• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~ It's a PROTEST! UPDATE! Disney PhotoPass called - it is fixed!!

Perfectly stated. I copied it because it was worth repeating, and it summed up my thoughts beautifully. I have a feeling Disney may have some unadvertised magic in store for these families, and that's the way it should remain. :wizard:

Exactly. I've seen the magic they perform for these families. At the end of their trip, there is nothing that they have to complain about. The gratitude to Disney is genuine and well-deserved.

I would also like to add that I know Disney doesn't care one fig about protests. They don't like to be bullied into their decision-making. Making friends with them and staying their friend is best way to keep Disney providing their magic. :wizard:

Wow.

I have just read through this thread and I am so very saddened...

I just need to add my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Our photopass pictures from our wish trip are our last family pictures that we have with our son. (And, yes, we also handed our camera over and got pictures on it too as some have suggested. But they do not compare to the photopass ones, especially after editing.) At the time, photopass sharing was allowed on the board, and that was the only way we could afford to buy the cd.

Those pictures are now priceless...

I shudder to think that we would not have gotten the cd if the price were as high as it is now. So many families like ours spend every extra penny on expenses related to their sick child. If Disney is in the business of making a dying child's wish come true, then certainly this is not too much to ask of them.

Maroo, you've done a great thing here. I can't believe this turned into such a debate. Glad that there is good news from Disney!!

Which was also NOT discouraged by the DIS. I guess as long as members of the Board are getting something for nothing it's okay, but not anyone else. :rolleyes:

I think they ended up stopping them on the BB - didn't they?

There are a lot of posters here that absolutely disagree with the photopass "shares."

Not only did some of us wonder about the legalities of this, but reading the horror stories of people who got ripped off should have been enough to keep people from participating..

When I go to Disney, my photos are extremely important to me - important enough that I'm willing to purchase my "own" Photopass - regardless of the cost.. It's just one of those things that get worked into the budget - like a character meal or two..:thumbsup2

i'm kind of curious about something. What exactly did disney say when you originally called them about this issue. Did they say that the MAWers would have to follow the policy?

Or did you assume this, and cause a stir without a baseline of knowledge? I suspect that you didn't call, and that they already had a policy in place.

Here is what happened - now that I am at a computer and can type a longer response...

I found out about the PhotoPass going up and sent an email to the PhotoPass general mail asking if the families at Give Kids the World would qualify for the discount.

I got a form letter back saying that they would not.

I responded to that email asking the question more specifically and I got an answer followed by a form letter. The 2nd email was from Mike.

They were all very nice...but they simply said that it was the policy of Disney PhotoPass to only allow discounts for those staying onsite. This included wish families staying at GKTW.

My email back to them stated that I was going to hopefully be able to get a letter writing campaign going to see if they can pass the discount on to the Wish Kids.

Then this morning, Friday, I called Disney PhotoPass and spoke to a CM. He told me the policy - about 5 times on the phone and said that there was nothing they could do. He said that they are each their own boss and that there was not a supervisor there. He said the supervisor does not take calls.

I gave him my phone number (how else do you think they called me back? Of course I called them?) and explained what I was wanting to accomplish.

After I hung up - I sent the first TWEET out.

Within 22 minutes of the first TWEET, I receive a call from the same CM at PhotoPass telling me that he wanted to reiterate the policy for me, but that they were working with "various organizations" to offer something for some groups. But - he said that this would not help the families coming in the next month, because it will take a while.

I told him I understood, but that I would like to offer a suggestion (namely that they give the codes out at the GKTW orientation that each family attends - that would be the best way to get it out - instead of going to Make a Wish and Dream Factory and Children's Wish Foundation). He said that he didn't have anything to do with that.

I told him that my campaign would continue - that I wanted a way for the families going soon to have a way to get the discount.

The first tweet I sent was still being retweeted, evidently.

I was at the doctor's office with Lauren this afternoon when the Marketing Director called me. We had a long conversation and I don't want to misquote her in any way. But basically they were having issues with the pre-paid "codes" going out to everyone. (I personally thought it was ok for everyone to have the pre-pay - that was something they offered to everyone if you pre-pay)...but evidently it was always supposed to be the policy that the pre-pay discount was supposed to be a PIN type of discount. Not offered to everyone.

Then she explained that they were trying to come up with a way - and avoid fraud - where they could get the codes directly to the families and that they were looking into sending them to the organizations. I explained my idea of only giving them directly to GKTW and she seemed to like the idea.

She is going to email me, personally, some codes that I can give to the few families that we have going in the next few weeks as they come up with a procedure going forward.

They TOTALLY understand what the PhotoPass means to these families. They completely understand how hard it is to tote around a camera when you have so much going on with your special needs child.

She was great to talk to.

And I can't wait to buy - at FULL PRICE - my PhotoPass for my trip in December.

They have one very happy customer! :) Businesses that take care of our Wish Kids will get my business and "Go Disney" tweets for weeks for what they did for these kids! :love:

Wow.

I have just read through this thread and I am so very saddened...

I just need to add my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Our photopass pictures from our wish trip are our last family pictures that we have with our son. (And, yes, we also handed our camera over and got pictures on it too as some have suggested. But they do not compare to the photopass ones, especially after editing.) At the time, photopass sharing was allowed on the board, and that was the only way we could afford to buy the cd.

Those pictures are now priceless...

I shudder to think that we would not have gotten the cd if the price were as high as it is now. So many families like ours spend every extra penny on expenses related to their sick child. If Disney is in the business of making a dying child's wish come true, then certainly this is not too much to ask of them.

Maroo, you've done a great thing here. I can't believe this turned into such a debate. Glad that there is good news from Disney!!

:(

Thank you for posting here.

For those of you that are unaware...This is the Mom of our precious Noah - For whom this :littleangel: is named. That angel is in honor of sweet Noah, who passed away in late July.

I am so thankful you have those pictures. I thought of you guys as this was playing out....how much those pictures of your whole family in front of the castle mean to you guys.

I am happy to tell you that future wish families won't have to worry about losing any of those pictures!

:hug: :hug:

I am shocked this turned into a debate, too? :sad2: Really. Shocked.

But I am on several threads and forums and the vast majority of people that knew about this were all in agreement that Disney should extend the discount like they do for onsite guests.

Hang in there, my friend.

We love you and are praying for you every day!

You do know that there are many families with special needs children who have the same concerns, difficulties and fears as those that have been involved in that program, don't you. I was reading your thread, and the arrogance that other families don't have a clue was overwhelming. I lost a child who was special needs. Downs with a hole in his heart. I knew what it was like to have the special stroller, the oxygen, the feeding tube. No one bought us anything. Our finances were devastated in his last 3 months. We filed bankruptcy 6 months after he died.

Luckily we had pictures of our trip taken with the camera at the time. We survived without special Disney photos. So before you go claiming ignorance and all the other attitudes you pushed try taking a step in the shoes of others. Yours aren't the only ones that have walked through crap.

You do know that there are many families with special needs children who have the same concerns, difficulties and fears as those that have been involved in that program, don't you. I was reading your thread, and the arrogance that other families don't have a clue was overwhelming. I lost a child who was special needs. Downs with a hole in his heart. I knew what it was like to have the special stroller, the oxygen, the feeding tube. No one bought us anything. Our finances were devastated in his last 3 months. We filed bankruptcy 6 months after he died.

Luckily we had pictures of our trip taken with the camera at the time. We survived without special Disney photos. So before you go claiming ignorance and all the other attitudes you pushed try taking a step in the shoes of others. Yours aren't the only ones that have walked through crap.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

I don't know how you feel, but you seem to be directing a certain amount of bitterness at the OP who is trying to do something nice for others. I'm sorry no one did it for you, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done for others. Using terms like arrogance and ignorance isn't necessary.

The hate, the vemon, the spite on this thread chills me to the bone. Do you heartless, cruel, hateful people not realize that you are scoffing at true heroes? They've had hardships you couldn't even imagine, damn it! How can you be so incredibly rude as to say that Wish kids don't deserve a dicount on their pictures, their memories?

I was a cancer kid, and a Wish kid. I know what it's like to have little money because of bills and other expenses due to my illness. It ate me up because I knew the hardship boiled down to me. And you seriously, SERIOUSLY don't think that it would be worth it to give them a discount, or get one free? Most Wish kids are sick or DYING. You think it's undermining Disney to give a dying kid's family a few more memories?

When I went on my trip I was 12, and well. But most Wish kids are younger and some have special needs or equipment. This takes good amounts of time and care, and I'm sure most parents couldn't juggle keeping their child comfortable and happy and try to take pictures at the same time. They honestly have enough on their plates already.

You are sick, sick people. This is shocking. Enjoy your health, your ability to buy a PP CD full-price. Many would do anything for it.

The hate, the vemon, the spite on this thread chills me to the bone. Do you heartless, cruel, hateful people not realize that you are scoffing at true heroes? They've had hardships you couldn't even imagine, damn it! How can you be so incredibly rude as to say that Wish kids don't deserve a dicount on their pictures, their memories?

You missed the whole point. The Op was trying to blackmail Disney by going on a public board and asking to write protest e mails and letters.
She gave Disney a bad name and she did the WKF no favor.

They have one very happy customer! :) Businesses that take care of our Wish Kids will get my business and "Go Disney" tweets for weeks for what they did for these kids! :love:

Thank you for your passion Maroo! I would raise my eyebrows as some of these people did as well, if it had been a wish family who was vocalizing their protest. Coming from a compassionate "friend" of Wish families made it very sweet. I saw no blackmail, no greed, just concern that a group of people Disney usually goes all out for had possibly been lost in the policy.

I continue to marvel at the good this world has to offer and am choked up when our family is offered kindness from strangers.

You missed the whole point. The Op was trying to blackmail Disney by going on a public board and asking to write protest e mails and letters.

I agree with you!:thumbsup2

Nowhere in this thread did anyone spew hate or venom to the OP (or anybody else for that matter).

The hate, the vemon, the spite on this thread chills me to the bone. Do you heartless, cruel, hateful people not realize that you are scoffing at true heroes? They've had hardships you couldn't even imagine, damn it!
Respectfully, you don't know that. You don't know what any random poster here (or any person not close enough to you to share everything) has gone through in their lives - what difficulties, challenges, losses, etc.

Soon2be4 said:
I personally like how everyone assumes a wish family is able to afford a fancy digital camera to take all these wonderful pictures themselves. The
Fancy digital camera? Why? What's wrong with a basic film camera? They come in all price ranges. Heck, so do digitals - I saw a reasonable one the other day for about $80.

The hate, the vemon, the spite on this thread chills me to the bone.
I didn't read any hate, venom or spite on this thread until your post.

How can you be so incredibly rude as to say that Wish kids don't deserve a dicount on their pictures, their memories?
Nobody said anything of the kind. Please go back and quote if you think otherwise.

The hate, the vemon, the spite on this thread chills me to the bone. Do you heartless, cruel, hateful people not realize that you are scoffing at true heroes?

That's funny in a ridiculous, overly dramatic sort of way.:lmao:

I was a cancer kid, and a Wish kid. I know what it's like to have little money because of bills and other expenses due to my illness. It ate me up because I knew the hardship boiled down to me. And you seriously, SERIOUSLY don't think that it would be worth it to give them a discount, or get one free? Most Wish kids are sick or DYING. You think it's undermining Disney to give a dying kid's family a few more memories?

When I went on my trip I was 12, and well. But most Wish kids are younger and some have special needs or equipment. This takes good amounts of time and care, and I'm sure most parents couldn't juggle keeping their child comfortable and happy and try to take pictures at the same time. They honestly have enough on their plates already.

You are sick, sick people. This is shocking. Enjoy your health, your ability to buy a PP CD full-price. Many would do anything for it.

Lots of people have hardships. That was one of the points made. You don't know what my family has been through, so quit spewing the hate yourself.

Wish families have money given that can be used for whatever. That includes pics, right. That was another point made.

And you know very little about the health of others. I am in a wc about 1/4 of the time, and it will only get worse. Frankly, your health mayvery well be better than mine. I filed bankruptcy after my child died. times are tough for a lot of people. I would have loved a free trip with my child, but we didn't KNOW he was going to die. We thought we'd spend our lives caring for him with his tubes, and lifts, and inability to recognize who we are except as an infant recognizes his mom.

No one DESERVES a discount. That is called entitlement. And there is very little "fair" in this world. So, you might want to consider your blessings and realize you don't have a clue where others are coming from. Just a thought.

PrincessK, you are right, and I apologize. Sometimes you don't know when the anger is going to come up. And I do really believe the adage I quoted earlier about gift horses.

Lots of people have hardships. That was one of the points made. You don't know what my family has been through, so quit spewing the hate yourself.

Wish families have money given that can be used for whatever. That includes pics, right. That was another point made.

And you know very little about the health of others. I am in a wc about 1/4 of the time, and it will only get worse. Frankly, your health mayvery well be better than mine. I filed bankruptcy after my child died. times are tough for a lot of people. I would have loved a free trip with my child, but we didn't KNOW he was going to die. We thought we'd spend our lives caring for him with his tubes, and lifts, and inability to recognize who we are except as an infant recognizes his mom.

No one DESERVES a discount. That is called entitlement. And there is very little "fair" in this world. So, you might want to consider your blessings and realize you don't have a clue where others are coming from. Just a thought.

PrincessK, you are right, and I apologize. Sometimes you don't know when the anger is going to come up. And I do really believe the adage I quoted earlier about gift horses.

:hug: I am so sorry for your great loss and hardships :hug:

Sorry to all that lost a child. That is something no parent should ever have to experience.

I'm real confused on how starting a Tweet and letter writing campaign to get a policy changed is blackmailing the company whose policy you are trying to change. Could you explain that for me? :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter