It's a SO-LO PTR (Nory makes it a tradition!)! Oct '10: More Solo WDW Madness!

Hey Nory:goodvibes,

Sheesh, I'm behind! Anywho, regarding your above plans, Crystal Palace breakfast is better than the lunch IMO. Liberty Tree Tavern is delish! Totally get the tri-corner roast beef, DH and I loved it last year. The toffee dessert thingy is good, except they shower it with those hard sprinkles! Ugh, I hate those things! Kona is another of our favs too. If you wanted to get out of MK for a bit, that might be a good option.

Hmmm, where to hide a prophecy in the MK? I suppose it could depend on what type of prophecy it was? Something tangible or rather just a clue? Are you looking for more well known spots or something obscure? Since I don't know that, here's my offhand ideas:

The giant teapot in the middle of the Mad Hatter teacups. The doormouse pops up out of it every so often. That's pretty obscure though, right?

Maybe somewhere along the Jungle Cruise? That sounds adventurous. Oooh, maybe you could only go when it's dark too. It could be located in that temple ruins area? Or is that too Indiana Jones?:laughing:

My last suggestion would be the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. You'd only be able to see the prophecy (or clue to it) by riding the carpets at the top? Does that sound lame? It makes sense in my head but it sounded weird when I typed it out.

Good luck!:goodvibes

My debut novel (The Snowball Effect) was published by HarperCollins earlier this year. It's contemporary YA. I'm working on a middle grade novel right now and since it's for a younger audience I have NO idea what I'm doing. :)
Congrats on your first novel! That must have been so exciting! And I'm sure you'll figure the middle reader stuff out...I've been immersing myself in middle grade fantasy lately, which I figure will help (or can't hurt, in any case).

Hey Nory:goodvibes,

Sheesh, I'm behind! Anywho, regarding your above plans, Crystal Palace breakfast is better than the lunch IMO. Liberty Tree Tavern is delish! Totally get the tri-corner roast beef, DH and I loved it last year. The toffee dessert thingy is good, except they shower it with those hard sprinkles! Ugh, I hate those things! Kona is another of our favs too. If you wanted to get out of MK for a bit, that might be a good option.
Hi 3pp, good to see you again! I've been behind on everything myself lately. Just got back from the quickest trip ever, to a wedding in Sausalito, which has totally wiped me out. We flew out on Friday and back on Sunday -- way too much flying just to spend 10 hours in heels! :rotfl:

The CP breakfast looks much better to me than the lunch, so it's good to have that confirmed. And now I've changed things a bit, so I have a LTT ressie, too (I was having trouble getting one before). I'm about to update with my changes, hopefully tonight.

Hmmm, where to hide a prophecy in the MK? I suppose it could depend on what type of prophecy it was? Something tangible or rather just a clue? Are you looking for more well known spots or something obscure? Since I don't know that, here's my offhand ideas:

The giant teapot in the middle of the Mad Hatter teacups. The doormouse pops up out of it every so often. That's pretty obscure though, right?

Maybe somewhere along the Jungle Cruise? That sounds adventurous. Oooh, maybe you could only go when it's dark too. It could be located in that temple ruins area? Or is that too Indiana Jones?:laughing:

My last suggestion would be the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. You'd only be able to see the prophecy (or clue to it) by riding the carpets at the top? Does that sound lame? It makes sense in my head but it sounded weird when I typed it out.

Good luck!:goodvibes
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm still in the process of figuring out the details, but I know the prophecy will be an actual paper or scroll or book or something like that. It will contain clues to the things she has to find and do in order to defeat the Evil.

I have so many more ideas about it, but I feel weird sharing them here until I have more of the thing written. It's so much fun to think about!

So...somehow, what was originally a 2-night trip, then a 3-night trip, has now turned into a 4-night trip!

How did that happen? :rotfl:

Well...Lately, I've really been needing a vacation. We didn't get to take a honeymoon, and we've been on a two really quick obligation trips (dad's birthday in Wisconsin and friend's wedding in CA), but they've only been two nights each, which ended up making them far more stressful than relaxing. Plus, the holiday season is approaching, which is by far my busiest time of the year at work.

DH starts an exciting new job next week, and really can't get away for a while. I was thinking I didn't want this WDW trip to be too long, because I felt kinda guilty being away. But I was also having a hard time fitting everything in that I wanted to do in just three nights, especially considering I want to spend time taking pictures of every little detail in the MK, to help me with book ideas. And I don't want to be 100% go-go-go the whole time...I really need to relax, at least a little bit.

So. As of yesterday, I've added a night to the beginning of my trip! At POR! :yay: I couldn't get another night with a discount at CSR, so I figured this was just a good opportunity to add a 3rd resort to my trip! I considered trying CBR, but it ended up being a bit more expensive. And I was really tempted by the cabins at FW -- I love the idea of staying in one of those and writing at night! -- but I thought I'd better save it for another time, when I'll be there for more than one night.

Here's my revised itinerary. Any thoughts?

Day 1 - Tuesday
-- I should get to POR by 11:30.
-- MK (closes at 7:00 for MNSSHP)
-- lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
-- Dinner Option 1: Epcot, eat at Nine Dragons, maybe catch Illuminations afterward if I feel up to it
-- Dinner Option 2: eat at POR food court, relax for evening, write
-- Dinner Option 3: eat somewhere in DTD?

Day 2 - Wednesday
-- sleep in a little bit (I probably won't sleep in much, but I'm not going to worry about RD)
-- taxi from POR to CSR
-- Epcot: FP Soarin', stroll around WS a bit
-- Lunch Option 1: Les Chefs de France
-- Lunch Option 2: walk over to DHS, Brown Derby
-- back to CSR, explore resort, relax
-- Dinner: that new Mexican place at Epcot
-- Illuminations, maybe EMH

Day 3 - Thursday
-- leave luggage with Bell Services
-- AK, near RD
-- Lunch: back to CSR, Pepper Market
-- taxi to Poly
-- relax, explore resort
-- Dinner: Wave
-- MNSSHP

Day 4 - Friday
-- Breakfast: room service (I have to do this once on every trip!)
-- DHS RD, TSMM dash (if I'm too tired, I might just forget about TSM this trip and skip RD, we'll see)
-- Lunch Option 1: Brown Derby
-- Lunch Option 2: over to Epcot, Chefs de France
-- Dinner: Kona
-- MNSSHP

Day 5 - Saturday
-- sleep in, leave luggage with Bell Services
-- late Breakfast: Crystal Palace
-- MK
-- late Lunch: Kona
-- afternoon: ME to MCO

I'm a bit confused about my Epcot/DHS days...it would be simplest if I just made Day 2 an Epcot day, and Day 4 a DHS day. But Touring Plans lists Epcot as a park to avoid for Day 2, because of those evening EMHs, so I'm not sure if it'll be unpleasantly busy or not. I'd like to just play it by ear, but I don't want to hang onto two lunch ressies for both days...any advice?

One more day! YAY! :thumbsup2 I know you are planning a solo trip, but 3 days were too few for my taste LOL! If I could help to decide about your EPCOT-DHS days I would vote you to avoid EPCOT the day Touring Plans lists it as too busy.

And for you novel... If something is going to be hidden it must be at the Tom Sawyer Island. Buried or hidden in an inconspicuous prop.... or real antique posed as a prop. And to get there I would make the hero(es) follow lots of clues following secrets all around the park... and backstage. For a very risky factor I would put a clue that has to be found using the now defunct skyway... :rotfl:

Hi Tribilin! It's been awhile -- how're you doing?

Tom Sawyer Island is a great suggestion...I'd actually already thinking that TSI was going to be the "safe space" for our heroes, so that would actually make a lot of sense.

Hi Tribilin! It's been awhile -- how're you doing?

Tom Sawyer Island is a great suggestion...I'd actually already thinking that TSI was going to be the "safe space" for our heroes, so that would actually make a lot of sense.

Hey nory! I'm doing fine, thank you! I just got back a few days ago from Las Vegas and I'm getting up to date with my board surfing responsibilities :rotfl:

I really like Tom Sawyer Island for a place to hide. It's very calm and surrounded by water... it is also kind of eerie in some places :rotfl:... and I think it closes when is getting dark in the afternoon, so it must be the first place in the park to be empty of guests... and it's the last part to open too.

I'm here now, read through all your plans! I'm so excited for you about writing a novel AND for adding another night!

You mentioned going to Kimmonos in the first few rounds of The Plan; however, do you know there is a wonderful sushi bar right IN the Poly? It's right next to Kona! http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=494#menu

I *believe* you can order from it if you are dining at Kona as well. But not 100% certain.

2. Stuff I haven't done ever or often or for a long time, but will do this time for research - train, Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer Island, Snow White, Buzz, Monsters Laugh Floor, Stitch's Great Escape?

Wow. You are serious about this novel thing if you are going to endure Stitch for it! ;) Be prepared

So...

If you were going to hide a prophecy somewhere in the Magic Kingdom, where would you hide it?

Assume all props are real, and that you have total access.

Hmmm...that's a tough question. I first thought Peter Pan because it's a Classic, and it's pretty dark in there - a bit mysterious. But I do really like the TSI suggestion as well. Maybe BTMRR could be fun too...there are tons of those random boxes and muskets and dynamite, an element of danger.

I'm no help! :rolleyes:

Day 3 - Thursday
-- leave luggage with Bell Services
-- AK, near RD
-- Lunch: back to CSR, Pepper Market
-- taxi to Poly
-- relax, explore resort
-- Dinner: Wave
-- MNSSHP

The Pepper Market is kinda meh. We weren't impressed with the food, or the prices - which are high for a quick service and the quality. It's busy in there, kinda crazy and hectic too. So, if it works in your plan, I would suggest to grab some AK quick service before you leave the park.

But then again, eating at a resort is part of the experience!

As for the crowds on your DHS/Epcot days, it might not be such a problem for you as a solo tourer. You can hit the Single Rider lines on the big attractions and just weave through the people a lot easier. I've found with the new Touring Plans site too that even some of their "Parks to Avoid" days with EMH, the actual crowd level is pretty low in that park.

Oh - and one more comment - as if this isn't long enough! ;) We watched the Epcot film in France this past trip and really enjoyed it! I would recommend it!

Hi 3pp, good to see you again! I've been behind on everything myself lately. Just got back from the quickest trip ever, to a wedding in Sausalito, which has totally wiped me out. We flew out on Friday and back on Sunday -- way too much flying just to spend 10 hours in heels! :rotfl:

The CP breakfast looks much better to me than the lunch, so it's good to have that confirmed. And now I've changed things a bit, so I have a LTT ressie, too (I was having trouble getting one before). I'm about to update with my changes, hopefully tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm still in the process of figuring out the details, but I know the prophecy will be an actual paper or scroll or book or something like that. It will contain clues to the things she has to find and do in order to defeat the Evil.

I have so many more ideas about it, but I feel weird sharing them here until I have more of the thing written. It's so much fun to think about!

Good grief, that is a lot of traveling in a short amount of time for a wedding! I hope it was for someone important!:laughing:

I think your ideas thus far sound great! I understand feeling weird sharing them here though. Good luck with the details! Prophecies are very intriguing, especially for a YA.:thumbsup2

Your new plans look good too. 4 nights solo sounds heavenly! And I love the idea of writing in one of those cozy FW cabins! It sounds so...literary!

For Day 1 I'd consider eating at DTD, you could take the boat over and that would be very relaxing.

Day 2 Chefs de France was ok, nothing to write home about. At Brown Derby you could fantasize that you're a mysterious writer, eating there to glean information from the unsuspecting patrons! But I'd save the Brown Derby for your DHS day though. Maybe 9 dragons at Epcot since you'll already be there?

Day 3 looks fabulous!

Day 4 looks great and that's when I'd do Brown Derby for lunch! Dinner at Kona is ridiculously delish, good choice.

Day 5 sounds heavenly and relaxing. I see you have Kona for lunch. I've never had lunch there so I can't really comment. But, if you're already at the MK, maybe The Plaza would be cool?

Hi 3prettyprincesses (can I call you 3pp?), thanks for the tips! Right now I'm definitely leaning toward the Poly beach for my last night. But it'll really depend on how much energy I have that night. I found on my last two trips that it was a very fine line, being solo, between relaxation and boredom. If I'm too ancy to relax, I might be better off at EP mocking (on the inside, probably) the drunks!

You are making me rethink my dinner reservation for that last night, too. Maybe I'll cancel Chefs (since I'm not too enthusiastic about eating there, anyway), and if I want a sit-down meal over by Epcot, I'll just stroll over to Kimono's at the Swan (where you can't make an ADR anyway). And then I'll make an ADR at the GF, so if I end up Poly beach-ing, I'll have a nice sit-down dinner beforehand...maybe GF Cafe, which I've always wanted to try, or maybe Citrico's...my mom & I ate there in May and loved it, and they have a bar I could eat at. I like eating at the bar when I'm alone (often better service, and I don't feel so conspicuous if I'm reading a book or something).

Wow, the more I think about it, the more I like this plan! Thanks, 3pp! :thumbsup2

Have you been to Crystal Palace for lunch? It seems like I only ever hear about it for breakfast...

We have had lunch at CP and we loved it. There was a good selection on the buffet, it was all hot and fresh and the interaction with the characters was great! The CP is a tradition for me, as we always ate here when I was a kid. My daughter who was 5 the first time we brought her loved it, and was thrilled to lead the parade with Eeyore!

Sorry I've been slacking on this! DH got a new job, writing full-time for a big magazine...it's all very exciting, and I'm so proud of him. But it's taking a little while for both of us to get used to the change: it's a whole lot of work, and he now works from home. So we're doing quite a bit of transitioning around here. I've actually been feeling a little guilty that I'll be taking a trip without him so soon, when he's dealing with so much change. :sad2:

Just two pieces of news before I reply...

1. I somehow managed to get an ADR for Le Cellier for lunch on my Epcot day! :banana: I still can't believe it!

2. I bought this swimming suit, on the off chance I actually get into a pool this time!
1047594544_N54CE-M.jpg

Tribilín;38518782 said:
I really like Tom Sawyer Island for a place to hide. It's very calm and surrounded by water... it is also kind of eerie in some places :rotfl:... and I think it closes when is getting dark in the afternoon, so it must be the first place in the park to be empty of guests... and it's the last part to open too.
As soon as I get to the MK my first afternoon and collect one FP, it's off to TSI for me!

I'm here now, read through all your plans! I'm so excited for you about writing a novel AND for adding another night!
Hi Brooke, thanks for making your way over here!

Wow. You are serious about this novel thing if you are going to endure Stitch for it! ;) Be prepared
Wow, is it really that bad? Now I'm frightened! :rotfl:

Hmmm...that's a tough question. I first thought Peter Pan because it's a Classic, and it's pretty dark in there - a bit mysterious. But I do really like the TSI suggestion as well. Maybe BTMRR could be fun too...there are tons of those random boxes and muskets and dynamite, an element of danger.
There will definitely be a part in PP, and in BTMRR! I can't wait until I can start sharing more about it!

The Pepper Market is kinda meh. We weren't impressed with the food, or the prices - which are high for a quick service and the quality. It's busy in there, kinda crazy and hectic too. So, if it works in your plan, I would suggest to grab some AK quick service before you leave the park.
I've definitely heard that before, about PM. I think that I was just craving a quesadilla when I was making my plans. :laughing: I think I'll just play lunch by ear that day...if I'm hungry in the AK, I'll grab something at Flame Tree; if not, I'll grab something at PM. I think I actually may try to work in a little time at either the CSR or the Poly pool that afternoon...

As for the crowds on your DHS/Epcot days, it might not be such a problem for you as a solo tourer. You can hit the Single Rider lines on the big attractions and just weave through the people a lot easier. I've found with the new Touring Plans site too that even some of their "Parks to Avoid" days with EMH, the actual crowd level is pretty low in that park.
Yeah, I decided to stop worrying about it. It probably is just because of evening EMH that Epcot's a Park to Avoid, so hopefully it'll be fine in the morning...and if not, I can deal! After all, if there's no one to hear you get cranky standing in line, you don't get cranky standing in line, right? ;)

Oh - and one more comment - as if this isn't long enough! ;) We watched the Epcot film in France this past trip and really enjoyed it! I would recommend it!
I'll have to check it out! THanks for the tip!

Good grief, that is a lot of traveling in a short amount of time for a wedding! I hope it was for someone important!:laughing:
Well, let's put it this way: It was someone important enough for us to go, but not important enough for us to be happy about it!

I think your ideas thus far sound great! I understand feeling weird sharing them here though. Good luck with the details! Prophecies are very intriguing, especially for a YA.:thumbsup2
I'm totally excited about some of them...now I just have to figure out how to, you know, write well! :rotfl:

Day 2 Chefs de France was ok, nothing to write home about. At Brown Derby you could fantasize that you're a mysterious writer, eating there to glean information from the unsuspecting patrons! But I'd save the Brown Derby for your DHS day though. Maybe 9 dragons at Epcot since you'll already be there?
Thanks to my miraculous last-minute Le Cellier score, I no longer have to worry about this at all!

We have had lunch at CP and we loved it. There was a good selection on the buffet, it was all hot and fresh and the interaction with the characters was great! The CP is a tradition for me, as we always ate here when I was a kid. My daughter who was 5 the first time we brought her loved it, and was thrilled to lead the parade with Eeyore!
Hi, kjungrl, :welcome: I'm pretty excited for my CP breakfast...it seems like the perfect thing to do on my last day!

Wow... how have I missed this? Damn marketing budget :rotfl:

How cool that you're writing a book that takes place in WDW!

And that swimsuit is super cute!

How fantastic you could get a last minute Le Cellier ressie!

Can't wait to hear about the trip! (P.S. with your added days are our trips overlapping at all?)

Cute suit! I hope you make it to the pool for some relaxing time!

I hope all slows down and falls into place soon with your DH. All that kind of stuff is exciting and stressful at the same time. Kudos on the new job though!!!

I just got back on Saturday! It was an amazing trip all around...I did lots of research for the book and pretty much figured out 80% of the plot (now I just need to write the darn thing), had a blast with short lines and the Halloween parties, and even got some relaxing time in there.

I'm not sure when I'll start the TR...I have to finish my current one first, I suppose. Plus, I think I might try writing this one all at once, before I start posting it, for a change. So keep your eyes open for it when it shows up in a month or so! :upsidedow

Hey Nory, welcome home!:goodvibes Glad to hear you had a great trip too. Of course it was all for research though, right?;)

Wow, we would've been at Disney at the same time (our trip was supposed to have been Oct. 17th-25th) but I had a severe case of food poisoning at home which landed me in the hospital for 3 days! We had to cancel our entire trip, talk about bad timing! I think I was more annoyed about that than actually being severly ill!:laughing: Where are my priorities?:laughing:

Looking forward to the trip report. Hope you took lots of pics!:goodvibes

Welcome home! :wave2:
Thanks!

Hey Nory, welcome home!:goodvibes Glad to hear you had a great trip too. Of course it was all for research though, right?;)

Wow, we would've been at Disney at the same time (our trip was supposed to have been Oct. 17th-25th) but I had a severe case of food poisoning at home which landed me in the hospital for 3 days! We had to cancel our entire trip, talk about bad timing! I think I was more annoyed about that than actually being severly ill!:laughing: Where are my priorities?:laughing:

Looking forward to the trip report. Hope you took lots of pics!:goodvibes
Oh, 3pp, that's terrible! What rotten timing. :guilty: Have you been able to reschedule?

And don't worry, I took a ton of pictures. Even after I deleted all the blurry ones, I still had over 1200 left!

Welcome back Nory! I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures and hearing about the trip.

Oh, 3pp, that's terrible! What rotten timing. :guilty: Have you been able to reschedule?

And don't worry, I took a ton of pictures. Even after I deleted all the blurry ones, I still had over 1200 left!

:laughing:1200! Great! Last Oct. I went through 2 SD cards and DH was like, what on earth are you taking pics of?:laughing: Can't wait to see what you've taken.:thumbsup2

Welcome back! Sounds like both a successful trip work-wise and fun-wise! I look forward to reading the TR, and your book. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter