Itinerary Critique

PrincessBelle39

DIS Veteran
Hi guys

Hoping you might be able to critique my itinerary for June/July 2014. We did visit all these places back in 2005 but my girls were only little then and we want them to see these places also. This trip they will be 12 and 9.

We wont be booking flights for another 3 months so we are planning way in advance. We are however locked into these dates due to our school and ballet holidays.

This is what we have so far.

Sat 28 Jun Depart Melbounre (Australia) for Las Vegas.
Sun 29 Jun Las
Mon 30 Jun Las - Grand Canyon Tour
Tue 1 Jul Depart Las Vegas for Death Valley. Overnight Furnace Creek
Ranch.
Wed 2 Jul Dep Death Valley for Yosemite.
Thu 3 Jul Yosemite
Fri 4 Jul Depart morning for San Francisco
Sat 5 Jul SFO
Sun 6 Jul Start drive down coast to Anaheim. Most of day in Monterey.
Mon 7 Jul Another night along coast somewhere???????????
Tue 8 Jul Stop in Los Angeles for sight seeing on way to Anaheim where
we will overnight.
Wed 9 Jul Anaheim
Thu 10 Jul Anaheim
Fri 11 Jul Anaheim
Sat 12 Jul Depart very late to fly back to Melbourne.

Any suggestions or discussions would be greatly appreciated.

You haven't booked much time to see the sights in Death Valley or Yosemite. To come this far you should spend more time at each locale.

Yes I know. Its not a lot of time. We are really restricted with the two weeks. I figured with Death Valley it would be too hot to do much. We thought that we would just swim in the pool at the hotel and have a look around during our drive in and out. Too hot for horse riding or anything like that. I do wish we had more time in Yosemite though. I did think about driving the coast with just one night and adding the extra night to Yosemite but to be honest, I think my kids would prefer the extra time at the beach and Disneyland.

I would probably skip Death Valley, and stay the night in Bishop, Mammoth, or June Lake. Mammoth and June Lake in particular will be beautiful that time of year, and much more pleasant weather. You could still drive through Death Valley on your way, if you wish, and do some sightseeing. But it will be horribly hot, life-threatening if you break down and haven't brought enough water. Personally, I would probably bypass Death Valley to the north or south - the northern route via 95/266/128 is a bit shorter. But stay somewhere like June Lake, and enjoy the mountain air and much cooler weather.

Then, enter Yosemite from the east and take Tioga Rd (route 120) through the park. Breathtaking! Make sure to stop at Olmsted Point along the way. Breathtaking views down Tenaya Canyon to the valley.

-Bob

I would probably skip Death Valley, and stay the night in Bishop, Mammoth, or June Lake. Mammoth and June Lake in particular will be beautiful that time of year, and much more pleasant weather. You could still drive through Death Valley on your way, if you wish, and do some sightseeing. But it will be horribly hot, life-threatening if you break down and haven't brought enough water. Personally, I would probably bypass Death Valley to the north or south - the northern route via 95/266/128 is a bit shorter. But stay somewhere like June Lake, and enjoy the mountain air and much cooler weather.

Then, enter Yosemite from the east and take Tioga Rd (route 120) through the park. Breathtaking! Make sure to stop at Olmsted Point along the way. Breathtaking views down Tenaya Canyon to the valley.

-Bob

Thank you. I will definitely look at that. Last trip we travelled down the Tioga Road from Yosemite to Death Valley. This was a September trip, and while we loved Death Valley, even at that time of the year it was exceptionally hot. The idea of the Lakes sound fantastic. To be honest, the thing the kids are most looking forward to in Death Valley is swimming in the hotel pool. I think a lake would impress them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!