• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's 6:15 PM! Do You Know How Big YOUR Signature Is???

BethR

<font color=red>On Thread Killer Patrol<br><font c
***Be sure to check my most recent post - #62 - regarding number of images and file size. :)***

I have been noticing a lot of signatures that are out of compliance of our Signature Guidelines. The two things that seem to be the biggest problems are

1. Pictures that are sized too big
and
2. More than the allowed number of lines of text.

Please read the DIS Signature Guidelines and check things out with your own signature. If you need help with resizing, you can get help on our Technical Support Board .

You don't want the "Signature Police" to come after you! :moped: ::cop:

Thank you. I almost wish I was not in compliance! I don't have any idea how to get those great pictures and signatures in my posts! :confused3
If it wasn't for the tag fairy, I wouldn't even have a cute saying under my name!! :love:

I do know how to put the smilies in though, and use them at any chance I can LOL
:banana:

js, signatures can be a lot of fun. Go to the top of the board, click on "User CP (Control Panel)" then on the left of the page, click on "Edit Signature" and then go to work. Start by just putting in your name and a couple of smilies. Then you can try adding other things, one by one - maybe start with the date of your next Disney trip. Give it a try. :)

smellyann said:
I want the tag fairy to visit ME! :(

smellyann, the Tag Fairy cannot be summoned. :( Their work just simply appears. I don't know of any magic words to get them to visit.

BTW, my tags are over 3 years old. I got them when Wishydoo started this Thead Killer Thread. So it really is a rare, magical moment to be visited by the Tag Fairy! ::yes::

After looking at mine I realized I was out of complience. I hope that this is ok now. If not I guess you will tell me.

BethR, thank you very much! Last night a wonderful Dis'r
Tinkerbell_Tiffany
PM me and made my signature for me! How wonderful! That is why I love this place! :banana:
Thank you for the instructions! I hope mine is good now or that will be a whole new headache LOL :crazy:

js said:
BethR, thank you very much! Last night a wonderful Dis'r
Tinkerbell_Tiffany
PM me and made my signature for me! How wonderful! That is why I love this place! :banana:
Thank you for the instructions! I hope mine is good now or that will be a whole new headache LOL :crazy:

It's so nice!!! Aren't DISsers GREAT! :thumbsup2

But unfortunately, your Tink (the first one)'s size is too high. If you right click on the image itself you can take a look at the properties. It says that your bigger Tink has a height of 310 pixels. It isn't supposed to be more than 200 pixels. :(

There are ways to resize these things, but that is something that *I* don't know how to do. But I am sure that there are other friendly DISsers who would be willing to help. ::yes:: Hopefully someone can come to your rescue.

Because everyone responding is being so mature and nice. I also am computer illeterate. Don't know how to do anything but go on Disboards.

BethR Thanks for the info. will try to give myself a signnature and even attempt to post a picture, once Kiddos take nap. I also wish I can tag myself.

Keep up the adult conversation!!!!

BethR said:
It's so nice!!! Aren't DISsers GREAT! :thumbsup2

But unfortunately, your Tink (the first one)'s size is too high. If you right click on the image itself you can take a look at the properties. It says that your bigger Tink has a height of 310 pixels. It isn't supposed to be more than 200 pixels. :(

There are ways to resize these things, but that is something that *I* don't know how to do. But I am sure that there are other friendly DISsers who would be willing to help. ::yes:: Hopefully someone can come to your rescue.

you know I didn't know that, didn't see it in the rules so I guess I need to look at my signature too and make sure it is ok as well. :)
I will change the picture for her and I will sen you the new code so you can update your signature. sorry about that. :rolleyes1
anyways if anyone needs any help just pm me.

I am at work right now so I will get your siggy ready tonight.

For anyone that missed the link to our Posting Guidelines in my first post, here they are:

Is your DISboard Signature Legal?

In order to keep the DISboards both friendly and efficient, there are guidelines users are to follow when developing their signatures. Many users are unaware of the guidelines and unknowingly create signatures that in many cases exceed the guidelines.

NOW is the time to check your signature and make certain you're legal.

While we send out notices to those users who have signatures that do not meet guidelines, this is time consuming for the moderators and Tech Support volunteers on these boards. In some cases when a user does not correct a signature, it is necessary for us to delete their signature entirely. This can be unfortunate if someone has put a lot of effort into creating their signature.

The MAIN violations we commonly find are listed below:

1. No more than three images are allowed. All of the following each count as an image: (1) A photo, (2) A Clipart, (3) A Countdown, (4) A 'sparkly' signature, (5) Any non DISboard smilie, (6) Eggs. Note also that WISH images each count toward the maximum of three images allowed.

Thus if you have a sparkly signature line, 2 photos, 3 countdowns, 2 eggs, and 1 WISH, your total image count is 9, or triple the allowed number.

Remember, if you add any type of Holiday decorations to your signature, it all counts toward 3-image maximum.
------------------------------------------------------------
2. No single image may exceed 550 pixels in width nor 200 pixels in height. The old standard was that all images combined must fit within a single 400x400 square. This was changed earlier this year to the current requirement. If you have a signature developed to the old requirements, you need to fix it to meet the current requirements.

The most common item we find are users with an image that is greater than the allowed 200 pixel maximum height requirement. Be sure you check ALL your images in your signature to be sure none of them exceeds 200 pixels tall.
3. The TOTAL filespace of all your images combined must not exceed 50KB. (That's 51,200 bytes).

One item we commonly find are uses of animated gifs which can have very large filesizes. If you have an animated gif such as a sparkly signature, or other 'moving' image, be sure you add up all the filesizes for all images. If you have highly detailed photos, it's also easy to exceed the 50KB combined filespace limit.
4. The TOTAL number of lines in your signature may not exceed 12. All of the following count as a line: (1) a line of text, (2) a blank line, (3) an image of any kind on it's own line (such as photo, countdown, smilie, egg, etc), (4) any type of spacer such as a dashed line.

The most common item we find here are users with a long vertical list of their WDW trips. Instead of putting all these on separate lines, one on top of the other, it's suggested you put them on one horizontal line going across the page. Many users do this and differentiate the trips by using different colors, etc.

Note: The above items are not all inclusive. There are other signature requirements. You can see the full Signataure Guidelines with samples by clicking HERE . This also gives you an explanation on why the guidelines are important.

If you don't know if your photo, countdown, etc meets guidelines, you can look at your signature in one of your posts, and right-click directly on the image, and from the drop-down menu, select PROPERTIES. The image's properties will show. There you can get both it's filesize and it's dimensions ( Width x Height). If the height dimension is greater than 200 your image does not meet guidelines.

If you add up the filesizes of all your images, and the total exceeds 51,200 bytes, then you do not meet guidelines.

You can see a typical Properties screen in the example below.

18721PropertiesExample-med.jpg

Thank you for your cooperation. If anyone needs technical help, feel free to visit the Technical Support Forum .

Also, there is a very detailed post regarding the Signature Guidelines with Examples If You Click Here to Go to a Post on the Technical Board.

I don't mean to be mean about this. I am just letting you all know about these guidelines since I am seeing a lot of signatures that don't "measure up."

I just thought that it would be easier for everyone to take a look for themselves, rather than have to be reported TO the Signature Police and then to be arrested BY the Signature Police and have your signature confiscated. :teeth:

Bumping up for this evening's crowd. party:

I am still seeing LOTS of oversized photos and too many lines of text (but MOSTLY photos that are too big.) :(

Please check your signature and the DIS Signature Guidelines to see if you need to edit your signature!

:thanks:

Posting out of interest as to if i'm good or not.... LoL

Have you checked YOUR signature lately??? :dogdance:

I read the guidelines but still don't know if mine is too big. Please let me know....

CDN said:
I read the guidelines but still don't know if mine is too big. Please let me know....

Hi and :welcome: to the DIS CDN! :wave:

In order to find out if the size of your clip art (your Tinkerbell) is allowable, put your cursor over the clip art and right click. A window will pop up with the properties of your image.

The box that pops up when right clicking on your Tinkerbell says (among other things) that the width is 332px, the height is 299px and the file size is 70.18 KB (71865 bytes). So unfortunately, the height exceeds the guidelines by 99 px. :( This is something that I have never learned to do, but I think that if you posted on the Tech Board, someone over there would be willing to help. Good Luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter