Its a Small World

OUShrek

Earning My Ears
I heard this today while I was at Downtown Disney pin trading and I heard from a cast member that this will be the last year for It's a Small world because of "Americans getting to fat" basically that they cant put as many people in the boat as they need to and it would cost to much to do the complete over hull that would be needed. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this or anything like this?

The rumor you are refering to is the Small World ride in Anaheim. It's currently down for an extensive rehab.

Ok, I almost started to cry! This is my Mums favourite ride and so sentimental for me!!

Please keep us updated if anyone hears of any other rumours.

thanks
Xanthe

Out of all the rumors I have heard lately.. I would put the least amount of stock in this one...

I just don't see this happening.... I expect IASW to be there 30 years from now. The ride has a huge capacity and it's a favorite of many. In fantasyland it's by far the highest capacity ride. If they got rid of it the other lines.. Peter Pan, Pooh, and Snow White will grow exponentially.

It actually is the end for ‘It’s a Small World’ at Disneyland.

After the “make over” the attraction will be nothing but a “brand experience” boat ride to hock various Disney & Pixar franchises. Mary Blair’s artistic masterpiece will be lost behind surfing Stitch’s, flying Aladdins and bubbling Nemo’s.

I’m sure the Dole Whip crowd will go ga-ga over it.

It actually is the end for ‘It’s a Small World’ at Disneyland.

After the “make over” the attraction will be nothing but a “brand experience” boat ride to hock various Disney & Pixar franchises. Mary Blair’s artistic masterpiece will be lost behind surfing Stitch’s, flying Aladdins and bubbling Nemo’s.

I’m sure the Dole Whip crowd will go ga-ga over it.

That's the ray of sunshine and happiness we all know and love!

Do you walk around grumpy and negative or just save it for the DISboards?

The rumor was started by cast members who lost their minds listening to the music theme over and over and over...

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

But I have to admit, the Dole Whip comment was pretty funny...your was just funnier dwaters.

I had read somewhere that the reason that they were doing a refirb to it's a small world, is because the average weight in America has gotten heavier since the ride opened and that they had to make the depth that the boats travel deeper because the boats were scraping the bottom.

I had read somewhere that the reason that they were doing a refirb to it's a small world, is because the average weight in America has gotten heavier since the ride opened and that they had to make the depth that the boats travel deeper because the boats were scraping the bottom.
This rumor was partially debunked by an imagineer who claimed it was not the heavier people causing the problem, but instead the numerous layers of fiberglass repairs to the bottom of the boats eventually "building up" till they extended too deep and began to scrape more. Im sure my big butt doesn't help either.

Wow...heavy, I for one appreciate AVs outlook on the whole Disney thing.

Wow...heavy, I for one appreciate AVs outlook on the whole Disney thing.

Sorry.
I was kind of grumpy when I typed that.

It's just that I go away from the rumors board for weeks and sometimes months and it's alway the same thing when I come back. The same poster with the same complaints "Disney is bad" "Disney is greedy" "The quality isn't there. Blah, blah. blah" "They sell crappy merchandise and charge too much"

Not that some points aren't valid, but I like a little balance with my gloom and doom.

Not that some points aren't valid, but I like a little balance with my gloom and doom.
Okay, so every kid has to make the soccer team.

Tokyo Disney Resort is stunning. There is not a single major aspect where I think they have strayed, where they are not trying to live up to the very highest level of Disney standards. Tokyo DisneySea is a brilliantly designed park, a place that shows everything that's been learned in the fifty years since Disneyland, a place that might have actually impressed Walt himself.

The problem with today's Disney comes from a management that is driving poor decisions. They do not like the parks as a business, and personally, they just got get the appeal. How can you run a business well if you don't have any interest in it and where they mock their own customers? But things are now to a point where they can't even listen to their own customers - they're closing Pleasure Island because "quests tell us they want more branded shopping and dining"?

We're not that stupid, but Disney thinks we are.

Sorry.
I was kind of grumpy when I typed that.

It's just that I go away from the rumors board for weeks and sometimes months and it's alway the same thing when I come back. The same poster with the same complaints "Disney is bad" "Disney is greedy" "The quality isn't there. Blah, blah. blah" "They sell crappy merchandise and charge too much"

That's understandable. But that's the kind of thing that goes on here on the rumors and news board. If a person does not care to hear about it, it is a pretty good idea to go to one of the, I guess you can call them "happier" areas of the boards such as the Resorts or the Food and restaurant areas.;)

I just spoke with my in-laws who are both cast members and work on the Small World Ride in Orlando. They have not heard that rumor at all. I think this is exactly that...a rumor. :banana:

The "It's A Small World - Buy the Plush" version is already open at Hong Kong Disneyland. It was done there under the pretext of "introducing" Disney characters to a Chinese audience. Because of years of postponed maintenance at Disneyland in Anaheim (which is the same show sets and ride system that were used for the 1964 World's Fair) required some significant work. To help fund it, and at a corporate directive, a second run of the figures for Hong Kong were made (it's always cheaper to make multiple copies than one-off rides). They are being installed and the soundtrack changed as part of the overall "Disney Parks" branding concept. Disney does not think you just want to see 'It's A Small World'. They think you want to see Areil, Nemo, Buzz and Woody...all those dolls of color just make The Franchises more marketable.

There have been prior postings even on these boards about the plans. Disney has been publically defending them through press releases. You can hunt down video of the Hong Kong version now on the Internet. I really like the way 'A Whole New World' drowns out 'It's a Small World' in the Arabia section when Aladdin and Jasmine are shoved in your face. I'm usually not one for Hollywood irony, but in this case it fits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter