• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Itchy & uncomfortable or do-able? Princess dresses

Jessfromjersey

Earning My Ears
Just wondering if Disney Princess dresses are wearable for a whole day after BBB. Traveling in Oct and have an 8 am BBB appointment for my dd4. Worried about dress being to hot, itchy or uncomfortable. Found a very cute cotton Princess dress on Etsy but I don't want my dd to see all the dresses from the Disney Store on the other girls anD feel left out. Thoughts?

Not that I saw. DD wore hers most of the day. October is warm but not humid at all. You should be ok. If she sweats a lot you could go cotton.

Why would she feel left out? Shes going to Disney, shes 4. I doubt she will care.

Your appointment is early. Let her wear the dress until lunch and then change her clothes. The extra outfit will be easy to carry and come in handy if the temp is in the 80's.

Our previous trip was in April. The morning was fine, but by mid-day it was hot! Little girls were melting in their princess outfits and parents didn't seem to understand why the girls were cranky. :confused3

I've been worried about this. We're going in Nov or Dec, so it might not be too hot, but I worry about itchy. We will bring our own dresses and surprise the girls. I bought the Rapunzel wedding dress for my 8 year old. I looked at it at the Disney store before buying it online and it doesn't seem to have any scratchy parts that touch skin. I still need to decide about my other girls. I'll still be prepared for them to want to change halfway through the day, but hopefully they can make it for awhile.

We've found that it depends on which princess dress it is. Example- DD5's Cinderella dress is comfy enough to be worn from dawn to dusk...however, DD3s Ariel dress is super scratchy in the sleeves area and is only tolerable for a couple of hours.

Last time we went, we had a late appointment time, so DD was able to wear it for the rest of the evening. This year they will be going quite early so I am bringing a change of clothes. Better safe than sorry.

My DD wore the floral Rapunzel costume from the Disney website on our last trip. I purchased a short sleeve ballerina leotard online to go under it but she still complained about a little itching around the sleeves where the leotard didn't cover. Of course if we had gone in warmer weather the leotard would be out of the question. If you do decide to get a leotard cut the seems in the crotch so you don't have to take everything off to go potty. Also we did the princesses first thing that morning and after that she was ready to change.

My oldest could have wore hers 24/7. My youngest wanted it off right after walking out of BBB.

Go with the cotton one from Etsy!!!! The ones from the Disney Store do not breath and are itchy. DD wears the cotton ones all the time and gets tons of attention and is comfortable!

I think it depends on your princess. We bought a Belle dress in January. My second grader put it on after lunch and was crying about how itchy it was during Fireworks. My daughter is picky about how clothes feel. The Belle dress has a lot of crinoline and is bulky. Plus they were $65.

My kids would never wear one of those dresses for more than an hour or so - probably long enough to trick or treat. They did love to play dress up but again never wore a dress for long.

It probably depends on the kid, the dress and the day ! I would at least bring something comfy for her to change into.

When my dd's did BBB they both wore something from home. My youngest wore a cinderella themed skort and top from the Disney store and the oldest something new she picked out but not Disney themed.

AT BBB we saw girls in the fancy dresses, girls in disney themed outfits, girls in Disney theme homemade botique outfits and girls in regular shorts and tops. Whatever works for your princess is best :)

It definately depends on the child. The first time we did Cinderella's Castle princess breakfast, she went in her Cinderella dress. It was either July or August, so very hot. I brought clothes to change into after the breakfast, but she wanted no part of it. Thinking back I even think that it might have been a scratchy type one. But everybody was making a fuss over her and she refused to take it off. Of course, everyone was staring at me like how could I make my daughter wear that dress in the hot weather....which, up until then, was what I would think about other people when I say their children in the costumes all day. I really think it was the attention that she was receiving that made her insist on keeping it on.

The one time I did insist that she take her costume off was the year of the white Mary Poppins dress costume. I had to carry that outfit around almost the whole week before we saw Mary Poppins in the same white dress. Not sure how it is now, but back then Mary Poppins was at the Grand Floridian, but in the black outfit, and the characters were not guaranteed at the castle, and of course, when we went to the castle breakfast, Mary Poppins was not there that day. It was a cast member who made the Mary Poppins meet happen towards the end of our stay and it was definately one of our most magical memories there.

Thanks for the advise ladies! I purchased a dress from Etsy, cotton and comfy but still super cute! My dd wears princess dresses almost everyday for dress up playing so I am sure she will want to wear it all day in the MK. Can't wait for Oct!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter