolis, as this is 2.5 hours from our home we spent the night with one of my best friends...which means we stayed up way too late and had too much fun so 6 am seemed very very early.

We left their house 6:30 and were at our offsite parking lot at 7am. We used Shephard Parking and would totally recommend it. $10 a day and the shuttle was at our car to bring us to our terminal within 2 minutes.

We had a very long line through security and Max's lack of sleep was starting to show...needless to say when we got to our gate about 10 minutes before boarding began for our 8:55 flight I was all too happy to leave Roger with Max and luggage while I went off in search of breakfast. I ended up at Caribou Coffee and grabbed a fruit cup for Max and coffee for Roger and forgot about myself. image.jpeg

We found out that morning that we didn't get the seats we booked so Max did not have a window seat (he was so sad about this) and Roger was about 3 rows back instead of right next to us. But all in all this first leg from MSP to DEN was pretty smooth. Max watched his new lego Star Wars DVD and I tried to read a Jodi Picoult book my SIL lent me (that was a mistake, the second paragraph of the book details a plane crash...umm no thanks) and then flipped through Hemispheres inflight magazine (I miss Sky Mall...flights aren't the same if I am not debating if spending $599 on a lifesize zombie statue for the garden would be a wise and classy investment). After Max finished his Dvd the battery died before I could offer up another show. We ended up doing his Make-a-Meal sticker pad for the remaining hour of the flight.

In Denver we had about an hour before boarding so we grabbed a quick lunch (Steak Escape for me and Mcdonalds for the guys). On this flight we got our favorite seats last row and Max had his beloved window seat. All I can really say about this flight was people clapped when we landed...rough rough flight. Managed to get in a bloody mary before the flight attendents had to sit down for the remainder of the flight.

In LAX we had planned on getting a rental car but decided kind of last minute to just shuttle it instead. We chose Karmel Shuttle with a shared van and it worked out well for us. We ended up being the only passengers and our driver was very nice, would use them again.

Checked into the HoJo and took a chilly stroll to our room, it was high 50's but very windy. We got to our room and Max basically went on strike without food. I had scheduled our Von's delivery for 4-6pm aand it was only 3. I stopped by the gift shop looking for something but when I saw the lunchables were 5.25 i decided to just get take out from Mimi's since the kids meals were 5.99 and came with a drink. Got Max a grilled cheese and french fries which he devoured and gleefully proclaimed "vacation begins!". I also grabbed an order of guacamole and chips for Roger and I, super delicious and a huge portion (Didn't get pics of anything as we were all pretty ravenous).

After some much needed sustenance Max perked up so we all tossed on our hoodies and headed to buy tickets and check out DTD. Roger and I split a Holiday Turkey from Earl of Sandwich (tasty but in the future will stick with my favorite, caprese) and Max got a ridiculousy large lolipop from World of Disney. After spending an hour poking around we decided to head back to our room. All tucked in bed and so excited for our first park day tomorrow :)
(Will try to figure out how to add pics from my phone tomorrow)

Last edited:
Day 2: Disneyland Monday 2/1
We woke up around 6:30 and were all so excited to be waking up in California! We did an order with Von's that was delivered on Sunday night and had fruit and yogurt and such but when Max is excited he has a hard time eating unless it is something he is excited about (I on the other hand have never had a hard time eating a day in ny life) so I placed a to-go order online for Mimi's Cafe.
I ran and picked up the food: chocolate chip pancake (though the chocolate chips were just sprinkled on top) kids meal for Max with OJ and fruit and roasted potatos and an almond croissant for me. While Max and I dug into our carb laden choices Roger went out for "a little" 5 mile run for an hour. The food was good and inexpensive, I would definitely get the side of potatoes again and I think Max will be mighty disappointed to find out it is just yogurt and fruit today.
We left our room at 9:15 and got to the security line at 9:25 and it was much longer than we anticipated. They were not letting people in early (from what we could tell) so it was 10:10 by the time we made it through the turnstiles.
There was a long line at City Hall so we decided to grab First Visit buttons for Roger and Max later on. I feel like most kids would want to get to the rides but Max was really taken with the Magic Windows so we spent a few minutes checking those out before heading to Max's choice of first ride Haunted Mansion. We all really liked it and Max was thrilled to see the hatbox ghost.
Next we went on Winnie-the-Pooh and rode that three times in a row. After that we decided to do Pirate's. Max was freaking out a bit but we knew he would love it (spoiler alert, we were right).
At this point it was 11:45 and it was really windy and pretty chilly. I had on a skirt that kept blowing up and Max was shivering away under my blanket scarf. I ran back to the room for hoodies, hats, and gloves (and to put on jeans). We made a plan to meet at the Golden Horseshoe for lunch and the 1 pm show. While I was gone they went on Haunted Mansion at least once more, Shooting Gallery, and Tarzan's Treehouse.
I made it to the Golden Horseshoe at 12:45 and got two orders of fish and chips for the three of us snd snagged a side table near the front. Roger and Max came right at 1 and the show started right away. Roger was chosen to be in the show so that was fun for us but even without that we really enjoyed this place. The fish was delish and 2 orders for the three of us was perfect and the free entertainment was fabulous!
After lunch we headed back to Haunted Mansion and then grabbed a three pack of Mickey beniegts and a Mint Julep, all was very good but Max especially loved the Mint Julep and drank half of it himself. Oh we also split a churro at some point in the morning that was good but seemed a little plain to me (i am a chocolate lover).
We decided to checkout Fantasyland a little and did the castle walkthrough (loved it!), Pinocchio's Daring Adventure (fun but wish the vehicles went slower so we could take in the details a little), tried to meet Peter Pan but after 5 minutes in line we found out the people 3 in front of us were the end (this is a little frustrating compared to WDW as there would have been a handler there to stop people from getting in line, Max was in his Peter Pan outfit and was a pretty sad), Casey Junior up next (which would have been fine for the 10 minute wait per the app but the actual wait was more like 40 minutes), Storybookland Boats (so cute!), and then off to Toontown until the 5:30 Mickey's Magical Map (We really loved the show and think we will catch it again later in the trip), then we went back and rode Roger Rabbit twice before they closed Toontown at 6:30.
We were on our way to Buzzlightyear when we noticed people lining up for the parade at 7 we decided to snag a spot (near small world) and wait. The parade was so good! The highlight for us was when Peter Pan noticed Max's Peter Pan hat and pointed it out from atop his float and that totally made up for the missed meet and greet for Max. After the parade we did Nemo Submarine (I got kind of sick on this but Max loved it) and a quick spin on Buzzlightyear before heading "home".
We didn't eat an actual dinner but did share a chimichanga, mickey pretzel and cheese, and a chili lime corn on the cob. With the short hours we didnt felt like stopping for dinner.
All and all we had a great time and our looking forward to California Adventure today!

I cannot figure out how to get more than one picture to upload :( think I will just wait and edit when I get home next week to add pics. Sorry for no pics in the meantime as I feel like those are usually the best part.

Day 3: California Adventure 2/2

After the long lines at bag check and the turnstiles yesterday we made it a point to leave the hotel at 8:45 a full 30 minutes earlier than yesterday. Bag check was noticeably shorter and we were three families back at the turnstiles.

They let us into the park at 9:30 and we went with the crowd to be held prior to Carsland. At 10 we just went with the sea of humanity and made our way to Radiator Springs Racers.

We had a 10 minute wait before our turn. I LOVED this ride!! Test Track is my favorite EPCOT ride and this has that beat in my book. Max was on the fence about it. He had a brief panic attack when we got in the car and he couldn't sit on Roger's lap but he was all excited and full of giggles by the time we got off, though he declined to go on it again. I ran and got FP for RSR in case Max decided he did want to go again (he didn't and ended up giving them away).

We then did Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (all enjoyed it, though I am glad we only did it once). We then poked around Carsland until 11 so we could get lunch at Flo's. Roger and I both got ribs but Max decided he did not want anything there and only wanted a corn dog (which I had promised him the day before and failed to deliver on as the line was crazy long right before the PTN parade began...major duh on my part). I finished up and took Max to get his corn dog while Roger finished at a more leisurely pace and went to ride RSR in the single rider line.

On our way to get corndogs I made a (totally out of the way) pitstop for WOC fastpasses. We were approaching the Corndog Castle and I think "Wow! Our lucky day, there is no line!!" No line because they were closed due to "technical difficulties". She said they may open later but she really wasn't sure. Max was pretty upset and in an effort to not lose my patience with him (he put the shade all the way down and the stroller and kept repeating "I am not going to eat anything then") I just sat down on a bench (and pushed him about three feet away). A few workers were walking by and asked how our day was. i said in general wonderful but I failed to deliver this corndog blah blah blah. They were all so sweet and sympathetic to Max and checked to get an ETA on when it would open. They then gave me a voucher for 2 counter service entrees and drinks which was totally unnesssary but a really nice bit of kindness.

Max got out of his funk and ended up having a mandarin, a string cheese, and a Mickey ice cream sandwich for lunch. We met up with Roger and all went to Bug's Land and Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. Then it was my turn to do RSR single rider and grab my beloved Nob Hill Chill from Ghiradhelli (so much my favorite that I realized I only took two pics all day and both were of my Nob Hill Chill). RSR only took about 10 minutes but I had an hour before I was meeting them so I took my sweet time and poked around some shops.

We then met up and went to the Zootopia preview. Really looking forward to that movie coming out as it looks really good. The special effects for the show seemed a little off or too subtle. There is one part with the stingers in the back and Roger and I both thought the person behind kicked us.

Next we decided to go to Monsters Inc, followed by some confusion on what to do next and showtimes not lining up at all. Finally we decided Max and I would go to the Challenge Trail while Roger would try to get us a Starbucks You Are Here mug for our collection and check on the status of the corndog.
We really enjoyed the Challenge Trail and though I love the Wilderness Explorers program at Animal Kingdom I enjoyed that Max was able to complete all these within an hour rather than taking a couple of days.

At some point Roger came back with a corndog and Starbucks in hand (Max and I were both thrilled) and ended up checking out the challenge with us.

We got done in time to head over for the final Disney Jr of the day at 4:15 and like always really loved the show (love seeing Max happy and excited but just seeing all the little ones so excited is just so joyful). When we exited we had 30 minutes before the parade and grab a bench right outside the Disney Jr theater. Roger went off to use our voucher at Pacific Wharf Cafe (breadbowl Chinese salad for and breadbowl clam chowder for him, both were really good) while Max and I held down our spot. A couple from Brazil with a young son came and took the open half of our bench so they were fun to chat with. When the parade started Max and I moved down to curb to get a better view. The parade was very cute and fun but after being blown away by PTN the day before I thought this one was just okay. The cast members said something about the parade route ending near us that night rather than starting there like it usually does but really didn't make a difference to us.

Once the parade was over it was 5:45 so we hustled over for the 6:15 WOC. We had Yellow fastpasses and were on the bottom row right in the very center, absolutely perfect spots (we were closer to the side and behind some people when a castmember came down and told us there was wide open spots in the middle). Oh my goodness I adored this show! It is without a doubt my favorite nighttime show I have seen at a Disney Park. Awesome effects, fun music, and just totally got me in the feels.

After WOC we made our way out and spent the rest of the night relaxing in our room and was nice to have Max asleep by 8:30.

Tomorrow is another Disneyland day and hopefully Jedi Training for Max!

Sounds fabulous!!! Love your updates. I want to eat mandarin and ice cream for lunch. :)

WOC - how early did you get there before showtime?

I'm enjoying your live reports! Thank you for taking the time to write them during your trip. Fellow Minnesotan here and excited to be making our first trip to Disneyland in a couple months.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! :cheer2:

sounds like you are having a great time and getting a bunch done! Seems like much lower crowds than when we were there in October (nothing was a 10 minute wait for us). We also stayed at the HoJo - hope you are liking it!

That was nice of those cast members to give you those vouchers!

paint the night and WOC really are pretty great night time shows/parades/etc.! I assume you all loved the Start Wars part in WOC (that was our favorite!)

WOC - how early did you get there before showtime?
Thank you! We are having a wonderful time and are already planning a return trip :)
Due to the parade we didn't get to WOC until about 15 minutes before the show began at 6:15. If you don't mind getting a little wet I recommend the lower level, though several cast members were commenting on how small the crowds were (guessing short hours, park closed at 6, and pretty chilly temps had something to do with that).

I'm enjoying your live reports! Thank you for taking the time to write them during your trip. Fellow Minnesotan here and excited to be making our first trip to Disneyland in a couple months.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! :cheer2:
Thank you! I am not much of a note taker so it is nice for me to get it all down while i fresh :) hope you aren't getting too clobbered with snow back home!

sounds like you are having a great time and getting a bunch done! Seems like much lower crowds than when we were there in October (nothing was a 10 minute wait for us). We also stayed at the HoJo - hope you are liking it!

That was nice of those cast members to give you those vouchers!

paint the night and WOC really are pretty great night time shows/parades/etc.! I assume you all loved the Start Wars part in WOC (that was our favorite!)
We haven't had much time in our but are loving it so far! The beds are very comfortable and unlike Pop Century, our go-to resort at WDW, I actyally don't hear our room neighbors flush their toilets, the less awareness I have on other peoples bathroom useage the better :)
And yes, loved the Star Wars part! Such an amazing show!

Day 4: Disneyland Wednesday 2/3
We made an effort to head out even earlier this morning and left our room around 8:35 for a 10 am park open. We got there and I could see from a distance only one bag check tent was open and I got a little nervous for another 30+ minute bag check line BUT all was good :) we were through bag check and our secondary screening within a minute.

We got in line at the turnstiles and were four groups back (it was about 8:50 at this point). I left the guys in line and made a quick run to the ticket counter to inquire about adding hoppers to our tickets (we are on the fence as we were planning on doing DCA our last day but don't feel we have a full day of things to do there but also not sure we will want a fourth day at DL...decisions). They started letting people into the park about 30 minutes early which was exciting as they didn't do that our first day there. After stopping for a quick look at the magic windows for Max we waited on the left side of the hub for rope drop.
Today we were heading right back to Peter Pan so we went with the crush of people through the castle. There was a slight confusion on our part on stroller parking but we finally got in line and had a 30 minute wait. Roger and I were kind of debating getting out of line and skipping it since we can always just FP it at WDW and we love the queue there, plus we thought the rides were identical. Well Max wanted to ride so we stuck it out and so glad we did! I thought it was far superior to the WDW version! Such a cute ride and I think we will try to get in one more ride on it later in the trip.

After that we went on Snow White which Max deemed too scary, Castle Walkthrough, Snow White again as Max decided he actually loved it, and the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...we definitely weren't efficient with our choices and had a couple bathroom stops in there.

It was now 11:00 and I cannot remember why we split up but we were going to meet at Alice. i got there first and it was a 30 minute wait and I was already so hungry so we decided to meet at the Galactic Grill instead. I got the Jedi Chicken Sandwich (it was okay, I don't like dijon mustard and I must have missed that in the description or I would have 86'd that), Roger got the First Order Burger(he really enjoyed it as he loves spicy things), Max had the chicken nuggets, and then we split a Light Side drink (I did not like the ball things in there but luckily Rog loved them), and a Darth by Chocolate (super good and almost got a second one later than afternoon). I grabbed a table with a view of Jedi Training as Max decided that morning he did not want to do it, after watching the show and seeing the Seventh Sister (? Or Sixth Sister...I can't remember and all I could think of was the movie 13 Going on 30 and Six Chicks "There can't be a seventh Six Chick") he decided he does want to do Jedi Training so we will head for that first thing on Friday.

After lunch (probably was noon as getting Max to eat during the jedi show was a wasted effort) we grabbed Star Tours Fast Passes (return time 1:50-2:50) and then did a ride on the monorail followed by a wait in Buzzlightyear line to have it go down. We then did the Path of the Jedi movie and Star Wars Launch Bay. We met both Kylo Ren and Chewbacca and it was roughly a 15 minute wait for each. Oh my goodness, Kylo is intimidating! I wasn't expecting him to come around the corner (I thought we would walk to him but when he appeared my heart stopped...wow! Max did fine with Kylo but was more worried with Chewey (he was afraid Chewey would see his AT-AT shirt and shoot him). We poked around launch bay more (or they did, it was our first warm day so I actually went and sat outside and waited for them as I was feeling a little off) until it was time for our Fast Pass.

I had been bribing Max for months that when he went on Star Tours he could do build-a-lightsaber for Kylo Ren. Luckily it worked and he went through with it as he really seemed to like it (didnt want to go again but said he wants to do it Friday) and of course loves his new lightsaber.

After Star Tours I was feeling full-on nauseated so I wanted to head back to the room for a rest. We had told Max the lightsabers couldn't be opened in the parks and he would have to wait for later at the hotel...so surprise surprise guess who wanted to take a rest with mama? It was 2:30 when we left with plans to meet Roger at the Golden Horseshoe for the last show of the day at 5.

I managed to get a little nap in which was just what I needed. We got back to the park at 4:35 so rather than try to coordinate an early meetup with Roger Max and I went on Winnie-the-Pooh quick.

We made it to dinner and were able to get a front row table. We split two orders of fish amongst us again and Roger was chosen to be in the show again :)

We then walked onto Haunted Mansion quick before heading back to Fantasyland. We did Mr. Toad again, Alice with a 30 minute wait (such a cute ride) and then Max requested Pinocchio. We decided to have Roger take him on that while I would go on the Matterhorn and meet up after.

I did single rider and was done within 10 minutes. After some texting Pinocchio was closed down for fireworks so they went on Haunted Mansion again, due to firework closures and parade routing it took me quite a while to make it across. We ended up meeting at Tiki Room and got a Dole Whip Float and enjoyed the show. After that it was 15 minutes before the 7:40 fireworks so we decided to try and get a spot. We managed a good spot but the fireworks were cancelled. Max fell asleep in the stroller at some point so we just grabbed a bench and sat until 8 just taking it all in. I bought my Starbucks You Are Here mug before heading out.

My best friend from childhood lives in Hollywood so the plan was for Roger and Max to have a daddy max day for the Thursday rest day while I spent the day with her. Because of morning traffic she picked me up Wednesday night instead. We took a drive to Mulholland Drive to see all the lights of the city, very pretty! Stayed up chatting and laughing way too late, always so nice to catch up with an old friend.

Up next Hollywood day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter