items stolen from luggage

4HOLIDAYS

DIS Veteran
We sailed on Wonder 5/9/10 and had items taken from our luggage. It was a gallon size bag of Meds-all but 1 was over the counter meds-about $150-200 worth. Also a stack of papers , cruise docs,momentos... All were from the same outer pocket of the luggage that was put out in the hall. The Rx had my name on it as did our papers.

I spoke with the lost and found(not that we thought it was lost) but that is who I was told to call and they came up with nothing. I told them it sounded like someone had "sticky fingers" and they said that they think it sounds like that also and sorry about it.

Anyone else have exp. with items disappearing from the luggage that was set out?

We always lock our luggage to avoid this, and only use hard sided luggage.
Although those kinds of items are normally recommended to only be put in your carry on luggage, not your checked bags.

Bummer... sometimes people are so dishonest. I also lock my luggage. I don't use hard sided luggage as the weight limits would be restrictive for airlines. These type of suitcases tend to be heavier. I don't know what you can do about it though. I had my wedding ring stolen on the Magic and I'm pretty sure it was the room steward but there is no way to prove it. Now, I never take my ring off at all even for swimming or showers. I was doing something that I had done for years and I would put my ring in my sock drawer in a sock. That's why I think the room steward stole it. Luckily had insurance for my ring was able to get a replacement. But I got the same response when I went to loss and found. Just really disappointing as they probably know it is a problem. I was really disappointed in their response. They actually made it seem like it was my fault.

I've never had such a thing happen. However...a hint....you can wait till you see your room steward removing luggage and basically hand the luggage right to him; it will go directly out of the hall on his dolly!

Terrible for those of you have had had items taken.

We have cruised once, didn't have anything taken. We did lock our luggage when we put it in the hallway for pickup night before we left.

I didn't lock nor did I have anything stolen, but the TSA took exception to my magalite. They put it inside my Dod glass!

Another option is to put zip ties on your luggage. It makes it harder to open it and get something out quickly. This is what we do.

I've never had such a thing happen. However...a hint....you can wait till you see your room steward removing luggage and basically hand the luggage right to him; it will go directly out of the hall on his dolly!

This won't remove the possibility of things going missing at all. The luggage is handled by a number of employees. In addition, once at the port the luggage is normally handled by employees of the port, not the cruise line. There is no way to know who may have taken the items.

I think this is fairly common..I really blame the airport employees more than a Disney crew but you never know...

We just returned from the Med cruise...we had 5 checked baggages, all bags had a front pocket on the outside of the main suitcase area...all bags were packed so tight that if someone tried to reach in and grab something, they'd never get it closed! :) But EVERYTIME on all of our flights I would REZIP that pocket on the outside and by the time it made it to us on the baggage claim, ALL zippers were opened!! I'm sorry, but that could not be due to shuffling of the bags...

I would report it to the airports you went to and ask that they add more security on baggage handlers...

So keep those outside pockets easy, too tempting in todays economy woes...

Tara

I think this is fairly common..I really blame the airport employees more than a Disney crew but you never know...

We just returned from the Med cruise...we had 5 checked baggages, all bags had a front pocket on the outside of the main suitcase area...all bags were packed so tight that if someone tried to reach in and grab something, they'd never get it closed! :) But EVERYTIME on all of our flights I would REZIP that pocket on the outside and by the time it made it to us on the baggage claim, ALL zippers were opened!! I'm sorry, but that could not be due to shuffling of the bags...

I would report it to the airports you went to and ask that they add more security on baggage handlers...

So keep those outside pockets easy, too tempting in todays economy woes...

Tara

^^^ I would have to agree with you. The one time we had something taken from our suitcase was when we were coming back from Chicago's O'Hare airport. We had family members give us a ride to the airport. One of them gave our DD a super cute "Italian gellato" T-Shirt she had purchased in Rome the week before. Since my suitcases were full to the brim and already locked, I packed the T-Shirt and a brand new toy inside the outside front pocket of the larger suitcase. The sad thing is that DD had made the toy herself at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Once I zipped the outside packed, I checked our luggage with the airline's baggage handler. When we arrived back home, both the brand new T-Shirt and toy were missing from the front pocket of the suitcase (which was unzipped). I filed a report with the airline but needless to say we never saw those two items again. :mad:

I would hate to think this about a fellow DISNEY guest, but it sounds like to me it was a guest, not a Disney worker. I'm sure something like this might have happened before, unfortunately, but w/ so many people responding as having not had this happen, it just sounds like to me it was another guest who had the sticky fingers (IMO).

Unfortunately if you items were out in the hall it could have been another guest rather and a CM.

It does sound like it could have been anyone, including another guest. I never put anything in the outside pockets that I worry about losing/having stolen. I always pack my documents and medications/money/credit cards in my carryon which I also lock once we board. You never know when you are seated and someone is fishing around in the overhead compartments what bag they are getting in. Sorry about your experience.

I feel so bad that you had this experiance on your cruise! This is just terrible and honestly something that I have not heard of! I hope that this does not affect your memories and keep in touch with DCL to see what they plan to do about it!

I would also contact your DR. to make sure that they replace your meds and /or cancel them and list them as stolen!

So sorry!

I have cruised many times and on one cruise, we saw young boys going through people's luggage in the halls. It wasn't a Disney cruise, it was either RCCL or Carnival, but the same thing could happen anywhere. I felt like popping those little buggers.

I really try to pack light now, I'm not as into the formality of it as you are when it's something new. If you can pack light (1 rolling bag?) and handle your own luggage, you can often do what they call "self-assist" and take your luggage off the ship in the morning with you. Then you can avoid putting it out in the hall.

Well I stick my dirty undies and socks on the out side. If they want to steal them, they have more issues than sticky fingers.:rotfl2:
I haven't had anything taken thankfully. But I would hate it if I did.

My friend did have money she was going to make a deposit with after a Dr. appointment. She was taken to the room set her stuff down they the nurse said she needed a urine sample. So she went to the restroom and left her things in the room. Came back had exam left to go to bank next and well the envelope was gone. Never leave anything valuable around, can't trust others. I am bad at this as I tend to trust too much.

We lock our bags whenever we're not around to keep an eye on it...even when it's in our hotel room. On the ship, I removed all the clothes out of it anyway so, there was nothing to take out. The only thing I pack in the outer pocket are my slippers. I like to cable tie that though... A lot of times, because we're going across the border, I'm more concerned about people putting things into my luggage than them taking stuff out. The cable ties won't stop them but it might slow them down enough that they'll try another suitcase than waste time on mine.

When you have zip ties on your luggage, don't you need to remove them when they go through security or get checked in at the airport?

What about scissors, I know you can not carry those on board.

I like the idea of the zip ties just trying to figure out the details.

Well I stick my dirty undies and socks on the out side. If they want to steal them, they have more issues than sticky fingers.:rotfl2:

Love this!! :thumbsup2 Definately going to do it on my next trip. I ussually try to tuck those things in the middle of the suitcase to be hidden, but after this thread I am going to use them like crazy.

We also have not used TSA locks, because I had always thought it made you more of a target and people say they are so easy to pick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter